Sleeping Beauty DVD AND BLU-RAY Discussion Thread Vol. II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Flower's Friend
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Flower's Friend »

Barbossa wrote:Here's the film cel I got at Future Shop today:

The card is about 7.25" x 5.25" and the cel is about 2.125" x 1.875"
I pre-ordered a copy of the new Sleeping Beauty dvd edition from both the Disney store and Fye.com. One of them I will keep and the other is a gift for my sister. Anyways since I pre-ordered the new Sleeping Beauty dvd from Fye, I get a film cell from the movie. I am curious if my film cell will be the same as the film cell from Future Shop.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

I just finished watching Sleeping Beauty on regular DVD. It looked great. Now I'm going to check out the extra features.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Oooooooooo... One mowing job and I've got it!

Judging from my computer, the restoration looks fantastic! I think I'm going to buy both the DVD and Blu-Ray now.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Re: Sleeping Beauty: Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Disney Duster wrote:Flam-Ham, I can't believe you're not re-buying your favorite films on Blu-ray. Is Sleeping Beauty your #1 favorite? Maybe Peter Pan ain't one of your favs, but Cinderella is. And to be honest, the encoding or something is wrong with Cinderella on DVD that even 2009net noticed. Well, it figures for someone who loves the parks more. But if you love being immersed into a world like only a park in your face can, why wouldn't you try to get the best definition, closest to being up-close and life-like and immersive, for you favorite films?
Yes SB is #1 on the animated list and it's the first one out. I just don't want to spend all that money rebuying everything. It took my, what, a decade to replace all my VHSs with DVDs and now I have to do it all over again? No way. For Cinderella, I saw the clips on the bonus features and I wasn't exactly dazzled. It and other older DAC are to simple in design to really be truly amazing in high def (how detailed can a one colour background get?). Oh and the scene where Cindy walks into the palace was shown and her dress is still light blue so I doubt that "wrong doing" is the result of encoding because they could have fixed it for that clip.

I'll buy Pinocchio on Blu because I never did replace the VHS I have with DVD, but Snow White. Fantasia and Beauty and the Beast? No, definitely not.
2099net
Signature Collection

Re: Sleeping Beauty: Platinum Edition

Post by 2099net »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:It and other older DAC are to simple in design to really be truly amazing in high def (how detailed can a one colour background get?). Oh and the scene where Cindy walks into the palace was shown and her dress is still light blue so I doubt that "wrong doing" is the result of encoding because they could have fixed it for that clip.
The flaws in the Cinderella disc I mention are not the colours (which I'm happy with more or less) but shoddy, over compression (just so nonsense like the ESPN Cinderella Stories could be included). Pause the disc and you'll see buckets of mosquito noise and Mpeg blocking which is what I believe is affecting some of the art work lines. Admittedly, like the Beauty and the Beast DVD, you don't tend to notice it as much when everything is in motion. By the by, the advanced codecs of Blu-ray mean these shouldn't be an issue on the eventual Blu-Cindy release.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

How much longer do you think the Blu-Ray will be out? Because my family and I won't be getting a player or an HDTV until summer.
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

I doubt they'll put it back into the vault before the DVD, so it's safe to say after next summer :D
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Well, I just finished watching the DVD version of the Platinum all day yesterday and last night (I also bought the Blu-ray, but probably won't be getting a player until Christmas). And I only have one thing to say: wow. This DVD is everything I has hoping for and more, and I really don't even know where to begin.

I think the first thing that really grabbed me when I started to watch it was the soundtrack. As soon as Hail To The Princess Aurora came on, I was floored by the new restored soundtrack. The chorus sounded a lot fuller and more majestic than on the soundtrack CD and the old Special Edition. Also there were trumpet counterharmonies to the main trumpet melodies that were washed out before, that I was surprised to hear how clear they sounded now too. The sound effects and the rest of the soundtrack was equally as stunning I thought, and you can definitely hear the music a lot more louder and clearer now than on the SE.

Another thing I particularly adored was the restoration of the picture. All the characters and backgrounds were so crystal clear I was amazed looking at their details. The forest scene was particularly beautiful I thought, especially all the different vivid hues of the warm and cold blues, greens, and browns that were brought out in it. I was also happy to see Aurora actually look more like a golden blonde now too, and seeing that Phillip's hair is a bit reddish-brown/auburn, than just a dull brown.

