Non existant Aladdin merchandise with BR release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Non existant Aladdin merchandise with BR release

Post by DC Fan »

¿Remember when Cinderella was getting the BR release?

For those who don´t. There were TONS of Cinderella merchandise. From 50´s like stuff to characters that not usually get anything.

With Aladdin BR release in Europe I made several searches:

1. on the UK Disney Store almost nothing.

2. on the US Disney Store...

You better see for yourselves. It´s just too painful. Especially for one popular Disney hero/boy film; there aren´t tons of those.

http://www.disneystore.com/disney-princ ... arch=10002
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Re: Non existant Aladdin merchandise with BR release

Post by SWillie! »

It's only because it hasn't been released in the US. You can be sure that there will be merchandise when it is, although maybe not as much as Cinderella or Peter Pan since its apparently not going to be a Diamond Edition.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

DC Fan wrote:
1. on the UK Disney Store almost nothing.
There's some new merchandise in the UK:

http://www.disneystore.co.uk/disney/sto ... A1&x=0&y=0
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Aladdin was/is a very popular movie.

On top of that, how many hero films have Disney that are popular?

And what Disney do?

Jasmine: starring Genie and Aladdin.

For a company that their main interest is just making money beyond anything else they should explode this movie, And it shouldn´t matter that´s not available in the US. There´s such a thing called world where in other countries they like the film as well.

Bruno, do you really think that´s enough amount or diverse merchandise for a film like this?
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

I'm so disappointed that Aladdin was pulled from the Diamond line. It's in my top five. :|
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Patrick wrote:I'm so disappointed that Aladdin was pulled from the Diamond line. It's in my top five. :|
Gotta suppress those radical fundamental Islamist! That will teach em!
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

At least it ports the extras od the Diamond release; mainly the 3 hour making of.

That you don´t get to see ever from Disney these days.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

I thought that this movie was about you know.... Aladdin...

Crap. Maybe it was all about Jasmine all along. After all she was the street rat and found Genie in the lamp and...

Oh wait.
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

DC Fan wrote:At least it ports the extras od the Diamond release; mainly the 3 hour making of.
Unfortunately, not all. One part of the making of is missing, as well as the Alan Menken featurette, publicity stuff and the second audio commentary (the one from the animators).
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

thelittleursula wrote:I thought that this movie was about you know.... Aladdin...

Crap. Maybe it was all about Jasmine all along. After all she was the street rat and found Genie in the lamp and...

Oh wait.

As we all know, for the longest time the main attraction for Disney was Genie until they decided to move on with Jasmine.

And although it REALLY upsets me ( :x :angry: ) I thought that at least because of that the movie will be a constant reminder of its popularity and merchandise will be available.

...how wrong I was.

Not only is everything Jasmine related but there´s not even worthy merchandise.

Disney really needs to evaluate the way the do business. I mean, sure, the Disney Princess´line is a huge hit so I´m not saying to drop it. But give it a break and let room for other type of merchandise as well.

But to make matters worse now the use space in their stores for the Marvel line (sadly, the only way they have to target boys).

I remember the times when you used to go to a Disney Store and be excited for all the variety they had.

Like I said once here:

If it was up to me, I´d have a space reserved for X months Classic. A place in the stores where every amount of time (be it each 2, 3 or 6 months) each Classic would receive the spotlight. All of them.

Could you imagine discussing around here...

"Hey guys! It´s time now for The Sword in The Stone. They have very nice things to check out."

"Rescuers fans! Already available merchandise for the first film in every Disney Store.".

Also, to make things interesting and keep up with the way of thinking of Disney every time a Classic repeats will have new merchandise (either it be most of it or some). They can even highlight a character of that movie so only at that time you´ll be able to find stuff related to that particular character. And all the characters would have their chance; as long as they had a significant part to play.

So, for example in the case of THE SWORD IN THE STONE not only will Arthur, Merlin and Madam Mim will be highlighted but even Archimedes, Sir Ector and Sir Kay will have their chance.

Oh well, one can only dream. :(
Last edited by DC Fan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
GreatGreg
Gold Classic Collection

Post by GreatGreg »

Marvel and Cars have more penetration into the boy's market than Aladdin does.

Also, ALADDIN's release is limited to the UK (and others?) and not part of it's worldwide Diamond release push this year. We might see more marketing with it next year, if they choose to release it in NA as a Diamond.

I'm surprised someone is getting upset over not enough merchandise and trinkets. Just buy a pack of Aladdin stickers, and you can make your own Aladdin toasters, coffee makers, jackets, headbands, etc. That's pretty much what you are paying for anyways.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

GreatGreg wrote:Marvel and Cars have more penetration into the boy's market than Aladdin does.

Of course. Because for the longest time Disney hasn´t tried anything else.

Back then Aladdin got lots of stuff. I mean, there was even the TV series.

Let´s say...revisit the Heroes line: (Aladdin, Tarzan, Hercules, Robin Hood...).
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

I think a supported Heroes line could be really cool. I'm not a collector of Disney merch, but I do work with it often and I love seeing the new stuff. A Heroes line seems like such a missed opportunity. I didn't know they tried it before? :o Does anyone have any background on that?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Patrick wrote:I think a supported Heroes line could be really cool. I'm not a collector of Disney merch, but I do work with it often and I love seeing the new stuff. A Heroes line seems like such a missed opportunity. I didn't know they tried it before? :o Does anyone have any background on that?
http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_111405b.htm :)
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

What I´ve seen here in Spain are few play sets with that brand related to The Sword in The Stone, Peter Pan, Robin Hood and Tarzan. And every few now and then I´d see something for Hercules, Aladdin and Phillip (Sleeping Beauty; very nice way of thinking such that a boys can relate to a Princess film).

They even tried a great redesign of the characters so to make very, very nice action figures:

After seeing this tell me it wouldn´t haven AWESOME to be a kid and actually say out loud you liked Disney up until the early teens.

Plus, you could have had this line for older kids (obviously) and keep the more child friendly line for the younger ones.
GreatGreg
Gold Classic Collection

Post by GreatGreg »

While those drawings look cool, the inherent problem with the Disney Heroes line is that there aren't many popular male lead characters in (modern) Disney animated classics.

Characters like Tarzan and Hercules did not fare as well in the theatres and thus are not major Disney characters.

The Beast, and Prince Philip, while they come from popular films, they are still secondary characters to Belle and Aurora.

Aladdin is the main character of a major blockbuster film, so he could be a good candidate, as could Simba. However, both lack the bam-pow quality of comic characters such as Iron Man, Captain America or Batman.

Disney needs to market their properties better for boys. Of course this will now all change with the purchase of Marvel and Lucasfilm -- a smart move on Disney's part. Vader/Anakin has no problems choking a low-level officer much to the delight of young boys everywhere.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

GreatGreg wrote:While those drawings look cool, the inherent problem with the Disney Heroes line is that there aren't many popular male lead characters in (modern) Disney animated classics.

Characters like Tarzan and Hercules did not fare as well in the theatres and thus are not major Disney characters.

The Beast, and Prince Philip, while they come from popular films, they are still secondary characters to Belle and Aurora.
That doesn´t need to hold Disney back.

Pocahontas is not a very particular popular film and there you have her always on the Princess´line.

As for Aurora, seems that the character itself is beloved but not so much the film itself.

Besides, more less than others but all Disney Classics are known to the public. Plus, this could be precisely the chance to make them more well known.

For instance, you could release action figures in packages of two; Aladdin with Merlin, Tarzan and Robin Hood, Hercules and Jim Hawkins.

This would be my list for the hero line:

Prince
Charming
Peter Pan
Philip
Merlin
Mowgli
Robin Hood
Eric
Beast
Simba
John Smith
Quasimodo
Phoebus
Hercules
Shang
Tarzan
Kuzco
Milo
Jim Hawkins
Naveen
Flynn

There you go. Such a long list. Yes, there are characters here that don´t fit a hero profile but the same can be said for Mulan in the Princess line. Also, I don´t expect all those characters to be main. Choose the most obvious ones to lead the line but also add some each time and rotate the secondaries.
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

You forgot Taran from The Black Cauldron!! He is more of a hero than Merlin and Kuzco!!
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Right. :)