Walt Disney Treasures Wave IX Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

And how about a DVD on Walt Disney World, since they already featured not one, but two DVDs on Disneyland?
gregmasciola
Gold Classic Collection

Post by gregmasciola »

Escapay wrote:If they were to go forth with a Walt Disney Treasures: Classic Chip 'n' Dale, I wouldn't mind seeing the following...

-All 23 of their shorts, including the 3-D version of "Working for Peanuts" (with a couple pairs of 3-D glasses included)
Wouldn't people need some kind of special display (as well as the glasses) to watch something in 3D at home?
"If you must think, for God's sake think clearly!"

-The Great Escape
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

gregmasciola wrote:
Escapay wrote:If they were to go forth with a Walt Disney Treasures: Classic Chip 'n' Dale, I wouldn't mind seeing the following...

-All 23 of their shorts, including the 3-D version of "Working for Peanuts" (with a couple pairs of 3-D glasses included)
Wouldn't people need some kind of special display (as well as the glasses) to watch something in 3D at home?
Reread Scaps post again he mentioned including the glasses :P Also, I doubt you need a special display, Journey To the Center of the Earth came to dvd with a 3D version (with 4 pairs of glasses! so now my imaginary friends can watch it too) so like I said I find it doubtful you need one.
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MK Sharp »

I'd quite like to see some of the Von Drake etc Wonderful World Of Colour shows released on DVD, but not as part of the Treasures series. Given the use of already released animated shorts in those shows, putting them under another line might reduce the impression of double dipping.

Ah, those shows were part of my childhood. We used to get in front of the TV every Saturday night - or was it Sunday night? - and tune in to Channel 7 - or was it Channel 9? Anyway, I have many fond memories of those shows...
"I hope we never lose sight of one thing - that this was all started by a little girl and a cat. And a rabbit."
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Chernabog_Rocks wrote:Reread Scaps post again he mentioned including the glasses :P Also, I doubt you need a special display, Journey To the Center of the Earth came to dvd with a 3D version (with 4 pairs of glasses! so now my imaginary friends can watch it too) so like I said I find it doubtful you need one.
TVs aren't set-up yet to show the polarized 3D (like IMAX). Apparently they are working on developing the technology for TVs and that will probably be the next big novelty in home entertainment. I got Shrek 3D and it came with the red/blue glasses. I can't stand those, they hurt my eyes. Can't wait for polarized 3D to hit the market.

As for Treasures:
Two follow-ups to last year's Disneyland set would be good. The first featuring featurettes and documentaries about the parks that Disneyland spawned (Orlando, Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong). The second set featuring Yesterland attractions; all those attractions that are no longer at the parks. Don't know how much video footage they have of such attractions, but I'd love to revisit Adventure thru Inner Space.
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

A great Treasures would comprise films that were once attractions at Disneyland and the other parks:

Mouseketeer 3-D Jamboree, America the Beautiful, The Story of Oil, The Walt Disney Story, American Journeys, Magic Journeys, Captain EO, Wonders of China, pre and post show films, etc.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

merlinjones wrote:A great Treasures would comprise films that were once attractions at Disneyland and the other parks:

Mouseketeer 3-D Jamboree, America the Beautiful, The Story of Oil, The Walt Disney Story, American Journeys, Magic Journeys, Captain EO, Wonders of China, pre and post show films, etc.
:o I have wanted one of these, too! I had forgotten about the idea, though! I don't know how much restoration they'll need, but I can't see this kind of set taking too much work on their part...Leonard could give a little backstory on each attraction, and one of the bonus features could be an art gallery of concept art and posters...
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Has it been mentioned in this thread that Leonard wanted to do a 3D Treasure right in Wave 1 and include the Mousketeer jamboree and other 3D stuff? But Disney vetoed because home technology wasn't good enough.

Anyway, an interesting blog here worth reading regarding Treasures content: http://thedisneydigest.blogspot.com/
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

That reminds me, Magic Highway USA should have been on the Tomorrowland set. It's an excellent short and would have been perfect for that set.
blaing
Special Edition

Post by blaing »

MK Sharp wrote:Ah, those shows were part of my childhood. We used to get in front of the TV every Saturday night - or was it Sunday night? - and tune in to Channel 7 - or was it Channel 9? Anyway, I have many fond memories of those shows...
The Wonderful World of Disney aired in Australia (at least in Sydney anyway) on Sunday nights at 6.30 (until around the mid 1980s) on the Nine Network

Sometime after 1986, Seven got the broadcast rights here

Crikey! That brings back a few memories
Gregbert

Post by Gregbert »

I noticed a few people want to see Song of the South as a Disney Treasure. If this film is ever released, it will never be part of the Treasures line. There is going to be so much attention/promotion/media on this title that it will get a complete release of its own just like all of the other Disney features.

