Fantasia/F2K: 2-Movie Collection Discussion: Nov. 30, 2010

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

jpanimation wrote: Not at all. I own The Day the Earth Stood Still and Casablanca on Blu and I have to say I prefer Warner's fantastic restoration to Fox's higher bit-rates. You should be walking away from my post with the notion that I just like to complain and that I really wanted Carrotblanca restored and in HD (right now it looks like crap) :D
Carrotblanca is from 1995, so it doesn't need a restoration. Yes, it could've been in HD, but it's doesn't look like crap at all.
jpanimation wrote: Maybe they could also ad an option to watch Fantasia 2000 without the celebrity intros (better yet, get one person who actually has something to do with music, record new intros for the whole thing to be consistent). Either way, I'm sure Disney will do us fans right by giving us a proper Fantasia Blu release.
If anything, I don't think we need more tampering with a Fantasia film. Fantasia 2000 was too short anyway, but that's probably due to the fact that children can't sit still for music and animation for more than ninety minutes, apparently. The celebrity intros were part of 2000's theme as a celebration of the whole concept. So, some had something to do with the music (Quincy Jones, Itzhak Perlman) and others were part of the 'Disney legacy (James Earl Jones, Angela Lansbury). I think it's a fascinating idea, and it doesn't need to be changed.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

KubrickFan wrote:Carrotblanca is from 1995, so it doesn't need a restoration. Yes, it could've been in HD, but it's doesn't look like crap at all.
What does it being made in 1995 have to do with anything. They used cells and it needs a restoration. Even at DVD resolution you can see the dust and scratches on the frames and it looks a little blurry.
Coolmanio
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Coolmanio »

Maybe Fantasia isnt switched? :o Im so confused :(

FANTASIA AND FANTASIA 2000 - THE DIAMOND EDITIONS
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

They aren't switched. Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 even have release dates. According to Blu-Ray.com, they will both have separate releases on May 5th. They were supposedly pushed to May because The Princess and the Frog is coming to Blu-Ray in March. Since both are high profile releases with big add campaigns, and since both films will generate large profits, I'm assuming they wanted to spread the cost and earnings between two quarters of Disney's fiscal year (Princess and the Frog in second quarter, Fantasia in third quarter). That way they have good news to give to shareholders when they release their quarter earnings.
Will Barks
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Will Barks »

I still hope they'll publish the uncensored version of Fantasia! :|
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Coolmanio wrote:Maybe Fantasia isnt switched? :o Im so confused :(

FANTASIA AND FANTASIA 2000 - THE DIAMOND EDITIONS
Looks like they're getting the trailer ready for the Dumbo release :D
Will Barks wrote:I still hope they'll publish the uncensored version of Fantasia! :|
+1

The edits look terrible and will probably look worse on Blu. Slavery was common in ancient greece and Disney took that historical fact and americanized it using a common stereotype so it would register with the American audience of that time better. I doubt he put it there to offend anyone that may have lineage linking back to slavery under pink people. I know some people may be offended by Sunflower being a slave to a colored woman, but an easy fix with all the girls being a different color is to just make Sunflower Purple or Blue (hey, color alteration to make it PC has happened before with the Indians in Peter Pan, although I'd rather they not, but it's better then the crap editing they're doing now)

I also hope they make a compromise on the narration as I'm not really happy with Corey Burton dubbing over the surviving elements. Ideally, if they could find an impersonator to fill in the blanks, that would be best.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

It's odd that the BatB Diamond edition trailer has already popped up but Fantasia/2000 hasn't been seen yet. I'm hoping to see the trailer for the Fantasia/2000 on the Dumbo Blu or sooner!
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

I was strolling around the forums of Blu-ray.com, and someone suggested that Disney might announce official release dates for their upcoming Blu releases (like this, Dumbo, and B&B) at CES (the Consumers Electronics Show) which will take place January 7-10. That's not too far away. Hopefully, the press release for this can get out and we can all be happy...
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

I'm still lost on the release date. Are the Fantasia movies a spring release or a fall release?
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

We don't know. For all we do know, they could end up being a summer release, and both Alices could be winter releases.
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

ajmrowland wrote:We don't know. For all we do know, they could end up being a summer release, and both Alices could be winter releases.
Hell, it's BVHE!! For all we know, they could end up being released in September 2020, and both Alices could be released next month! (Yes, I'm aware that the new Alice won't even be in theatres by then. That's just part of my point.)
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

ajmrowland wrote:We don't know. For all we do know, they could end up being a summer release, and both Alices could be winter releases.
Well I want one of these new 2-Disc DVDs in the Spring and not all in the summer/fall (I assume Beauty and the Beast is coming out in the fall as well?)
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

The_Iceflash... Don't you have a funny feeling that us loyal DVD supporters are going to get screwed over again? That's why I picked up the anthology box set yesterday on Amazon. I don't want another disappointment like "Snow White."

Just.A.Friend
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Just.A.Friend »

Margos wrote:The_Iceflash... Don't you have a funny feeling that us loyal DVD supporters are going to get screwed over again? That's why I picked up the anthology box set yesterday on Amazon. I don't want another disappointment like "Snow White."
I would have waited until you actually got some more info about the release before you went and bought a whole (old) set.
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

I'm pretty sure that the DVDs of Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 will not have anything of importance that the Anthology set did not have, especially if Disney is thinking the same way they did when they put out the latest DVDs of Tarzan, The Emperor's New Groove, and Snow White.

Like it or not, most new bonus features will end up on Blu-ray only in the years ahead.
"Mustard? Don't let's be silly!"
--Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

My DVDs
Disneylv20

Post by Disneylv20 »

Have any of you seen the trailer? It looks great!! You can see it on the blu-ray live feature. Go online and download the trailer.

You can also see James and the Giant Peach (look like they have lots to do on the restoration of this one) and The Prince of Persia.
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

Just.A.Friend wrote:
Margos wrote:The_Iceflash... Don't you have a funny feeling that us loyal DVD supporters are going to get screwed over again? That's why I picked up the anthology box set yesterday on Amazon. I don't want another disappointment like "Snow White."
I would have waited until you actually got some more info about the release before you went and bought a whole (old) set.
I was going to! I promised myself I wouldn't jump to conclusions... But then I got the new "Snow White" DVD and my heart just sank. Trust me, the new version of "Fantasia" will be no better on DVD, and I'm not ready to upgrade just yet. Besides, the old "Fantasia" anthology is, from what I gathered from UD's review, one of the greatest Disney sets ever, and I'd be stupid to wait around for an inferior product instead of just picking it up.

Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Disneylv20 wrote:Have any of you seen the trailer? It looks great!! You can see it on the blu-ray live feature. Go online and download the trailer.

You can also see James and the Giant Peach (look like they have lots to do on the restoration of this one) and The Prince of Persia.
Where did you find the trailer for Fantasia blu-ray? Could you please post a link?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disneylv20

Post by Disneylv20 »

sotiris2006 wrote:
Disneylv20 wrote:Have any of you seen the trailer? It looks great!! You can see it on the blu-ray live feature. Go online and download the trailer.

Where did you find the trailer for Fantasia blu-ray? Could you please post a link?
I can't find it on youtube. I only saw it on BD Live. I can try to film it, but you will have to give me a little while.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Disneylv20 wrote:I can't find it on youtube. I only saw it on BD Live. I can try to film it, but you will have to give me a little while.
Take all the time you need. :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage