Disney's "The Snow Queen" in 2013?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

On the other hand maybe Disney's version will make it stand out from other adaptions which have been told over and over again.It never hurts once in a while to go total all in name adaption.Provided that you can pull it off and make the characters relatable and the plot good. :wink:

This is a feeling why they probably named it "Frozen" because they now saw that they were doing an all different story from the Snow Queen and saw fit to change the title.

On the other hand I want to know more about his main character named Anna because I believe she seems interesting.
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Yeah, but the original Snow Queen sounds like an awfully good story to waste on just doing an "inspired by" thing like how "The Frog Princess" was transformed into Princess and the Frog or how On Stranger Tides was turned into a Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

It just seems weird to me that of the two Snow Queen movies coming out now that the story of the Disney one reads like a direct to video knockoff compared to the Russian project. Of course, could be wrong and more of the original story could have been incorporated considering how little we know.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

FigmentJedi wrote:Yeah, but the original Snow Queen sounds like an awfully good story to waste on just doing an "inspired by" thing like how "The Frog Princess" was transformed into Princess and the Frog or how On Stranger Tides was turned into a Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

It just seems weird to me that of the two Snow Queen movies coming out now that the story of the Disney one reads like a direct to video knockoff compared to the Russian project. Of course, could be wrong and more of the original story could have been incorporated considering how little we know.
They may have revamped the characters of Kai and Gerda into Anna and that Karloff guy.But they may have still have some of the story elements still in there.I also want to know about this new curse and the fact that I have heard that the Snow Queen might have an evil sister.If that is the case it makes the movie much more interesting.I think one element that they may be keeping is the frozen heart which will now belong to the Snow Queen.It would actually explain a lot of things about the Snow Queen and why she became the way that she is because in my opinion in the orginal tale there wasn't any backstory about her.

I think in this story Anna will be saving the Snow Queen from her curse.Which means that the Snow Queen takes the place of Kai.

If they are turning the Snow Queen good then I wonder if she will become apart of the Disney Princess line. :wink:
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

I don't have a problem with Robert Lopez and his wife doing the songs for Frozen. Why I think they did a good job writings songs for Finding Nemo: The Musical and Winnie the Pooh. Besides Alan Menken is too busy doing other things. And I think Alan Menken winning 8 Oscars, 11 Grammys, and 1 Tony Award is a mission accomplished. So, I think it's time to let Disney move on with new favorite song writers.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

I think Disney this decade is finding itself again and trying stuff that is new from their Disney Renessaince in the 90's.Sure,it might be looking to be CGI animated movies but look at the bright side it shows that they are really making an effort to make their CGI movies as great as their 2D animated movies.This might be a Disney Renessaince for Disney CGI animation.

Heck,I see more female leads if Frozen does well and gets good promotion.In name only adaptions can be good too because The Fox and the Hound was way different from the novel and look how good it is as a film. :)

Okay,The Fox and the Hound isn't a masterpiece but it is a great movie that many people remember to this day.
FlyingPiggy
Limited Issue

Post by FlyingPiggy »

Can't lie, I'm super unahppy with the changes. It sounds like they're turning a beautiful fairy tale into a pedestrian story. I understand changing things a bit, especially when the original story has stuff Disney could never get away with, but The Snow Queen doesn't have anything like that.

And Alan Menken is as talented as ever, he just needs a better lyricist. Glenn Slater just list stuff. I do love Robert Lopez's adult work, but I wasn't impressed with anything in Winne The Pooh.

Crap, I just hate most of this :lol:
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I've never read the original story, but I do believe that changes are necessary whenever adapting literature to film. That being said, the plot description seems pretty bland and almost seems like a rehash of Tangled (which, unlike many on here, I found to be kind of boring). I'm a fan of both Idina Menzel and Kristin Bell (loved her Elle character on Heroes), so that does pique my interest somewhat. I don't mind the changes to the story, but what's been said about the plot doesn't seem all that appealing.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm not so bothered by anything except the story changes to Kai's character and, of course, the title. I get the name changes and some of the story changes, but having Anna and Kristoff not be childhood friends seems like a major departure (and not for the good--a mountain climber? :lol: ). I'm sure the new composers will do very well, but I do think the Menken debacle is pretty insulting.

Idina Menzel is definitely the most exciting thing about this project so far. If she weren't involved, I'd probably have lost interest. Both this and WIR look to be disappointments (for me), but who knows how they'll turn out.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm sure the new composers will do very well, but I do think the Menken debacle is pretty insulting.
Thank you! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

I'm a little worried now. Does this not sound exactly like NARNIA? Getting rid of the original story elements only makes it more generic in my opinion. I can understand changing some things. Disney wants to avoid the religious figures and symbolism, but still.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Sotiris wrote:They are not appreciating him enough. That's why he's collaborating with DreamWorks Animation now.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

In the press release, it said that Kristen and Robert Lopez would be writing the songs but it didn't mention who will be composing the score. Will it be Robert Lopez or Henry Jackman who did the score for Winnie the Pooh (and the upcoming Wreck-It Ralph) or someone else altogether?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Can someone get me up to speed please? :?
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

You guys are a bunch of cry babies! rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

DisneyJedi wrote:Can someone get me up to speed please? :?
Got some plot details and casting and music details. It's sounding like they aren't putting much effort into telling the original story.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

FigmentJedi wrote:
DisneyJedi wrote:Can someone get me up to speed please? :?
Got some plot details and casting and music details. It's sounding like they aren't putting much effort into telling the original story.
Oh come on people, Disney does that all the time. So what if the storyline is different. They do that. And I like it so far. No offense, guys, but all of you are judge mental.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

Not too happy with the plot changes myself but it is unfair to judge a movie by its plot details. Whats most important is the execution.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

I agree it sounds more like Narnia than The Snow Queen. I think unlike the Tangled title situation, i am kind of happy about the name change if it's going to bare little resemblance to the fairy tale that has now merely inspired it.

Having said that, it could be a very good movie, and I'm crossing my fingers it is at least as good as Tangled.
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

TsWade2 wrote:
FigmentJedi wrote: Got some plot details and casting and music details. It's sounding like they aren't putting much effort into telling the original story.
Oh come on people, Disney does that all the time. So what if the storyline is different. They do that. And I like it so far. No offense, guys, but all of you are judge mental.
Yeah, but even when they tweak the hell out of a story, it still has some resemblance to that source material and keeps the actual characters instead of making up some completely different thing. It sounds like the one main thing they kept from the source material was the Snow Queen herself.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

FigmentJedi wrote:
TsWade2 wrote:Oh come on people, Disney does that all the time. So what if the storyline is different. They do that. And I like it so far. No offense, guys, but all of you are judge mental.
Yeah, but even when they tweak the hell out of a story, it still has some resemblance to that source material and keeps the actual characters instead of making up some completely different thing. It sounds like the one main thing they kept from the source material was the Snow Queen herself.
Calm down. We only have raw plot details so far and I am sure they will incorporate elements from the source material into the story.