Maleficent (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Disney Live On wrote: Not really into Blachett. I dont think she has the beauty or the sophistication that Maleificent needs.
Galadrielle would like a word....
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I was the first one to suggest del Toro...
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderlandFever »

He needs to stick to the Haunted Mansion reboot which seems to have totally died off on the news front recently :S
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Joe Roth will produce Maleficent for Disney!

This is great news! This means it's actually happening....right?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I looked up Joe Roth's track record...and it's AWWWWFULLLL!!!!!!!!

He did crappy, crappy movies. He produced Alice in Wonderland, which was okay and at least that's a connection to the kind of film Disney wants and is actually the same film that brought on this movie in the first place, but still.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

For once, I concur with Duster. I'm disappointed in you, Disney.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Oh yikes I just looked him up. I agree not the most promising line of films thus far. He does have Alice (which did make some serious cash), and it would appear that he has some similar projects coming up (Oz the Great and Powerful, Snow White and the Huntsman). I will hold out further judgement until we see more.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

he seems pretty hot and cold to me. There are some gems on his resume, Knight and Day (which I didn't hate), Angels in the Outfield, and Mona Lisa Smile to name a few other than Alice.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

I agree, He's not that kind of person that makes me think "Wow"
I thought Tim did Alice brilliantly and I think Sam's vision for Oz sounds stunning! I just hope that If Maleficent does go into production they will have the teams from Alice and Oz to help him.

I love Maleficent and I hope they do make this movie :D :D
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Disney's 'Maleficent' gets a director

Post by Loomis »

Following this morning’s announcement of a director for Disney’s untitled Matterhorn film, Disney have once again put it out there that visual effects man Robert Stromberg has been chosen to helm Maleficent, the Angelina Jolie vehicle.

http://www.thereelbits.com/2012/01/07/d ... aleficent/

While this marks another first-time director for a major Disney film, Stromberg certainly knows his way around a special effect and a large-scale production. Stromberg was the production designer on Avatar, Alice in Wonderland and the forthcoming Oz: The Great and Powerful, and has been in the visual effects departments of Fortress to TV’s Boardwalk Empire.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

He's more a production designer than just a "visual effects" guy.

So the awful Alice in Wonderland producer Joe Roth is producing...but this new guy, also from Alice, might turn out to be a good director? At least Alice did look really good, so this probably will.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

This is either going to turn out like Glenn close's brilliant Cruella or fall flat on its face.

I'm guessing the latter. Jolie is no Close. :P
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

At least Burton is out, Alice looked amazing, but the story had no "umph". Here's hoping they get a good screenplay.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

OMG! I forgot to say HI LOOMIS GLAD TO SEE YOU! Back for updating us? :)
rs_milo_whatever wrote:At least Burton is out, Alice looked amazing, but the story had no "umph". Here's hoping they get a good screenplay.
Burton wasn't at fault for the story, it was fault of the screenplay writer Linda Woolverton. The one who's writing the screenplay for this film. Yea. Here's to hoping this new director can overcome her crap (unless she actually writes a good one this time like she did for Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King, though I'd like better screenplays than those too, like more deeply complex or adult. Maybe this time at least she'll make it tasteful and make sense and fit or something).
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

So is Angelina Jolie confirmed as Maleficent? I really like Jolie, so I do hope she will stay on this project. With Robert Stromberg this movie will at least look amazing. With Jolie's schedule, we might see this movie in... 2014?

Robert Stromberg to Direct Disney’s MALEFICENT Starring Angelina Jolie
http://collider.com/robert-stromberg-maleficent/135795/

I also hope that this will not "only" be about Maleficent and her backstory, but that it will feature the story of Disney's Sleeping Beauty, at least to a certain degree. I would like to see Aurora, Philip, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather in it.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

There is already a thread about this film. Please continue the discussion there.

:)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Maleficent will be Angelina Jolie's next movie. Angelina Jolie, speaking at a crowded press conference Saturday at the Berlin Film Festival, where her feature directorial debut 'In the Land of Blood and Honey' is screening out of competition, brought up the project when asked about the next step in her career.

"I haven't acted in two years, and I haven't done anything else since this [Land of Blood and Honey]. The next thing I am looking at is a Disney movie," said the world-famous actress.

Jolie also had been eyeing a Luc Besson movie that had been set to start production in April, but that project appears to be off the table for the actress, insiders say. In an interview with THR in December interview, she suggested she probably couldn't do both, since Maleificent could get underway by the end of the year or earlier next year.

Maleficent has gained momentum in recent weeks with Robert Stromberg brought on as director. Stromberg was the production designer on Avatar and Alice in Wonderland, as well as on Disney's upcoming Oz the Great and Powerful.

Jolie has long been toying with the idea of playing the famous sorceress in the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale. In an interview with THR last December, she also revealed her children want her to make the movie and even call her "mom-elicent." She's also eager to make a live-action family film after her experience voicing the Kung Fu Panda franchise.

"The best thing to find that balance is to do something that is just for children," Jolie said at Saturday's midafternoon press conference in Berlin. "You know, you find different ways to make things matter. When, for example, you do fun action movies, they are empowering for my daughters," she said.

Jolie told THR in the December interview that she adores screenwriter Linda Woolverton's revisionist take on the fairy tale, and the complex relationship between Maleficent and Sleeping Beauty.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/b ... ent-289515
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

So it's official, then? Angelina is plaiyng the Mistress of All Evil herself?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris wrote:
Disney's Maleficent will be Angelina Jolie's next movie.
YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! Big A-list actor being big A-list Disney character!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, thank you sotiris!!!!
Jolie has long been toying with the idea of playing the famous sorceress in the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale. In an interview with THR last December, she also revealed her children want her to make the movie and even call her "mom-elicent." She's also eager to make a live-action family film after her experience voicing the Kung Fu Panda franchise.

"The best thing to find that balance is to do something that is just for children," Jolie said at Saturday's midafternoon press conference in Berlin. "You know, you find different ways to make things matter. When, for example, you do fun action movies, they are empowering for my daughters," she said.
What does she mean? That she views Maleficent as a kid's movie, or that she views King Fu Panda as a kid's movie that helps her see she wants to do a family movie with a balance of grown-up and kids' things?

This quote is out of context so what did she mean by "that balance". What balance? The live-action family film balance?
Jolie told THR in the December interview that she adores screenwriter Linda Woolverton's revisionist take on the fairy tale, and the complex relationship between Maleficent and Sleeping Beauty.
Good she loves the script, which we feared would be the worst thing about this (the Alice in Wonderland script blew), but is she talking about the relationship between Maleficent and Sleepin Beauty the movie (doubtful) or Maleficent and Aurora (what? WHAT?! HOW?! She was a baby...what?!?!!!! Is she jealous Aurora knows "love and kindness and the joy of helping others?")?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I still don't know what in the hell Jolie means when she talks movies, but hey, in all truth, she will make a stunning Maleficent.
Disney Duster wrote:Good she loves the script, which we feared would be the worst thing about this (the Alice in Wonderland script blew)
Still not very reassuring, though. Actors go on the record all the time about how they love the scripts to their movies, but then they come out and they're "Tooth Fairy." Yes, Julie, I'm looking at you. ;)