Tangled (aka Rapunzel) Discussion - Part III

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Tangled (aka Rapunzel) Discussion - Part III

Post by Sotiris »

Continuing the discussion from Part II: http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26332
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

let me start off the new thread by the last thing of interest from the previous thread:

Here are two pictures rom the walt disney animation twitter. Pictures of the Suggly Duckling Geek Bar at this year's Siggraph that starts sunday and has countless of Tangled seminars and discussion panels:

Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

I don't post very often in the 'Rapunzel' threads, simply because I feel I don't have much to add at this point. I'm not going to add anything by being the sixth person who shouts out "oh my god!" after each new leaked picture. But I just wanted to let robster and others know I appreciate all the information they provide, and I'm very excited to see this film.
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Here's a full report by David Gilson of the press screening event in Paris a few days ago. Be sure to visit his blog for some more exclusive pictures and several reasons too, which are also explained in the translation below. First the link below and then the full report:

http://davidgilson.blogspot.com

A few days ago, I had the luck to be invited to an exclusive presentation of Disney's next animated feature "Raiponce" [Tangled] which was held in the middle of Paris by the movie's producer Roy Conli.

For many years I have been waiting to see this project get made and be succesfull. After yearsof coming across various tests that appeared online during the years this movie has been in devellopment at the house of mouse, combined with the persistent rumors online I have remained enthusiastic and impatient with the idea that one day I would see the adaptation of this story on the big screen about the young girl with the long hair locked away in her tower.

The prospect of discovering a new Disney heroine has always peaked my interest, fueling my personal obsession with them which people who know me well can only confirm! And when I found out that this was going to be a princess with extremely long hair who was dressed in purple that was the best possible combination ever for a Disney heroine for me!

This year, that dream finally becomes a reality. I am even more excited because the movie is going to be wonderfull on so many different levels. Thanks to a personal friendship with Byron Howard, who directed the movie together with Nathan Greno (who both directed and were head of storyboard on Disney's Bolt), I've had the privilege to follow the evolution and production of this movie behind the scenes. Also because from the beginning of this year I have been involved in the creation of illustrations for some of the side-products and merchandise of the movie which I will tell you more about in the future (hopefully sooner then later) !

So a big thank you goes out to Byron Howard for his infinite kindness and his confidence. His talent has turned him into an artist and an estanblished director on whom you can count on and follow in the future!

My personal involvement and my profession are thus already big reasons for my passion for Tangled, Not to mention all the stuff I had the luck to see at my visit to the Glendale' studios this last september where I had the pleasure to see Glen Keane again who is the animation supervisor of the film. Always humbled and inspired by him since the time I was fortunate to work in the animation department for Tarzan in the Montreuil studio. Memories, memories...

But back to Conli's presentation. I have to admit that we were spoiled, especially since I had very low expectations on what they would show us. But they showed us a lot! A combination of design research, animation tests, concept artwork, promotional images and shots of the movie we were treated to a full presentation of the film and it's devellopment, the main story outline and as a highlight several sequences of the movie in "work-in-progress" (with parts being in storyboard and other parts that were either rough animation or fully rendered shots)

So we really got a good idea of what the movie will be like... and that is absoutely superb! The rendered images we saw made me fall in love with the environments and in particular with the hair and the fabrics.

As for the animation itself, it is with great surprise that you can find fundamental principles of traditional animation, directly transposed into cgi! The style and influence of Glen Keane on the crew and the directors is evident and creates a funny feeling of familiarity but also adds a completely new dimension to cgi animation. Without a single doubt, Tangled is movie in the style of the true and classic Disney animated movies and not in any way related to a certain Dreamworks feel that some feared after seeing the american trailer which was influenced by marketing decisions to not make the same "mistakes" that they made with "Princess and the Frog" in american territories, something the french weren't bothered with as they always flock to theatres to see the latest animated Disney film!

