Winnie the Pooh (2011)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Winnie the Pooh (2011)

Post by Neal »

Coming in 2011 is... a new Pooh sequel.

Despite "Pooh's Heffalump Movie" and "The Tigger Movie" being released to theaters, they were meant to be direct-to-DVD.

I didn't think they were so awful.

This time around, John Lasseter will oversee the project! And it will not be animated overseas. The quality should be so much better!

Also, it is going to be traditionally animated!

I'm pumped. The Pooh franchise is my favorite Disney franchise!

The bear is Disney's second most popular character. Placing him in a new feature only makes sense!

Read on:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... fd4b84e284

This explains the random re-release of "Pooh's Heffalump Halloween Movie" and "Winnie the Pooh: Seasons of Giving" for this fall!

No word on if this is a DisneyToon project or a Walt Disney Animation Studios project. I hope for the latter.
Last edited by Neal on Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

lol, I've been watching 'the many adventures of winnie the pooh' for the last 3 days straight and been thinking 'wow with the right people, a sequel would be magnificent'.

And this comes out :lol:

This just shows that they guy who said "think back to Winnie the pooh and the honey tree" was right.

I hope they maintain the sketchy xerox look because it was so fitting in the narrative, and to be honest, i think it made it that much more magical. That, and the witty dialogue.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

I hope Lumpy is in it!

Even if Lumpy is a product of the DisneyToon days, I think he fits right into the core group - Winnie, Rabbit, Tigger, Piglet, and Roo. He's an adorable character that really channels the essence of being a kid!
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

I hope owl and gopher are in it - modern day disney killed them off :o

The animation in the original was of amazing quality - I can't recall any film with better animation. I don't think today's animators can match upto it. It was the work of the 9 old men with decades of experiece after all.
Last edited by yukitora on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Oh yes, for sure.

Owl was always great for advice and I enjoy Golfer's tooth-whistling.

I always wanted to make my own Pooh sequel where Darby was Christopher Robin's sister, and every Pooh character at least cameos.

Each show has introduced characters that don't return.

Golfer in the original series.
Kessie following that.
Now we have such characters as Turtle.

To see them all in one place at one time would be a great homage!
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Pooh's Grand Adventure is good enough a sequel for me. I don't really like this idea. Maybe it's because I'm not a huge fan of Pooh, but I would've expected something that would appeal to a larger audience. Sure everyone grew up with him, but no average person 8+ will want to go see this in the theater.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I always like Pooh films. Still, I was hoping this other animated film was something new. Now everything really is riding on The Princess and the Frog.

Bothersome.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Where in the article does it say WDAS is involved in this? I think the DTV studio that does tinkerbell will make this. Lasseter oversees that studio as well.

A Pooh sequel makes no sense coming out right ater King of the Elves (wich is rather dark)

Good to read they're taking Mickey back to its roots a bit. I wouldn't mind a WDAS Mickey project though.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

2011 would make it before King of the Elves:

2008: WALL-E/BOLT
2009: Up/The Princess and the Frog
2010: Toy Story 3/Rapunzel
2011: Untitled Winnie the Pooh Project/Cars 2/The Bear and the Bow
2012: Newt/King of the Elves

...oh, and, hmm...maybe I misread the post on Blue Sky Disney, I thought it said WDAS was behind this (I hope they are!)
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

I hope they are too.

(btw, we completely forgot eeyore! he used to be my favourite too...)

I don't think it matters what sort of movie comes out after King of the Elves to be honest.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I read the title of this thread and thought Disney's next hand-drawn movie was going to be "Anne of Green Gables" adaptation :wink:.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Blue Sky Disney didn't say it would be done by WDAS either.

I'm guessing the Toon Studio will make it. But since Lasseter is calling the shots there too, I'm sure it'll be better than most of the stuff they've done in the past. And some of the animators working no TPaTF could move on to that project. To keep em busy.
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

I hope they include Heffalumps and Woozles in this somehow. Also, Christopher Robin, he should hopefully be in this if they do include a human character. Lumpy I can take or leave, I'd be happy enough with the main crew of Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, Eeyore, Rabbit, Owl, Kanga and Roo, Gopher and Christopher.

However, Heffalumps seem to have gone through changes since Many Adventures. Before they were sort of shown as evil things that steal your hunny, but now with Lumpy and his Mom apparently they aren't all that evil...also I remember a Father and Son duo from the animated show but I think the Dad wasn't evil evil (Like Hades or Cruella) but more of a Pete from Goof Troop evil. I think if anything, the Woozles should remain evil just to keep at least one type meance in the forest (even if we haven't seen them since Pooh's dream). Although it would be interesting to see if maybe there are some Evil Heffalumps to balance the good ones we've seen.

Although, if they did want to introduce a very Evil villain they could have it where Pooh and the gang have to rescue Christopher Robin from the Lace Collar :P
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It's certainly not the type of animated movie I wanted to follow "Princess", but as long as it's quality I'm sure it will turn out well.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Are we sure this will project will become part of the Disney Animated Classics Canon?

If it is than I do expect it to be of quality because a Pooh sequel aimed to be added to the Disney Animated Classics Canon has no room to be anything else. (especially with John Lasseter at the helm.)

This is very exciting if it's going to be a sequel like The Rescuer's Down Under and Fantasia 2000 were sequels.
a-net-fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by a-net-fan »

**groannnnnnnnnnnnnn** :arrow:
JUST ANOTHER 27 YEAR OLD DISNEY BUFF.....
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

My concern is that, even if the sequel is fantastic and all, who (besides us) will go see it? The Pooh franchise has become a Preschool thing, and parents usually don't wanna take preschoolers to a theater (I wouldn't at least). You can pretty much take out the crowd of kids ages 8-18 because "Pooh is for little kids." So, how are they gonna sell this?
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Re: A New 2D Pooh Film Is Being Made!

Post by kbehm29 »

Neal wrote: I'm pumped. The Pooh franchise is my favorite Disney franchise!

The bear is Disney's second most popular character. Placing him in a new feature only makes sense!
Disney has got my heart pumping too with all of these new projects they have coming up. Between A Christmas Carol, Alice in Wonderland, the Princess and the Frog, Toy Story 3, the continuation of the Tinker Bell franchise, and now a new Pooh movie??? I'm in heaven.

AND - I think more parents of preschoolers take their kids to the movies than some of you think. I would guess this would be a decent money maker for the parents of 2-8 crowd and adult fans of Pooh everywhere.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Pooh is the essence of childhood. A model of innocence. The poster child of blissful ignorance.

This is for kids, and kids at heart - who can still appreciate a silly old bear after 40-some odd years.

Fans of the bear will gather for his heartwarming antics, regardless of their age.

I know of many adults who have Pooh merchandise.

My School's superintendant, for instance, wears a Pooh tie.

Others have coffee mugs, books, etc.

He just needs to deliver quality animation, adorable gags, and more of the lovable sayings that got him to where he is - if he can, it'll be fine.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

This is very confusing. DisneyToon Studios don't seem to be further interested in releasing films theatrically, so it would be unlikely that is Pooh film is produced there. And if the film is going to be produced in the US, then that definitely rules DisneyToon out. So where will it be made? WDAS!? But I can't picture them making a Pooh sequel.

I want more information. Wikipedia users keep adding and deleting the film from the site's list of WDAS produced films. They can't make up their mind.