Disney's Aladdin DVD Press Release (Real One)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Christian
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Christian »

I understand.
edm114

Post by edm114 »

It was while the Genie and rug were playing chess. I believe it is right before Aladdin goes up to the balcony.
Erika
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

edm114 wrote:It was while the Genie and rug were playing chess. I believe it is right before Aladdin goes up to the balcony.
That's right!
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Christian
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Christian »

Thanks. That helped me find it.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

DVDFreak wrote:I'm still wanting to know what coupons are inside the booklet that came with the Aladdin DVD...can anyone tell me, please? Thanks!
I mentioned the most prominent ones in my review:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/aladdin.html
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
capsule

Post by capsule »

Okay...so I went ahead and bought the deluxe set tonight...the book is mostly stills from the film...but it's nice to have nonetheless...now to redeem myself for posting a topic about Mulan 2 in the wrong category I wanted to help out the person looking for coupon info...in my regular edition of the Aladdin DVD I have:
the sweepstakes form
the buy 3 get a free dvd
$1 off Jolly Time Popcorn
$1 off Read Aloud Storybook
Mail in offer for Jasmine My First Princess Ballerina figure
$5 off Once Upon a Time Princess Talk and Sing Jasmine doll
$4 off Disney on Ice tix
The rest are ads for Bambi,Mulan, Mary Poppins, Charming Princess Jasmine doll, Phil of the Future, Disney Dream Desk, Princess electronics, Toon Disney, Radio Disney, and Cinderella...the back of the coupon booklet is a really awful Aladdin seqeuls "mini-storybook"- a thinly disguised ad for the DVDs with really awful art.

Christopher
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition
Location: Humacao, Puerto Rico; there's more to PR than San Juan!

Post by Evil Genie Jafar »

That's great! I love it when Disney puts so much effort not just in advertising the main character but also the movie as a whole :angry: .

First the highlight character was the Genie now is Jasmine.

Could we guys send Disney a letter telling them that the name of the movie is ALADDIN!!!??? It seems that they forgot.

Even if they don't want to advertise the main character, they can do it with the movie as a whole.

The funny thing is that if you get to hear the comentaries or the "making of" on the DVD you get to realize how much effort was put into the Aladdin character, so as the main character audiences could relate and feel for him. :evil:

PS

Even tough my favorite character is Jafar I don't expect for him to steal the show since this is not his movie.

"You're only second rate!"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Evil Genie Jafar wrote:That's great! I love it when Disney puts so much effort not just in advertising the main character but also the movie as a whole :angry: .

Could we guys send Disney a letter telling them that the name of the movie is ALADDIN!!!??? It seems that they forgot.
Could it be that the Genie and Jasmine are more appealing characters?? geez get over it :wink:
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition
Location: Humacao, Puerto Rico; there's more to PR than San Juan!

Post by Evil Genie Jafar »

PatrickvD wrote:
Evil Genie Jafar wrote:That's great! I love it when Disney puts so much effort not just in advertising the main character but also the movie as a whole :angry: .

Could it be that the Genie and Jasmine are more appealing characters?? geez get over it :wink:
That's because I study publicity and I know that if you advertise a product you either focus the product as a whole or the most important or significant aspect of it.

"You're only second rate!"
aravis

Post by aravis »

Jafar, I completely concur with you! I love Aladdin! I always found him more appealing then the other characters, still do. I could go to the DisneyStore online and buy a Jasmine costume, a Jafar costume and a Genie costume...ok what about my little boys that love Aladdin? It'd be easy enough to make, but still...The whole thing is a little strange.

Do you think they're doing it with the Lion King too? I feel more familiair with Timon and Pumba then the Lion...what is his name? Simba. That is sad!
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

4that1guypictures

Post by deathie mouse »

That1GuyPictures wrote:And I'm still not sure about that film still. It just looks fake to me. (I just got a Senitype from the film Amadeus and the aspect ratio was 2.35:1 and it wasn't animorphic even though I'm almost 100% positive it was filmed animorphic. Sometimes I wonder if these telecine transfers done by "MASTER FILM TECHS" are really anything more than a print out from a video/telecine machine. Haha.
Oh well any more information about the process of senityping would be great to know for me, and I'm sure for many others.
That1GuyPictures: Leonard Maltin lists Amadeus indeed shot in Panavision, so an authentic film frame cut from a print would have the image anamorphically squished with an aspect ratio of aproximately 1.18 since the frame would show the whole camera aperture dimensions (0.735" x 0.868"). The true projected image dimensions for Panavision in that era were 0.690" x 0.828", therefore, 1.20 x 2 = 2.40 aspect ratio.

Seems you were correct about the Aladdin one being a mass reproduction too, since everyone is getting the same frame. (Also because of the white line beneath the image).
Btw the image measures about 1.55 from what I can tell from the screencap Clayton (panhead4life) did for UD's review, which is very similar to the aspect ratio I got by combining the visible areas of the 4:3 rendered and 16:9 rendered versions of Beauty and the Beast.

Since a senitype, or a film frame, is like any other photographic image, and projection film prints are really exposed positive copies of original negatives (which are orange based), it could be done by exposing one frame of the negative into a 35mm filmstrip for mass reproduction instead of from shredding an actual print. (I think that may explain where the white border comes from, like the ones on photo prints)
One disadvantage of making it from a print is also that way's main advantage: everybody gets a different one, but many could get a scene that sucks! (like a character with his back to the camera or whatever. not all frames from a movie are suitable for hanging like a painting you know ;)

Also, the Amadeus one may have been optically unsquished before printing it into the senitype so people could see the beauty of the image, since so far nobody looks at them with anamorphic prescription lenses. (Except of course me! :lol: )

(One alternate way to do anamorphic film senitypes without the image distorted would be to use 70mm print frames instead of 35mm ones. I have a 70mm one from STAR WARS :P)

About your comment regarding "MASTER FILM TECHS": ;)

I still haven't got the gift set
so i havent actualy held the senitype in my hand yet

i'm thinking i'm thinking !

regular or gift gift or regular

probably gift

:lol:
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

And now for something totally late

Post by deathie mouse »

I know it's a little late for explanations but I found this doing my daily rounds:
On Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:43 pm Luke wrote:
::Paging deathie mouse::

And later at 9:00 pm Disneykid wrote:

While we wait for Deathie to come in with his 700 page essay that would most likely go over your head, here's a nice page that explains edge enhancement clearly
:lol:

Sorry guys, I was in the eye of the Mottara Nebula which prevented digital transmissions on those days so i never saw those. Just lettin' ya know in case ya wondered why i didn't say a word.
:)

No I'm not gonna do the essay now neither :P

*collective sight of relief is heard through the internet
Voiceroy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Voiceroy »

Since I've read reports that the film has been slightly edited, I'm wondering if they took the time to redub Peabo Bryson's original performance of "A Whole New World" from his constant mispronunciation of "pursue" as "pruh-soo"?
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

Post by That1GuyPictures »

Voiceroy wrote:Since I've read reports that the film has been slightly edited, I'm wondering if they took the time to redub Peabo Bryson's original performance of "A Whole New World" from his constant mispronunciation of "pursue" as "pruh-soo"?
HAHA! That is FUNNY! I never even noticed that before!