Tangled (aka Rapunzel) Discussion - Part III

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
spitweet

Post by spitweet »

i'm not sure about Gothel... I hope they make it clear from the beggining that she is the bad guy... she looks like a friend to Rapunzel from the clips we've seen.

Also, on wikipedia, it says a new trailer will be out August 3rd, is it true ?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:
OMG that video is amazing Mother Gothel :D Rapunzel Toddler :D and a quick look at the King and Queen :DD
where? what time it starts at?
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

spitweet wrote:i'm not sure about Gothel... I hope they make it clear from the beggining that she is the bad guy... she looks like a friend to Rapunzel from the clips we've seen.

Also, on wikipedia, it says a new trailer will be out August 3rd, is it true ?
Well, if you look at the rough animation scenes and the details before each shot, then you can see that the shot of Mother Gothel look all evil is credited as being part of the first sequence of the movie (prologue) and it's the 16th shot of the movie. Here's a chronological screencap of the shots in the rough animation clip for the first sequence:

So chronologically, stuff happens, then Gothel looks angry, then later the king and queen (Rapunzel's parents) make a lantern rise in the sky, later we see Rapunzel as a toddler opening her tower window and she watches the lanterns in the sky.

A short listing of the different sequences in the movie and the clues you can get from them. Might contain story spoilers, if I managed to decode things correctly of course :)

sequence 01: Story set-up
sequence 02.0: Grown up Rapunzel in her tower with Pascal
sequence 02.5: Flynn at the castle, stealing the royal crown
sequence 03: Mother Gothel and Rapunzel in the tower
sequence 05: Flynn enters tower, Rapunzel hits him with pan
sequence 06: Rapunzel and Flynn meet in the tower
sequence 09: Tavern sequence
sequence 10: Guards enter tavern
sequence 16: Rapunzel and Flynn in the boat with the lanterns
sequence 20.5: Flynn locked inside dungeon (grabbing barred window) - shot 002.00, Flynn and Thugs running through dungeon followed by guards - shot 122.00, Gothel and Rapunzel appear to be back inside the tower(?) - shot 065.00, Flynn riding Maximus on the rooftops - shot 151.40, later riding out of the castle over the bridge - shot 164.50

Quite a lot of clue's you can get from that if you put 2 and 2 together :) I love playing Nancy Drew hahaha :)
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Neal wrote:In a lot of the concept art, it is my opinion that Rapunzel bears a striking resemblance to Scarlett Johansson.
I know, right? She resembles more Johansson than Mandy Moore (ironically, both were born in the same year as me, 1984).
stewie15
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stewie15 »

i'm not sure about Gothel... I hope they make it clear from the beggining that she is the bad guy... she looks like a friend to Rapunzel from the clips we've seen.
I actually really like Gothel. I'm getting a Cruella vibe from her. Like Cruella was nice when she had to be but was still crazy evil. That reel made me about 10x more excited for the movie!! :)
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

Gothel looks evil to me. She must be really desperate to keep Rapunzel in the tower in order to become young forever.
spitweet

Post by spitweet »

I just hope she isn't as passive as Lady Tremaine... I couldn't care less for her. I really do hope she is dominant of Rapunzel (like Frollo and Quasimodo) and she is a psycho !

I reeeeallly hope Rapunzel gets back in the tower at some point.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Interview with the directors shedding an alternate light on why the title was changed. (well, it's probably not true)

http://www.collider.com/2010/07/28/comi ... lt-disney/
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

Final question. Obviously, Beauty and the Beast has the classic name, and the same with Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. Everybody has kept the original name. There was kind of the opinion that you took the name Tangled to appeal to boys by slicing down the middle instead of just going after the female audience. What do you think of this?

Greno: Honestly, you know what we did? We sat back and… this is true… we sat back and looked at the film, and as much as, and I said this before, this movie does not work if Rapunzel’s not in the movie and it also does not work if Flynn Rider’s not in the movie. This is the story of the two of them, and you can’t make the film without one or the other. So, because of that, we wanted a title that reflected the movie that we were making. Rapunzel, it’s like calling Toy Story… Buzz Lightyear. Why would you do that? That’s the story of Buzz and Woody, so they call it Toy Story. This is the same thing. This isn’t the story of one character; it’s the story of two characters. So we needed a title that reflected that.

This message is based on the interview with Byron Howard and Nathan Greno. I understand that we all got over about this title change deal, but I just could not put my finger on it. Do you think that they their explanation is understandable? Or how about this, is there any movie - under a person's name besides a place, thing, or verb name - that can tell a story about two or more people in movies like, "There's Something About Mary?" Sorry for asking this question about the name change, I was just curious. Feel free to not answer this question, this is optional. Thank you.
mawnck
Limited Issue

Post by mawnck »

spitweet wrote:i'm not sure about Gothel... I hope they make it clear from the beggining that she is the bad guy... she looks like a friend to Rapunzel from the clips we've seen.
Gothel's villainousness is called out in the prologue. And there ain't nobody gonna consider her a friend to Rapunzel!

Good work, Nancy. Don't worry, spitweet. 8)

I would say the title change stuff in the interview was a load of marketing Maximus-pucky, except that I postulated more-or-less the same thing in my review.

Hey ... I want royalties!! :wink:

(Personally, I think all movies should be named after the main characters, like "Marlin and Dory" and "Meet Lewis and the Robinson Kid" and "Eddie Valiant and the Rabbit" and "The Emperor and Pacha's New Groove" and "Aladdin, Jasmine and the Genie" and "Pocahontas and Captain Smith" ...)
Last edited by mawnck on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

I'm going to be controversial and say that since he's not the original director he obviously is a yes-man and will agree to whatever reason the title was changed and bullshits some reason here.

If it were actually the reason I'm sure they could come up with something more interesting and unique than Tangled.
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

But that's kind of the whole point. I mean, it seems to me that she actually thinks she's Rapunzel's mother. Well, not biologically, obviously, since she kidnapped her and all, but you know.... She has herself convinced that everything she does it out of love for Rapunzel, because she's a psycho bitch whose psychological defense mechanisms won't let realize that it's all about the magical hair, and not the girl whose scalp it's growing out of. That's Gothel. She's supposed to seem pretty great (but kinda twisted) at the beginning, from what we've heard so far.
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Tangled

Post by Disney Duster »

mawnck wrote:(Personally, I think all movies should be named after the main characters, like "Marlin and Dory"...
This perfectly foils there bull excuse for renaming the thing.

They said they wanted to make the definitive version of Rapunzel, like all the previous Disney fairy tales. The definitive version of Rapunzel, they said. So how is it definitive calling it Tangled, then? Why aren't they keeping the original name like all the past Disney fairy tales, then?

Yea, they've been caught and proven wrong.
mawnck
Limited Issue

Post by mawnck »

Polizzi wrote:According the the Mexican site that talks about Disney's, "Rapunzel (Tangled)," that I have read - which I understand that some of you do not trust - it says that the movie will be done within 3 days.
Wrong again. TAG Blog reported yesterday ...
TAG Blog wrote:Inside the Hat Building, the animators on Tangled are on their last couple weeks of work.
Lots of enthusiasm for the movie and grousing about all the imminent layoffs due to the empty Disney pipeline at the
link.
mawnck
Limited Issue

Re: Tangled

Post by mawnck »

Disney Duster wrote:Why aren't they keeping the original name like all the past Disney fairy tales, then?
More to the point, why does this revelation about having two main characters only apply to English-speaking countries? :? :roll: :lol:
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Re: Tangled

Post by singerguy04 »

mawnck wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:Why aren't they keeping the original name like all the past Disney fairy tales, then?
More to the point, why does this revelation about having two main characters only apply to English-speaking countries? :? :roll: :lol:
that was my thought too, lol.

I remember posting a long time ago when they changed the title that it might be because they are creating 2 solid main characters. Maybe their new excuse is because Tangled doesn't translate well for other countries....?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

BK wrote:I'm going to be controversial and say that since he's not the original director he obviously is a yes-man and will agree to whatever reason the title was changed and bullshits some reason here.
This. You can obviously tell that through that interview even.

I also found their reason to be bullshit. In sleeping beauty, the main characters who drove the story was not Aurora but the 3 fugly hags(which the name should of been). The other examples Mawack stated also applies. Also you're adapting a fairytale. At least use the title of the name. Toy Story was an original story Pixar made. Rapunzel isn't.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

Super Aurora wrote:
BK wrote:I'm going to be controversial and say that since he's not the original director he obviously is a yes-man and will agree to whatever reason the title was changed and bullshits some reason here.
This. You can obviously tell that through that interview even.

I also found their reason to be bullshit. In sleeping beauty, the main characters who drove the story was not Aurora but the 3 fugly hags(which the name should of been). The other examples Mawack stated also applies. Also you're adapting a fairytale. At least use the title of the name. Toy Story was an original story Pixar made. Rapunzel isn't.
Agreed. It is written by the Grimm Brothers themselves, before Disney adapts it.
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TJgzWFJDww0&co ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TJgzWFJDww0&co ... lpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »