Walt Disney Treasures Wave IX Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

My dream Wave IX would be Zorro, Rarities vol. 2, and People and Places vol. 1. If they would do 4 volumes, than I think I would like a Ludwig Von Drake set.

Anyways, if they were going to round out the series at X waves, I think they could finish off People and Places, do an educational set, and I think it would be neat to have the final two weeks of the original Mickey Mouse Club (we got the first week from when it was an hour long, so we should have the final two for when it was a half hour long).
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

>>Ranger Woodlore had at least two hour long programs on the Disney anthology series. "Ranger Woodlore's Guide to Nature" I believe was the title of one of them. At the moment, the other is slipping my mind...<<

Three:

A Ranger's Guide to Nature
Nature's Better Built Homes
The Ranger of Brownstone
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

merlinjones wrote:>>Ranger Woodlore had at least two hour long programs on the Disney anthology series. "Ranger Woodlore's Guide to Nature" I believe was the title of one of them. At the moment, the other is slipping my mind...<<

Three:

A Ranger's Guide to Nature
Nature's Better Built Homes
The Ranger of Brownstone
Maybe the missing one you're thinking of is "Nature's Charter Tours"?
kaijueguy

Jiminy, People and Places, Zorro, Ludwig

Post by kaijueguy »

My brain hurts in anticipation of the next wave. I'd be extremely excited about a set of the Jiminy shorts and the People and Places series. These are basically untouched in any format on DVD. The Jiminy shorts were available on way over-priced educational DVD's but they've been pulled from the Educational part of the Disney site. I'm thinking that makes them a strong contender for a future treasures release, or at least it's my part of wishful thinking.

In my opinion, the People and Places desperately need to be released since the Treasures sets are WALT DISNEY Treasures and they're quickly becoming a forgotten part of Disney. Glad to see so many people who want to see these released.

The possibility of a Zorro set is great news but I'm still waiting for Destino, which was promised as a future legacy set. Actually I was kind of hoping that we have annual releases of both Treasures and Legacy series but I would assume the legacy series is dead.

I've spent the last year transferring my old worn out VCR recordings of the Anthology Series and some of them are in pretty bad shape but it's still better than anything on the Dinsey Channel right now. It's also great that the movie club finally released vol 3, 4 and 5 of Zorro season 2. They're on the way.
Alcazam
Limited Issue

Post by Alcazam »

stewie15 wrote:http://www.ultimatedisney.com/platinume ... 91011.html

this press release clearly states "In conjunction with these releases, Destino, the unfinished animated feature film created by Walt Disney and famed surrealist painter Salvador Dali will release. Begun in 1946, it was rediscovered in 2003 and completed by Walt’s nephew, Roy E. Disney. The collaboration between these two legendary artists will be available to own for the first time along with an all-new feature-length documentary that examines the surprising partnership between Dali and Disney." So there's little chance it gunna be included in any treasures wave. So I think we can stop talking about Destino and its release now. Its official.
In the press release Destino is described as a feature film. I thought it was only a short film? What is the actual running time of Destino?
Wisedom comes suddenly
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

I'd like to personally see a reissue of one from of the first few waves thrown in the next set. I'd like to see 4 Treasures in wave 9 and one of them be a reissue. The other three Treasures would be new. One an animated set (Ex: Jiminy Cricket, etc) , A wonderful world of Disney Set (Zorro), and either a Mickey Mouse Club serial or a second rarities set or another animated set.

I was only 13 when the first wave came out and I never knew the treasure sets existed till 2004 when I got my first ones.
mrfivefingers

Post by mrfivefingers »

Alcazam wrote: In the press release Destino is described as a feature film. I thought it was only a short film? What is the actual running time of Destino?
The short itself is 7minutes long so no ware near feature length, The Feature film is a new documentary about the collaboration between Dali and Disney.

I'd personally love to actually get treasures, In the U.K they stopped producing them after the first wave so the only way we get to see them is though importing which is extremely costly, especially on some of the rarer one's.
Puppetry, Animation and More!
www.frankie-productions.com
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

mrfivefingers wrote:
Alcazam wrote: In the press release Destino is described as a feature film. I thought it was only a short film? What is the actual running time of Destino?
The short itself is 7minutes long so no ware near feature length, The Feature film is a new documentary about the collaboration between Dali and Disney.

I'd personally love to actually get treasures, In the U.K they stopped producing them after the first wave
so the only way we get to see them is though importing which is extremely costly, especially on some of the rarer one's.
Not to mention the rarer ones you come across may or may not be real. (Another reason those need to be re-issued)
Mayhem
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mayhem »

Importing them? Costly? Nah, not really, I've been buying them on release since wave 3. Generally $25 each through Amazon plus another $6-7 for shipping on top. Until the exchange rate tanked in the last few months, these were reasonably cheap overall.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

I just finished watching the Anette set in pretty much one sitting and I loved it! I found it amazing how surprisingly engaging the series was, or how much I loathed Laura (what a bitch, and an attention whore too!) and how much I loved everyone else (especially Annette).

