Maleficent (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Speaking of actors playing different roles and doing so successfully...

Take Heath Ledger for instance...he could play a gay cowboy and still be a badass as Joker. Both roles, he did an amazing job. Actors twice his age were not as good as he was.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, I'm not that excited for this. While a Burton-Maleficent initially excites me, I can't honestly see a film centered on Maleficent getting far off the ground. You'd practically have to make up your own character, there's that little there.

Regardless, Michelle Pfieffer? Why is it that she's getting such a large rep. these days just from having starred in Stardust? Besides, she's always brought a sultry quality to her characters--more of an Ursula (not ugly enough though) or Eris than a Maleficent. Which worked in Stardust, because the witch was sultry and beauty obsessed. Not Maleficent material though.

Nicole Kidman I like, but she's no Maleficent either. Didn't think she did a good job as Mrs. Coulter in Golden Compass, and that's the same kind of character as here. Susan Sarandon...just, no. She was horrible in Enchanted and, though that might be someone else's fault (directing her wrong) because I've liked her elsewhere, I just don't think she could do Maleficent either.

Meryl Streep's the only one mentioned so far I could see doing this character justice, since she's played that character (superbly) before. But, then, I for one think Streep could play anything superbly.

But Helena Bonham Carter will most likely get the role. She's a good actress, only most of what I know of her has usually involved an insane-ish character (Morgan le Fay, Mrs. Lovett, Bellatrix, the Queen of Hearts, Frankenstein's bride). Which I don't think is Maleficent either.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Tim Burton's Aurora. You know it's going to happen.

<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

no not that. I have the my side of the story book with Aurora and the one with CInderella with I don't like cause of them becmoing vets at the end is so out of character.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

bradhig wrote:no not that. I have the my side of the story book with Aurora and the one with CInderella with I don't like cause of them becmoing vets at the end is so out of character.
Wha? The Aurora story doesn't have her becoming vets. WTF are you talking about? (unless you are only referring to the Cinderella one, which I have not read.).
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

I do appreciate them being different. In fact I hate when actors play they same part over and over (Will Farrel, Jennifer Anniston). Actually I thought I said people I've seen with this sort of role shouldn't play it, even though they've done a good job. Come to think of it, this could be a great role for anybody that has acted the opposite in every one of her movies or looks sweet an innocent; that would make the movie a lot more interesting. If the girl pulls it off of course. May be Anne Hathaway or Natalie Portman if you go in a younger direction.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Super Aurora wrote:
bradhig wrote:no not that. I have the my side of the story book with Aurora and the one with CInderella with I don't like cause of them becmoing vets at the end is so out of character.
Wha? The Aurora story doesn't have her becoming vets. WTF are you talking about? (unless you are only referring to the Cinderella one, which I have not read.).
I was talking about the Cinderella story which has Cinderella and her prince becoming vets.
Disney Duster

Tim Burton's Maleficent?!

Post by Disney Duster »

No, rs_milo_whatever, I was saying that even if you have seen them in roles similar to Maleficent, they still aren't Maleficent. That's why I mentioned nuance and details. Becoming a specific person.

A problem people seem to have is lumping many "types" of characters (or any thing) into the same category instead of looking at the differences between each one of them, if small.

Just because you can play a general regal villainous witch-like character does not mean you have already played Maleficent. After all, Eleanor Audley played Lady Tremaine and Maleficent. Two similar characters...who are still distinctly different characters. I love how she changed her voice just the right way...if not a a hugely different way, enough of a way. A new way, for a new character.

So give actors a chance to...act! To act differently from any previous role, even previous similar roles.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ala ad-Din

Post by Ala ad-Din »

So this would be like a 1/2 sequel? Sorta like The Lion King 1/2 with Timon & Pumba's perspective of the events? lol
Disney's Divinity

Re: Tim Burton's Maleficent?!

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Disney Duster wrote:
A problem people seem to have is lumping to many "types" of characters (or any thing) into the same category instead of looking at the differences between each one of them, if small.
I know the difference between characters. That doesn't change the fact that there are character types. When actors have mostly played and been successful at playing 4 or 5 characters of the same type, I don't think it's wrong to say that's what they're best at. They haven't shown us any reason to think otherwise; don't play Batman for 3 to 5 movies in a row if you don't want to be type-cast. And I especially wouldn't take a chance on an actor with the title role.
Just because you can play a general regal villainous witch-like character does not mean have already played Maleficent.
I didn't say they were the same, I said they were similar types of characters. If you can play one, you'll have an easier time grasping the other.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

I see what you mean and I agree. But since there are very few of these characters these days, I don't really see these actresses considering the roles for this types of criticism.. But I would love Michelle Pfeifer to consider it.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Tim Burton directing a Maleficent movie?!?! When is the part where I wake up? :D

I imagine so many cool possibilities that could come from this!

As far as actresses, Carter would obviously be the one that's expected to take the role. That's not a bad thing, though, as I think she would be great, and has a good look for the character. However, Streep would be great as well. Though, based on the regal presence and voice, I think a wonderful actress for the role would be Bebe Neuwirth. She looks the part, and her voice is so rich!

