Rank the WDAS sequels

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Rank the WDAS sequels

Post by D82 »

Now that the studio has made a considerable number of sequels (five), I thought it could be a good moment to start ranking them. What do you think?

Here are the sequels WDAS has released so far in order of release:

- The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
- Fantasia 2000 (1999)
- Winnie the Pooh (2011)
- Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018)
- Frozen II (2019)

I've seen that some people also consider The Three Caballeros a sequel. I'm not sure if it really is one or not, so I haven't listed it, but if you consider it as such, you can include it in your ranking.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Re: Rank the WDAS sequels

Post by Musical Master »

1. Frozen II
2. Fantasia 2000
3. The Rescuers Down Under
4. Winnie the Pooh
5. Ralph Breaks the Internet
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It's weird for me to call Fantasia 2000 and Winnie the Pooh sequel because Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 are not really films with a plot, so Fantasia 2000 isn't so much a continuation of Fantasia.
By the time Winnie the Pooh came out there were so many Winnie the Pooh films that I just consider it part of thise even if this one was made by WDAS and The Many Adventure of Winnie the Pooh isn't really a film, but three shorts combined together. So we might say that Winnie the Pooh is actually the only feature length film of WDAS.

With that being said here is my ranking:
1. Frozen II
2. Fantasia 2000
4. Winnie the Pooh
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeverLand »

1. Fantasia 2000
2. Frozen II
4. Winnie the Pooh
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I've seen that some people also consider The Three Caballeros a sequel. I'm not sure if it really is one or not, so I haven't listed it, but if you consider it as such, you can include it in your ranking.
It counts to Disney. They advertised it as a sequel when they released it with Saludos Amigos as a 2-movie collection on DVD and Blu-ray.

From the press release:
Embark on thrilling adventures to South America and Mexico in two full-length movies, Saludos Amigos and its sequel The Three Caballeros together for the first time in one DVD collection!
Source: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Classic-Caba ... os/9188958

My ranking:

01. Fantasia 2000
02. Rescuers Down Under
03. The Three Caballeros
04. Winnie the Pooh
05. Ralph Breaks the Internet

I didn't include Frozen 2 as I didn't get a chance to watch it yet.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

1. Frozen II
2. Fantasia 2000
3. Winnie the Pooh
4. The Rescuers Down Under
5. The Three Caballeros
6. Ralph Breaks the Internet

I'm not really fond of Disney's official sequels tbh and I only really like the first two in my list.

I'm more critical of Winnie the Pooh and The Rescuers Down Under because I loved the first installments and I didn't think either "sequel" was really a worthy follow-up. That statement is increased by 10x for WIR2 which I think is one of the worst Disney films ever created.

I'm mixed on The Three Cabelleros because I love the Mary Blair segment and the psychedelic animation but I despise the characterization of Donald and how the women are sexualized in this film. That alone dates the film and makes me put it near the bottom.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

2. The Rescuers Down Under ~ I always preferred this to the first one.
3. Fantasia 2000
4. Ralph Breaks the Internet ~ I don't hate it, but not really interested in seeing it again. About the same as the original.
5. Winnie the Pooh ~ Somehow they managed to make the whole thing feel as boring as possible despite Pooh having had dozens of other, lower quality sequels and off-shoots that I don't mind at all and of course almost all the new voice actors took me right out of it.

I'm just assuming Frozen II will be my #1 once I see it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:It counts to Disney. They advertised it as a sequel when they released it with Saludos Amigos as a 2-movie collection on DVD and Blu-ray.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know they had publicly advertised it as a sequel. It's curious, just the other day I read a tweet by Amy Astley, who is the Vice President of Communications and Publicity at Walt Disney Animation Studios, which said the following:
Amy Astley: I’ve seen some inaccurate reporting about @DisneyAnimation and our history of sequels. Respectfully, #Frozen2 is our 4th. And our first musical sequel. Out of 58 films and over 80 years of feature film-making. Other divisions made the direct-to-DVD sequels. Thanks!

