The Secret World of Arrietty (Studio Ghibli)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

The Secret World of Arrietty (Studio Ghibli)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Studio Ghibli’s Next Film Announced
http://animatedviews.com/2009/studio-gh ... announced/
Last edited by blackcauldron85 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just.A.Friend
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Just.A.Friend »

That's kinda shocking that Miyazaki will not be directing.
Nandor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Nandor »

Erm... why?
Good to know a little tiny bit about the next Ghibli. Guess it's time to read the book ^^
Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi hapana.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

It's not shocking Miyazaki is not directing. He isn't the only director at Ghibli. But, I am guilty for wanting these once in a while Ghibli releases to all be by Miyazaki, just because they don't come every year like Pixar films do.

Anyhow, a Ghibli film announcement is so exciting!
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

As much as I love Miyazaki, almost any out-put from Studio Ghibli is amazing! "The Cat Returns" is a fine example that there's talent at Ghibli other than Miyazaki-san!

This sounds awesome! I can't wait to see it here in 2011!
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

Thanks for linking to my article, blackcauldron85!
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I know that it is just my age, but I cannot sit through any "Giblet" movie from beginning to end. The animation is hurky jerky, and the characters all look the same. The only Japanime' film that I truly enjoyed and watch all the time is "Spirited Away". That is one wonderful movie and I can overlook some of the shortcomings of the animation and characters because of the very strong story.

Sorry I don't think I am interest in this new "Giblet" movie.

:cry:
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

dvdjunkie wrote:I know that it is just my age, but I cannot sit through any "Giblet" movie from beginning to end.
I think it has to do more culture wise. Ghibli films are so different that it might be too bizarre for people in america. I don't think it has to do with your age because Miyazaki is a senior as well. :)
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

The last few non-Hayao Miyazaki films have been pretty bad. I used to think Ghibli couldn't make a bad film but then I saw Pom-Poko, which was weird I admit (racoon-dogs flying with their ball sacks) but I got over that fast and tried to enjoy the humor. It was the story I just couldn't get into, which concentrated way to much on Japanese folk lore and environmentalism and not enough on an interesting plot. I just couldn't get into it.

Then the worst of them all came, My Neighbor's the Yamada's, which absolutely bored me to tears. Its like spending the day in the life of the most uninteresting family and telling the most uninteresting story ever. I consider parts of my life boring but this family makes those time look like an action packed adventure. I don't know what motivated anyone to want to tell this story (or lack of story).

Lastly we have Gorō Miyazaki's work (Hayao's son), Tales From Earthsea. I cannot express my disappointment with this movie. It starts off strong, introducing all kinds of interesting plot points that after the first half-hour are completely forgotten in-favor of a less interesting side-plot that it ends on. The whole side plot just feels cheap, the animation is great, but the backgrounds are empty/bland. A whole castle only has three guards and the castle is one of the most generic, empty designs I've ever seen. You leave the movie thinking the last half of the film that continues the plot from the opening scene were missing but they were just never made. Its no wonder this was voted the worst movie of the year in Japan (shame goes a long way in Japan). Its a shame because the score, while not done by Joe Hisaishi, is really good.

I've already set my expectations for The Borrower Arrietty very low but atleast the other two directors aren't involved (no offense to Isao Takahata, whose Grave of the Fireflies and Only Yesterday are great, but old age hasn't been as kind to him as Miyazaki).
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Well, I can't speak for Pom Poko or Earthsea - but I will say I wholly disagree with Yamadas. I think the film is a spot-on, poignant look at the lives of families today in terms of how life is juggled with work and technology interrupts tradition, I think it's a hilarious film that really captures the modern state of families better than any lame sitcom on FOX or ABC.

I think the majority of people hate Earthsea.

However, I believe those who have seen "Pom Poko" would disagree with you - it has always been considered a good movie by those I've talked to.

Also, I noticed you didn't mention "Whisper of the Heart" or "The Cat Returns" - both non-Miyazaki films.

Miyazaki to Ghibli is, in a way, are Musker and Clements to Disney - sort of the "staple" director, but there are other good directors and movies from both studios.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Neal wrote:Also, I noticed you didn't mention "Whisper of the Heart" or "The Cat Returns" - both non-Miyazaki films.
I was only mentioning the non-Miyazaki films I didn't enjoy. The Cat Returns was good and Whisper of the Heart was excellent, completely took me by surprise. Supposedly Whisper of the Heart's director was Miyazaki's understudy who was going to take his place as Ghibli's top director but he died shortly after finishing the film.

Anyway, I was just stating my opinion on those films and what the majority of the people think doesn't affect how I feel about those films.
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Post by Little Red Henski »

I thought Isao Takahata's Bamboo Princess was going to be the new Ghibli movie. I know Isao Takahata movies are not as gaijin friendly as Miyazaki's, but I prefer to them Miyazaki's. I'm not going to bother defending Earthsea.

Whisper of the Heart is kind of a Miyazaki film. Miyazaki did the story boads and wrote the script.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Takahata's film is still coming, apparently not on schedule.
blackcauldron85

First Look at KARIGURASHI NO ARRIETTY, Studio Ghibli’s New Film
http://www.collider.com/2010/02/08/firs ... -new-film/
(via animatedviews.com)
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Earthsea is my guilty pleasure. Seen it in cinemas and it's one of my favourite Ghibli's. Looking forward to this one, hopefully it will see a release over here sooner rather than later. Arguably one of the best Ghibli films is a non-Miyazaki, Grave of the Fireflies...
KennethE
Gold Classic Collection

Post by KennethE »

I am looking forward to this adaption of the Borrowers. I loved the books, and I always thought it would make a wonderful animated film.

I remember fondly a BBC version of The Borrowers made in 1993 starring Ian Holm as the father. It was a mini-series and was enjoyable. That is one I'm hoping will be on DVD soon though, as far as I know, it isn't available yet.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Woah! That's interesting... Can't wait to see their take on the story.

Although, I've always preferred "The Littles" over "The Borrowers".
JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JustOneBite87 »

dvdjunkie wrote:I know that it is just my age, but I cannot sit through any "Giblet" movie from beginning to end. The animation is hurky jerky, and the characters all look the same. The only Japanime' film that I truly enjoyed and watch all the time is "Spirited Away". That is one wonderful movie and I can overlook some of the shortcomings of the animation and characters because of the very strong story.

Sorry I don't think I am interest in this new "Giblet" movie.

:cry:
Anime is beautiful. Is it different in look and style from Disney animation? Yes. But that doesn't make those aspects "shortcomings".
blackcauldron85

Sneak peak of Ghibli’s The Borrower Arrietty
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/anime/ghibli ... ietty.html
blackcauldron85