Maleficent (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Since Burton has left Maleficent the title of this debate should be edited. Disney still wants to make this film.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Patrick wrote:Did I read that correctly? Burton has left "Tim Burtons: Maleficent?" ... :o
It's not like "Maleficent" was some pet project of his. Disney wanted to make a movie capitalizing on Maleficent's popularity (and to some extent, probably the popularity of "Wicked") and approached Tim Burton to helm it. I don't blame him for leaving. I'm still not convinced this is needed in any way, and I'm especially not convinced that Angelina Jolie should play Maleficent. I can't stand her.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Disney Live On
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney Live On »

In all honesty (and I love him so don't get me wrong) but Burton has lost his edge of late. I went to see Alice because it was his film and I adored some of the actors featured. Still really enjoyed the film but it just didn't feel like a Burton outing, especially the opening. Burton has a unique style that appears in all his films and Alice just didn't have that effect.

I think if he directed Maleificent it would have to herald back to the way he designed Nightmare, Corpse Bride and Edward Scissorhands with that amazing gothic look and feel. But I really think, especially after Sweeney Todd where Burton revealed his limitations when its comes to genre, another director is needed and Burton needs to reassess his filmic techniques.

Getting the director from Black Swan would be incredible!!!! I adore that movie, not just because it was intriguing, beautiful and uniquely terrifying but because his direction was top notch. The characters were all so engaging and real and he really threw himself into the genre.

I am actually more excited for this film now that he might be involved and I think its because there is a chance I can see more of his work on screen in similar style to Black Swan. A movie about a witches turn to ultimate evil- sounds like a pretty complex mental journey to me and that is what he excels at :D

Also I'm having weird visuals of Natalie Portman as Aurora's mother in her youth (since this is a prequel after all she may need to have more then just one line in this movie). lol
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris wrote:
Since dropping out of Fox’s The Wolverine, director Darren Aronofsky has been linked to a number of projects. Everyone wants to know what he’ll choose as his follow up to the smashing success that was Black Swan. Earlier this month, it was reported that he was eyeing the sci-fi flick Human Nature with George Clooney attached to star. Now, Badass Digest reports that the director is being courted for two other high-profile projects: Disney wants him to helm Maleficent and Warner Bros. is courting the director for Moses.

Maleficent just recently lost its director, as Tim Burton bowed out a few days ago, but David Yates has been mentioned as a possible replacement.
Source: http://collider.com/darren-aronofsky-ma ... ses/91971/
No offense to Tim Burton and Alice (2010) fans, but....
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P3ALwKeSEYs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'M SO GLAD TIM BURTON QUIT! HE DESTROYED ALICE IN WONDERLAND! Sleeping Beauty is my FAVE Disney movie, and if he made AIW creepy, ugh I CANNOT imagine his vision of the world of my fave Disney princess and what he would to her (but I think he wouldn't ruin her).
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

Maleficent = Angelina Jolie
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

David O. Russell, coming off his Oscar nomination for The Fighter, seems to be circling 1,000 projects at the moment, and another one has just been added to the list. THR reports that Russell is currently one of the directors being considered to helm Disney’s fantasy flick Maleficent.

Disney is looking at a number of directors for the job (Darren Aronofsky and David Yates have been mentioned) and Russell has plenty on his plate already, so this deal is far from a sure thing, but it appears Russell is on the list of candidates. Russell's calendar opened up when he parted ways last month with Columbia Pictures, where he was attached to direct Unchartered Drake's Fortune, based on the popular video game.
Source: http://collider.com/david-o-russell-mal ... ted/96494/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

WarriorDreamer wrote:Maleficent = Angelina Jolie
I really don't know about that .... I hated her in Tomb Raider and ever since I have never really been a big fan of hers.
I would really like to see idina menzel but i bet most people would hate that idea and be like "No!" But I would really like to see her in this (Y)

Question ...
Is this going to be released the same year as Oz the Great and Powerful because if that happens one of the films would struggle because they will be so simuilar (my opinion)
and A link to the OZ thread please :D

thanks folks :P
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderlandFever »

I'm still not sure if I like the idea of doing this....I think I'm most afraid they are going to ruin Maleficent's character and now Burton is out I really do fear for how it will turn out :S
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:
I really don't know about that .... I hated her in Tomb Raider and ever since I have never really been a big fan of hers.
I would really like to see idina menzel but i bet most people would hate that idea and be like "No!" But I would really like to see her in this (Y)
Idina Menzel would be great but then she's been playing the Wicked Witch for so long I doubt she'd want to play another iconic/ notorious witch. Maleficent needs to be played by someone who is incredibly beautiful but at the same time very threatning. And alot of power comes from her elegance. I can't think of anyone better than Angelina. She's like the ultimate Femme Fatal.

Plus, she said herself she always loved Maleficent as a kid, and she's got that skinny frame now so we wouldn't need to worry about her having curves, which Maleficent hasn't got. :wink:
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:
YESSSSSSSSSS! Idina would be perfect for Malificent! She played one of the most beloved villians in movie history, so why not Malificent? Better than Angelina, who would do a good job with her too.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Hey isn't Angelina Jolie also the person who said "I won't show my kids Disney movie because they don't have an African American main character in them"?

I guess Princess and the Frog changed her mind.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Idina Menzel is not a very convincing or especially remarkable actress. That would be an even worse choice than Angelina Jolie.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

SpringHeelJack wrote:Idina Menzel is not a very convincing or especially remarkable actress. That would be an even worse choice than Angelina Jolie.
I agree I love Idina but she is not that great of an actress plus people would compare the ilm to Wicked even more than they would if she played Maleficent. And I am not a fan of Angelina at all personally I have only liked her in one or two roles I have seen her in and I certainly cannot see her playing Malefcent.

Like I said in an earlier post Michelle Phiffer, Cate Blanchett, Tilda Swinton, Miranda Richardson would all be great choices. Anjelica Huston would be amazing if she was a few years younger. What about Eva Green????
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderlandFever »

Jay wrote: Anjelica Huston would be amazing if she was a few years younger.
If I had to pick someone I would also say her.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Personally, I would love Angelina Jolie to play the part. She is a dark beauty, and that would work for Maleficent, imo--she's the only villainess I never thought was a hag. Plus, her role as the Queen in Alexander shows she's capable of a character like Maleficent. Even in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, she just has a coldness that would suit Mal to me.

I've never thought she was a bad actress. She's just always been in bad movies. If not Jolie, then Cate Blanchett. Like Houston, but she's too old.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

If not Angelina Jolie, then Nicole Kidman or Michelle Pheiffer would both be great. But I do like the idea of Jolie as Maleficent...
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Disney Live On
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney Live On »

Love the idea of Michelle Pfeiffer. She is incredibly beautiful and the right age to. Her performance in Satrdust shows how perfect she is for Maleificent. I'd say Pfeiffer or Jolie who be my top picks for the role. Not really into Blachett. I dont think she has the beauty or the sophistication that Maleificent needs.
Disney's Divinity

Except the witch in Stardust is nothing like Maleficent. At most, she was like the Queen or Ursula--sexual and over-the-top. Not cold.

(Also, people were complaining about Jolie, but I’ve never thought Pfieffer was a good actress)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Guillermo del Toro would love to direct 'Maleficent'.
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/06/ ... d-love-to/
“Let me put it this way, if they ask I’ll take the meeting,” Del Toro said, speaking by phone from Toronto. “I think Maleficent’s dragon is the only design with the wings separate from the front legs, the only time that design has ever worked. And let me tell you how much of a fan I am. I have a collection of over two or three dozen Maleficent figures, some of them four or five feet tall. I own about 10 pieces of conceptual art from ‘Sleeping Beauty’ that include the dragon and a lot more pieces that are just from ‘Sleeping Beauty.’ It’s one of my three favorite Disney films. I would love to. But I don’t want to put too many hopes on it. They’re probably on a fast track and I cannot take any more projects on a fast track.“
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

I hope he gets it, but unlikely. :(