Tangled (aka Rapunzel) Discussion - Part III

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Dream Huntress
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Dream Huntress »

merlinjones wrote:>>Unfortunately, there are a lot more people in this world other than Disney fans that do enjoy Dreamworks movies and they make quite a lot of money out of it.<<

>>What you have to understand is, you/we are not the consumer they are trying to target...<<

Clearly. And that message is coming across loud and clear. From the ad materials, it looks and sounds like a Dreamworks movie ...though we're supposed to read between the lines with the online PR sites that say it isn't like that at all, it's a Disney classic. Make up your minds, marketers!

There are a lot of folks who like traditional Walt Disney movies that are not Dreamworks fans (or even Disney fans necessarily). Why alienate a sure thing if they have the goods to deliver -- while reaching out to another demo that is notoriously fickle (little boys)?

Clearly, it's their risk to take, but the campaign (and title) does send an uneasy rebranding message.
I get your point, and considering this is their 50th film they should probably make a bigger deal about and use another type of marketing, except that it wouldn't work. Let's face it, they need to reach the usual movigoer, not the die hard fans, because they don't need to convince the die hard fans they're still capable of making good quality movies, we already now that, we've been waiting 10 years for something like this to happen, but the usual moviegoer only wants a good movie, regardless of any sort of history the company has.

Let's take two examples, "Kung Fu Panda" and "The Princess and the Frog". When "Kung Fu Panda" was about to come out everybody thought it was the typical silly Dreamworks movie with fart jokes, pop culture references and a great use of cellebrities to hide the lack of a real plot, then it turned out to be an entertaining heartfelt story beautifully animated, it was a great movie, and that's what people talked about after it came out, not the silly marketing campaign. Whereas PATF, well, the campaig Disney had for it was basically "Look! We made a 2D film again! Remember we were really good doing these movies 20 years ago? We're doing it again! So please, please watch our movie!", and my argument is not the quality of the movie itself, because PATF is a good film, but the fact that it have a very badly conceived marketing campaign... that and "Avatar" coming out one week later, seriously did they not see that one coming? So yeah, the usual movie goer doesn't care about Disney legacy, they care about having a good time watching a fun movie, I know it sounds harsh, but that's how the business is, and that's how they have to play it if they want people in the theaters on the release date.

And what's really so terrible about the marketing of "Tangled"? In all it makes it look like a really fun movie, and if it's as good as everybody is saying it is -which I really hope it is- then word of mouth will be the one that will end helping the movie.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Tangled

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, people have said they DON'T want to see the movie because of the trailers, and title. No one knows what it is from the title, or the trailers. It's like...what is that about? How will I know if I want to see that?

I agree with you merlinjones and Wondy (except on your alternate titles, because actually if I have to have anything, it would be Rapunzel and the Bandit or Tangled, but I need Rapunzel).

Does anyone else here also feel this...

That if it's not named Rapunzel...it feels like Disney didn't really do Rapunzel? Like without the name, it feels like something else? But it really is Disney's version of Rapunzel, it's not an update, it's their version of the Rapunzel and the story. So, doesn't it feel, without the name, that's it's not like that, it's like the never did it?
Dream Huntress
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Tangled

Post by Dream Huntress »

Disney Duster wrote:Well, people have said they DON'T want to see the movie because of the trailers, and title. No one knows what it is from the title, or the trailers. It's like...what is that about? How will I know if I want to see that?

I agree with you merlinjones and Wondy (except on your alternate titles, because actually if I have to have anything, it would be Rapunzel and the Bandit or Tangled, but I need Rapunzel).

That if it's not named Rapunzel...it feels like Disney didn't really do Rapunzel? Like without the name, it feels like something else? But it really is Disney's version of Rapunzel, it's not an update, it's their version of the Rapunzel and the story. So, doesn't it feel, without the name, that's it's not like that, it's like the never did it?
So, because it's not titled "Rapunzel" they didn't really make a retelling of "Rapunzel"?

And while teaser trailer was very ambigous -what teaser trailer isn't- and the title could be misguiding, the theatrical trailer does explain the story. I still haven't seen any tv spots, though.
phan258
Gold Classic Collection

Post by phan258 »

Dream Huntress wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:Well, people have said they DON'T want to see the movie because of the trailers, and title. No one knows what it is from the title, or the trailers. It's like...what is that about? How will I know if I want to see that?

So, because it's not titled "Rapunzel" they didn't really make a retelling of "Rapunzel"?

And while teaser trailer was very ambigous -what teaser trailer isn't- and the title could be misguiding, the theatrical trailer does explain the story. I still haven't seen any tv spots, though.

I'm with you, Dreamhuntress. It's so sad to see how many people are willing to judge this movie based on ads alone, which I personally don't have a problem with--I thought the Pink trailer was fun and energetic and am honestly sorry that the 'hair fight' scene won't be in the actual film. I too admit I was not thrilled with the title change at first, but only in a reactionary, "what?? no way!" sense; at this point it means nothing. A rose by any other name....

Oh, I'm new, btw. Hi y'all XD
Dream Huntress
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Dream Huntress »

phan258 wrote:I'm with you, Dreamhuntress. It's so sad to see how many people are willing to judge this movie based on ads alone, which I personally don't have a problem with--I thought the Pink trailer was fun and energetic and am honestly sorry that the 'hair fight' scene won't be in the actual film. I too admit I was not thrilled with the title change at first, but only in a reactionary, "what?? no way!" sense; at this point it means nothing. A rose by any other name....

Oh, I'm new, btw. Hi y'all XD
I'm not a big fan of title either, but yeah, that's probably not something we should go nuts about it, changes have to be made to movies if it is for the better, and in this case it seems it was.

Welcome to the boards :)
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Has this review been posted?

