Disenchanted

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Re: Enchanted 2 Discussion

Post by estefan »

Rumblings about this movie pop up every so often that I won't believe it's actually a thing until they start filming. Although if an Enchanted sequel does become a thing, you can bet Idina Menzel will get a much bigger role with Frozen in-jokes galore.
Disney's Divinity wrote:
Prince Edward wrote: Hope that Amy Adams and James Marsden will come back, and that Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz will make the soundtrack.
I didn't even think about that... I hope they do, too. But I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. Were the 2D parts of the film created in-studio or were they outsourced? I'm not sure they have enough people to do anything in-studio now. Unless they make the animated half 3D... (if there is an animated half?)
James Baxter Animation was responsible for the animated sequences.

As for Menken and Schwartz, I'm actually a bit more confident of the producers asking them back. One, for consistency's sake. And two, because Lasseter isn't involved with the Enchanted movies. :wink:
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I really hope if they do make the sequel they continue with the hand drawn segments. And please make them hand drawn like the original, no CGI! Duncan Studio would be the perfect studio to make those segments.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I didn't even think about that... I hope they do, too. But I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. Were the 2D parts of the film created in-studio or were they outsourced? I'm not sure they have enough people to do anything in-studio now. Unless they make the animated half 3D... (if there is an animated half?)

Tbh, I don't care. Adams, Spall, and Marsden were great, and I loved "That's How You Know," but I was always meh on Enchanted. Hopefully Susan Sarandon won't be back at least; she was surprisingly awful, since I generally like her. I'd love if Idina Menzel actually gets to sing this time around; part of the reason I think they'll dump Menken for the Lopezes here... I'm guessing Kristen Bell, Mandy Moore (ugh), and Anika Noni Rose will make cameos. Is Dempsey's character still a divorce lawyer for Benson to appear again?
What attracted me to "Enchanted" were the animated segments, that it was going to have hand drawn animation. Either way, "Enchanted" was a mixed bag. It's cute and decent, but nothing that outstanding. I loved the animated segments (which were the best thing about the movie, anyway) and "That's How You Know". The script was mostly clever and had some clever fantasy vs. reality comments and points. Two of the most poignant scenes (Robert telling about his former wife and the witch luring Giselle to bite the apple) were skillfully executed. However, I felt "Enchanted" as a whole was too fluffy to me. Mostly because of Menken's fluffy score (it may sound as a vague reason, but that's how I felt). Pip as hand drawn was amusing, but became quite grating in the real world. Narissa was a fine villain, though, although she became grating as a dragon.

However, the biggest weakness were the sparse development between the couples. There were little chemistry between Giselle and Robert. But the worst is that they just fell in love without explanation! They spent the whole movie disagreeing with each other and just suddenly fell in love! And what about the sparse development between Edward and Nancy (though they had better chemistry)? The love triangles were highly contrived. If Nancy wanted a romantic man who liked fairy tales and Robert was converted to like fairy tales components anyway, why giving her another man? It's understandable the arc Robert needs to go through due to Giselle. But while Giselle goes through a more subtle arc, it's never elaborated why she needs the real world.

Amy Adams gave a good performance, as did James Mardsen. Patrick Dempsey is a hottie, but he was wasted on this movie. Nathaniel was a well developed character and had a compelling arc.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Robert fell in love with Giselle much like the audience fell for her. He started to love how kind she was and how she behaved and sang and was cute and had good values and thoughts about life.

Giselle needed the real world to find her true love, who was Robert and not Edward. Also, she needed the real world as we, the audience, metaphorically need the real world.

Even though I will always think of the animated characters as merely being in the past, with the animation being like how Kansas had no color in The Wizard of Oz, and "the real world" is just the future.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Duster wrote:Giselle needed the real world to find her true love, who was Robert and not Edward. Also, she needed the real world as we, the audience, metaphorically need the real world.
That's a fair conclusion. Several fans and critics have given their own interpretations of the reason behind Giselle's arc. While they're mostly fair and logical, I felt the movie should've made more clear why Giselle needed the real world as well. Otherwise, her purpose could've been being the nanny of Robert and Morgan.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

For me the movie made it clear why she needed the real world, to be with her true love and to grow as a person.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I wish I had new news to share... sadly I dont. But, and I know I would ask about it in older Enchanted threads... I don't much understand product licensing. But in the daus of Vinyl Pops and bobbleheads and such collectibles...some products do look like the actors (have you seen the "Game of Thrones" action figures?!), and some don't (looking at you, Vinyl Pops). Animated Giselle doesn't look like Amy Adams too much, right? The Barbie-type dolls that came out in 2007 look like Amy and Patrick Dempsey, bit Animated Giselle merch...not as much. I just never understood the licensing issue for animated Giselle...
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Hopefully, this means work on the sequel is progressing.
Emmy-nominated writer David N. Weiss recently completed work on the sequel to the Amy Adams hit musical, “Enchanted,” for Disney.
Source: http://staugustine.com/living/religion/ ... -community
When E! News caught up with Adams at Max Mara's "Whitney" bag dinner in New York City Monday, the actress admitted she hopes to be involved in the long-rumored Enchanted sequel. "They've been talking about it for a while, so I really embrace and look forward to what they do and hope to be involved."
Source: http://www.eonline.com/news/760174/amy- ... -as-you-do
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

I just think that, whichever way this sequel goes, there's definitely going to be at least one Idina Menzel song to make up for last time (provided they get her back, but judging by that synopsis+Disney that's basically a given). I hope they get Stephen Schwartz back because he writes the best Idina Menzel songs.

