The Secret World of Arrietty (Studio Ghibli)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

If you can tolerate Japanese pricing then Arrietty is getting a re-release in Japan on June 20th with both English dubs plus the original Japanese.
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Post by Little Red Henski »

Good find! But it is very expensive even by Japanese standards. Since the new special Japanese re-release DVD is called Arrietty " North American Edition" does that mean that Disney will also release both English dubs in the States.

Also you forgot to mention this :D
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

I'm looking forward to that one. Hope that Studio Canal gives it a theatrical release this summer.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

the dub was solid. my only real cincern was the age of actor playing sean vs the japanese actor.

is the original younger?
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Still no release date but the placeholder page now allows you to pre-order on Amazon.com.

I'm definitely getting this title on day one, and will probably pre-order on Amazon, but I am going to wait a little while to see if they offer a coupon.
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
MouseHouse55
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MouseHouse55 »

MJW wrote:I'm definitely getting this title on day one, and will probably pre-order on Amazon, but I am going to wait a little while to see if they offer a coupon.
I haven't heard of any coupons for this yet (beyond the buy 2 save $8 deal). Anyone know of one?
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

No coupon news, but Target and Best Buy will have all three of these titles for $22.99 each next week. Target is also offering a buy 2, get $8 off deal.

I had all three pre-ordered on Amazon but cancelled my order as I would rather have these on release day, since it takes almost a week to get them after release day with Amazon's free shipping.
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

^ Oh, good, the price dropped! Hopefully Amazon will lower their prices sometime this weekend. I have no idea why they're $30 each, but I definitely hope/think they will lower the price.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^$30 is standard pricing.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

ajmrowland wrote:^$30 is standard pricing.
Well, I've never paid $30 for any single-movie Blu-ray, so it's kind of unacceptable to me that they remain $30 a piece. I guess I really shouldn't complain, though, because right now I have the $8 Amazon coupon and gift cards totaling $25, so my Arrietty and Whisper Blu-rays come to a grand tota, for both,l of $24.95 right now.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

The prices for all three have dropped to $22.99 each on Amazon to match what Target and Best Buy will have them for in-store on Tuesday.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

MJW wrote:
The prices for all three have dropped to $22.99 each on Amazon to match what Target and Best Buy will have them for in-store on Tuesday.
look at the post above mine. I was replying to that, and already knew what the price dropped to for those stores.

They have deals, but those arent standard pricing.

BDs are still $30 for a single new print movie. At least that was the case when BDs were new.
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

Just got my Arrietty along with Castles, Whisper & Nausicca from the DMC (with a free VIP Pin). Got all 4 blu rays + pin for $74.96. $29.99 for the first & $14.99 each for the other 3 with free shipping. I was hoping to get them by street date & beat it by 1 day. All with slips (wasn't sure about Nausicca since it's not a new release). Less than $18 dollars apiece + no tax, shipping or gas to get them. Pretty good deal. :D
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

buffalobill wrote:Just got my Arrietty along with Castles, Whisper & Nausicca from the DMC (with a free VIP Pin). Got all 4 blu rays + pin for $74.96. $29.99 for the first & $14.99 each for the other 3 with free shipping. I was hoping to get them by street date & beat it by 1 day. All with slips (wasn't sure about Nausicca since it's not a new release). Less than $18 dollars apiece + no tax, shipping or gas to get them. Pretty good deal. :D
That's great! I am going to Target first thing tomorrow morning before work to get all there. I can't believe release day is finally almost here. I was waiting for Castle in the Sky to be announced by Disney for over a year!
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

I was successful in getting each of the three titles this morning at Target and I am really looking forward to watching Castle in the Sky tonight. :) I've seen all three previously, but I'm going to watch them in the order that they came out over the next few days.

My Target only had 6 copies of Arrietty and 4 copies each of Castle in the Sky and Whisper of the Heart. So, if you were planning on going out to get these today but can't make it until later, it might be worthwhile to call ahead and have them hold copies for you! I did this last year with Nausicaä and got the last copy.
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

MJW wrote:I was successful in getting each of the three titles this morning at Target and I am really looking forward to watching Castle in the Sky tonight. :) I've seen all three previously, but I'm going to watch them in the order that they came out over the next few days.

My Target only had 6 copies of Arrietty and 4 copies each of Castle in the Sky and Whisper of the Heart. So, if you were planning on going out to get these today but can't make it until later, it might be worthwhile to call ahead and have them hold copies for you! I did this last year with Nausicaä and got the last copy.
Excellent, I'm going to go out after lunch. Any trouble with the $8 off from Target?
"Good and bad are labels created by people. Nature doesn't have such concepts."
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Arrietty and Whisper are coming in the mail sometime today, and I'm super excited to watch them. I've seen Arrietty in Japanese and I'm looking forward to hearing the American dub (though I would've preferred the UK English dub since The Borrowers is a UK/English novel). And I've only seen Whisper once (and I don't have the DVD, which is why I'm not getting Castle quite yet), so it'll be nice to revisit it. Amazon's using some delivery service called Prestige--which I've never heard of--so I'm hoping it does arrive today. I got both of them for $12.98, so I'm certainly a happy camper (and glad Amazon reduced the price).
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Heartless wrote:Any trouble with the $8 off from Target?
Nope, no problem at all. However, it was reported on a few sites that there was a coupon sticker on the films, but that is not the case. The $8 discount comes off at the register automatically after the 2nd title is scanned. There were no coupon stickers on any of them.
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

MJW wrote:Nope, no problem at all. However, it was reported on a few sites that there was a coupon sticker on the films, but that is not the case. The $8 discount comes off at the register automatically after the 2nd title is scanned. There were no coupon stickers on any of them.
Thanks, had read about the coupon sticker but glad to pick up all three without problems at checkout today.

By the way, until May 28th, you can get double DMR points for each of these titles. Thats a cool 750 points.
"Good and bad are labels created by people. Nature doesn't have such concepts."
ToyStoryFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ToyStoryFan »

Can't wait to grab these tomorrow!! I'm getting Arrietty and Whisper for sure.

I'm torn on Castle. I do want to support the fact that we are getting Ghibli on Blu, but I have the 2010 DVD release ... I most likely would have waited on it had I known just two years later it would be out on Blu! Not sure what to do! I've seen the film about 3 times in the last two years, so I don't know if I'll revisit it that often to justify the price ... I paid $20 for the DVD, the Blu will be $23 .. so $43 in total I will have spent for this film (sure, I guess I could sell the 2010 DVD, but I think I would be lucky to get even $10 for it)... Throw in the fact that the $8 deal only will apply to 2 films.... eh, I'll decide at the store tomorrow LOL