The Definitive Slipcover List/Discussion: DVDs & Blu-Ray

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

Please note that Cars Ultimate Ride Bonus DVD Disc (Walt Mart Exclusive) has a slipcover!!!!!!!!!
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
Cosmic Creepers

New Slipcovers On Old DVDs: Do you like it or not?

Post by Cosmic Creepers »

Recently the Disney company has been issuing many titles on DVD with new slip covers. For instance, at Walmart there have been many titles repackaged. For Halloween 2008 Walmart issued new slipcovers on such Disney titles as "The Haunted Mansion" and the "Halloweentown" films. Then last year Walmart began selling many titles with clear plastic slipcovers with Sleeping Beauty's castle on the front. Most of these DVDs [such as "The Parent Trap" Two Movie Collection DVD] appeared to be the exact same only with the slipcase. The only differences to note on the others were the addition of the Movie Rewards logo on the packages. Then last Fall "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad" was released with special Halloween cover art. This sounded good, especially to someone like me who loves the movie, and it kind of throws you off and you think it's a new edition of the film. However, what it actually was was a new slipcover on the original Gold edition DVD. I do not understand why the people at Disney are spending so much time and money on repackaging these titles when they could be doing so much more. I do not know if they expect to attract new customers to sell off excess merchandise or if they think that all of us Disneymaniacs will just keep buying the same thing over and over [which a lot of us do]. I know that many of you have complained on this board that these so-called Special Editions that come out either have only one new aspect to the editon or something that really isn't that special at all. So, what does everyone think of these slipcovers? :mickeyface:
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I bet they wouldn't do it so much if Reyquila didn't keep buying them.
Cosmic Creepers wrote:I do not understand why the people at Disney are spending so much time and money on repackaging these titles when they could be doing so much more.
Because it's much cheaper than actually doing anything? I think you over-estimate how hard it is to do this. It's not like it's that time or resource consuming to slap a new slipcover on something, and if it's flashy enough, I'm sure it works. That's just how it is. It's also much cheaper than releasing a new DVD edition.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

my copy of chron don is in a cardboard case that folds out like a book. is that classed as a slip cover? its a region 4.

as for the covers themselves, i take them off my movies and store them for the simple fact that the case wont fit in my tower otherwise. so it doesnt bother me whether a release has a cover or not. it makes them look nice in the store, but it takes me forever to pick through them and find one with minimal dings and dents.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

I think it would be really great if we could keep this list updated. Any volunteers?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

So, when you request slipcovers from Disney, do you have to pay shipping & handling?
monorail91
Gold Classic Collection

Post by monorail91 »

Linden wrote:So, when you request slipcovers from Disney, do you have to pay shipping & handling?
Yes. I think the slipcovers themselves are free but you have to pay like 3.95 for S&H.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Linden wrote:So, when you request slipcovers from Disney, do you have to pay shipping & handling?
Wait, you can request slipcovers from Disney? I thought they didn't do that anymore?
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

You can do this? Where? How? :shock:
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Scarred4life wrote:
You can do this? Where? How? :shock:
Hey, I'm no expert. I just read the beginning of the thread (first post). :wink:

monorail91, that sucks that you have to pay $3.95 for S&H. Do you know if they raise the price if they send you more than one at once?
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Linden wrote:Hey, I'm no expert. I just read the beginning of the thread (first post). :wink:
Thank you! :) I am definetly going to check this out and see if they will still do this.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Scarred4life wrote:
Linden wrote:Hey, I'm no expert. I just read the beginning of the thread (first post). :wink:
Thank you! :) I am definetly going to check this out and see if they will still do this.
Tell us how it goes. :)
monorail91
Gold Classic Collection

Post by monorail91 »

Linden wrote:
Scarred4life wrote: You can do this? Where? How? :shock:
Hey, I'm no expert. I just read the beginning of the thread (first post). :wink:

monorail91, that sucks that you have to pay $3.95 for S&H. Do you know if they raise the price if they send you more than one at once?
Hmm not sure. When I looked into it, I just needed one slipcover, but I got turned off by the 3.95 S&H fee.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

A funny bit about the usefulness of slip-covers *Warning: foul language*

As soon as I saw that, I knew I had to post it here. :lol:
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

I'm so confused...haha

A few people are selling dvds with slipcovers that I was sure of they never were released with one, for example Pocahontas 2, Tangled, Snow White: Platinum etc...yet they have more than 99 percent positive feedback and over 1500 transactions....they also claim they are official region 1 releases. But with stock photos...I just emailed some of them to see if its possible to send real pictures...weird.

Anyone know of these releases....and are they 100 percent fake...or....?

For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Disney- ... 4cfd8bb646
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

Those sleeves are really fake. I guess they have good sales because people either don't know or care that they are fakes. Snow White never came with a sleeve. Alice, SB, and Pinocchio do, however you can tell they are fake on how the holographics are:

The Pinocchio cover should have have the star in the upper right corner shine and stream through the whole cover

Sleeping Beauty's shine glistens in certain areas of the cover not all over

Alice's cover is THAT holographic
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

Actually now that I take a second look Alice might be the real deal.. I'd have to see it in the light.. You can go to my Flickr and see which covers I photographed to determine if they're real http://www.flickr.com/photos/camfanwonderland/sets/
AliceinWonderland
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AliceinWonderland »

Khonnor wrote:I'm so confused...haha

A few people are selling dvds with slipcovers that I was sure of they never were released with one, for example Pocahontas 2, Tangled, Snow White: Platinum etc...yet they have more than 99 percent positive feedback and over 1500 transactions....they also claim they are official region 1 releases. But with stock photos...I just emailed some of them to see if its possible to send real pictures...weird.

Anyone know of these releases....and are they 100 percent fake...or....?

For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Disney- ... 4cfd8bb646
Pinocchio came with a slipcover, i have one up for trade.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

AliceinWonderland wrote:Pinocchio came with a slipcover, i have one up for trade.
I know, I own it myself. I was talking about the Snow White one and others, like Tangled and Pocahontas 2 for example.

Ichabod, The Rescuers and The Black Cauldron weren't originally released with a slipcover, but all of those came with a special slipcover for a limited time a couple years after their release. The Rescuers had a limited sleeve, Ichabod a Halloween sleeve and The Black Cauldron also had a Halloween sleeve that also contained something extra like an extra dvd or stencils.

So I thought, maybe these released also had an official re-release or something that had them with a slipcover, although I never heard about it.

On Amazon, a lot of sellers are offering the Snow White Platinum with slipcover. So annoying.

I emailed some sellers from Amazon and Ebay and asked for real pictures, but none of them have replied so far.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I'm pretty sure Disney never re-released Pocahontas II with a slipcover. I also remember people saying Disney didn't release Tangled DVDs with a slipcover, only BDs.