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... crown.aspx

Jim Hill went as far as to declare it this generation's Little Mermaid, and told the directors that they finally got storytelling right.

OK, color me interested.... VERY interested. :shock:
ImageImageImageImage

SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

pap64 wrote:Has this review been posted?

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... crown.aspx
Yes, blackcauldron85 was the first to post on page 61.

*Le GASP!* So...does this mean that disregarded CGI craft has saved the future, no, the LEGACY of Disney animation, which the all hallowed 2D hand-drawn art form couldn't achieve? 8)
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

My apologies then. I was just surprised at how positive Jim Hill was about it, and reading about the emotional scenes got me interested.
ImageImageImageImage

Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Directors Byron Howard and Nathan Greno New Interview
http://www.collider.com/2010/09/30/byro ... w-tangled/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Babaloo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Babaloo »

Finally...that was quite the break from UD :P. Nah I'm kidding I missed this place (although I still read everything). Anyways I'm not sure if any of this has been posted:

An Interview with Donna Murphy:
http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BW ... D_20010101

Disney previews holiday titles: ‘Secretariat,’ ‘Tangled,’ ‘TRON’
Posted by Kristopher Tapley
http://incontention.com/2010/09/30/disn ... gled-tron/

The real treat of the evening, however, was a full screening of the animated “Tangled,” which isn’t complete. A similar screening was held on the lot a few weeks ago. While there were storyboards and pre-res elements scattered here and there, the studio and directors Nathan Greno and Byron Howard were smart enough to put together an audio/visual explanation of these various elements prior to the screening. It made the experience all the more illuminating, actually, kind of a making-of as you watch.

And while it is an incomplete film, I have no problem offering up my thoughts on it: It’s a real winner. The film has a lovely sense of humor and is animated toward those ends in very unique ways. It has a classic sheen that makes it fit in nicely with the rest of the studio’s fairytale efforts but nevertheless feels progressive. I kind of wish traditional animation had been employed, but the CGI is gorgeous.

The vocal talent, from Mandy Moore to Zachary Levi to Ron Perlman (who was in attendance) is stellar across the board, while theater queen Donna Murphy is exceptional in the Mother Gothel villain role (most notably in the musical numbers, which she nails).

Speaking of which, it probably goes without saying we can reserve one, maybe even two Best Original Song spots for Alan Menken and lyricist Glenn Slater. I counted seven songs (though one was a reprise of another with additional lyrics) and I’m told there is one more set to go over the closing credits. If I had to guess, I’d say “I See the Light” is the one to watch for, but “Mother Knows Best” is Murphy’s moment and it would be delightful to see her belt it out on the Oscarcast…as long as this year’s producers aren’t as disrespectful of the nominees as Adam Shankman and Bill Mechanic were last year.
And I don't want to bring back the never-ending debate about the title of this movie, but I've got say, I'm so surprised you guys are still arguing this. I don't know how many people I have talked to and without me even bringing it up say that want to watch this movie. I really think Disney is doing a good job at advertising this movie (although WE ALL KNOW ITS NOT A REAL REPRESENTATIVE). I volunteer at a high school and the students and I always get into conversations about upcoming movies, and you would be surprised at how many people actually really want to see this movie...and dare I say it...a lot of them are guys! :P
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Hey guys, check out the main page on Disney.com. There's a new featurette about Flynn. It has a few, new clips, but they are brief.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

God, with all this talk of people not wanting to see Tangled, in addition to the lack of bonuses on the Fantasia release, the neverending almost one-sided color debate for BatB, and the other DVD releases...........

Somebody prescribe me something for Depression. This board is really just that. :(
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Hey guys, check out the main page on Disney.com. There's a new featurette about Flynn. It has a few, new clips, but they are brief.
Wow I love Rapunzel getting dragged by Flynn through the Snuggly Duckling (it looks like classic disney)
Can someone make screen shots
link http://disney.go.com/index?intoverride=true

Oh and just a reminder A new video will be posted on Facebook today about Rapunzels hair!
Hopefully some bloopers :) [/b]
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

OK. Why is it whenever I hear her say "Who's that?" repeatedly, I keep expecting Jack Skellington to pop up?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:
DisneyFan09 wrote:Hey guys, check out the main page on Disney.com. There's a new featurette about Flynn. It has a few, new clips, but they are brief.
Wow I love Rapunzel getting dragged by Flynn through the Snuggly Duckling (it looks like classic disney)
Can someone make screen shots
link http://disney.go.com/index?intoverride=true

Oh and just a reminder A new video will be posted on Facebook today about Rapunzels hair!
Hopefully some bloopers :) [/b]
Really?? Awesome! Thanks for the info.
Mr. Psycho

Post by Mr. Psycho »

Thank you for the hint, DisneyFan09. I ripped the Flynn Rider featurette from Disney.com as good as it was possible and uploaded it on YouTube for you. =]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J9jnWWcpHuE?hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J9jnWWcpHuE?hl=de&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

OMG! THEY FINALLY MENTIONED HER NAME!!!!!!! :D
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Mr. Psycho wrote:
Thank you for the hint, DisneyFan09. I ripped the Flynn Rider featurette from Disney.com as good as it was possible and uploaded it on YouTube for you. =]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J9jnWWcpHuE?hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J9jnWWcpHuE?hl=de&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Your welcome.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

ajmrowland wrote:OMG! THEY FINALLY MENTIONED HER NAME!!!!!!! :D
I think they mentioned her name in another featurette.
Dream Huntress
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Dream Huntress »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:OMG! THEY FINALLY MENTIONED HER NAME!!!!!!! :D
I think they mentioned her name in another featurette.
And the theatrical trailer.

By the way, could anyone tell me what's the name of that song at the end of the featurette?