Rapunzel vs Anna

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Rapunzel vs Anna

Post by Jay »

Who do you like more and why?
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Re: Rapunzel vs Anna

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Anna, perhaps. I'm not wild about the "cute and clutzy innocent naive princess" character that Disney is so fond of but Anna was likeable.
At least the film presents us why her loneliness is actually a bad thing and how she commits mistakes and has flaws, underneath that "gosh darn it" plucky personality. And she leaves aside her "I want more" wishes to help her sister, much more engaging that she been self-centered all the film.

Rapunzel's cheeriness and quirkiness annoys me. She's probably my least favorite princess alongside Belle.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

I guess I am leaning more towards Anna because I feel she has suffered a lot more than Rapunzel when it comes to matters of her life. Anna's parents are dead, Elsa not telling her own sister why she has to stay away from everyone, feeling trapped in a castle, causing Elsa's powers to go beserk and feeling guilty of it, etc.

Rapunzel's only problem is that she's trapped in a tower by Gothel and she wants to go see the lights. Don't get me wrong, I really love both characters, it's just that Anna has a lot more to offer than Rapunzel in the grand scheme of things.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It's pretty even for me. If I had to give the edge, it'd probably be Rapunzel, but narrowly.

The two characters have similarities, but I see them as different (which is the same way I can love Ariel, be ambivalent to Belle, and hate Jasmine--despite all supposedly being "spunky" princesses).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

I forgot to add that Anna has the better "I Want" song than Rapunzel's.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Rapunzel.

To me, she does indeed get pip Anna to the post as the better of the two. She's flawed, funny, excitable, and honestly brilliantly written. The split personality / panic scene "Best. Day. Ever!" / "Break her heart? Crush her SOUL" shows more depth and personality then a whole host of some of the other princesses combined!

And she's relatable, to me at least. And I'm sure I'm not the only one with a complicated relationship with their mother. The sly and subtle put downs by Gothel and Rapunzel's reaction is something I've experienced a lot; it was a very well written take on a verbally 'complicated' mother / daughter relationship. Much more so for me then Brave if I'm honest.

If Anna came a bit later than Rapunzel, maybe it wouldn't be so noticeable the similarities between the two, but it just came too close together for Anna to truly stand out. Don't get me wrong, Anna is a great character, and has some brilliant one liners, but suffers from Rapzunzel being used as her template. Most jarringly for me in 'For The First Time In Forever' when Anna sings about her 'sophisticated grace' and smacks herself in the face with the curtain tie; for me, that is taken directly from when Rapunzel smacks herself in the face with her frying pan whilst talking to herself in the mirror. Just too similar.

Two brilliant characters, but Rapunzel wins for me.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

I don't know which one is better, per say, but I personally like Rapunzel a bit more….just a bit though. Both are cute and likable.

Others…
Flynn vs. Kristoff - Winner: Flynn, hands down.

Maximus vs. Sven - Winner: Sven

Pascal vs. Olaf - Winner: Olaf, no question.

Gothel vs. Hans - as an old school Disney Villain, Gothel wins. As a charming asshole, Hans wins.

Tangled King & Queen vs. Frozen King & Queen - Winner: Tangled King & Queen. The Frozen king was kind of a terrible father.

???? vs. Elsa - No counter character to compre her to so, Elsa wins this one.

Thugs vs. Trolls - Winner: Pinocchio cameo.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

DancingCrab wrote: The Frozen king was kind of a terrible father.
But he looked like Walt Disney :P

Anna all the way, no question, Rapunzel's 90's attitude " Best Day Ever " !!! annoys the fwok out of me. While Anna does have some of that, it's toned down and her positive yet naive personality feels more real imo.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Anna has more complexity, better comedy, better songs, and she's a little more awkward and spunky than Rapunzel to me. I like Rapunzel but sometimes I find it hard to explain why. She's just cheery and sort of goofy. I find her supposed quirkiness a little artificial to be honest. I also like Kristen Bell more than Mandy Moore.

Flynn vs. Kristoff - Kristoff, which I didn't expect because Flynn is hotter :lol: I really liked how "normal" and masculine Kristoff was for a Disney hero, and I liked Jonathan Groff's voice work.