Never have human characters been handled this well in cgi animation, except for maybe in Pixar's Ratatouille. But with this movie we get character designs that are typically Disney and who really touch the heart and remind us of classic characters like for instance Ariel and Aladdin. The attitudes, the movements and expressions of the 2 main heroes of the movie, the bandit Flynn and the longhaired prisoner Rapunzel, are superbly handled and worthy of the name Disney, not even mentioning that the two of them together as a duoare absolutely magical and enchanting!

We also got to see much more of the other two stars, Maximus the horse of the royal guard and Pascal the small protective chameleon each of whom have fantastic moments in the movie and will undoubtedly become the favourite characters of many viewers. For those of you who wonder, we also saw some rare footage of Mother Gothel, the villain of the movie and she is absolutely incredible! Brown, curly hair and large eyes filled with fire and passion, she owes her design to Byron Howard, which was later refinded and develloped by Jin Kim, the talented character designer of the majority of the characters of the film. Gothel is at times very funny and a complete diva and at other times threatening and hysterical. This female manipulator resembles the physique of Diana Ross and Minnie Driver a remarkable combination and is voiced by the actress and singer Donna Murphy!

Several scenes of the film were shown to us, among them the Prologue. Which is sure to enchant any Disney fan, the first temperamental meeting of the two leads of the movie and many more, but I prefer to not tell too much about the movie and spoil all the fun and surprise.

The comedy and humor is very contemporary but without any sort of vulgarity and always caused because of the context of the scene and it really creates some good laughs.

The way the characters are handled and the situations feel very modern without being anachornistic and it really feels like Disney has found a great way to reinvent itself and turn over a new leaf. The freshness of the use of cgi in combination with a great story creates a wonderfull fairytale adventure.

We also got to see the signature sequence of the movie. Which is a romantic song played on guitar and sung by Rapunzel (Mandy Moore) and Flynn ( Zachary Levi) in the original version. The music is composed by Alan Menken (famous for his work on The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas and many others) and lyrics are provided by Glenn Slater. This scene alone will be able to blow you away with a sense of magic that can only be seen in the most beautiful Disney movies ever made. I have to admit that I have known about this scene and it's specific context within the story but was still swept away by the moment and got pretty emotional because the result was even better then I could ever have imagined. The Disney magic can be felt throughout and no Disney fan will be able to resist this fairy-tale like spectacle which will probably be enhanced by the 3D effects.

So don't be fooled by the Disney marketing and let yourself be swept away next December by the energetic, long-haired blonde waiting for her dreams to come true and her dark and sexy bandit. For other reports and detailed stories about the presentation of these first scenes you can visit the websites of my friends at disneypixar.fr and chroniquesdisney.fr or go to the official websites of disneyanimation.com or tangled.com for more info. Maybe we'll be getting some additional info at this years Comic-Con (Below are two images of the exclusive limited edition lithography they are handing out there) or at Siggraph, and american convention on computer graphics that will take place in a few days.

And then there also is the cover of the new autumn issue of Twenty-Three magazine which contains a new article and dynamic cover shot, reminding me of Tarzan.

The best is yet to come, but with promotion really kicking in there should be many thing to look forward to and leave you wanting more...

So next week I advise you to keep your eyes peeled and check my website. as I will be please to share an exclusive new image with you all 24 hours before it will be online on Facebook! So don't miss it!

"Tangled" will be Disney's 50th animated classic and could be the perfect transition from the nostalgia of the tales of the handdrawn princess and the ones to come, swarming with contemporary and innovatig ideas.

