Sleeping Beauty DVD AND BLU-RAY Discussion Thread Vol. II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Thomas J
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thomas J »

Yayyy today's the day! I'm going straight to the Disney Store after class to get my Sleeping Beauty Blu-Ray! :D
Disney on Broadway:
Beauty and the Beast - December 2, 2006
The Lion King - February 28, 2007 & February 16, 2008
The Little Mermaid - December 12, 2007, December 22, 2007 & January 7, 2009
Mary Poppins - February 1, 2009
mommyn08

Post by mommyn08 »

cant wait to get the dvd ;) i m getting it for my daughter she is eight mnths and loves disney movies so far she is a little mermaid fan cant wait to share sleeping beauty with her im getting it from best buy for the free alarm clock for her room
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

Is there a picture of the alarm clock anywhere on the net? I personally wouldn't mind that kind of free gift :lol:
mommyn08

Post by mommyn08 »

if you go to the bestbuy.com website and type in sleeping beauty it pops up there is also a really cool sleeping beauty picture you can buy i think
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

^cool, thanks! and gosh your daughter is so lucky :lol:
mommyn08

Post by mommyn08 »

thank you ;) i love my little aubrey :) and it makes me happy to share disney movies with her its fun seeing her light up when she watchs them i m really hoping she likes sleeping beauty
Thomas J
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thomas J »

I don't think it was posted yet, but go to photobucket.com to see how they've decorated for the release of Sleeping Beauty.

Photobucket
Disney on Broadway:
Beauty and the Beast - December 2, 2006
The Lion King - February 28, 2007 & February 16, 2008
The Little Mermaid - December 12, 2007, December 22, 2007 & January 7, 2009
Mary Poppins - February 1, 2009
Drawken

Post by Drawken »

This has probably already been posted, but just wanted to share my opinion about it.

I was looking through the Sunday circulars, and lo and behold, a DVD version of the film COMES with the Blu-ray.
Seeing as I already have the first DVD release and I don't have an HD television, I can buy the Blu-Ray, watch the new DVD, and have the Blu-ray for when I DO buy an HD television.
I find that to be quite a smart move in Disney's marketing strategy.
I'm sold. (Or going to be. I don't have the money right now.)
I can't be the only one to be buying it for this reason.
Plus, for those people with kids, when they take the movie over to someone's house, and they don't have a Blu-ray player, they'll have the DVD to play.
I hope they continue this with Pinocchio.
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

If you don't have a blu ray player & bought the blu ray because you can play the dvd of the movie what about all of the special features? Are they playable on a dvd player?
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

No. You only get the special features that come on disc one if you buy the Blu Ray version. Blu Rays are not ever in any way playable on a DVD player.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
DisneyFreak5282
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFreak5282 »

I was wondering: if I buy the Blu Ray on DVD for SB, will I be able to play it on my iMac? I got it for Christmas of '07, so it's not the newest model, which was released April of this year. I know it might seem like a dumb question, but I know NOTHING about iMacs, although I got one for Christmas.
:lol:
UDer #3495 :D
egyptnation

Post by egyptnation »

does the blu-ray edition come with a slipcover?

also, why doesn't ultimatedisney review blu-ray editions? provide comparisons with the dvd edition and such...?
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

egyptnation wrote:does the blu-ray edition come with a slipcover?

also, why doesn't ultimatedisney review blu-ray editions? provide comparisons with the dvd edition and such...?
Yes.
MattDean
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MattDean »

Received my copy to the UK this morning but still haven't had time to open/watch!!!

Note to self: stop surfing the net & WATCH THE BLU-RAY!

:roll:
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

DisneyFreak5282 wrote:I was wondering: if I buy the Blu Ray on DVD for SB, will I be able to play it on my iMac? :lol:
The dvd/CD player in your iMac would have to be a blu-ray equipped drive. Normally they don't come with that kind of drive, you have to purchase them separately. Check your paperwork that came with your iMac to be sure though.

Of course you will be able to play the regular DVD bonus disc of the film that comes in the blu-ray edition just fine on your iMac if it has a regular dvd drive.
"She sailed out of the Disney-blue heavens, umbrella in hand, and promptly elicited every gorgeous adjective in the book from reviewers coast to coast."
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

egyptnation wrote:also, why doesn't ultimatedisney review blu-ray editions? provide comparisons with the dvd edition and such...?
1.) I don't think the review staff has made the costly investment in all the technology to enjoy Blu-Ray.

2.) In the review, Luke mentions that they requested a Blu-Ray version for review, but were only given the DVD.

By the way, the fantastic as expected UD review has been posted: http://www.ultimatedisney.com/sleepingb ... ition.html

I suppose I'll be double-dipping, but as of now I'm still undecided on whether or not I'm going to get rid of the old DVD. I want to have all of the features, but I don't think I'd watch them more than once every... uh, long time.
- John
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

Spectacular review as always!

Was I reading it correctly? Is the 2003 SE DVD not an OAR version of the film? If that's the case, and the PE does have the OAR, then my decision suddenly becomes easier.
"Mustard? Don't let's be silly!"
--Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

My DVDs
Marky_198
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marky_198 »

I have to say, those screenshots of the dvd look really good.
DisneyFreak5282
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFreak5282 »

Chris wrote:The dvd/CD player in your iMac would have to be a blu-ray equipped drive. Normally they don't come with that kind of drive, you have to purchase them separately. Check your paperwork that came with your iMac to be sure though.

Of course you will be able to play the regular DVD bonus disc of the film that comes in the blu-ray edition just fine on your iMac if it has a regular dvd drive.
I got it for Christmas as a gift so I don't have the paperwork. If I put the Blu-Ray disc in my computer will it damage it? Or will it just say that the disc can't be read? I know that the DVD will play in my iMac but I'm not too concerned about that because I have quite a few DVD players in my house.

Right now, it's all up in the air about which edition I want to get. I will probably wind up buying the DVD for $14.99 at Circuit City or Best Buy and maybe I'll get the Blu-Ray on Black Friday. Here's hoping it's on sale on Black Friday!
UDer #3495 :D
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Unfortunatly, I'm broke now and will have to wait a few weeks to buy the DVD. :(