Monsters, Inc. Blu-ray

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Monsters, Inc.’s Composer Randy Newman: “I score because I care!”
http://animatedviews.com/2009/monsters- ... se-i-care/
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

Just got the Blu-ray in the mail yesterday (and I'm watching now as I type this! :P ) and it looks absolutely GORGEOUS.... not that I was expecting otherwise ;P

I just wish it didn't come in the "thicker than a DVD case" Blu-ray case, I can't stand that.

I love having the digital copy on my iPod, very cool.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

My only pick about the Picture is that Sulley's hair is a breeding ground for mild aliasing. Not much of a distraction, though.
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

dudes the picture is AWESOME my surround sound was crazy when the power was coimng off and on I'm so glad I got this :D
gregmasciola
Gold Classic Collection

Post by gregmasciola »

zackisthewalrus wrote:I agree. I was really surprised when they made the decision to include the DVD. It was just like, "Really? The majority of people buying this will be upgrading their DVD. They don't want another one." They're gonna include a DVD with all Blu releases for at least the next year, so we'll get DVDs with all catalogue releases now. Yay?

P.S. Digital copies suck too while we're at it. Haha
I really don't understand why people are always complaining about DVD copies being included with Blu-Rays. Lots of people with Blu-Ray players only have one, so if you want to watch the movie in your bedroom, but don't have a Blu-Ray player, you can watch your DVD copy. I understand some people might end up not using the DVD, but complaining about it just doesn't make any sense to me.
"If you must think, for God's sake think clearly!"

-The Great Escape
drnilescrane
Gold Classic Collection

Post by drnilescrane »

gregmasciola wrote:
zackisthewalrus wrote:I agree. I was really surprised when they made the decision to include the DVD. It was just like, "Really? The majority of people buying this will be upgrading their DVD. They don't want another one." They're gonna include a DVD with all Blu releases for at least the next year, so we'll get DVDs with all catalogue releases now. Yay?

I really don't understand why people are always complaining about DVD copies being included with Blu-Rays. Lots of people with Blu-Ray players only have one, so if you want to watch the movie in your bedroom, but don't have a Blu-Ray player, you can watch your DVD copy. I understand some people might end up not using the DVD, but complaining about it just doesn't make any sense to me.
99% of the time it is true, especially re-issues with new restorations. But this is the 2002 DVD - you know, the one everybody who would be considering this set already owns?
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I don't already own the DVD. I never owned the Pixar movies in any capacity. I'm glad to have a DVD version with it, so I can watch the movie on my laptop. I admit it's not essential, but as long as they're not adding an extra ten dollars on, I see no reason to complain.

...especially when I paid $10.99 for the whole package...
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

drnilescrane wrote:
gregmasciola wrote: I really don't understand why people are always complaining about DVD copies being included with Blu-Rays. Lots of people with Blu-Ray players only have one, so if you want to watch the movie in your bedroom, but don't have a Blu-Ray player, you can watch your DVD copy. I understand some people might end up not using the DVD, but complaining about it just doesn't make any sense to me.
99% of the time it is true, especially re-issues with new restorations. But this is the 2002 DVD - you know, the one everybody who would be considering this set already owns?
uh no I didn't have it
Just.A.Friend
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Just.A.Friend »

CampbellzSoup wrote: uh no I didn't have it
Neither did I.
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

The only problem with DVDs being included with the Blu-rays is re-buying the movies I already had on DVD (High School Musical 3 and Pinocchio being the biggest offenders, because I didn't have them for that long before I bought my HD TV and Blu-ray player) and then having a bunch of extra DVDs.

*sigh*, if only I had known that I was gonna be going Blu so soon I would've just bought the combo packs in the first place :P [/ not Disney's fault]

As for digital copies, I love 'em. It's great having them on my iPod! I hope that when the Toy Story movies are re-released they include digital copies.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

gregmasciola wrote:

I agree.
Last edited by The_Iceflash on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

@rexcrk: I know exactly how you feel.