Kirsten:
The Rescuers Down Under
Fantasia 2000
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Frozen 2

Think I got them. That's some good trivia.

Amy Astley: You got it!
Source: https://twitter.com/AmyAstley/status/12 ... 0507438086

If I remember correctly, Peter Del Vecho also said the same recently. I guess Disney changes their number of sequels whenever it suits them. They're probably ignoring The Three Caballeros and Winnie the Pooh now, so they can say Frozen 2 is their first musical sequel.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I guess Disney changes their number of sequels whenever it suits them. They're probably ignoring The Three Caballeros and Winnie the Pooh now, so they can say Frozen 2 is their first musical sequel.
Yep. That's what I think too. And also to boast that WDAS doesn't do a lot of sequels.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:And also to boast that WDAS doesn't do a lot of sequels.
Yes, that too.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I know my ranking will surprise you, but this is how I'd rank them right now:

1. The Rescuers Down Under
2. Fantasia 2000
3. Winnie the Pooh
4. The Three Caballeros
6. Frozen II

I didn't hate Frozen 2; there were things I really liked about it, but there were also so many things that didn't make sense, weren't developed enough or were left unexplained that, for the moment, I think it's my least favorite. However, I think it's possible that it could grow on me after I've seen it more times, as it happened to me with Ralph Breaks the Internet. I still think that film is one of the worst from the revival, but I had less problems with it on my second viewing (I still hate the scenes with the Princesses, though). In my opinion, Ralph at least has a better story than Frozen 2, and interesting world-building.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't think they are ignoring Winnie the Pooh. I think, just like I said earlier, that they don't consider The Many Adventure of Winnie the Pooh to be a feature film.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote: I didn't hate Frozen 2; there were things I really liked about it, but there were also so many things that didn't make sense, weren't developed enough or were left unexplained that, for the moment, I think it's my least favorite. However, I think it's possible that it could grow on me after I've seen it more times, as it happened to me with Ralph Breaks the Internet. I still think that film is one of the worst from the revival, but I had less problems with it on my second viewing (I still hate the scenes with the Princesses, though). In my opinion, Ralph at least has a better story than Frozen 2, and interesting world-building.
I agree with you. However for me personally I don't like Ralph while I do like Anna and Elsa, even if they are in the film whose story is not so good. I guess my emotional investment in the characters triumphed the others, even if they are better films.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:I don't think they are ignoring Winnie the Pooh. I think, just like I said earlier, that they don't consider The Many Adventure of Winnie the Pooh to be a feature film.
That makes sense because for the longest time, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh was not considered to be a feature film, especially by the animators. When the memo parodying the titles for their library of Disney films came out because of The Great Mouse Detective's title change, the package films and Pooh were all not included.

For The Fox and the Hound poster which showed their previous Disney films, only three package films were featured while Pooh was not. The Fox and the Hound was referred to as the 20th Disney film, and going by the poster, that means that Saludos Amigos, The Three Cabelleros, Melody Time, and Pooh were all excluded.

Grolier's "Magic Memories" line of Disney figurines also skipped Pooh (and the package films).
https://filmic-light.blogspot.com/2015/ ... ories.html

John Grant's Encyclopedia of Walt Disney's Animated Characters categorized the Pooh characters under "shorts" rather than "feature films." Meanwhile "Mouse Under Glass" outright skipped Pooh (as well as the package films) despite including the live-action/animation hybrid films.

So it seems as though The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh was considered a package film, or at least, not a full-fledged film for the longest time. And I know that Winnie the Pooh (2011) is not even included in the UK canon list so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets struck from the list one day, because I'm pretty sure that's the case in many other countries as well.
ImageImage
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

1. Fantasia 2000
2. The Three Caballeros
3. Frozen 2
4. The Rescuers Down Under
5. Winnie the Pooh
6. Ralph Breaks the Internet

TBH only two films here I really like, the other ones I feel have flaws or are just unwatchable.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

farerb wrote:I don't think they are ignoring Winnie the Pooh. I think, just like I said earlier, that they don't consider The Many Adventure of Winnie the Pooh to be a feature film.
But The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is part of their official canon of animated films. I think they just believe people don't remember Winnie the Pooh (which they probably prefer given how poorly it performed at the box office) and take advantage of that now that it suits them for the promotion of Frozen 2.

Thanks for all those examples, JeanGreyForever! All that info is very interesting. However, all the examples are from before the current canon was made public and I don't think they've changed it since them. I personally don't see them altering it in the near future either now that it's widely known, though who knows, they've done it before, so it's not impossible.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:For The Fox and the Hound poster which showed their previous Disney films, only three package films were featured while Pooh was not. The Fox and the Hound was referred to as the 20th Disney film, and going by the poster, that means that Saludos Amigos, The Three Cabelleros, Melody Time, and Pooh were all excluded.
I hadn't seen that poster before. Thanks for posting it! The artist who drew it is Paul Wenzel.
D82 wrote:However, all the examples are from before the current canon was made public and I don't think they've changed it since them. I personally don't see them altering it in the near future either, though who knows, they've done it before, so it's not impossible.
If Tangled hadn't been branded as the 50th onto the actual film itself, then I'd say there was a chance for the canon to change again in the future. But now that happening is next to impossible.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:If Tangled hadn't been branded as the 50th onto the actual film itself, then I'd say there was a chance for the canon to change again in the future. But now that happening is next to impossible.
It's true, I didn't remember that. That's certainly something that makes the canon difficult (if not impossible) to change, as you say.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

D82 wrote:
But The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is part of their official canon of animated films. I think they just believe people don't remember Winnie the Pooh (which they probably prefer given how poorly it performed at the box office) and take advantage of that now that it suits them for the promotion of Frozen 2.

Thanks for all those examples, JeanGreyForever! All that info is very interesting. However, all the examples are from before the current canon was made public and I don't think they've changed it since them. I personally don't see them altering it in the near future either now that it's widely known, though who knows, they've done it before, so it's not impossible.
Sotiris wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:For The Fox and the Hound poster which showed their previous Disney films, only three package films were featured while Pooh was not. The Fox and the Hound was referred to as the 20th Disney film, and going by the poster, that means that Saludos Amigos, The Three Cabelleros, Melody Time, and Pooh were all excluded.
I hadn't seen that poster before. Thanks for posting it! The artist who drew it is Paul Wenzel.
D82 wrote:However, all the examples are from before the current canon was made public and I don't think they've changed it since them. I personally don't see them altering it in the near future either, though who knows, they've done it before, so it's not impossible.
If Tangled hadn't been branded as the 50th onto the actual film itself, then I'd say there was a chance for the canon to change again in the future. But now that happening is next to impossible.
Disney is incredibly fickle and we know that little is sacrosanct when it comes to making money, and I'm not saying that to attack them. Tangled being the 50th animated feature was just a marketing strategy since it was their most expensive film up to that point and they needed it to sell. In the future, if they ever feel a desperate need to market a potential film as their 75th or 100th film ever, even if that means shifting the canon again, they'll do it in a heartbeat.

Most people probably don't care or even remember that Tangled was their 50th film and that certainly will be even more true generations from now. It's not like it's a label that Disney constantly uses to market Tangled to this day on all their home video releases, unlike say how they love to remind the public that Beauty and the Beast was the first ever animated film to be nominated for an Oscar or how Snow White was the one that started it all.
ImageImage
Mmmadelon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mmmadelon »

1. Frozen 2
2. The Rescuers Down Under
3. Ralph Breaks the Internet

I have Winnie on DVD but still never watched it :oops: Also never saw Fantasia 2000 completely, just saw some scenes. So that's why I didn't rank them.

I loved Frozen 2, always liked Rescuers 2 (although I think the first Rescuers is better) and thought Ralph 2 was just okay.