Maleficent (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Plus, if you've seen Super 8, Fanning looks and sounds a lot older than her age.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Prince Edward wrote:True, but it is not fitting for a movie made in modern times in my opinion. I believe it will look strange. And even Walt Disney's masterpiece stated she was 16. Aurora should be a beautiful, adult princess. Late in her teens or in her (early) 20s in my opinion, not a child.
I somewhat agree, except that like others said, this adaptation may not show her at 16, and she can seem older. And did you also know Snow White was 14 when she married her prince in Disney's version, and in the original Sleeping Beauty tale the princess pricked her finger and married the prince at either 15 or 16 (with 100 years of age-defying sleep)?

I think that this adaptation will show her at (what is supposed to be) 16 though, because I think this film will cover all of Maleficent's life, not just a prequel and midquel. A film with the title Maleficent feel's like it would show the entire life of it's title character. I certainly hope that is the case!
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Disney Duster wrote:
Prince Edward wrote:True, but it is not fitting for a movie made in modern times in my opinion. I believe it will look strange. And even Walt Disney's masterpiece stated she was 16. Aurora should be a beautiful, adult princess. Late in her teens or in her (early) 20s in my opinion, not a child.
I somewhat agree, except that like others said, this adaptation may not show her at 16, and she can seem older. And did you also know Snow White was 14 when she married her prince in Disney's version, and in the original Sleeping Beauty tale the princess pricked her finger and married the prince at either 15 or 16 (with 100 years of age-defying sleep)?

I think that this adaptation will show her at (what is supposed to be) 16 though, because I think this film will cover all of Maleficent's life, not just a prequel and midquel. A film with the title Maleficent feel's like it would show the entire life of it's title character. I certainly hope that is the case!
So do I! They should showcase her life before the christening of Aurora, her life as Aurora grows up, and the climax with the prickening of the spindle and the fight with prince Philip.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea, I would say all of that great stuff!
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Some News :D
But with "Maleficent," about the iconic villain in "Sleeping Beauty"— it follows the rules:

—Familiar character: check

—Star (Angelina Jolie): check

—Reasonable budget: check

The $170 million budget for "Maleficent" is sizable, to be sure, but less than many major releases.

Its director, Robert Stromberg, hasn't previously directed a feature film, but the other elements offset that gamble, according to Mr. Ross.

"I believe you can take risk—and you must," he said. "But you have to make it commensurate with the financial risks you are taking."
Link-http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 42150.html

I really hope the failings of John Carter doesn't cause any problems for Maleficent. :S

This will be a better movie by far.
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Angelina Jolie is getting set to take on the Disney villain Maleficent in a new live-action tale which begins production this June. The actress recently talked about taking on this classic character, and said she believed Sleeping Beauty's evil stepmother is actually a great person.

"It sounds really crazy to say that there will be something that's good for young girls in this, because it sounds like you're saying they should be a villain. [Maleficent] is actually a great person. But she's not perfect. She's far from perfect. In general, it's a very good message to say, 'Let's look at something from the other side.' But then also, what our challenge will be - and the script writer [Linda Woolverton] has already cracked it - is not to simplify it, not to just reverse the story but tell a bigger story that doesn't point the finger [at Princess Aurora] either. It doesn't flip it."

The actress also talked a bit about the look of her title character, revealing she has already been fitted for her horns.

"I'm having a lot of fun. I've already got my horns fitted. My kids are very happy. We're still figuring out the look. We're experimenting with different things. But the horns are the horns - you can't deny them. You have to have horns."
Jäger-Rose
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jäger-Rose »

Did I miss something?
Sleeping Beauty's evil stepmother
is actually a great person
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Jäger-Rose wrote:Did I miss something?
Maleficent is based on the same premise as Wicked. That the villain in the original story was just misunderstood. It makes sense.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Anjelina Jolie is not as big a Disney fan such as us to know that Maleficent is not her stepmother but just an evil fairy. A lot of people also think Maleficent is an evil Queen. Or she knows, but she's just slipping up. People slip up on technicalities like that all the time.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Disney Duster wrote:
Anjelina Jolie is not as big a Disney fan such as us to know that Maleficent is not her stepmother but just an evil fairy. A lot of people also think Maleficent is an evil Queen. Or she knows, but she's just slipping up. People slip up on technicalities like that all the time.
LOL< I completely missed his point :P they could have changed the story though
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Disney Duster wrote:
So, Malfiicient is NOT her stepmom in this, and Angeline thinks Malficient is her mom?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

disneyprincess11 wrote:So, Malfiicient is NOT her stepmom in this, and Angeline thinks Malficient is her mom?
I do not see HOW they could have made her her stepmother. I think it's very, very, very unlikely they did. I certainly HOPE not. It's more likely Anjelina's just mistaken.
Jäger-Rose
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jäger-Rose »

Whatever it is: It's a bad sign in any case.
1) Script was rewritten: :x
2) She doesn't know her character: :x
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Angelina Jolie on 'Maleficent'
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/03/26/a ... eficent/4/

Angelina Jolie Talks MALEFICENT; Says the Character Will Keep the Horns
http://collider.com/angelina-jolie-talk ... nt/154960/

Angelina Jolie Talks Maleficent
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=88397
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Disney Duster wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:So, Malfiicient is NOT her stepmom in this, and Angeline thinks Malficient is her mom?
I do not see HOW they could have made her her stepmother. I think it's very, very, very unlikely they did. I certainly HOPE not. It's more likely Anjelina's just mistaken.
She actually didn't say Maleficent was an evil stepmother. The interviewer stated it. I'm very happy she's getting her horns fitted :lol:
And they aren't changing the script! The are telling it from Maleficent's perspective. People should really read this thread :lol:
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:
Disney Duster wrote: I do not see HOW they could have made her her stepmother. I think it's very, very, very unlikely they did. I certainly HOPE not. It's more likely Anjelina's just mistaken.
She actually didn't say Maleficent was an evil stepmother. The interviewer stated it. I'm very happy she's getting her horns fitted :lol:
And they aren't changing the script! The are telling it from Maleficent's perspective. People should really read this thread :lol:
Okay, good! Because unless she killed Aurora's parents or something, that WOULD be SOOOO stupid!
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Angelina referring to Maleficent as a "great person" isn't something I would worry about. It's a pretty typical acting technique that, when playing a villain, you can't see them as a terrible person. People don't see themselves as evil people, so it wouldn't make much sense to approach a character that way.

Now, granted, Maleficent does refer to herself as being evil various times in the original film, though I would imagine this movie is taking a grittier and more naturalistic approach to the character. Regardless, I wouldn't put too much stock into Angelina viewing the character as a good person.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yay! Your're back! Well for now...!

Is this movie a fan's wet dream come true or what?! :D
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Disney Duster wrote:Yay! Your're back! Well for now...!

Is this movie a fan's wet dream come true or what?! :D
You're telling me! It's hard for me to believe that it's actually being made! This project has me more excited than practically anything else that Disney has ever developed! And that's saying a lot!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Wow, lord-of-sith! Haven't seen you in a couple of millenia!

So, who are the two hot boys making out in your avatar? :D