Tangled (formerly Rapunzel) Discussion - Part II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

Do you like the new title change?

Yes
3%
No
34%
It's not that bad/I'm used to it by now
31%
I hate it with a passion
19%
I love it
1%
I don't care either way
12%

Total votes: 146

SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

Wonderlicious wrote:...I wouldn't mind it if Disney changed the title to something involving Rapunzel (heck, don't most people not know who she even is according to market research? :roll: ) but included something boyish as well (like Rapunzel and the Secret Tower or Rapunzel and the Thief; as far as I'm aware, Disney added the dwarfs to the title of Snow White's story, after all)...
Coming soon to theaters & cinamas everywhere: "Rapunzel and the Seven Tangles!" :lol:
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

SillySymphony wrote:Coming soon to theaters & cinamas everywhere: "Rapunzel and the Seven Tangles!" :lol:
Ha, ha, I don't think so. ;) I'd rather see Princess Gregoria and the Seven Mickey Mice. :p
Aqua
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Aqua »

pap64 wrote:So in that Beauty and the Beast game, girls could be the strong, smart, creative and inventive Belle while boys would be the angry, hairy, smelly, ugly, bad tempered, rude, lacking manners Beast?

Am I the only one detecting a hint of sexism here?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would like to be strong, smart, creative and inventive!!!!

:D

Tangled....I have no clue, it's just a film title but I don't think of anything story-related....Just getting tangled....
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... rnoon.html
Tangled, the movie in production, is generally liked, although some departments on the first floor are still waiting for the production wave to hit at full force.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I have just seen the trailer, and it makes me think about Medusa from Fantastic Four. As for the animation, I'm not going to have an opinion before I see some completed footage.
Disney Duster

Rapunzel or Tangled

Post by Disney Duster »

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet? Let's try a little mind experiment with Beauty and the Beast.

You start watching this film. It opens with a beautiful, shining castle in a forest, with gorgeous piano music. You hear a mature voice tell a story of a Prince who is has a serious selfishness that brings him to even refuse a helpless old woman, and then watch her become a beautiful enchantress who turns him into a horrible beast in beautiful stained-glass windows. The Beast claws his own portrait and falls into despair, and we ar asked "who could ever learn to love a Beast?" Then, it blacks out, and the title comes up...

"Hairy"

Then you see Belle come out of her cottage in front of a beautiful morning sky, singing a song about wanting more than her provincial life...

But you almost laughed at that ridiculous title, or it also jarred you because it didn't fit with the rest of the film you saw, not to mention it's less good than the rest of the film you saw, a step down, and taking it in that direction. And you're stuck on that for while when you're trying to enjoy the rest of the film...

It is very ignoring to say that a title, like a line or a joke or a moment, can not effect the restof a film if it bothers you. A title, just like a prologue, can actually make the whole tone of a film.

And it might not just be a title change. They may try to change the smell of the rose, and the rose itself, too. It's no stretch to think a change of the title that represents the film doesn't mean other changes.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Re: Rapunzel or Tangled

Post by KubrickFan »

Disney Duster wrote:A rose by any other name would smell as sweet? Let's try a little mind experiment with Beauty and the Beast.

You start watching this film. It opens with a beautiful, shining castle in a forest, with gorgeous piano music. You hear a mature voice tell a story of a Prince who is has a serious selfishness that brings him to even refuse a helpless old woman, and then watch her become a beautiful enchantress who turns him into a horrible beast in beautiful stained-glass windows. The Beast claws his own portrait and falls into despair, and we ar asked "who could ever learn to love a Beast?" Then, it blacks out, and the title comes up...

"Hairy"

Then you see Belle come out of her cottage in front of a beautiful morning sky, singing a song about wanting more than her provincial life...

But you almost laughed at that ridiculous title, or it also jarred you because it didn't fit with the rest of the film you saw, not to mention it's less good than the rest of the film you saw, a step down, and taking it in that direction. And you're stuck on that for while when you're trying to enjoy the rest of the film...

It is very ignoring to say that a title, like a line or a joke or a moment, can not effect the restof a film if it bothers you. A title, just like a prologue, can actually make the whole tone of a film.