@Everyone: Does anyone know where at the current time I can find this combo cheapest? Since I have a upgrade to blu coupon for this I'm naturally within those constraints. Thanks.
KACENAID
Gold Classic Collection

Post by KACENAID »

I just recently realized that this and the Collector's Edition DVD are now out of print. I thought Pixar films never go out of print? (unless they're reissued)

I also saw that the Collector's Edition DVD of Finding Nemo is now out of print, but I'm sure that's in preparation of the new release on December 4th, which makes sense I think.

I guess they put Monsters Inc. out of print in preparation for Monsters University? That's the only explanation I can think of right now. I think I read about a 3D re-release in January, but I don't know if that really justifies putting the other two out of print unless they're just going to reissue those with the 3D release.

Not that it's a big deal for me though, I already own it on both DVD and Blu-ray.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Re: Monsters, Inc. Blu-ray

Post by Mooky »

I have a question about UK edition of Monsters, Inc.: is/was the two-disc edition the only edition released? I ordered and just received the BD for which the product description said it had two discs, but it weighs lighter than, say, 2-disc WALL-E. The back says it includes only three BD-exclusive features: "Filmmakers' Round Table", "MI Ride and Go Seek: Building Monstroplis in Japan" and "Roz's 100 Door Challenge" game. I don't want to open it in case I have to return it.

Thanks in advance!
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I actually have a question myself: Is the recent Blu-ray that much different from the 2009 Blu-ray, save for the inclusion of Party-Saurus Rex on the former?

*checks review on Blu-ray.com*

Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

DisneyJedi wrote:I actually have a question myself: Is the recent Blu-ray that much different from the 2009 Blu-ray, save for the inclusion of Party-Saurus Rex on the former?
The 2013 CE has this:

-7.1 sound
-Partysaurus Rex
-Sneak Peek at Monsters University via Sneak Peeks

It loses out on one thing:
-Monsters, Inc. Ride and Go Seek: Building Monstropolis in Japan

Now something else to note. The 2013 CE features the current Disney logo and the end credits feature additional 3D credits. Meaning it's 2012 3D re-release seen in theaters. So if you want to enjoy the 2001 theatrical experience, hang on to the original Blu release.

Also, some slight tweaks have been made:
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/c ... 46#auswahl
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Really interesting how the first kid Mike picks out for Sulley's first scare of the day is a boy afraid of snakes (something that Dean Handscrabble touches on in the prequel for Sulley's "test").

Another question: if I ended up getting the newer Blu-ray, would it be worth it? Mind you, I got the 2009 Blu-ray back in 2010.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

DisneyJedi wrote:Another question: if I ended up getting the newer Blu-ray, would it be worth it? Mind you, I got the 2009 Blu-ray back in 2010.
Read my post above.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Mooky wrote:I have a question about UK edition of Monsters, Inc.: is/was the two-disc edition the only edition released? I ordered and just received the BD for which the product description said it had two discs, but it weighs lighter than, say, 2-disc WALL-E. The back says it includes only three BD-exclusive features: "Filmmakers' Round Table", "MI Ride and Go Seek: Building Monstroplis in Japan" and "Roz's 100 Door Challenge" game. I don't want to open it in case I have to return it.

Thanks in advance!
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

This is old news, but I just discovered it. I figured I'd share for those who may have not heard about it either. This was Pete Docter's original pitch for Monsters, Inc. While I love the movie we got, his initial concept had a lot of potential too.
Pete Docter wrote:Well, my idea was that what it was about was about a 30 year old man who is like an accountant or something, he hates his job, and one day he gets a book with some drawings in it that he did when he was a kid from his mom, and he doesn’t think anything of it and he puts it on the shelf and that night, monsters show up. And nobody else can see them. He thinks he’s starting to go crazy, they follow him to his job, and on his dates, and all this— and it turns out these monsters are fears that he never dealt with as a kid. And each one of them represents a different kind of fear. As he conquers those fears, the guys who he slowly becomes kind of friends with, they disappear as he conquers those fears. It’s this bittersweet kinda ending where they go away, and so not much of that stayed.
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/the-original- ... sters-inc/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage