Mary Poppins on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
englishboy
Gold Classic Collection

Mary Poppins on Broadway

Post by englishboy »

When did this happen?

http://www.marypoppins.com/
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

It says the show opens December 2004. This must be the main cause for the delay in the DVD release. Disney is probably going to add a behind the scenes of the musical as a special feature. This show ought to be interesting. I hope it comes to America. I have seen all of the U.S. Disney shows (Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, and Aida) and hope to see this one some day. I also wish the "Hunchback of Notre Dame" show would travel the U.S, but I think all of the new songs were written in German so it would require Disney to do some extra work, which we all know they don't like to do.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Mary Poppins Play

Post by Disney Guru »

This play looks really good. I can't wait till December I will be one of the first to see it. It looks like one of the best Disney plays yet. I have always loved mary Poppins. It has always been my favorite Disney Movie!
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

The Mary Poppins is heading to the Prince Edward Theatre's stage at London.
It's a musical the songs such as "Feed the Birds" and " :upercalifragilisticexpialidocious" will be performed.
Tickets go on sale on Feburary 29.
Opeing night will be December 15.

Visit marypoppinsthemusical.com for more information.
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

There's also supposed to be a stage production of 101 Dalmatians (with real animals :o ) in production for the London stage.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

This looks awesome! I haven't seen any Disney Broadway, and would like to see them all, but this would be my first choice. I have a friend in NYC, I'll schedule a visit if this ever makes its way over there.

Any chance Julie Andrews will be in it? Doubtful, as she's old now, but I suppose there's a chance.

And the 101 Dalmations sounds awesome, as well.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

2099net wrote:There's also supposed to be a stage production of 101 Dalmatians (with real animals :o ) in production for the London stage.
What the.... 101 Dalmatians with live dogs? Hehe, imagine all the incidents that could happen on the stage. :P

There are a thousand better Disney movies to adapt to the stage... Snow White, Aladdin and Pocahontas come to mind.
It is said that they are also planning stage shows of Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid and Tarzan. Hmm... Tarzan? A Broadway musical with rock music?
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

goofystitch wrote:I also wish the "Hunchback of Notre Dame" show would travel the U.S, but I think all of the new songs were written in German so it would require Disney to do some extra work, which we all know they don't like to do.
Nope, they were written in English (by Stephen Schwartz and Alan Menken) and then translated into German. The original lyrics have never been published in any form, though.
KinOO
Gold Classic Collection

Mary Poppins on Broadway

Post by KinOO »

Simply amazing!
Mary is perfect, July andrews can be proud! The two kids ROCKS, far better than the 2 from the movie, and Bert is okay! Cn't wait to see it on stage!

Right clic and save as:

http://www.chrismedia.co.uk/marymusical.wmv
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Oh my God I watched that on TV last week and I was going to mention something here, but I completely forgot! :oops:

I have to admit, I don't like the way that Super was introduced, I can understand the couldn't really do a horse race on stage, but still!
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Poppins coming to Broadway

Post by Fflewduur »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4428080.stm

She who is practically perfect in every way will hit the New Amsterdam theatre in November 2006. Anyone have comments to offer on the UK production? I know there are non-Sherman songs added to the score, but very little else. I'm a bit surprised by the addition of new tunes, actually--I recall my original soundtrack album was a double LP, and the film already seems to have more good songs than your average musical.

I'm quite a ways from the big apple these days, but this definitely ranks as one of my three all-time-favorite Disney films...sure would be nice to see it onstage (if it's good).
CurleysMartini

Mary Poppins on Broadway

Post by CurleysMartini »

Is anyone else absolutely ecstatic over this? :D I got my ticket a few days ago and already the best left was Row LL on the 2nd level. The lovely Ashley Brown who was playing Belle on Broadway til recently has the title role and if she can play Mary like Belle it'll be amazing.
crunkcourt
Gold Classic Collection

Post by crunkcourt »

I saw this show twice while I was in London. You are going to have an absolutely amazing time! I did a review of it on Aaron's podcast Zip-a-dee-doo-pod for Episode # 6. If your seats aren't restricted viewing these seats are better than ones in the orchestra. Generally with big musicals this is the case. Have a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious time!!!
Prince Charming 12
Gold Classic Collection

MARY POPPINS ON BROADWAY

Post by Prince Charming 12 »

I had the opportunity to watch Marry Poppins in NYC at the New Amsterdam Theatre this past Wednesday. The production was excellent and they had some neat special effects throughout the show. Obviously some scenes and music were added/deleted for the stage production vs the movie. I was seated on the Orchestra level in the fourth row so it was a really up close and personal experience. I even purchased the soundtrack, but that was a little pricey at $25 (I took a "spoon full of sugar" before I shelled out the cash). I would recommend the show to everyone so if you get an opportunity to see it - take it! Chim Chim Cher-ee :D

Also, the last Broadway performance of Beauty and the Beast will be on July 29th and the Little Mermaid will begin performances on November 3rd.
Remember the Magic!
Harbinger
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Harbinger »

I just came back from NYC. I tried to see the show but I couldn't get tickets in my price range and there was no student rush. So I went to go see Spring Awakening...which was totally worth it.

