Oz: The Great and Powerful

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

This movie does seem to look very pretty.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Okay, I just thought of an idea of what Disney could do, if Oz: The Great and Powerful is a success (which I think it will be). They should have the next film be an adaptation of L Frank Baum's first Wizard of Oz book. Depiste how much I like the musical, I have always wanted to see a filmmaker make a straight live-action adaptation of the book that doesn't simply rely on the '39 musical for inspiration and does its own thing. And have Dorothy played by a child actress rather than a teenager. So then the ending could connect with their earlier film "Return to Oz." It could be Disney's own Oz trilogy albeit with the '85 film being set last in the continuity.

Does anybody else think that's a good idea?
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JustOneBite87 »

estefan wrote:Okay, I just thought of an idea of what Disney could do, if Oz: The Great and Powerful is a success (which I think it will be). They should have the next film be an adaptation of L Frank Baum's first Wizard of Oz book. Depiste how much I like the musical, I have always wanted to see a filmmaker make a straight live-action adaptation of the book that doesn't simply rely on the '39 musical for inspiration and does its own thing. And have Dorothy played by a child actress rather than a teenager. So then the ending could connect with their earlier film "Return to Oz." It could be Disney's own Oz trilogy albeit with the '85 film being set last in the continuity.

I would love that as well but this film is, visually at least, trying to be a prequel to the 1939 MGM film as much as it possibly can without breaching copyright. Too many things that are specific to the look of that movie are incorporated into this film as well. Namely the witch being green with a pointed black hat.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

The trailer looks lovely :!:
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

That looked very cool.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

So, according to the trailer and what DisneyDude2010 posted, Mila Kunis and Rachel Weisz are the Wicked Witches of the East and West. Interesting...

I also find it interesting that even though Mila says they're sisters in the trailer, she has an American accent and her "sister" has an English accent. :?
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Linden wrote:I also find it interesting that even though Mila says they're sisters in the trailer, she has an American accent and her "sister" has an English accent. :?
Happened in 1998's The Parent Trap...
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

estefan wrote:Okay, I just thought of an idea of what Disney could do, if Oz: The Great and Powerful is a success (which I think it will be). They should have the next film be an adaptation of L Frank Baum's first Wizard of Oz book. Depiste how much I like the musical, I have always wanted to see a filmmaker make a straight live-action adaptation of the book that doesn't simply rely on the '39 musical for inspiration and does its own thing. And have Dorothy played by a child actress rather than a teenager. So then the ending could connect with their earlier film "Return to Oz." It could be Disney's own Oz trilogy albeit with the '85 film being set last in the continuity.

That's kind of what I'd like Disney to do, except with the cast made up of existing Disney characters. You know, like the Prince and the Pauper short film with Mickey.
JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JustOneBite87 »

Linden wrote: I also find it interesting that even though Mila says they're sisters in the trailer, she has an American accent and her "sister" has an English accent. :?
Didn't think about that. Maybe they're half sisters? :wink:
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

DisneyJedi wrote:That's kind of what I'd like Disney to do, except with the cast made up of existing Disney characters. You know, like the Prince and the Pauper short film with Mickey.
I don't think you quite get what I mean. I don't think we've seen a director do a straight, live-action non-musical film adaptation of The Wizard of Oz that borrows more elements from the book. And that's what I'm proposing.

In my mind, obviously the '39 elements Raimi has kept in (like the green witch, the black-and-white Kansas) would be used for my hypothetical new adaptation. But it would still try and tackle the story in a new way. So, having Oz be a real place, no Kansas residents that resemble Oz citizens, no song numbers (so, no reference to Over the Rainbow, though they would probably throw one small nod somewhere, anyway), Dorothy being a child, the slippers being silver and rather than ruby and with the technology we have now, the Cowardly Lion can be done with CG rather than a man in makeup and costume. It would also be darker, matching the tone of the Baum book, Oz: The Great and Powerful and Return to Oz. So, again, a Disney Oz trilogy.

That's what I would like to see, anyway. I really like the '39 musical, but I think it's about time somebody did another film adaptation of the book. Just like how I was waiting years for somebody to come along and make an adaptation of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for me (since I hate the Gene Wilder version) and Tim Burton eventually did, I'm sure there are plenty of L Frank Baum fans who aren't fans of the Judy Garland film and want a closer take on the book.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Just making sure, is Mila Kunis playing the Witch of the East or the West?
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

We assume its the west and weisz is the east?
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

This movie looks amazing, great cast and visuals!:D
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
shellysunfish

Post by shellysunfish »

I thought I was the only person on Earth that
wanted a remake (without the songs/based on the book)
Everyone I have told the idea to, didn't like it.
However, if this movie turns out to be good,
I hope it will open up the possibility!
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^No surprise there.

If it doesnt try to be the original, it fails. If it tries to be the original, it fails.

Fan mentality.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

ajmrowland wrote:^No surprise there.

If it doesnt try to be the original, it fails. If it tries to be the original, it fails.

Fan mentality.
Yeah, the opposite of what has been produced is always automatically better.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

shellysunfish wrote:

I thought I was the only person on Earth that
wanted a remake (without the songs/based on the book)
Everyone I have told the idea to, didn't like it.
However, if this movie turns out to be good,
I hope it will open up the possibility!
Well, it's not a remake I want. A remake would be something that redoes the '39 musical. I'm proposing a new adaptation of the book. There's a key difference between the words "remake" and "adaptation." You wouldn't call Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame a remake of the silent film version, would you?

Sorry, somebody using a remake to refer to what is basically a new adaptation of a book really bugs me. :)
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Forgive the basic question .... does Rachel or Mila turn green ? From the cackle, it sounds like Mila ?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

It's Theodora, Mila's character, that's the Wicked Witch of the West. Apparently, Theodora falls for the Wizard (notice that they're kissing in the trailer at one point). But he then gets together with Glenda, Michelle Williams' character, and Theodora's heart gets literally broken. This causes her to turn green and ugly.

Also, something I just thought about. I wonder how they will defeat Rachel Weisz in the end. Because we already know she's still a witch and terrorising the Munchkins at the point where Dorothy's house lands on her. So I wonder how they will write her ending. Though this also goes with my idea that they should make a new adaptation of the first Oz book in the next movie.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

OOOOO thank you for letting me know !

So basically at the end of this there won't be a definitive end I suppose ?