Maximus vs. Sven - Sven. A reindeer was something new at least.

Pascal vs. Olaf - Olaf obviously.

Gothel vs. Hans - Gothel is more memorable and I like true villain songs.

Tangled King & Queen vs. Frozen King & Queen - Tangled. Even though they don't really do much they convey a lot of emotion throughout the movie.

???? vs. Elsa - This is a big reason why why I like Frozen more. Elsa is such a unique character.

Thugs vs. Trolls - Trolls. I like their song a lot more and I've never been a huge fan of the Tangled thugs.
LADY Image CLUCK
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Rapunzel for me.

Yes the modern speech was annoying, but Anna wasn't that different in that area, so that cancels each other out. I liked Rapunzel's character development a bit more.

But personality wise, they are.... truly similar. I know Disney and a lot of fans are saying the opposite, but I'm not seeing it. They're both spunky, awkward and fearless. Elsa is the true departure from the mold. Far more interesting than both Anna and Rapunzel.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

PatrickvD wrote:Elsa is the true departure from the mold. Far more interesting than both Anna and Rapunzel.
Now that is a very interesting point. But I don't think she will be as much part of the Disney canon for that very reason. Types different from the mould in the women of Disney are often left on the sidelines; Meg etc.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:Now that is a very interesting point. But I don't think she will be as much part of the Disney canon for that very reason. Types different from the mould in the women of Disney are often left on the sidelines; Meg etc.
Nah, she's a magical princess/queen with THE IT song of a huge blockbuster hit movie. She'll be fine.

I think Meg suffers because she's associated with a movie that Disney just doesn't care about anymore.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Elsa'll be far from being forgotten. She and her movie has turned quite popular and her song is pretty much nowadays the icon for queer kids, it'll be hard for Disney to put her into the trashcan of oblivion ala Esmeralda or Jane Porter. :lol:

Anna, on the other hand...

Seeing how popular her sister is, and how many people were underwhelmed by Anna in the film, and how Rapunzel is similar to her but more popular, I can see Disney changing their minds next year and only adding Elsa to the line, as to make her "unique".

That's pretty much why Eilonwy and Kida aren't in the line: if they're similar to other more succesful princesses, there's no need for them at all. Kida's a less popular Pocahontas-Mulan hybrid, so they scrap her in favor of the other two, and Eilonwy's pretty similar to Alice, so they use the one the public knows more of.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

While I'm not a fan of neither of them, I prefer Anna. Mostly because she was more funnier, more energetic and wittier.
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

i like anna more. she started out on her journey with no man or animal side-kick to lean on, except for having to leave someone in charge of the kingdom. punzie needed flynn before she got the courage to run away.

but, elsa might well be my favourite female character of any movie, disney or otherwise.
big kid at heart
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

Bandwagon time

Already said Team Anna

Flynn vs. Kristoff - Kristoff he's cuter, he feels more raw and deep and Flynn honestly annoys me too much, sometimes he feels to Dreamworks-y " The Smolder " ugh, Kristoff feels like a handsome version of Quasi.

Maximus vs. Sven - Sven. Reindeer's are better than people... and Horses...

Pascal vs. Olaf - I really like Pascal, he's just really cute and adorable, same with Olaf, but Olaf was sorta creepy at times.

Gothel vs. Hans - Hans feels more real and less guy with evil mustache that ties the girl to the train-tracks bwa, bwa type badguy. Hans is unique and anybody who has been used or manipulated can relate to his tricks

Love Mother Knows Best reprise though.

Tangled King & Queen vs. Frozen King & Queen - Even though the Frozen King looked like a animated Walt, the Tangled parents felt unique and deep, they didn't say a single word, but you could tell what they were feeling by their emotions painted on their faces, one of the best things about Tangled.

No Elsa vs. Elsa - Elsa is amazing and deserves the praise that she's getting, she's a amazing character.

Thugs vs. Trolls - Trolls. Thugs, who doesn't like a scary looking guys that are soft at heart ? And that Troll song, ugh.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

DancingCrab wrote:
atlanticaunderthesea wrote:Now that is a very interesting point. But I don't think she will be as much part of the Disney canon for that very reason. Types different from the mould in the women of Disney are often left on the sidelines; Meg etc.
Nah, she's a magical princess/queen with THE IT song of a huge blockbuster hit movie. She'll be fine.

I think Meg suffers because she's associated with a movie that Disney just doesn't care about anymore.
I don't know, genuinely, if there will a complete split between the two for longevity. I wish there was though, as Elsa is a truly different character and breaks away from the usual mould of a Princess.

Watching their live action counterparts on youtube from the parks, the friend of Elsa's have always seems quite … lacking ? I don't know if that is how she has been designed for the parks (must be) but it is quite jarring when you Anna who appears to be a mix of Rapunzel and Tinkerbell. Elsa is very still and quiet (as she is in the film) but doesn't inspire a meet and greet situation, you know ?

I just think it will be interesting to see how Disney handles what to do with the two of them in the coming years.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Lady Cluck wrote:Anna has more complexity, better comedy, better songs, and she's a little more awkward and spunky than Rapunzel to me. I like Rapunzel but sometimes I find it hard to explain why. She's just cheery and sort of goofy. I find her supposed quirkiness a little artificial to be honest. I also like Kristen Bell more than Mandy Moore.
I agree. Kristen Bell is so much better than Mandy Moore. Mandy Moore acts very well, but there will always be a part of me that finds her name being beside Ilene Woods/Jodi Benson/Judy Kuhn so embarassing. I still see Anna and Rapunzel as different, although only vaguely. (Also, btw, hate people dismissing Anna as a repeat of Rapunzel anyway, considering Ariel was here 20 years before Rapunzel and still popular.)

As far as comparing the others, I find Frozen is better in every respect except I like the evil twins better than the trolls by far. The King/Queens of each are tied for me.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Really ? I think Mandy has a unique voice, compared to the quite bland Kristen Bells. I only hope Kristen and Idina remain loyal to their characters and come back for voice work, like Mandy always does.

Comparing the other elements (Poss spoilers):

Flynn / Kristoff - Flynn. He's a brilliant character, and I love Rapunzel and Eugine together.

Maximus / Sven - Maximus. He's the best Disney horse ever I think; perfect blend of Sampson and Pegasus.

Pascal / Olaf - Hmm pretty much even split between the two. Olaf has some really heartwarming moments though, bonding the two sisters together…so I think he has the edge.

Gothel / Hans - Gothel. I don't think you can really do this one, as it isn't an even split of 'evil screen time' - Hans had a few minutes of screen time compared to Gothel being in the whole film.

King & Queen - Echoing the sentiment above, Tangled has this edge for me. You feel the pain and the emotion from the two of them when not a single word is said. Before they release the lanterns and the Queen is comforting her husband is just heart wrenching. Whereas Frozen's rulers locked their daughter away her entire life and had the indecency to pop their clogs :wink: I think the story could have been more interesting if the parents still remained in the film rather than the classic Disney death of parents / broken family.

Thugs / Trolls - Thugs. I loathe the trolls.

Elsa is an amazing character, and totally unique to the Disney canon. I only wish she would have had more screen time!
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Well time for more comparisons!

Flynn / Kristoff - Kristoff. At least he doesn't seem like a sleazebag. Also no Dreamworks-y humor, so that's a plus.

Maximus / Sven - Sven. I'm tired of horses tbh, but I'm also tired of "animals behaving like dogs". At least Sven is sweet and isn't pulling a Javert out of nothing.

Pascal / Olaf - Olaf. He's the embodiment of the love of the two sisters, and helps our protagonists more than once. He's not there just for cute giggles from the audience.

Gothel / Hans - Gothel. Better villain overall, even If I find her annoying at times. At least she's not a weak or bland villain ala Hans.

King & Queen - Neither. Both are bland.

Thugs / Trolls - Hate them both.

Elsa is the best of them all.

Though I like that the Frozen dad looks like Walt! I think Disney himself would have liked Elsa and would've adored the Let It Go sequence.