And it might not just be a title change. They may try to change the smell of the rose, and the rose itself, too. It's no stretch to think a change of the title that represents the film doesn't mean other changes.
You're forgetting that Beauty and the Beast is actually a good title, while Rapunzel is more 'meh''. If you have to compare it to something else, compare it to Rumpelstiltskin. It may fit the premise better, but it isn't a very good title.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

KubrickFan wrote:
You're forgetting that Beauty and the Beast is actually a good title, while Rapunzel is more 'meh''. If you have to compare it to something else, compare it to Rumpelstiltskin. It may fit the premise better, but it isn't a very good title.
Neither is Tangled. The difference being that 'Rapunzel' at least retains some semblance of seriousness.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

I personally think The Princess and the Frog is a worse title than Tangled.

First of all, the movie was a mixture of the frog princess and the frog prince. There is no point in the movie where tiana is a princess and naveen is a frog. The title is misleading and that bothers me. If their not gonna use the frog princess/the frog prince, then atleast call it The Frog and the Frog. Or is the title character really Lottie?

I think it's gonna be rather neat having a film released as Tangled which everyone will ultimately refer to as Rapunzel, or atleast 'that rapunzel movie'.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

yukitora wrote:I personally think The Princess and the Frog is a worse title than Tangled.

First of all, the movie was a mixture of the frog princess and the frog prince. There is no point in the movie where tiana is a princess and naveen is a frog. The title is misleading and that bothers me. If their not gonna use the frog princess/the frog prince, then atleast call it The Frog and the Frog. Or is the title character really Lottie?
I agree. That has bothered me, too. I think it's officially the worst Disney title either.
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Okay, I just received an email from the LA Times about the petition I started regarding the title change of "Rapunzel"/"Tangled". They want to ask me some questions.

My initial RAGE about the title change has ebbed, but when I respond and do awnser questions it might be a good opportunity to voice the opinions of fans in a well-worded way. The fear fans have that marketing and p.r. are overshadowing and losing faith in the creativity of the actual filmmakers. The Disney legacy, the opinions we have on this subject.

Is there anything you guys think I should definately mention? I'll respond and see what happens, if they send me a list of questions I'll let you know and we might be able to use it to get noticed and get our points across, in a reasonable way.
Candy-Bonita95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Candy-Bonita95 »

robster16 wrote:Okay, I just received an email from the LA Times about the petition I started regarding the title change of "Rapunzel"/"Tangled". They want to ask me some questions.

My initial RAGE about the title change has ebbed, but when I respond and do awnser questions it might be a good opportunity to voice the opinions of fans in a well-worded way. The fear fans have that marketing and p.r. are overshadowing and losing faith in the creativity of the actual filmmakers. The Disney legacy, the opinions we have on this subject.

Is there anything you guys think I should definately mention? I'll respond and see what happens, if they send me a list of questions I'll let you know and we might be able to use it to get noticed and get our points across, in a reasonable way.
:shock: Maybe this will be the biggest controversy over a Disney film ever!Bigger than that stupid debate over Tiana's and Naveen's race.
Maybe not the biggest controversy,but the most important controversy of Disney's marketing schemes.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Candy-Bonita95 wrote:
robster16 wrote:Okay, I just received an email from the LA Times about the petition I started regarding the title change of "Rapunzel"/"Tangled". They want to ask me some questions.

:shock: Maybe this will be the biggest controversy over a Disney film ever!Bigger than that stupid debate over Tiana's and Naveen's race.
Maybe not the biggest controversy,but the most important controversy of Disney's marketing schemes.
Perhaps. :P
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

if that happens....I guess this century's Song of the South will be Tangled :roll: :P
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Giygas
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Giygas »

yukitora wrote:I personally think The Princess and the Frog is a worse title than Tangled.
Yes, but with that title [The Princess and the Frog] you instantly know what the film is about.
yukitora wrote:The title is misleading and that bothers me.
Would rather have it called Voodoo Frogs?
Disney Duster

Rapunzel or Tangled

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow robster, and I signed that petition, too!