Also, this could possibly be the only Disney movie in a decade (2011-2021) that will feature hand-drawn animation front-and-center. No pressure.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

This might be one of the movies I'm most excited for. I'm sure Amy Adams and James Marsden will come back because both of them have been the ones to show the most interest in returning.
Tangled wrote: Also, this could possibly be the only Disney movie in a decade (2011-2021) that will feature hand-drawn animation front-and-center. No pressure.
I didn't even think about the fact that this means we will see more hand-drawn animation. It will probably be a minuscule part like before, but I'll take a little over nothing.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Also, this could possibly be the only Disney movie in a decade (2011-2021) that will feature hand-drawn animation front-and-center. No pressure.
not even... they'll probably stealth switch to CGI and say "see, Andalasia looks so much better now!" :roll:

Im looking forward the most to seeing Menzel & Marsden return. I loved the heck outta Prince Edward.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm just hoping that if it's not Menken, that it's the Lopezes. I'm not really interested in Miranda taking over everything at Disney.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I’m glad it seems the film will be made after all. I think the animated sequences have to be in 2D if they want to have some consistency between the two movies. And I hope they don’t choose any composer other than Menken.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Really glad this will be made, if it gets done well. And it can only work if all the cast returns, which I'm sure they will as they have all expressed interest.

However, I am NOT here if Menken doesn't return. It would be yet another slap in the face from Disney, and would be completely disrespectful not to ask him back for the sequel. I know there were no songs involved, but I believe in Tangled Ever After, he is the only composer not to return to assist with scoring an animated short, based upon the original work. Part of the magic of the original film are his songs.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

D82 wrote:I’m glad it seems the film will be made after all. I think the animated sequences have to be in 2D if they want to have some consistency between the two movies. And I hope they don’t choose any composer other than Menken.
I doubt Disney cares about consistency regarding this film, since its probably only being revived to cash in on Menzel's Frozen connection & princess musical being popluar again. Its been a while since the first film, they are probably hoping people had forgotten that the Andalasia sequences were 2d and will switch to CGI.

and yes Menken needs to return as well, but like with the 2d animation in this film theyll probably switch to a more NU!DISNEY composer.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

unprincess wrote:
D82 wrote:I’m glad it seems the film will be made after all. I think the animated sequences have to be in 2D if they want to have some consistency between the two movies. And I hope they don’t choose any composer other than Menken.
I doubt Disney cares about consistency regarding this film, since its probably only being revived to cash in on Menzel's Frozen connection & princess musical being popluar again. Its been a while since the first film, they are probably hoping people had forgotten that the Andalasia sequences were 2d and will switch to CGI.

and yes Menken needs to return as well, but like with the 2d animation in this film theyll probably switch to a more NU!DISNEY composer.
Don't take all my hopes away! :( Just kidding. :wink:

I know it doesn't seem very likely they'd use 2D, when everything is in 3D now. But I'm pretty confident the animated segments will be in traditional animation for several reasons. Firstly, it's mostly a live action film. The animated segments are only a small part of the movie, so they don't need to be in CGI to attract more people, as it happens with fully animated movies. Secondly, the 2D world of Andalasia in the first film was meant to be a reference to all the classic Disney films, if they switch to CGI that reference would be lost. And thirdly, 2D offers a bigger contrast with the live action world than 3D does. Apart from that, I think Disney should care about consistency too. But, we'll see. Maybe you're right and they don't care about any of those things.

As for the music, after three songs from the original film were nominated for an Oscar, I think they should be grateful to Alan Menken and ask him to do the music for the sequel too. But given how they're treating him lately, I won't be surprised if, as you said, they hire a new composer instead.

Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if Alan Menken had won the Academy Award for Enchanted or Tangled. Would Disney had given him better projects if that had happened?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I feel confident they will use hand-dawn animation. Didn't Disney use it in the first film when CGI was all the rage and we thought they had long abandoned hand-drawn? Plus, it would look like reeeaally sloppy quality if they weren't consistent, and quality is synonymous with the Disney name (barring most of the sequels to their animated classics of course). They try to keep it that way as much as possible anyway.

As for Alan Menken, I see no reason they wouldn't use him if they're keeping him on the live-action The Little Mermaid, but I must say, songwriters being the same isn't always necessary for the film to still be good and feel like the original.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

So I typed up a long response, but it was too text-heavy, so I'll condense it here.

I remember in 2007 being so friggin' ecstatic for Enchanted. Selfish reason: it was one of the few tastes of hand drawn Disney was giving us at the time.

Nearly 10 years later it'd be so wonderful to have another taste of chance, you know? I really think audiences will dig it, too.

If they announce this sequel will have some hand drawn, I will legit cry in public.
JeanGreyForever wrote:
Tangled wrote: Also, this could possibly be the only Disney movie in a decade (2011-2021) that will feature hand-drawn animation front-and-center. No pressure.
I didn't even think about the fact that this means we will see more hand-drawn animation. It will probably be a minuscule part like before, but I'll take a little over nothing.
For some reason (selfish desires...), I want to imagine a flip-flop of the first movie: where the first is hand drawn goes to the real world, I'd love to see the sequel have a (sub?)plot where the real world goes to the fairytale land.

Always did wanna see Robert as a hand drawn prince-looking fellow. :wink:

Plus maybe the film could parody the newer Disney trends to contrast the first parodying older films.

For instance, maybe have a "twist" villain, but Robert keeps saying, "That dude is obviously up to no good?" Or maybe have Menzel's character sing a duet with her prince, but she clearly overpowers him which makes the song more of a solo?

I don't know. Disney, you figure it out.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Warm Regards wrote: Plus maybe the film could parody the newer Disney trends to contrast the first parodying older films.
That's what I think will happen. That's why I expect the animated portions to be 3D this time. And hopefully the Lopezes will be there with Menzel again (since I don't think Menken is an option anymore).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"