Winnie the Pooh (2011)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I think it was inevitable that Smurfs would be successful, but Winnie the Pooh still has a respectable box-office gross. For something that has been considered babyish for so many years, it's doing respectable business.

And, to be honest, the Smurfs being a hit doesn't annoy me the way Alvin and Yogi Bear's numbers annoyed me. Maybe it's the fact that an actual animation studio produced The Smurfs so the money behind will be going into funding future projects for Sony Animation and keeping animators employed.

Maybe, just maybe, the huge success of The Smurfs will lead today's children to give Peyo's original comic books a look. Did you ever think of that? Winnie the Pooh has made a nice, tidy profit and so will the Smurfs. Disney artists will stay employed (as evidenced by Clements and Musker working on a new hand-drawn film) and the artists at Sony Animation will stay employed, too. Why should we be pissed off at an animation studio, just because it's not Disney?

Maybe the money from The Smurfs will lead to more interesting and original projects like Surf's Up and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs? I mostly good things from the Smurf's success, with the only negative being that we get more of these un-inspired live-action hybrids based on old animated series. But, if its success funds the production of more fully animated features, I'm not annoyed in the slightest.

Winnie the Pooh had its time in the sun, it's done respectable "Ramona and Beezus" numbers as I said in that ignored posts a number of hours back and Disney has made a nice profit from a film that is surprising enough to be have been produced in this society - and released theatrically no less. And come next January, Pooh will likely be the one with the Oscar nomination and not the Smurfs.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

DisneyJedi wrote:
TsWade2 wrote: Auugh! I hate those stupid Smurfs. They're suppose to flop! The critics hated it. :angry:
You wanna blame anyone? Blame the kids of this generation and their parents. They don't know a GOOD family movie unless they ran face-first into it!

And by the way, they also hated Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel. But look how that turned out against The Princess and the Frog. :evil:
I know! I blame the stupid little boys for refusing to see The Princess & the Frog. I should send them to Pleasure Island and turn them into donkeys for all I care. :twisted:
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

estefan wrote:I think it was inevitable that Smurfs would be successful, but Winnie the Pooh still has a respectable box-office gross. For something that has been considered babyish for so many years, it's doing respectable business.

And, to be honest, the Smurfs being a hit doesn't annoy me the way Alvin and Yogi Bear's numbers annoyed me. Maybe it's the fact that an actual animation studio produced The Smurfs so the money behind will be going into funding future projects for Sony Animation and keeping animators employed.

Maybe, just maybe, the huge success of The Smurfs will lead today's children to give Peyo's original comic books a look. Did you ever think of that? Winnie the Pooh has made a nice, tidy profit and so will the Smurfs. Disney artists will stay employed (as evidenced by Clements and Musker working on a new hand-drawn film) and the artists at Sony Animation will stay employed, too. Why should we be pissed off at an animation studio, just because it's not Disney?

Maybe the money from The Smurfs will lead to more interesting and original projects like Surf's Up and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs? I mostly good things from the Smurf's success, with the only negative being that we get more of these un-inspired live-action hybrids based on old animated series. But, if its success funds the production of more fully animated features, I'm not annoyed in the slightest.

Winnie the Pooh had its time in the sun, it's done respectable "Ramona and Beezus" numbers as I said in that ignored posts a number of hours back and Disney has made a nice profit from a film that is surprising enough to be have been produced in this society - and released theatrically no less. And come next January, Pooh will likely be the one with the Oscar nomination and not the Smurfs.
Well, that's true. Thanks for clearing that up. After all, I'm betting that Winnie the Pooh will win Best Animated Feature and The Ballad of Nessie for Best Animated Short Subject, so Disney can continue to do Hand Drawn animation.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

estefan wrote:Maybe, just maybe, the huge success of The Smurfs will lead today's children to give Peyo's original comic books a look.
I was excited to bring a Smurfs book home from the comic shop today, one of the stories I actually owned when I was a kid:

Oh, and a Darkwing book too. ;) It's good to see them back on the shelves; I had no hopes of finding an English version of The Astro Smurf until this film came out and renewed some interest!
estefan wrote:Why should we be pissed off at an animation studio, just because it's not Disney?

How can anyone call themselves a Disney fan unless they hate all the competition? Disney should hold a copyright over all animation or something! :p But seriously, I totally agree with all of your post, not just the portions I've quoted. :)
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well, after much anticipation and complaining about how it's doing... I finally saw the movie. And with my brothers (one 18, the other 7) and mom, too. :)

I will definitely say that it brought me back to the days of my childhood, and the little scene at the end of the credits was cute, too. :D

Oh, by the way, if they go with more than three nominees for Best Animated Feature next time, I think we can expect Rio and Rango to be nominated as well with whichever other animated films were mentioned. Not that I saw Rio, mind you. But I have heard it has gotten some positive feedback.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I think Rango is the front-runner at this point. Even with only three nominees, it's a shoe-in.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Hopefully, the Oscars won't be snubbing little bitches like they were this year. You know what I'm talking about!
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

estefan wrote:I think Rango is the front-runner at this point. Even with only three nominees, it's a shoe-in.
I think Rango is probably the front-runner at the moment too, and I think it deserves to be as it is a very good film. If I had to predict the three nominations, I'd probably go with Rango, Rio and Winnie the Pooh; I didn't like the first Kung Fu Panda film and thought the sequel wasn't up to much either. If Pooh is nominated, I think it stands a good chance but that's a big if; as was proved with Tangled last year, there's no such thing as a safe bet when it comes to the Oscars.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Oh, hey, for those who saw the movie and stayed for the thing at the end of the credits, did anyone notice that the credits say that Mark Henn was Pooh and Christopher Robin's supervising animators? I was sure that Glen Keane was Christopher Robin's supervising animator. :?
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyJedi wrote:Well, after much anticipation and complaining about how it's doing... I finally saw the movie. And with my brothers (one 18, the other 7) and mom, too. :)

I will definitely say that it brought me back to the days of my childhood, and the little scene at the end of the credits was cute, too. :D

Oh, by the way, if they go with more than three nominees for Best Animated Feature next time, I think we can expect Rio and Rango to be nominated as well with whichever other animated films were mentioned. Not that I saw Rio, mind you. But I have heard it has gotten some positive feedback.
Good for you! Can't wait to see it! And oh yeah. I totally forgot about these two. Those 2 are definitely the winners. Sorry Pooh, but hey w/e. :(
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I think in the Oscars Animated Category, it'll be Rio, Rango, Pooh or Cars 2 instead of Pooh.....but that wouldn't make much sense ...then again this is the Oscars we're talking about...
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Oscars usually go for what the critics liked best when it comes to the Best Animated Feature oscar.

So Pooh is in the lead, with Rango close in second place. The third slot will go to something that will be released this fall or winter I think.
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

AWESOME banner, PatrickvD!

That sounds encouraging, that Pooh is in the lead! I would LOVE to see it win the Oscar!

I just wanted to give a heads up to everyone that Winnie the Pooh is leaving all of the major chain theatres in my area this week, with Thursday being the last day. It looks like it is being held over at just one independent theatre.

Obviously I don't know what it is like around the entire country, but based on where I am, this week could be the last chance for many of you to see it, or see it again, in theatres.

It's a shame it appears to only be basically getting a three week run!
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

^Well, at least I managed to see it in its last week while I could. Shame that it's leaving theaters where you are so soon. :(
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

David S. wrote:It's a shame it appears to only be basically getting a three week run!
WAIT, WHAT?!
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

Yes, it's sadly true, at least where I am. Here is the listing for our largest AMC for Friday, August 5, where movies typically stay the longest, because they have the most screens:

http://www.movietickets.com/house_detai ... 1&sortid=1

None of the other AMCs or chain theatres in the metro New Orleans area have it listed for Friday, either. Just one small, independent theatre.

Other cities might not be doing exactly the same, though, and any cities that have "second run dollar cinemas" will probably be getting it soon.

But based on what I'm seeing in my area, it looks like the screen count for Pooh will DRASTICALLY drop this Friday.

Thursday appears to be the last day for Cars 2, as well.
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Wehrenberg Seems to be showing it right now....Here's a few other sites other than AMC - (which Pooh Left a week ago at my theater. The More Screens in the theater, the more Pooh will stay depending on things.)

http://www.wehrenberg.com/indexf.aspx

http://www.regmovies.com/

BTW....I'm afraid to ask...but what are the Box Office Amounts on this so far.....They Should have released this in April within the USA....Putting it next to Harry Potter and then Smurfs.....It was Box Office Suicide from the beginning they put the movie in July....
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderlandFever »

ajmrowland wrote:dont blame the kids for not knowing blame the adults and disney pr
Exactly!!! People hardly knew who the smurfs were but they sure as hell made people know. Disney needs to stop with this thinking just because it's Disney they are going to come they need to do way more promotion.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Its almost been pushed out of the theaters here too. There are only 2 showings a day now (one early, one late). This is at all of my local theaters.

Each theater only had one screen showing Pooh to start with. Its probably sharing a screen now with another film.
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderlandFever »

It only has three showings a day this week at my local theater.

Has it already been pointed out that a lot of people decided not to "waste money" on seeing it in theaters since it's so short and will wait for DVD release?