It deserves to have it's own release instead of being under the banner of Walt Disney Treasures. At least, that's how I see it.
chadhobbick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by chadhobbick »

True, SotS will never be in the WDT line, but if it was it would give some much needed attention and publicity to the line that is sorely lacking.
I find you pompous, judgemental, and completely self-absorbed.........would you be my friend?
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

chadhobbick wrote:True, SotS will never be in the WDT line.
Well, look at how they released "The Reluctant Dragon" and "Victory Through Air Power" on DVD. Frankly, I could care less how it's released. All I care about is that they just get 'er done!
a-net-fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by a-net-fan »

Gregbert wrote:I noticed a few people want to see Song of the South as a Disney Treasure. If this film is ever released, it will never be part of the Treasures line. There is going to be so much attention/promotion/media on this title that it will get a complete release of its own just like all of the other Disney features.

It deserves to have it's own release instead of being under the banner of Walt Disney Treasures. At least, that's how I see it.

The thing about the Treasures Series is that they are willing to release footage that is considered controversial in this line. Given that the studio doesnt seem to want to release this title on the grand scal they do with many of their releases due to some of the content some find offensive, the Trueasures line is our best bet at getting this movie released in North America. Really if you ask me its a perfect fit. :)
JUST ANOTHER 27 YEAR OLD DISNEY BUFF.....
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

a-net-fan wrote:
Gregbert wrote:I noticed a few people want to see Song of the South as a Disney Treasure. If this film is ever released, it will never be part of the Treasures line. There is going to be so much attention/promotion/media on this title that it will get a complete release of its own just like all of the other Disney features.

The thing about the Treasures Series is that they are willing to release footage that is considered controversial in this line. Given that the studio doesnt seem to want to release this title on the grand scal they do with many of their releases due to some of the content some find offensive, the Trueasures line is our best bet at getting this movie released in North America. Really if you ask me its a perfect fit. :)
Good point!

Darby
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I've always felt that the fact SOTS hasn't been given a domestic release but only international ones is the height of Disney hypocrisy! (I have the Japanese import).

SOTS with a L Maltin intro explaining the time it was made would be all that is needed. I actually think there would be a lot less controversy than Disney fears. GWTW, the Little Rascals, the Mickey/Judy musicals, hell even Holiday Inn and the Jazz Singer are all available with little or no upset!

This situation always pisses me off so badly!

Jon
mvd24
Limited Issue

Post by mvd24 »

My guess/wish for next year's treasures:

1. Zorro.
containing the four shows from the "Disneyland" programme

2. Disney Rarities Volume 2
With on disc 1, the remaining theatrically released animated shorts of Walt's era (Chip & Dale, Susie, Casey, 2 Goofy shorts etc.)
+ some laugh-o-grams and Alice comedies.
And on disc 2, theatrically released animated shorts up to today
(the small one, it's tough to be a bird etc.)

I know some people might say that the treasures-line is only for material from Walt's time, but they've already done a similar thing with "Mickey in living color volume 2"
Those three shorts (Christmas Carol etc.) will obviously not be included on this set.

3. Elfego Baca Volume 2
Containing the rest of the series

4. The Swamp Fox Volume 2
Containing the rest of the series

I think the first two are pretty realistic.
Elfego and Swamp Fox less, but it would be nice to have them completed.

If Disney decided to release this material though, I wouldn't be surprised if they released them in two combined sets of "Legendary Heroes". Like the first Elfego/Swamp Fox set. This way, if people are only interested in one of the two shows, they would still have to buy the two sets!

Oh, and if Song of the South would get it's own release, then my year would be great!
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

I really believe we'll have a Zorro set, either a possible 2 wave set or 1 wave set. I'd honestly would love to own a Zorro, one of the series I recall watchin on Vault Disney when I was growin up. Maybe we'll finaly see "Gallagher" released, it's been ages since I've seen that series.

Gallagher: The adventures of Gallagher, an Old West newspaper copyboy with a nose for news, who longs to become a reporter.
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

Aside from the three shorts in Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh didn't the Disney company also make a few other Winnie the Pooh cartoons? If so that would make a rather interesting animated set. They could even include some of the stuff from the 80's perhaps if there's anything there that can be added in.
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

If I Could Have Wave IX My Way...

Post by Rudy Matt »

If I could have Wave IX my way...

Zorro -- restored to the original glorious black and white -- is a no-brainer. The colorized set from the Disney Movie Club is very disappointing.

People and Places -- this Oscar-winning series on different world cultures has never been released on home video. It is long overdue.

Rarities Vol. II -- All the things you guys have already mentioned from Walt's era -- throw on some of the unique shorts post-Walt like Kurt Russell's Dad Can I Borrow the Car? and you've got a winner.

If we have to get more TV collections, then aside from Zorro, Gallagher is a good choice, though I'd prefer Tales of Texas John Slaughter. I'm on hurry to "complete" Swamp Fox as I think its a weak point in Disney's body of work. Elfego Baca, on the other hand, was absolutely wonderful. They never should have combined the two.

I know this is squrrely, but I have a soft spot for Disney's making of TV specials...the famous "Operation Undersea", and other episodes like the making of Swiss Family Robinson ("And now, the Swiss Family Robinson calypso!"), Lady and the Tramp and others...I don't know what you'd call it, but I'd love to see that far more than another round of Mickey Mouse Club serials.