Disney's "The Snow Queen" in 2013?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I didn't know Ramayana was back in production. Back in 6th grade, I had to do a Power Point presentation retelling of the story and the teacher assigned me and two other people to make one in my class. Mine was the last to be shown, and the longest one- running at 22 minutes! But I also had the most complete one.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

robster16 wrote:Image
Looks a little like the White Witch from Narnia.
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

Huh, Ramayana sounds interesting.... but what is the actual plot? How do you think they'll do that?
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
Babaloo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Babaloo »

I guess Ramayana does sound interesting (I would have much rather preferred Aida), but I can already see people creating a lot of debate. This is a classic Hindu story, and I'm pretty sure Disney wouldn't do story word for word. For that reason I already see a lot of people getting mad at that...

Actually after hearing that Lasseter wrote an intro in the PatF book, I went an amazon and bought it! I'm such a sucker for news of potential future features...
IagoZazu
Gold Classic Collection

Post by IagoZazu »

So it's an ancient Hindu epic, that sounds intresting. It would definitely be a very unique story for Disney to work on. My only problem is how the plot is told throughout the epic. It sounds like a holy book of morals than a huge story. I'm probably wrong, but it seems so new and different to me. I've heard of the Mahabharata, but not this one.
Say no to moldy, disgusting crackers!
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

It's hard for me to see why after the hell everyone has given Disney or making The Princess and The Frog they would go on to make yet another film about a different ethnic group with Ramayana. I'm not saying they should worry about skeptics, I'm just saying I would have waited a bit. Listen to me, I'm already worried about Disney pushing people's buttons; that's what living in a "wannabe politically correct" society will do to you. Not only that, the whole "ideal wife" concept raises a huge flag. Sounds interesting, though. I just don't think I can go through another "Disney being racist" dilemma.

I guess I need to stay off the internet to avoid these things from now.
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Babaloo wrote:I guess Ramayana does sound interesting (I would have much rather preferred Aida), but I can already see people creating a lot of debate. This is a classic Hindu story, and I'm pretty sure Disney wouldn't do story word for word. For that reason I already see a lot of people getting mad at that...

Actually after hearing that Lasseter wrote an intro in the PatF book, I went an amazon and bought it! I'm such a sucker for news of potential future features...
Tackeling Aida storywise would be REALLY tricky! I mean, I don't wanna give away the plot too much, but there's a lot of death involved in that movie. A LOT! Might not go over well with their target audience...

Ramayana is tricky enough already, with the entire concept of hinduism, being incorporated into a very non-hindu company. I'd love to see them pick up production on Don Quixote or Moby Dick and bring back the Brizzi Brothers. I mean, just look at their work on The Firebird Suite, those guys are just oozing cinematic talent!!!
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

robster16 wrote:I hope they axe the polar bear and penguin from the 2002 version and go with something a little less stereotypical (besides the fact that penguins in the southern hemisphere and polar bears on the northern hemisphere, so they'd never actually meet).

I'm hoping they will go with something like a polar fox or something, I could see that leading to pretty animation and visuals.

Seeing that they've already used a penguin sidekick in The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea, maybe they'll scratch those characters. I'm hoping maybe they'll use Bae the reindeer and the ravens from the original story and develop them into bigger characters like they did with the mice in Cinderella.
IagoZazu
Gold Classic Collection

Post by IagoZazu »

robster16 wrote: I'd love to see them pick up production on Don Quixote or Moby Dick and bring back the Brizzi Brothers. I mean, just look at their work on The Firebird Suite, those guys are just oozing cinematic talent!!!
I agree. Don Quixote would have been a great Disney movie. Seeing all the films based on English and French fairytales and stories, it would have been nice to have Spain get in the Disney formula. Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros were the only animated Latin American/Spanish movies Disney made.
Say no to moldy, disgusting crackers!
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