So don't miss out on all the fun and be sure to go and see all of Rapunzel's animated adventures in 3D!
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

y'know, whenever I see images of the main hero, Flynn I keep thinking of Young Shunsui or Stark from Bleach. They look so similar

for comparison here's images of the two and then compare them to Flynn

Shunsui when younger:

Stark:

Flynn
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
fatcake
Limited Issue

Post by fatcake »

:shock: he does look like flyn!
fatcake
Limited Issue

Post by fatcake »

Hey this is a new interview with the directers curtisy of imdb:

http://www.flickdirect.com/news/2864/di ... ticle.ashx

And I find this sort of interesting you guys should check this out:

http://www.collider.com/2010/07/23/comi ... len-keane/
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Robster, thanks so much for that translation. I'm seriously getting giddy. I want to see this movie. Right now.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Re: Tangled (aka Rapunzel) Discussion - Part III

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Just found this New Rapunzel on Argos.co.uk
Very Beautiful in Rapunzel's signature colours
:D :D :D :D :D

:tlm:
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

fatcake wrote:Hey this is a new interview with the directers curtisy of imdb:

http://www.flickdirect.com/news/2864/di ... ticle.ashx

And I find this sort of interesting you guys should check this out:

http://www.collider.com/2010/07/23/comi ... len-keane/
Cool interview! Very nice :)
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:Just found this New Rapunzel on Argos.co.uk
Very Beautiful in Rapunzel's signature colours
:D :D :D :D :D

:tlm:
I love it when it says, "Rapunzel," besides, "Tangled." Forgive me for being picky over the name Disney fans, but I am still getting used to it.
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

Another message from the Mexican site that talks about Disney's, "Rapunzel (Tangled)." Read for yourself.

SUNDAY JULY 25, 2010

Last week Rapunzel animation
It is only a fraction of the animation team Rapunzel, he hopes to finish the last sequences later than next Saturday, to go from full to brief, intense post-production. He has been an arduous task to bring the classic tale and musical format CGI, in addition to 3D. Soon appear the new trailer, with scenes of the movie and new characters, plus music from the film, which opens on November 26, with seven spectacular songs Alan Menken.

http://disneynoticiasmexico.blogspot.co ... l/Rapunzel

P.S. I understand that one of you does not trust this message, but this message talks about Alan Menken's compositions.
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangled

Attention Disney fans who are expecting new materials from Disney's, "Rapunzel (Tangled)." I understand that Wikipedia does not cover some true sources, but this one got my attention that I want to share.

The new trailer will be released on August 3, 2010.

You will find this message under, "Marketing."

It has been confirmed through the first rough draft of the trailer that Rapunzel sings a song in a tavern with vikings.

You will find this message under, "Music."
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

[quote="DisneyDude2010"
Image[/quote]

<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

^^^^^
With those colors, the theme for that bike could easily have been 'Festival of Fools' with pics of Esmerelda and Djahli.
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

i love how humorous the sketch pictures are. do we know what the horses name is yet? that pic of rapunzel between the two is hilarious. as is that more anime style with the frying pan. lmfao. sorry i know its not adding much, but ive got no one else to share my delight at those pictures with.
big kid at heart
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

sunhuntin wrote:i love how humorous the sketch pictures are. do we know what the horses name is yet?
The horse's name is Maximus.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Searching Amazon.com and Found Rapunzel and MAXIMUS Doll Set

p.s
can some one tell me how do you add a picture signature ??

:D :) 8)
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ 1. I think that it's just Maximus- I think that Rapunzel is just a cardboard picture.

^ 2. You need host the picture on a picture-hosting site (such as Photobucket or ImageShack), and then paste the IMG URL (the URL plus "[img]"%20in%20front%20of%20it%20and%20"[/img]" after it). Just FYI, to get the dimensions needed (maximum 500 pixels wide by 100 pixels tall), drpic.com is a great website, where you can resize, among other things (like lightening or darkening, and doing effects, etc.). If you need more info, I'd be happy to help!
Last edited by blackcauldron85 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I still find un-intentionally hilarious that while Disney is trying to hide the fact that the main character is a princess to hide its potential "girlyness" from audiences and yet the folks making the toys are making some really girly products filled with pink. I mean, come on, I never even got that vibe from The Princess and the Frog merchandise.