The special features amazed me as well. I loved seeing how on the Peter Tchaikovsky Story, Walt showed the entire forest and battle sequences to the audience. I don't think Disney would ever show that much of an upcoming film on television today. :p

I thought the princess fun facts, while very clearly aimed toward children at times, provided a lot of interesting information. Like how they auditioned 20 male singers for Phillip before picking Shirley, and his light opera background. Speaking of Shirley, I was very happy to hear him included in the Picture Perfect featurette when discussing the cast, and hearing how warmly Mary Costa talked of him. The rest of Picture Perfect I thought was wonderful as well, and I was happy to hear Sibley say what I think has been misunderstood by others for a while: Sleeping Beauty did huge business at the box office origially, but since Walt had sunk so much money into the production, it would be almost impossible to make it all back.

The featurette on Eyvind Earle and Sequence 8 I thought provided a lot of great information. I never realized how much of a troubled life Earle went through in his early years as a child because of his father.

The alternate opening was very interesting see, but I agree that it didn't fit the picture and Earle's style. The kind of production number seemed something that would be more appropiate in Beauy and the Beast. It Happens I Have A Picture I thought were interesting, particularly Hans Conreid as Stefan. While I didn't care much for the lyrics, I think I would have liked a similiar idea for the movie that instead of Skumps, Hubert and Stefan could have a song boasting about much Phillip and Aurora are like themselves.

Publicity and storyboards were about the same as before, as well as Four Artists Paint One Tree. I noticed they added a new clip of Ed Kemmer on horseback for the Phillip reference footage that wasn't on the SE. The galleries provided some neat new things, including some more Tom Oreb sketches for Phillip and the fairies which weren't on the old SE either.

And then there was what I had been anticipating most than any other feature: the castle walk-through. It exceeded even more than I had been expecting and I was grinning in excitement at watching it all the way through. The commentary with Tony Baxter was really interesting, and I loved that you were able to stop and get a close-up of any scene, and there was a segment that told you the secret behind the effects to each one. I'm amazed at how ingenious some of the use of Pepper's Ghost was for the original caste, even before they used it in the Haunted Mansion. The history of the castle was very information, and it was great to see Disney legends Bob Gurr and Harriet Burns on it. Although it was a bit bittersweet for me since I loved Harriet's work for the parks and she just recently passed away. :( I also enjoyed that they had an easter egg where you could look at the orignal booklet given out at the end of the walk-through. Although I have an original copy of one of those booklets, so it was nothing new for me to see. :p

My only quibble with this release, was that I felt they could have included some bits of information from the old Kurtti commentary that were left out. No mention was made of how Walt personally said he wanted Phillip's role to be more expanded and more depth than the other princes, and wanting to expand the fairies' part as well. While the Deja, Maltin, Lasseter did provide some good insight into other things (one particularly I found interesting was that Audley had originally turned Disney down when offered the part of Malficent since she was ill), but I felt that there were some production points, such as the enlarging of Phillip and the fairies' characters, that I really wish had been mentioned.

All-in-all though, I was completely blown away by this release. This was a dream for a Sleeping Beauty fan like me! :D
-Tim
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Sleeping Beauty: Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm waiting till I'm ready to watch it all myself before I read anyone's thoughts on the actual thing, but I wanted to say...

THANK YOU everyone who helped with my sticky goo problem! Instead of asking my parents to get some solution, I took a tip from magicalwands and just peeled off the goo. To be honest, I messed it up the first time I think by pulling on it too much. The second circle of good I actually tried a really warm paper towel to scrub off, taken from Escapay's threads, and then that didn't do anything so I tried peeling it off and it made Phillip's cape look a little messed up, but for the final circle on the most important part, the title sheild, I picked at it bit by bit carefully and it came off and didn't leave anything bad!

Flam-Ham, well, I hope that they fix the Cinderella restoration because I still did find real for real mistakes and they even say in official things it's brighter than the original. I can't exaclty go and say or show everything about it in here, I'll post it sometime when I get a good copy of the old restoration...but anyway, I just hope someday you change your mind and like I said, since you like the immersiveness and real-life clarity of the parks, I'd think you'd want that for all your favorites, which Blu-ray can do.

Thanks 2009net for further info on the situation. I think that's the thing I'm most concerned about, not seeing the line art. To relate it to Sleeping Beauty's bigger ratio, if anything's bad, it's seeing less artwork than they intended!
DisneyFreak5282
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFreak5282 »

Ok, now I definitely can't wait to get my hands on this release! I decided I'll be buying the DVD version because it's $14.99 pretty much everywhere around me, and the Blu-Ray hasn't been discounted that much. Maybe on Black Friday I'll see if any stores have it on sale on Blu.
UDer #3495 :D
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

I know theyr'e like the biggest jerks on the net right now, but this is a review about The Sleeping Beauty Bluray,
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.ph ... how=review

Personally I ordered it from Amazon and I absoloutly can't wait till it comes.
Flower's Friend
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Flower's Friend »

You know yesterday when I went to pick up my Sleeping Beauty Platinum editons my Sleeping Beauty Platinum Blu-ray edition actually cost me less than what I paid for my Sleeping Beauty Platinum dvd edition.

I had pre-ordered my Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray on Best Buy and it was like maybe $26.99, but if the in store price is lower I get it for the in store price. The in store price was $25.99. Since they did not have my Blu-ray up there at the place that you go to pick up your online orders, they took $10 off. Best Buy has this policy that if you order movies online that they will have it ready for you in one minute or they give you $10 off :)
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

All week I've been trying hard to rent the DVD set (I don't have the money to collect DVDs, sadly :( ). But every time I go check its still out! Apparently, the guy that rented it is a big jerk that takes his sweet time watching his movies... :x

Let's see if I can find it tomorrow...
ImageImageImageImage

Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

It seems like a lot of the DVDs did not come with the DVD Guide insert. I just exchanged my copy for another one and again it did not have the insert. I sent an e-mail to DisneyDVD Support to send me one.
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fflewduur »

I'm generally not big into extra features that aren't about the main feature, but there are exceptions. I'm particularly susceptible to the stuff that aims for an immersive environmental experience, like the flyovers on the Monsters, Inc. DVD.

The Dragon Encounter on the BD is really impressive, especially considering it's basically a glorified demo for HD audio surround sound. Video is high bitrate AVC, audio is 7.1 DTS-HD MA, with a mix designed to show off the soundstage. The animation is CG and dimensional, but in no way unfaithful to the original production design. The subsituted voice casting for the fairies is exemplary. It begins with a card reading "Turn off the lights, turn up the sound!"---hopefully I won't spoil much in suggesting the sequence of events might have been cribbed from the Extraterrorestrial Alien Encounter (or perhaps the Stitch-themed redress, though I have yet to see it). I was impressed by the simulated ridethrough of the Little Mermaid attraction on the Platinum DVD, but HD presentation quality truly takes the principle to another level. With a bigger & better display than what I've got---the technology's come amazingly close to dropping a corner of the theme park into your living room. I think Walt would be excited.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Does anyone if the Sleeping Beauty 50th anniversary soundtrack is the same as the original soundtrack from 1996 or is it newly restored?
thatartguy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by thatartguy »

Jack Skellington wrote:I know theyr'e like the biggest jerks on the net right now, but this is a review about The Sleeping Beauty Bluray,
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.ph ... how=review

Personally I ordered it from Amazon and I absoloutly can't wait till it comes.
If you go to "User Reviews" on that page, my super mini review is there. :D
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

That concept art :lol:.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

MickeyMouseboy wrote:Does anyone if the Sleeping Beauty 50th anniversary soundtrack is the same as the original soundtrack from 1996 or is it newly restored?
same. But it was $8 at Future Shop on Tuesday.
my chicken is infected
Anniversary Edition

Post by my chicken is infected »

I'm not sorry that the new soundtrack CD is simply the old one with a new cover. :P At least that's one SB thing I won't have to rebuy. (Although technically, someone else bought me the original 1996 CD release, but yes. :P )

I've watched the DVD, and it completely blows the 2003 release away. But I'm still keeping it in case some dumbo ever wanted to watch it in fullscreen, as well as for the old commentary and the old photo galleries. I prefer the art gallery in a castle layout from that DVD, plus it's got some images the new one doesn't have, plus audio commentary on images. But even with all that, the Platinum Edition is light years better than the 2003 Special Edition. :D
-Joey