The Graveyard Book

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

The Graveyard Book

Post by Disneyphile »

EXCLUSIVE: Disney has just made a high six figure deal for The Graveyard Book, the bestselling children’s title by Neil Gaiman. The book, which won the Newberry Medal among other awards, is a riff on Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book. Instead of a boy raised by wolves in the jungle, Gaiman tells the story of the last surviving child of a murdered family raised by ghosts in a graveyard. Gaiman’s works include Coraline, The Sandman and American Gods.

The book attracted attention at every studio upon release, and it was optioned for a large fee by UK Effects House Framestore. They had Neil Jordan attached to direct, but never got it off the ground, even though they kept renewing the option. Disney production chief Sean Bailey stepped in and made Framestore a producer. The project was brought in by Tendo Nagenda and is a priority for the studio and a potential coup for Bailey.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/disney- ... yard-book/
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Sounds interesting, and hopefully it'll be part of a return to form for live-action Disney. I like what I've read of Neil Gaiman's work, though that list doesn't yet include The Graveyard Book. :p
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

UPDATE: This Disney deal for Neil Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book keeps getting more interesting. I’ve learned that Henry Selick, who helmed Gaiman’s Coraline, is now attached to direct The Graveyard Book at Disney. Selick, best known for Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas and Roald Dahl’s James and the Giant Peach, is already working for Disney-based Pixar on a top secret film. But he’ll do this one after. Selick is repped by The Gotham Group. They are looking for a screenwriter now.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

THIS DOESN'T FEEL MUCH LIKE THE DISNEY ESSENCE TO ME :(
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

So, since Henry Selick is attached to direct, will the project be stop-motion animated? Will it be the second feature out of Selick's new-found studio (the first one being Shademaker)?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

I'm really happy with the stopmotion push Disney is on between Frankenweenie, Shademaker and this.

In before Disney Duster comes in to derail the thread.
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Re: "The Graveyard Book" movie

Post by Sky Syndrome »

I'm going to get my hands on this book. It sounds intriguing. I know Henry Selick will make a great film based on it. I enjoyed The Nightmare Before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach, and Coraline.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Re: "The Graveyard Book" movie

Post by Lnds500 »

Sky Syndrome wrote:I'm going to get my hands on this book. It sounds intriguing. I know Henry Selick will make a great film based on it. I enjoyed The Nightmare Before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach, and Coraline.
It's very good! I've finished it quite recently myself

It's darker than anything Selick has done before though (the known staff at least). Wonder how Disney will market this.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hahaha I'm fine with this hahaha.

I mean, maybe it's not quite fitting for the Disney Essence but Disney could potentially work their essence on this one, knowing The Haunted Mansion and, of course, The Jungle Book.

Hahaha on you SpringHeelJack and FigmentJedi!

That's strange though, it seems you two CAN tell when Disney chooses something that is dangerously close to not fitting the essense. Sounds like some hypocrites have been lying this whole time about there being no essence and Disney being fine. Hahaha!!!
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Disney Duster wrote:Sounds like some hypocrites have been lying this whole time about there being no essence and Disney being fine. Hahaha!!!
Nah, I'm just shooting at random to see what Disney-related topic will drive you into an apoplectic rant about the essence.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Oh I'm very open minded about Disney trying darker things.
I just figured that if you were so close-minded about anything that isn't a fairy-tale that you'd find a Disney adaptation of a story that starts out with a family being stabbed to death absolutely deplorable.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm pretty sure the both of you can detect how far this could stray from the Disney essence and you're trying to hide it! Of course, for now I will have to take your word for it however doubtfully.

Hahaha, you think I'm only okay with Disney doing fairy tales. I don't know if you know better or are saying that on purpose. If you need proof, I was okay with Winnie the Pooh wasn't I?

And how many fairy tales have children orphaned by parent's deaths let alone villains trying to kill heroes and getting stabbed themselves not to mention what happened in Tarzan.

Aaaand this is Disney's live-action stuff not there DAC's, their live-action has always been a little different.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Definitely sounds like an interesting concept. I've never heard of this book before so I'll have to add it to my "need to read" list.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Disney Duster wrote:I'm pretty sure the both of you can detect how far this could stray from the Disney essence and you're trying to hide it! Of course, for now I will have to take your word for it however doubtfully.
Please, tell us more about all your conspiracy theories. :lol:
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 87498.html

An interesting article that mentions The Graveyard Book as well as a new live-action remake of The Jungle Book that Warner Brothers is producing and is written by Steve Kloves, who wrote most of the Harry Potter screenplays.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

WELL, I can tell you Walt would have NEVER made this movie, SO THERE.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

SpringHeelJack wrote:WELL, I can tell you Walt would have NEVER made this movie, SO THERE.
He couldn't have made it into a movie if it came out after he had died.However,I don't know Mr.Disney wasn't one who stayed to one formula and I think he probably would have some interest in doing this because come on he had some great plans for the Haunted Mansion that never got off the ground.I think he would have been very interested in making a horror based story.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

jazzflower92 wrote:
SpringHeelJack wrote:WELL, I can tell you Walt would have NEVER made this movie, SO THERE.
He couldn't have made it into a movie if it came out after he had died.
EXACTLY. :p
jazzflower92 wrote:I think he would have been very interested in making a horror based story.
That's what "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" in The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad was! :p And of course, many other Disney animated films have their fair share of horror (the Queen/Witch in Snow White, the death of Bambi's mother, "Night on Bald Mountain", the Pleasure Island scenes in Pinocchio...).

And in case anybody still wants to moan or try and contradict anything I say, this won't be classed as part of the traditional Disney canon. Though made under Disney, it wouldn't be produced by WDAS.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Another article about the planned adaptation...

Disney Deals for Neil Gaiman’s THE GRAVEYARD BOOK with Henry Selick to Direct
http://collider.com/neil-gaiman-graveya ... ck/162542/
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Like everything Disney, Walt always made a certain kind and "safe" and "clean" kind of horror, so that should at least be what this book is/how they make this movie.