I'm going to throw out some things, I would like people's suggestions as to whether you think it is good and should be said or not, but robster, you ultimately decide.

Okay, first, Disney cited one of the reasons the title changed was because market research said people outside of the U.S. and Germany did not recognize it. But, all the other countries can retitle their film, as they have many past Disney films. France is already planning on calling the film "Princess Rapunzel" in their language.

But if not as many people know what the story is from the title "Rapunzel", even less people will know what it is from the title "Tangled". What Disney needs to do to sell the film is use the trailers, previews, and other advertisements, while the name "Rapunzel" that more people like and recognize can be kept.

Also, the name Rapunzel is the name the original creator, Glen Keane, and many people working on the film preferred, so the title was only changed by the marketing department! But they can market the film however they want, while leaving the actual film, including it's title, alone.

Also, the title matters in whether or not this will be Disney doing a story the Disney way. Sometimes it seems like Disney is trying to become another studio just to get bigger audiences. But Disney needs to be themselves.

Many people have been waiting for the Disney version of Rapunzel, and sometimes it sounds like that is not what we are getting.

We are worried how much Disney is going to change into another studio, or how much marketing and research is going to interfere with the Disney films and creativity. We are worried their films are becoming more about marketability than telling good stories and being great experiences.

Lastly, Disney can do whatever they want to any new movie, but when the film has been made to tell the story of Rapunzel with that name, they can't go and change it into something it's not!

We also heard that Disney may have changed the name to get more boys to see the film, but once again boys will only want to see the film if they see the trailers, the previews, and the other advertisements. They can still call the film "Rapunzel" or maybe "Rapunzel and the Thief" or "Rapunzel and the Bandit" because it sounds classic, it sounds like the story they are telling, it just sounds better, and boys will like it. It's a win win situation. But the advertisents for the film are what will really sell the film.

Choose which of those things you think would be good to say. Does anyone have a say on what they think is good to say and what is not? And I'm not talking about if you agree or not, I'm talking about is there anything I said that could hurt our chances more than help them?
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

At the end of the email, I would invite them to the forum to see for themselves our worries and concerns. If they want to know more from specific forum members they have the option of sending PM's to them.
Disney Duster

Rapunzel or Tangled

Post by Disney Duster »

I think people seeing all our complaining and ranting on this foum would not be a good thing! I think we should all agree on what should be said and what should not be, especially robster having final say. But you're right, it is up to robster if he wants them to look at the forum or not, also. And remember, they won't know exactly where to go, they'll have to guide themselves on our forum, and then they will get to pick and choose comments and spin us however they want! It needs to be more controlled and decided by the fans and robster.

Also, mentioning "The Snow Queen" getting shelved gives us evidence that they are afraid not enough boys like princess films, and once again marketing fears are ruining what the creative people have loved working on and said was getting good (I may not be right about this, though). And they don't yet have a new hand-drawn animated feature coming up to replace it!

That's another main point. Rapunzel, sounded like a really good film from what people working on it or saw it said, so that should be enough. There was no need for a title change and people who have been working on the film did not want the change!

Also make sure you said that you dodn't see any Disney film as a princess film. They have lots of male characters, too, and everyone, boy or girl, loves the films even if they are about a princess! That is one reason Disney is so good! And boys love girl characters, too, so sweet and nice, or adventurous.

Sorry I added so much more!
Last edited by Disney Duster on Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Disney Duster wrote:I think people seeing all our complaining and ranting on this forum would not be a good thing!
But isn't that the point? I mean, that is what the petition is. Also, that's what all of the points you are suggesting being brought up are. lol

In my opinion, the title change was inconvenient but not a huge deal. I personally would not want our entire community here at UD being represented as pissed off about the title change. I know that the email was sent to robster16, but to ask for "our" opinion on what to ask would directly be "the word" of the citizens on UD. So if we are going to be a part of this apparent article they are writing, I'd rather them come here to the forum and ask us personally. Otherwise, the Times should just ask people who signed the petition and robster should do the same.
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

in the meantime, the new logo: