Random Disney Photoshop Fun

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Wow, that's a great set of images you made PrincePhilip! What I like the most is that they capture something people tend to mis; that the characters they animate say a lot about the animator in terms of style, humor and personality.

Notice how Marc Davis tended to draw bigger than life female characters while Ward Kimball did the fun, cartoony and expressive characters.

Its fantastic! You should do one for the modern animators (Glen Keane, Mark Hanh, Andreas Deja, Eric Goldberg etc.).

EDIT: Actually, mind if I take a crack at it? I just found my old Photoshop disc and I am dying to use it!
ImageImageImageImage

PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I'm glad that you liked them so far. :D

And feel free to pap! I'd love to see what you do with them. I'm working on another series myself that hopefully I might have done by next week so I hope others will like that as well. :)

Just diverting the topic a little, I noticed a lot as well how it seems you can tell the animator by their certain characteristics and characters they animate. I think perhaps my favorite is John Lounsbery. I think he's sadly overlooked, mostly due to as Glen Keane and Don Bluth have said, he was an incredibly modest and quiet man about his work, and would gladly take his time from his work to help teach and discuss the work with assistant and training animators. When I was looking at making his tribute, the one thing that struck so much was his versatility. He was well known for animating characters who were "larger than life" type of personalities, like Mr. Darling, Tony and Joe, Colonel Hathi, Foulfellow and Gideon, but at the same time he could be very subtle too in his work and handle animating characters such as Phillip, Tramp, and Pongo. I think in Sleeping Beauty alone you can see his versatilty: animating most of the scenes with Hubert and Stefan, close ups of Phillip and almost all of the animation when he's on horseback, Maleficent's goons, and the owl and animals when they dance with Aurora.

And speaking of Marc Davis, there's something I love as well about the way he draws female characters. You can't see it that much in the finished film, but in his drawings there's something about the way he illustrates women's eyes. They're very feminine and almost hypnotic looking. I think you can really see it in his sketches like he did in his character sketches for the Tightrope Girl and Medusa in the Haunted Mansion.

Image Image
-Tim
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Nice, Tim!

Here's a Sleeping Beauty banner I just made:

ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I like the Nine Old men ones. It'd make for a swell set!

"9 Old Men, and 18 Old Films".
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

PrincePhillipFan wrote:
And speaking of Marc Davis, there's something I love as well about the way he draws female characters. You can't see it that much in the finished film, but in his drawings there's something about the way he illustrates women's eyes. They're very feminine and almost hypnotic looking. I think you can really see it in his sketches like he did in his character sketches for the Tightrope Girl and Medusa in the Haunted Mansion.

Image Image
i told you this before but for others, you'll notice awfully similar that medusa drawing and Princess Aurora look alike.
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

I really like the banner, PPF, and thanks for the compliment, ajmrowland! I'm hoping to do another series now next as well to what I call the Nine Old Men Of Imagineering: Harper Goff, Ken Anderson, Herb Ryman, Sam McKim, Claude Coats, John Hench, Rolly Crump, Marc Davis, and X. Atencio.
-Tim
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Two more animation tributes I made. One dedicated to my favorite story man and one of my favorite children's book authors Bill Peet, and to the wonderful artist Mary Blair.

-Tim
The Little Merboy
Special Edition

Post by The Little Merboy »

LOVES the Mary Blair one! Good job, PrincePhillipFan
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Always nice to see such works!
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

That's really great, PhilipFan! Was it a deliberate choice to include only characters from the Walt-days? (Since some of the Nine Old Men worked on later films as well.)

Do you take requests? :wink: I'd love to see such a tribute for Freddy Moore, Bill Tytla and Art Babbitt, who are often sadly overlooked, but those are the guys who really taught the Nine Old Men how to animate.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I didn't know Mary Blair did some Sleeping Beauty artwork!
ImageImageImageImage

PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Goliath wrote:That's really great, PhilipFan! Was it a deliberate choice to include only characters from the Walt-days? (Since some of the Nine Old Men worked on later films as well.)

Do you take requests? :wink: I'd love to see such a tribute for Freddy Moore, Bill Tytla and Art Babbitt, who are often sadly overlooked, but those are the guys who really taught the Nine Old Men how to animate.
Thanks Goliath! And yes I did purposefully select the ones from the Walt era since I think it reflected them best and how they were Walt's nine old men. :) And I'd love to do requests! I've been thinking of doing a Tytla one as well, and I think a Moore and Babbitt ones would be great as well. I'll be sure to get around to doing them soon!

And yep, pap, Mary did do some Sleeping Beauty art during her leave at Disney. For promotional pieces she made the collage which I included in the tribute, as well as illustrate a Sleeping Beauty storybook for Disney in her style. I'd love to be able to find that and track it down some day.

Any way, here are my new sets of tributes. I like to call them what I consider "The Nine Old Men of Imagineering." I selected who I consider to be the top 9 most influential Imagineers of the Walt era, who have worked longest and more detailed with the company. Almost all of them as well even worked in the animation department before coming to work for WED at Walt's urging - Ken was a character designer, art director, story man, and layout man for Snow White all the way to Pete Dragon, John Hench was a layout man on Fantasia to Peter Pan, Herb Ryman was a background artist on Fantasia to Three Caballeros, Claude worked as a background artist on Snow White to Lady And The Tramp, Rolly was an assistant animator on Peter Pan to 101 Dalmatians, X Atencio was an assistant animator on Pinocchio and Fantasia and later as a stop motion animator, and Harper Goff was an art director for 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and later became art director for the classic Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory.

It was a bit hard for me trying to select which sketches to use since I wanted to focus on their conceptual art aspect, especially since many of these legend's talents extended far beyond drawing. Ken was a master concept model maker working on models for the early version of the Haunted Mansion and Story Book Land, Rolly and his model work for Small World and the Mansion, and X. Atencio who became a greater writer than an artist with his work as the script writer and lyricist for Pirates Of The Caribbean and "Yo Ho", the Haunted Mansion and "Grim Grinning Ghosts", Country Bear Jamboree, World of Motion, and numerous other Epcot pavilions.

Any way, for those who may not know much about the parks or involved with them, I'd love to hear what you think and hope you appreciate these as well and see what great artists came from animation and were able to transport their skills in art, model making, and story and script writing to the Disney parks. :)
-Tim
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

PrincePhillp would you mind doin a character collage for me? I'll pm you the characters that I'd like to choose.
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Just got your message right now, Mason. I'll get to it as soon as I can along with Goliath's requests. :)
-Tim
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Thanks alot PrincePhillip much appericated take your time with it please.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I love your collages, Tim, especially those featuring Nine Old Men. Very inspiring indeed. Keep up the good work!

Disney unveils the first promotional image for the Maleficent movie!

...Or not. :P
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Nice work on the whacked cover.
Just.A.Friend
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Just.A.Friend »

bahaha. I love the Whacked poster!
Great work!
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Random Disney Photoshop Fun

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow Mooky impressive, practically perfect, and dare I say genius!

The only thing is I would have called it "Malice", "Mistress", or "Evil", related to Maleficent, the Evil Fairy, or Mistress of All Evil. Whacked is funny but doesn't really fit to me. And maybe I would have just lowered her head so much the tall horns cover her eyes, but it's hard to explain what I could see.

I love picking at art, sorry! Terrific job!

I love this thread, good one Tim, and love all you've posted so far as well!
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Thanks, guys! :) I'm really glad you liked it!

And Duster, don't worry – after all, the pics are here to be criticized. Your (and everyone else's) comments are always welcome. I understand why a different title would be more appropriate, but since the whole image was supposed to be a spoof of the Wicked poster, I wanted the title to reflect that too. :)