Beauty & the Beast original colors - in upcoming platinu

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Beauty and the Beast Original Colors

Post by Disney Duster »

Well Albert, if you were truly offended, then I am sorry for you too.

Same for you, Wondy. Though when I read what Marky said I never got any insult out of it and I wonder if he was just saying "If you don't care about the classics then why would you talk about them". Not just in one sentence, but overall. Because you seemed to be more "I don't see it because I don't care" than just not seeing it. At the very least, I definately didn't feel like what he said was meant as any insult but more like "I can't believe you can't see it/don't care."

Goofystitch you have quite the good points, but I still want to remind that the idea was that animation has to be good in order to tell that story. Also, stories can often be thought to bad, quite some people think that about Disney films but never their animation. Also, people can not like a film for it's story, or not like a film for it's animation, but one thing all people know is they should never tamper with or change or alter or mess up or lose the artwork. Unless you are the original creators, I suppose, but I have already talked about this issue on why they can do whatever they want to it but release the original as well.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

...but then the masses went nuts for Evita. Will Marky soon have a similar cult?

Santa, santa Marky
Padre de todos los gnomos
De los tiranizados, de los descamisados
De los colores, de Ultimate Disney...
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

enigmawing wrote:I'd stay outta this thread myself but it's like a traffic accident. :p
WIST
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

ajmrowland wrote:
enigmawing wrote:I'd stay outta this thread myself but it's like a traffic accident. :p
WIST
rotfl

How did I miss that comment earlier?

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Escapay wrote:
ajmrowland wrote: WIST
rotfl

How did I miss that comment earlier?

albert
OMG, I've been WIST'd!!! :pink: rotfl :pink:
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I have to be honest with you guys... I think BOTH sides of the arguments are being ridiculous. Both have merit in their arguments, but right now its more about "I am right you are wrong" than discussing the value of the film.

First off, to the people against the colors, its no big deal. Yes, the film has more of a red tint to it and I personally prefer the original transfer myself, but the movie is still magical, memorable, fun and incredible. I wore out the original DVD because I watched it all the time, red colors and all.

And to those that are defending the transfer, I ask you this... why? Its obvious that many here thing that those throwing a fit over it are being silly and overly fanatic. So why are you fanning the flames, making fun of them and pretty much over arguing the issue? In a way, you too are guilty of beating a dead horse.

This is an issue that will never end, so either learn to tolerate it or move on the two of you.
ImageImageImageImage

DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Okay, I have heard that BatB will be getting its 3D release in 2011. But will its BD be released in the fall or spring? Which do you think?
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

I'm probably starting a fire by bringing back this topic that only died recently but I was watching the Lilo and Stitch teaser trailers and watched the one with the Beauty and the Beast ballroom sequence. I noticed that the colors seemed correct (hair and fur was brown, not red/orange) but were still a little bright with a bit of a yellow tint.

What I thought was weird is the Lilo and Stitch teaser and Beauty and the Beast IMAX version were probably being prepped at the same time during 2002, both supposedly using the caps source, but with different results for the colors. I really wish there was more consistency as I don't think any two Beauty and the Beast releases have had the same colors.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

And cue Marky in three, two, one...
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

jpanimation wrote:I'm probably starting a fire by bringing back this topic that only died recently but I was watching the Lilo and Stitch teaser trailers and watched the one with the Beauty and the Beast ballroom sequence. I noticed that the colors seemed correct (hair and fur was brown, not red/orange) but were still a little bright with a bit of a yellow tint.

What I thought was weird is the Lilo and Stitch teaser and Beauty and the Beast IMAX version were probably being prepped at the same time during 2002, both supposedly using the caps source, but with different results for the colors. I really wish there was more consistency as I don't think any two Beauty and the Beast releases have had the same colors.
I think we'll get the 'IMAX' colors on the Blu-ray (I call them IMAX, because I can't think of another name to distinguish it from the laserdisc colors). There have been multiple trailers and they all looked the same to me. That would mean that the dvd simply had it's colors wrong, since there it looks slightly different. Probably the low bitrate has something to do with that. I'm sure the new release will look fine, though.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Well, here is the comparison I mentioned a couple of posts up between the Lilo and Stitch teaser and the Platinum Edition DVD.

Keep in mind that both of these digital transfers from the CAPS source arrived on the DVD format in 2002. Not only are the colors from the Lilo and Stitch teaser better looking (still looks a little warm and bright), but I definitely prefer the un-matted framing (sorry directors, it just looks cropped). I have a feeling that these may be the colors we get on the Diamond Edition. If that's the case, even thought they're not ideal, I can live with them.