You got ripped off for the CD. The Virgin Megastore in Times Square was selling the soundtrack for 10 bucks!
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

Every few months my mother takes me and my sister to see a Broadway play. This past Saturday I had the pleasure of seeing Mary Poppins on Broadway. It was magical, absolutely fantastic! The sets, costumes, and actors created a perfect production. I was just amazed with the entire show. The sets were beautiful. The Banks home was set up like a giant dollhouse. The sets for all the scenes were amazing; they were some of the best I had ever seen. The costumes were equally as wonderful- although I did not like how Mary did not change into her beautiful white and red outfit during the Jolly Holiday sequence, like she did in the film.

The play was very interesting; it differed from the film in many ways. We got to explore the relationship between George and Winifred Banks like never before. I learned so much about those characters. Mrs. Banks has a few songs in which she reminded me of a Disney Princess singing her “I want/ I wish” song. It was very touching, especially in the conclusion. One of the new characters to the play was a villainess; Miss Andrew, who was Mr. Banks Nanny. She was a very funny but a fearful character and it was fun to see how Mary Poppins “disposed” of her. It was a very darkness against light type of story. I also got to learn much more about Mary Poppins. I now truly believe that she is an angel. I don’t think they explained that too much in the film. What I liked about the play was the fact that the audience is clearly shown how Mary Poppins truly is a guardian angel. It was a fantastic performance.

The Supercali…..(you know the rest) scene was so much fun to watch. I enjoyed the plays version, more than the films version. They took the song out of the Jolly Holiday scene and placed it in a new scene featuring new characters, who I assume are from the original book. The scene worked, and it was fun. The audience got a big kick out of it. Almost all of the other musical numbers from the original film, were included and they were made even more magical on stage. Words can’t describe how amazing the “Step In Time” sequence in the play was. The “Feed the Birds” portion of the play made you feel-and shouted its lesson louder than the film could. To my disappointment the “I Love To Laugh” scene that we all love from the original film was not included in the Broadway production. The new songs were just as great as the old (despite one, read below) and the captured that magic that is Mary Poppins. It was a wonderful experience.

Some of the things made new for the play I just did not care for. During the Jolly Holiday scene, in the play, “living statues” replaced the penguins that were shown in the film. Bert would imitate the actions of the statues, unlike the film where Bert imitated the penguins. The rest of the scene was wonderful- I just did not care for the statue people.

The “Temper, Temper” scene was just very odd. In the scene Mary Poppins made Jane and Michael’s toys come to life (giant-sized) and basically punish them for the bad behavior. The musical number was both odd and scary. I really did not care for the entire scene in general . I think the point of the scene could have been depicted differently. I think it was unnecessary.

The plays final scenes were just magical. It was pure Disney Magic at its best. I especially enjoyed when Mary took Jane and Michael into the heavens, it was beautiful to see. The play concluded with Mary Poppins flying away through the audience. It was fantastic. I was amazed at what I saw. I truly loved this play, despite some objections. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. I loved all but one of the new songs, the sets were beautiful, costumes were fantastic, and the cast was unbelievable; however, I really disliked the “Temper, Temper” scene.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year!
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

New song for Broadway's "Mary Poppins"

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Just as it has recently been added to the North American touring production, the Broadway production of MARY POPPINS recently welcomed the inclusion of a new song. "Playing the Game" replaces "Temper, Temper", the scene in which Jane and Michael's toys come to life.

The Broadway company has also just welcomed two new stars: Laura Michelle Kelly (the original West End Mary), plus Christian Borle as Bert.
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

What?! Why?! :(
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

I'm presuming the composers felt unsatisfied with "Temper, Temper" and decided to try writing something which they felt was a nicer fit for the scene. It's not one of the best songs in the show, you must admit.
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

hmmm that's intersting. I'm seeing the show opening night in LA this Dec. Front row! :)