Fantasia/F2K: 2-Movie Collection Discussion: Nov. 30, 2010

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Does anyone have the high-res version of this cover art?

I’m making my own cover and I'd love to use this.
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

^That's high-res? :scratch:
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Yeah, there was one on Amazon.UK that was freaking huge (I could scroll through it). I was hoping someone snagged it before they took it down (it was only there for a week or two)
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

I saved it to my imageshack account. Just click on the little thumbnail below to get the high res version :)

jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

^Thank you soo much!!! I honestly didn't expect anyone to have it, what a pleasant surprise.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

No problem. Always happy to put my image hoarding to a good cause. :)
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Don't suppose you've got one for Fantasia/2000, hm?
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
kylemj
Limited Issue

Post by kylemj »

SpringHeelJack wrote:Don't suppose you've got one for Fantasia/2000, hm?
is this of any use to you?

http://getvideoartwork.com/gallery/main ... alNumber=1
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

kylemj wrote:
SpringHeelJack wrote:Don't suppose you've got one for Fantasia/2000, hm?
is this of any use to you?

http://getvideoartwork.com/gallery/main ... alNumber=1
Well done, sir.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

If anyone's interested, there's two new(ish) torrents posted on Mousebits. One is of the CD release of the 1982 re-recording and the other is of Deems Taylor's actual narration from the edited down version. Just in case anyone wanted to do some fun video editing.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Ok, so Im listening to the Irwin Kostal 1982 recordings.... at times I feel they are better than the originals (bigger orchestra, fuller sound), but at times, he doesnt hit the marks the way Stokowski (sp?) did.

But either way... I would never dare say that Disney should replace the original recording. But why the hell didnt they include both tracks on the new dvds/blu rays???? it costs them NOTHING to do it...its all already recorded!

Gosh...
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Ok... just had an eye opening experience regarding the Irwin Kostal recording.

I found the soundtrack for it on youtube, and I downloaded several of the sections. While listening to the third movement of the pastoral symphony (bacchanal), I noticed an odd transition on the soundtrack.

So I popped my dvd into the computer, and synched the Kostal recording to the dvd image. And then I noticed the odd jump in the soundtrack: its the shot where the carpet is being unrolled by Sunflower. In the current dvd, she has been digitally removed, but I assume that back in 1982, when Kostal recorded his version, they just cut the entire shot of the carpet unrolling.

Now, whether Kostal recorded the entire piece and then the section was cut, or did his orchestrations jump over this section intentionally, I don't know. But it sure is interesting! (and a plausible reason why Disney might not have included his version of the soundtrack.... it wouldnt fit!)
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Yeah, Irwin Kostal's recording is great but it wouldn't fit. Not just because of the jumps in the track from editing out Sunflower but mostly because the Kostal soundtrack wasn't synced with the Roadshow edit of the movie, which is the only version they release anymore.

I personally would love it if they'd re-recorded the score to the movie exactly how Stokowski arranged it and included it as an alternative track, like they currently do with the original mono and the DEHT tracks. I'd also like to hear Deems Taylor's voice again but unfortunately YouTube and the opening to Fantasia 2000 are the only place we can anymore.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Oh yeah, thanx for reminding me we all have the Corey Burton recording.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Hmmm... I thought the non-roadshow version just omitted the intermission, the "soundtrack" character and some of the Deems Taylor stuff.
I thought the actual segments were all the same...

Im sure they could do a track with the Kostal recordings, and if there are any holes, they could just put in bits of the Stokowski track...

its a shame that its not there at all.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Sorry for resurrecting this topic but I found a video that intercuts Deems Taylor's narration and Corey Burton's. As you can see (well...hear), Corey Burton doesn't sound anything at all like Deems Taylor, it's really distracting.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/44676300? ... lor=ff9933" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I guarantee you Disney could put a contest on YouTube and within two weeks they'd have someone who can do a perfect imitation. As it stands, I'm not a fan of Corey Burton's narration, as it just doesn't sound like it's coming from the person we see on screen.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

y'know, without that video, most people wouldnt tell the difference at all. Still has that 30s radio quality to it.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

You know, jpanimation, this is part off-topic and part-related to your YouTube mention. Last year, I was literally searching the Internet for a Dom DeLuise soundalike.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

ajmrowland wrote:y'know, without that video, most people wouldnt tell the difference at all. Still has that 30s radio quality to it.
Unfortunately, this video is probably introducing entire generations to Deems Taylor's actual voice, since all this generation has ever known is Corey Burton. To me, having a 30s radio quality isn't enough. Anyone can replicate a speech pattern but replicating someone's voice is an entirely different story.