BTW, sorry for bumping an old thread out of bordom :P
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

The screencaps from the Lilo & Stitch-dvd look a lot better than those from the Platinum dvd.
Disney Duster

Beauty and the Beast: Original Colors

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea.

I like those Lilo & Stitch colors, but Belle's lips look pinker in the Platinum, that's the only thing better. Unless she's not supposed to be a girl who wears make-up. Unless her lips would be naturally pink. I dunno, whatever the original creators originally wanted, did they want pink lips and yet didn't get them first time around?

For anyone who didn't see it before, you can tell there is more depth and difference between shadow and light in the Lilo & Stitch-more-like-the-original colors.

But what makes you think those are exactly what we are getting? That's from such an old trailer! Also, the original colors I think were just a little too dark, and I think this Lilo & Stitch version is a slight improvement.
Jackoleen
In The Vaults

Confused...

Post by Jackoleen »

Dear Disney Enthusiasts,

Thank you, jpanimation for posting the stills, but I'm confused. Were the first images from each set lifted from the "Lilo and Stitch" previews, and were the second images from each set lifted from the 2001 Platinum edition DVD?

Were the original colors shown in the "Lilo and Stitch" previews?

With regards to my personal preferences, I believe that BOTH transfers are cool in certain ways..., and that BOTH transfers are less cool in other ways...

TRANSFER 1 ("NATURAL")

* Some of the colors seem to be slightly bland...
* The ballroom ceiling really pops!
* Belle's hair looks to be less "illustrated" when we're looking at her from the back...

TRANSFER 2 ("GOLDEN AND PINK")

* Belle's skin tone looks more pink
* The golden glow of everything is cool
* The golden glow causes some of the colors to loose their "pop" factor!

I'm so annoyed that Disney is makin' us choose! I don't understand why they didn't just ever so slightly enhance the colors that were already there...

Thank you in advance for your replies.
:?:
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen

-------------------------------

I wish to be seduced in a royal Asian locale!
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Re: Confused...

Post by jpanimation »

Disney Duster wrote:But what makes you think those are exactly what we are getting?
IDK, I just have a bad feeling that we won't be getting the original colors but something like this, where it's just a slight improvement. I guess I've lowered my expectations on just about everything from Disney to rock bottom levels so I won't be as disappointed as I have been with them recently.
Jackoleen wrote:Were the original colors shown in the "Lilo and Stitch" previews?
No.

The original colors were shown in theaters, on VHS, on Laserdisc, and were used in all publicity prior to the Platinum Edition DVD's release. In fact, the original colors were used to promote the IMAX and Platinum Edition releases (where you can clearly see the Human Again sequence with the original color scheme). Here are the original colors as I believe them to be:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vvc8GEPXyUE?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vvc8GEPXyUE?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nXFrI8pHP5E?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nXFrI8pHP5E?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

and here is comparisons I did with brand new high quality press images Disney released for this upcoming Diamond Edition:

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 413#510413

Just to get you all caught up :wink:
Jackoleen
In The Vaults

Thanks, etc.

Post by Jackoleen »

Dear Disney Enthusiasts,

Thank you, jpanimation, for the info.

I think that the most interesting aspect of the change in coloration is the fact that someone's perceptions about a character's looks can change.

I mean, of course, that Belle, who used to look like a true brunette with green, or maybe hazel eyes, now looks like a light-brown-eyed, red-haired girl...

Thank you in advance for your replies.
:idea:
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen

-------------------------------

I wish to be seduced in a royal Asian locale!
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

^^The second video is just breathtaking! So pristine, so beautiful. Makes me wanna watch the DV... er... VHS!
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Now that the Diamond Edition is out (the colors are still F*d up), I thought I'd make some comparisons showing all the different colors Beauty and the Beast has had over the years (which is weird, as a CAPS films shouldn't be changing colors at all).

Image Image Image

These are LARGE images, so be sure to blow them up to properly see the comparisons.

As you can see, the Diamond Edition colors are nothing like what was in The Princess in the Frog trailer. Why those colors weren't used is anybody's guess but the Diamond Edition ones look even oranger than the Platinum Edition ones.
Last edited by jpanimation on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JustOneBite87 »

The saddest part in my opinion is that no one in the world seems to notice except the enthusiast like us here on the forum. I can't find anything else on the internet discussing the extreme changes in the color palate on this film.
filmmusic
Limited Issue

Post by filmmusic »

Thank God that I still have my VHS. Beauty and the Beast is the only reason I haven't thrown away my VCR. So as to be able to watch it, as it is supposed to be..
I still remember the first day I got the VHS, I watched it 3 times! In the morning, at noon, and in the evening. Too bad that we can't see the film we love in it's original form..

The thing I still can't understand, is why they changed the colors only in this film and not others...
it was the only "dark" one for them?