Sleeping Beauty DVD AND BLU-RAY Discussion Thread Vol. II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but in searching Google Images I found the following screenshot of what appears to be the restoration process of Sleeping Beauty:

Can anyone identify what this was taken from? I originally thought it was from the Platinum Edition bonus features, but I've watched almost everything on my set and haven't come across anything detailing the visual restoration, only restoration of the soundtrack. Am I overlooking something or was the above screen grab taken from something else?
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

It's from a featurette in the 2003 Special Edition about the restoration they did for that edition. Apparently they did a totally new restoration for the PE.
I'ts enough for this restless warrior just to be with you...
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

The restorations for both editions were handled by Lowry and employed very similar restorative techniques but the major difference between the two restorations is that the Platinum Edition used the original negative and the Special Edition didn't.

Now as for the picture, it depicts outlining the characters to cut them out from the background and isolate the DNR (the backgrounds are static). When you don't outline them close enough, you can actually see a blurry DNR glow around the characters (e.g. in the newly restored Thru the Mirror Mickey Mouse short on the Alice in Wonderland Blu-Ray, you can see a DNR glow around Mickey blurring the background as he dances on the top hat ).
WaltDisneyFanBoy
Limited Issue

Post by WaltDisneyFanBoy »

Can someone post a link to the first topic?
SmartAleck25
Special Edition

Post by SmartAleck25 »

jpanimation wrote:The restorations for both editions were handled by Lowry and employed very similar restorative techniques but the major difference between the two restorations is that the Platinum Edition used the original negative and the Special Edition didn't.

Now as for the picture, it depicts outlining the characters to cut them out from the background and isolate the DNR (the backgrounds are static). When you don't outline them close enough, you can actually see a blurry DNR glow around the characters (e.g. in the newly restored Thru the Mirror Mickey Mouse short on the Alice in Wonderland Blu-Ray, you can see a DNR glow around Mickey blurring the background as he dances on the top hat ).
I think of it like using Photoshop, you painstakingly (these restorers even more so) outline a portion of an image with the lasso tool, then you enhance the saturation and tinker around with other enhancements to make it better. I can't imagine doing that for all the frames of a movie though. Is that what it's like?