Fantasia/F2K: 2-Movie Collection Discussion: Nov. 30, 2010

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Yeah, it's cool...

But I'm still upset that Don Hahn would say the other shorts were going to be on there, only for him to flat out lie about it. :(
Mr. Yagoobian
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mr. Yagoobian »

DisneyJedi wrote:Yeah, it's cool...

But I'm still upset that Don Hahn would say the other shorts were going to be on there, only for him to flat out lie about it. :(
Don Hahn lied? I doubt it. I don't believe for a second that he said anything about the other shorts & this package with the intention to deceive; I don't believe he spoke falsely. Why would he?

He's Don Hahn and all, but he doesn't run WD Home Entertainment. Any advance details given about a home media release should be read as if there's fine print at the bottom reading "Offer subject to change," because that's how it works---it's the nature of the beast. There are no guarantees in life, and there certainly aren't any in home media. Details and specifications develop and change; releases can be planned, announced, and fail to materialize entirely. We may have been misled, but there's no reason to believe it was by design. For us to have been lied to, we'd have to have been told the shorts would be included by someone who knew darn well when he opened his mouth that it wasn't gonna happen...and I don't think that's the case.

Advance press on future releases, especially *months* in advance...it's advertising for products that don't yet exist. The only way to read them is as pleasant fiction.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Just 2 weeks and 3 days (or hopefully sooner) until my Blu-Ray set arrives on my doorstep! Can't wait, it will be a whole new experience in HD.
Will Barks
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Will Barks »

miniroll32 wrote:Upcoming Fantasia now available on Torrent 720p (6.5GB)

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5899194 ... 264-BestHD

Unfortunately I can't get many peers on my download, but I made a copy of the file before and had a play back of what's downloaded so far (up to the opening speech by Taylor) and the quality is great. Nice natural film grain - something that I've been wondering about because this film, unlike past Lowry restorations for Disney, contains quite a bit of live action so makes a nice change.

The colour timing is fantastic too, it brings out many details I hadn't seen before. When the curtains open at the beginning of the film, there is more definition in where the light is being casted onto the blue backdrop.

If you can't download it all, i'd say just take a chunk and have a play back to get a taster. Even I don't want to spoil the surprise come the Blu-Ray :D
How about the censored scenes? Are they in there?
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

Didn't manage to download up to that point sorry. I found a 1080p copy and even that was 8gb, the download speeds here are just poor :(
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

Someone on YouTube has posted an excellent 2-minute montage of footage from the Blu-Ray release, and it's in 1080p! :D

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi2g2fXTCS4
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

Note the most obvious changes in RGB colour timing - the title card, and the dancing fish!

Image[/list]
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Mr. Yagoobian wrote:
blackcauldron85 wrote:I wish that the Treasures were still being made, or the Legacy Collection...Destino would have had its own set... :(
I dunno. Wasn't the hypothetical Destino Treasures release canned before the Treasures line was officially pronounced dead?
Yeah. It was planned to be part of the 2008 wave (and before, planned to be part of the 2007 wave of the Legacy Collection, but that line got canceled because of all the fan outcry over the Treasures being cancelled and replaced by it).

I'd have preferred if it were still a standalone release. There were a few extras produced for its Legacy Collection/Treasures set that haven't been mentioned at all in any Fantasia press release, meaning they'll either be a nice surprise to find on November 30 (:D) or they haven't been included at all (:().

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

I've ordered both the Single and Combo Pack, so will let you know on 8th of November if the extras are the same 8)

Interestingly, even though our UK Combo is 2 disc, the box is double-wide... I'm just wondering if the films are contained in seperate cases even though they only have a disc each. I got the single pack just for that dvd too - and it looks nicer :P
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^Nope. PATF Combo had a double-wide case.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Wow! I have to admit those images did look pretty good!

Still sticking to my legacy collection since that has more quality features.
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

Now available from RapidShare with much better download speeds (currently just got past T+Fugue)

All I can say is... Wow! I can't get over the detail, particularly in the live action shots. You can see all the detail of the musicians and Taylor, and once it gets into the Fugue the colours are so different, they just make sense now.

These screenshots don't really do the detail justice because they've captured some kind of motion blur :(
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

No, they don't do it justice. You really have to download the 1080p file and play it through your PS3 :wink:
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

Sad I know, but I felt like crying during the Fugue sequence because it was just that beautiful. The clarity and the colours are just wonderful - it just puts the DVD/VHS versions to absolute shame. Even in the opening sequence, the the colours just seem to make sense... The background 'cloudform' of the fugue is no longer the over-saturated blue, but a more teal-green like colour, while the bow shapes are a light yellow. But I've stopped watching it now because I want to keep the rest a nice surprise!! :D :D :D

Ohh roll on 8th November :( :( :(
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Is it worth investing in a surround sound system for this? I've never had one before as I'm not sure it will make a difference as my room is tiny...
Mr. Yagoobian
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mr. Yagoobian »

yamiiguy wrote:No, they don't do it justice. You really have to download the 1080p file and play it through your PS3 :wink:
Or one could choose to *not* participate in illegal distribution and wait a month for the actual release.
yamiiguy wrote:Is it worth investing in a surround sound system for this? I've never had one before as I'm not sure it will make a difference as my room is tiny...
That---is an excellent question.
And I could go on for paragraphs about why, but it would mostly involve asking questions out loud about creating discrete multichannel mixes from 2-channel sources, question which no one here could effectively answer.
More important than multichannel surround sound, I think, is the capability to play back the uncompressed or losslessly compressed audio formats. Since moving I've lost my surround-ability, but I'm still getting 2-channel playback of PCM, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA audio---other folks report different results, but to my ears there's a substantial difference in dynamic range and quality over the legacy lossy formats like Dolby and DTS. I know Fantasia's soundtrack has had a convoluted and problematic history, but as much as the visual presentation I'm looking forward to hearing Fantasia sound better than I've ever heard it before, even if "only" in stereo. (And Fantasia 2000 *really* makes me wish I still had my surround gear...dangit. Because that should be stunning.)
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

"Or one could choose to *not* participate in illegal distribution and wait a month for the actual release."

Or *not* :wink:
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

I'm surprised Luke hasn't said anything about links to torrents being posted.
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

Might be handy if someone uploads them to YouTube :)
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

Night on Bald Mountain, in a glorious HD upload ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGWIIbOYk6g