IagoZazu wrote:
robster16 wrote: I'd love to see them pick up production on Don Quixote or Moby Dick and bring back the Brizzi Brothers. I mean, just look at their work on The Firebird Suite, those guys are just oozing cinematic talent!!!
I agree. Don Quixote would have been a great Disney movie. Seeing all the films based on English and French fairytales and stories, it would have been nice to have Spain get in the Disney formula. Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros were the only animated Latin American/Spanish movies Disney made.
Don't forget "The Emporer's New Groove" :)
Babaloo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Babaloo »

Oh I would love them to do Don Quixote, but I was just saying if they wanted to do something ethnically different, I would have rather them do Aida. Don Quixote is ethnically different, but it still is European (same with Antonius and I would've really like them to do that).
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I hope they do something different than that heavy-looking fur coat design. I mean, it's nice in concept, but for some reason I don't think the character would move good on-screen in that. And, yes, I know Cruella moved around well enough, but 1. Her fur wasn't nearly so huge and 2. the Snow Queen doesn't seem like the over-dramatic Cruella type.
Well the thing is, I picture the snow Queen as a high majestic person with slow but graceful elegance [think Malificant] The heavy coat help emphasize the drape of the coat that trails with her movement in that manner as well as give her a presence of great power.

In the Heian period of Japan, women in high court has really large clothing that drags but they moved in slow but graceful movement. I see similar thing with the Snow Queen.

IagoZazu wrote: I probably like the first one more because it's not huge and bulky like the second design. Plus, the Russian hat looks more stylish than the chef-looking hat. :P
Yea I agree the hat in the second one is bit eh, but I like the coat design for that one. I pic both of them cause both are similar and both give same type of image i have for Snow Queen.
IagoZazu wrote:And what is the "Ramayana" talk about? Isn't it about a rumor somewhere about Disney floating around the idea of making a 2D animated movie based on an epic Buddhist myth of the same name?
It's actually Sanskrit epic. Not Buddhism. It's really awesome as it has stuff that makes a classic disney movie:
Demon bad guy
gorgeous princess
Heroic prince,
epic tale.

I see no controversy over this story. It's not a scared religious story, just a really well known one kinda like Arabian Nights.

As for other ethnic stories to do, why not ones from Japan? I'm surprise they haven't tackle one from Japan like Tales of Genji or something

Don Quioxite, moby dick(though hearing Moby sing would be funny) would be neat too.

Too bad Richie rich wasn't able to give out Swan Lake/Princess idea to disney. Although it got made, the story could been much better had it been under Disney. I like Rich's Odette design and {though not big on princess line] would find her nice edition to the Princess line.

Sinbad would also be good had it not been scrapped. but Jeff took that one with him for DreamWork. It wasn't bad imo. It would of make interesting with songs as I find it the type of movie to work well with it.
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

You guys are right, Don Quixote would make an excellent Disney movie....

SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Super Aurora wrote:I see no controversy over this story.
Clearly, you underestimate the ability of the American people to create controversy.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

Americans are notorious for being able to make a mountain out of a molehill.... *sigh* Why couldn't I have been born British?

Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

SpringHeelJack wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:I see no controversy over this story.
Clearly, you underestimate the ability of the American people to create controversy.
Who said it's America? I was referring to India as that's the origin of the story begin with.
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

Doesn't matter, America LOVES coplaining
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

But we're talking an American studio.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Super Aurora wrote:
SpringHeelJack wrote: Clearly, you underestimate the ability of the American people to create controversy.
Who said it's America? I was referring to India as that's the origin of the story begin with.
I wouldn't speak for India, either.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Oh, so there's news of another previously cancelled project apart from the Snow Queen being revived? :roll:

And people wanting Don Quixote, they've tried that too.

Here's a question for you all. If said stories couldn't be made into "Disney films" in the past, what makes you think they'll be ideal "Disney films" now?

Don't you think Disney would be better off selecting new stories to film, rather than go back to stories they couldn't make work before? Sometimes after years of development? After all, you can't mould a round peg to fit a square hole.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database