The bonuses were great and I found the "To Annette, With Love" featurette to be very touching. If only I could get "Tall Paul" out of my head.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

So would anyone like to see anything from older waves re-released? I'd like the rarest of the treasures re-released. (Not all at once but maybe one re-release per wave)
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

goofystitch wrote:My dream Wave IX would be Zorro, Rarities vol. 2, and People and Places vol. 1. If they would do 4 volumes, than I think I would like a Ludwig Von Drake set.

Anyways, if they were going to round out the series at X waves, I think they could finish off People and Places, do an educational set, and I think it would be neat to have the final two weeks of the original Mickey Mouse Club (we got the first week from when it was an hour long, so we should have the final two for when it was a half hour long).
Thats pretty close to mine. I could do with or without Zorro given the Disney Movie Club has the Complete First Season but the rest of them are what I would like to see.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

The_Iceflash wrote:So would anyone like to see anything from older waves re-released? I'd like the rarest of the treasures re-released. (Not all at once but maybe one re-release per wave)
If you asked me a year ago, I'd have said "Davy Crockett" as I didn't have it yet, but I found it used at Suncoast a month ago so I have it already. ;)

If anything, I'd like for them to revisit a "complete" set (the cartoon shorts, for example) as boxsets. Like a complete "Mickey Mouse In Living Colour" set of the four discs from the two volumes. Or "The Chronological Donald" in an eight-disc set. Though if I had my druthers, it'd be a nine-disc set (sure to piss off those who bought volume by volume like I did, though I missed out on V3), as it'd contain a documentary about Donald, a couple Donald-centric "Disneyland" episodes, the shorts that weren't included in V4, and the rest of his Mickey Mouse Works material.

I would love for them to release the rest of the "Disneyland" serials that still haven't had a release (Texas John Slaughter, Gallegher, and the little-mentioned Moochie, among others) before they re-release stuff, though. The problem with that is the Treasures series is so limited (a finite amount of two-disc sets each year, with great restorations but sometimes not-too-hefty bonus features), so it'd take awhile for these serials to be completed. Something as lengthy as "Texas John Slaughter" would likely have been split into three Treasures sets when it'd benefit from a single non-Treasures release that collected all 17 episodes and the edited-together-as-movies versions. But we know the latter will never happen as Disney all-but-ignores its live-action catalogue when it comes to general release.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Escapay wrote:
The_Iceflash wrote:So would anyone like to see anything from older waves re-released? I'd like the rarest of the treasures re-released. (Not all at once but maybe one re-release per wave)
If you asked me a year ago, I'd have said "Davy Crockett" as I didn't have it yet, but I found it used at Suncoast a month ago so I have it already. ;)

If anything, I'd like for them to revisit a "complete" set (the cartoon shorts, for example) as boxsets. Like a complete "Mickey Mouse In Living Colour" set of the four discs from the two volumes. Or "The Chronological Donald" in an eight-disc set. Though if I had my druthers, it'd be a nine-disc set (sure to piss off those who bought volume by volume like I did, though I missed out on V3), as it'd contain a documentary about Donald, a couple Donald-centric "Disneyland" episodes, the shorts that weren't included in V4, and the rest of his Mickey Mouse Works material.

I would love for them to release the rest of the "Disneyland" serials that still haven't had a release (Texas John Slaughter, Gallegher, and the little-mentioned Moochie, among others) before they re-release stuff, though. The problem with that is the Treasures series is so limited (a finite amount of two-disc sets each year, with great restorations but sometimes not-too-hefty bonus features), so it'd take awhile for these serials to be completed. Something as lengthy as "Texas John Slaughter" would likely have been split into three Treasures sets when it'd benefit from a single non-Treasures release that collected all 17 episodes and the edited-together-as-movies versions. But we know the latter will never happen as Disney all-but-ignores its live-action catalogue when it comes to general release.

albert
I guess there's hope yet in finding some of those used in stores. (Especially one like Davy Crockett that was part of the first wave. I'd probably be in shock if I saw that one used in Suncoast. lol What did they charge for it considering the rarity of it?)

I'd like a Mickey Mouse in Living Color 4 Disc set as I was unfortunate in getting either of them individually. I would like the Complete Goofy and Silly Symphonies to come back somehow as well. Since there was a sync issue with Mickey Mouse in Living Color vol 2 anyway, perhaps they'll fix it before mass releasing it again (replacement discs are available though..)

I'd like to see more Disneyland serials released as well. I don't honestly see Walt Disney Treasures stopping at wave 10. I definately think they'll go on past that before ending.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

The_Iceflash wrote:(Especially one like Davy Crockett that was part of the first wave. I'd probably be in shock if I saw that one used in Suncoast. lol What did they charge for it considering the rarity of it?)
It was $50 (ouch), which was $29 more than Disney Movie Club was charging, but I've got no plans on joining the DMC, and Davy Crockett is worth $50 anyway.

