Studio Ghibli Blu-Ray

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Coolmanio
Gold Classic Collection

Studio Ghibli Blu-Ray

Post by Coolmanio »

So, as many fans know, the Nausicaa Blu-Ray has been released, and it has been announced that Castle in the Sky and My Neighbors the Yamadas will be released in December 22. Cover art (Castle on top, Yamadas on bottom):

Probability of these coming to North America?
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

Damn when are they gonna get Spirated Away or Howl's Moving Castle on Bluray ?!
Haddad28
Limited Issue

Post by Haddad28 »

Nausica of the Valley of the Wind has been annouced in Australia for a November blu-ray release...

I'd suppose the US and other countries would be getting it relatively soon...
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Jack Skellington wrote:Damn when are they gonna get Spirated Away or Howl's Moving Castle on Bluray ?!
It looks like they're doing the Miyazaki's in order but I don't think they're going to take that long to release them, I'd say those two before 2012 anyway. Anyway I'm excited for the Laputa release, it's my favourite Ghibli film and hopefully it's not too long for Grave of the Fireflies. I've got my pre-order in for Nausicaa too! Just 26 days to go!
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

Finally, Ponyo will be released in Germany and it's nice to see, that they imitate the look of the japanese Ghibli blu-rays. Moreover the rating logo is only a sticker :)

Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

I wish the blu ray in the US were so nice looking. Not that what we do have is horrible, but these are visually striking and wonderfully different than most covers - especially those distributed by Disney.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

I've just recently become interested in the Studio Ghibli films, after borrowing Ponyo from my local library. This was the first time I'd seen a Japanese animated film, and it was outstanding! I will probably be getting my own copy on Blu-ray soon. :)

Besides the upcoming Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, are there any current plans to release more of these films on Blu-ray in the US?
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
Mr. Yagoobian
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mr. Yagoobian »

MJW wrote:I've just recently become interested in the Studio Ghibli films, after borrowing Ponyo from my local library. This was the first time I'd seen a Japanese animated film, and it was outstanding! I will probably be getting my own copy on Blu-ray soon. :)

Besides the upcoming Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, are there any current plans to release more of these films on Blu-ray in the US?
Unless there's an expiration date for Disney's distribution deal with Ghibli, or Disney fails to see enough of a return, I see no reason that we won't eventually get the Ghibli catalog that Disney's already released.

But I'd advise against holding one's breath because most of the Ghibli catalog has yet to be released to BD in Japan, and Disney's not to to pre-empt the films' releases on their native country.
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

That's quite classy.

Then again, it is Japanese.

Even Pixar "uniformed" their releases, why does Disney still enforce floating heads and crammed covers?

(Of course the covers for Monsters Inc, Bugs Life, Ratatouille & Wall-E aren't very good at all)
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Still, We could at least get a Castle blu-ray. Then I can sell the DVD that I got after Christmas.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

I searched but didn't find a dedicated Ponyo thread, so I'll just post here instead...

Are all the bonus features that are present on the 2-disc DVD edition on the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack?

I think the bonus features on the DVD set are on disc 2, I was wondering if everything was present in the combo pack, presumably on the Blu-ray disc?
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

I'm pretty sure that Disney can only release Blu-rays of the Ghibli collection after they have been released (under Studio Ghibli's command) in Japan. Disney doesn't have the rights to distribute or remaster or anything with the Ghibli films unless Ghibli grants them permission to do so. Whenever they are out in Japan, we can expect a release in the US in the near future.

After Nasicaa in March, I'm sure we can expect Castle in the Sky and the Yamadas. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney re-releases a few of the titles on DVD like they did with Kiki, Totoro and Castle in the Sky last spring, though.
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

Nice avatar.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

MJW wrote:I searched but didn't find a dedicated Ponyo thread, so I'll just post here instead...

Are all the bonus features that are present on the 2-disc DVD edition on the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack?

I think the bonus features on the DVD set are on disc 2, I was wondering if everything was present in the combo pack, presumably on the Blu-ray disc?
1. I think the reason you didnt find another thread was because the original title is Ponyo On A Cliff By the Sea

2. yes. I've only seen one combo pack in which the blu-ray had less than the DVD.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Scamander wrote:Finally, Ponyo will be released in Germany and it's nice to see, that they imitate the look of the japanese Ghibli blu-rays. Moreover the rating logo is only a sticker :)
I'm jealous, Disney won't give us those cool looking graphic covers. They also won't give us 95% of the supplements from the Japanese releases either (they have a 3-disc Blu-Ray set for Ponyo while we only have a 1-disc set). We basically get barebones releases with them advertising the English vocal cast.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Where can I actually find the japanese extras on the internet?
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

IDK but that is about 14 hours of supplemental material, much of which doesn't have English subs.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Did Disney offer a coupon when Ponyo was first released in the US? I thought I read somewhere that there was a coupon. Unfortunately, I've stumbled upon the Studio Ghibli titles a little late in the game, so I missed out on a coupon for Ponyo (if there was one), but I'm wondering if we'll get a coupon for Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind?

For anyone that bought Ponyo on Blu-ray with a coupon, what did you pay for it total? The Blu-ray/DVD is currently going for $25.99 on Amazon and I could probably get it for less than $20 on eBay, but nothing beats those first week prices. :(
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

Here is the cover of the German Nausicaä digipack.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

I'd get the Japanese Ghibli blu-rays but they're so darn expensive!