I really hope we get more news on this soon!
Disney Duster

Tim Burton's Maleficent

Post by Disney Duster »

I could see Michelle Pfeifer except she's not tall, and I think she may come off almost too...sweet and petite. Not powerful enough, I can't imagine. But I would totally not mind them putting her in something to make her taller and seeing that much different a look or take on Maleficent, anyway. And she could have the power in her no matter what she looks like.

Pfeifer was really considered for Queen Narissa?

And I was wondering when sith would see this! Oh yea the girl from Frasier! I really could see her as the part! Her voice would work quite well! You still have your Kradam avatar, ahee.

Now all we need to see this is Disney Villain!
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

NO thank you. Tim Burton's imagination is too dark for me. I prefer to see Maleficent as a villain and not some poor abused little girl who was mistreated and turned evil by some enchantress who left her a spinning wheel or something weird.

I remember a book my teacher read to my class in grade school. It was called the True Story of the Three Little Pigs, told by A. Wolf It was from his point of view, trying to defend his actions. This Maleficent movie sounds like it'd be quite similar.

*will also NEVER watch his vision of Alice in Wonderland*
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Re: Tim Burton's Maleficent

Post by Siren »

Disney Duster wrote:I could see Michelle Pfeifer except she's not tall, and I think she may come off almost too...sweet and petite. Not powerful enough, I can't imagine. But I would totally not mind them putting her in something to make her taller and seeing that much different a look or take on Maleficent, anyway. And she could have the power in her no matter what she looks like.
I feel the same way. Maleficent looks down on everyone, both physically and mentally.. She should be taller than most people. Of course such a thing can be accomplished by angles, wardrobe, and props, but still, Pfeifer is an amazing actress but I don't see her as playing Maleficent.

Glenn Close already played Cruella, so I don't think I'd want to see her type cast for a similar role again, but I am thinking an actress more like her is better. Not sure of her height, but Marina Sirtis's voice is certainly spot on for Maleficent. She can sound so beautiful and evil at the same time. She's played evil before ;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kpfcJd87nr0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kpfcJd87nr0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I am kinda like the idea of Marina as Maleficent :D
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

I, for one, think that Maleficent should not be evil to begin with.... I always thought that maybe she was just a normal fairy like the other three, but for some reason, went over to the dark side. Maybe she was sedcued by power....

Whenever I try to imagine this awesome-sounding project, it just seems like Wicked, except in the Sleeping Beauty universe. I'm sure it would be different.... But I just hope that Tim can capture Maleficent's youth and motivations as well as Gregory MacGuire captured Elphaba's.
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
Escapay

Re: Tim Burton's Maleficent

Post by Escapay »

Disney Duster wrote:I could see Michelle Pfeifer except she's not tall
I'm sure they can hide 5-inch heels and hide them in her dress to make her 6 feet tall.
Disney Duster wrote:Now all we need to see this is Disney Villain!
That may take awhile as he started his WDW College Program this week and so he'll likely be very busy working and playing in the parks.
Siren wrote:Not sure of her height, but Marina Sirtis's voice is certainly spot on for Maleficent. She can sound so beautiful and evil at the same time. She's played evil before ;)

:D

I loved her on "Star Trek: The Next Generation". There's an episode where she's possessed by an alien being and gets to be this bitchy evil person.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
rj.disney
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rj.disney »

Margos wrote:I, for one, think that Maleficent should not be evil to begin with.... I always thought that maybe she was just a normal fairy like the other three, but for some reason, went over to the dark side. Maybe she was sedcued by power....
Hmmm.. this spin-off could be made into three movies or 'episodes'. Maleficent was just an innocent, sweet, little girl and was on her way to start her training in the fairy arts (if there is such thing). But somehow, the audience will be disappointed of the portrayal of the villain that they loved as young Maleficent would go "Yipeee!" when she finds out she's about to start her training. And there would internet rants where people would declare that Tim Burton "raped" their childhoods.

Oh, and who would do the seducing? Palpatine? :lol:

Just kidding Margos. :)

Seriously, I think it would be okay to follow the pattern that Lion King 1 1/2 had as it would explain where Maleficent's evil is coming from. Of course, I could do well without finding out that the people inside castle fell asleep because Merryweather farted

I am kinda excited about this project although I fear that comparisons with Wicked would arise. And I would be more surprised if Johnny Depp is not in the movie than if he is. :P
"Hey Disney, we still exist!"
-Herc and Quasi
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

I remembered another actress who would completely master this part today! Joanna Lumley (aka Aunt Spiker from James and the Giant Peach) would be wonderful! She looks like Maleficent!
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

lord-of-sith wrote:I remembered another actress who would completely master this part today! Joanna Lumley (aka Aunt Spiker from James and the Giant Peach) would be wonderful! She looks like Maleficent!
Every time I hear the name Joanna Lumley, I immediately think of Sapphire from "Sapphire and Steel" or Patsy Stone from "Absolutely Fabulous". :lol:

ImageImage

Anyways, to add to the wishful-thinking list of actors to play Maleficent, I'm gonna say Sigourney Weaver. In addition to being a great actor with a variety of roles already under her belt, she's certainly tall enough for the role!

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?