I had a much luckier break a couple weeks after that find, as I was at a local music/movie store called Tunes, and they had a BRAND NEW "Disneyland USA" tin (blue band, original stickers on tin, etc.) for only $17.99. So I like to think the two balanced each other out.

Still, as glad as I am for those two rare finds, I'm still hunting Chronological Donald Volume Three in brick-and-mortar stores before I resort to the online scalpers who are charging over $80 for them.
The_Iceflash wrote:I don't honestly see Walt Disney Treasures stopping at wave 10.
Neither do I, though I have a feeling there may not be that many years left to the series. And given Disney's stupid print run for the past few waves (65,000 in 2006, 50,000 for two of them in 2007, and now 39,500 for this year), I wouldn't be surprised if they ended the series sooner rather than later.

BTW, welcome to UD and awesome screen name. Sounds like a superhero.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Escapay wrote:
The_Iceflash wrote:(Especially one like Davy Crockett that was part of the first wave. I'd probably be in shock if I saw that one used in Suncoast. lol What did they charge for it considering the rarity of it?)
It was $50 (ouch), which was $29 more than Disney Movie Club was charging, but I've got no plans on joining the DMC, and Davy Crockett is worth $50 anyway.

I had a much luckier break a couple weeks after that find, as I was at a local music/movie store called Tunes, and they had a BRAND NEW "Disneyland USA" tin (blue band, original stickers on tin, etc.) for only $17.99. So I like to think the two balanced each other out.

Still, as glad as I am for those two rare finds, I'm still hunting Chronological Donald Volume Three in brick-and-mortar stores before I resort to the online scalpers who are charging over $80 for them.
The_Iceflash wrote:I don't honestly see Walt Disney Treasures stopping at wave 10.
Neither do I, though I have a feeling there may not be that many years left to the series. And given Disney's stupid print run for the past few waves (65,000 in 2006, 50,000 for two of them in 2007, and now 39,500 for this year), I wouldn't be surprised if they ended the series sooner rather than later.

BTW, welcome to UD and awesome screen name. Sounds like a superhero.

albert
Thanks for the welcome. : )

Speaking of tunes there's actually a couple of them near me (one much closer than the other) and I go there semi-often (I also collect vinyl records so every so often I pop in and see what they have) so I might start keeping a closer eye on their DVDs.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

The_Iceflash wrote:Speaking of tunes there's actually a couple of them near me (one much closer than the other) and I go there semi-often (I also collect vinyl records so every so often I pop in and see what they have) so I might start keeping a closer eye on their DVDs.
Oh wow, I wasn't aware that there were more Tunes stores besides the two or three I've come across (with one right by a Quizno's, so usually after browsing there I head to Quizno's for a chicken carbonara :D). Which Tunes are near you?

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Escapay wrote:
The_Iceflash wrote:Speaking of tunes there's actually a couple of them near me (one much closer than the other) and I go there semi-often (I also collect vinyl records so every so often I pop in and see what they have) so I might start keeping a closer eye on their DVDs.
Oh wow, I wasn't aware that there were more Tunes stores besides the two or three I've come across (with one right by a Quizno's, so usually after browsing there I head to Quizno's for a chicken carbonara :D). Which Tunes are near you?

albert
There's a Quizno's next to mine too. :shock:

It's in NJ..
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

The_Iceflash wrote:
Escapay wrote: Oh wow, I wasn't aware that there were more Tunes stores besides the two or three I've come across (with one right by a Quizno's, so usually after browsing there I head to Quizno's for a chicken carbonara :D). Which Tunes are near you?

albert
There's a Quizno's next to mine too. :shock:
You wouldn't happen to be in the South Jersey area, would you?

Cause that would be mighty freaky if you were. :shifty:

Then again, that would be awesome as it'd mean there are more UDers in NJ beyond the New Jersey Trilogy, Matt, carolinakid, and a few more whose names I don't remember but I know they are from Jersey.

ETA:

I posted my message as you edited your so I didn't see the "It's in NJ.." part. So that means you are in NJ...and unless every Tunes has a Quizno's nearby, there's a very real possibility that we're thinking of the same one.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Escapay wrote:
The_Iceflash wrote: There's a Quizno's next to mine too. :shock:
You wouldn't happen to be in the South Jersey area, would you?

Cause that would be mighty freaky if you were. :shifty:

Then again, that would be awesome as it'd mean there are more UDers in NJ beyond the New Jersey Trilogy, Matt, carolinakid, and a few more whose names I don't remember but I know they are from Jersey.

ETA:

I posted my message as you edited your so I didn't see the "It's in NJ.." part. So that means you are in NJ...and unless every Tunes has a Quizno's nearby, there's a very real possibility that we're thinking of the same one.

albert
Yes I am. :D

It's the same one. Which means we're gonna be fighting to see who gets the good stuff. lol