DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:33 am 
Platinum Edition

I know that this film was briefly discussed in the thread about the upcoming Disney animation slate, but eventually it would get it's own thread, and I just found a plot summary for the film!

***SPOILER ALERT- PLOT DETAILS***

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36333

NEWT

Set to be released in Summer of 2011, directed by Gary Rydstrom, who is famous for working sound design for Cameron, Lucas and Spielberg as well as directing the great Pixar short LIFTED.

Rydstrom came out wheeling a complicated 9 part Newt mating ritual chart, like you’d find in a science lab or biology class.

Rydstrom says the film is about the last two blue footed newts on this earth, a male and a female, who are thrown together by science and can’t stand each other.

Newt, our lead, has been in captivity since he was a tadpole. He’s lonely. His only friend is a lifeless sock puppet. He can see the mating ritual chart from his cage and practices day in and day out, getting ready for scientists to capture him a girlfriend. “And who can’t relate to that?” asks Rydstrom.

Unfortunately, the 9th and final step is obscured by a Mr. Coffee, so he doesn’t know how the ritual ends. “It’s the way of life. You wanna know step 9 and there’s a Mr. Coffee in front of it.”

Brook is the name of the last female Blue-Footed Newt. She is in the wild and has no idea she’s the last female of her species. She escapes all sorts of dangers in her day to day life, including being evasive of these crazy biologists who are always chasing her. Rydstrom describes her evasive capabilities as making her an “amphibious Errol Flynn.”

One day they catch her and bring her back to the lab and present her to Newt. They have “the world’s worst first date” before through circumstance they both end up in the wild. Newt is worthless out here, but Brook gets him through the trials.

They meet a character named Eddie, a giant Hellbender Salamander, who is a ladies man and passes along his incredibly shallow ideas of love to Newt. Of course, they predictably don’t work.

“Newt is a movie about how finding a mate never goes as you expect even, make that especially, if you only have one choice.”

Looked cute enough, but I didn’t really see enough to really feel strongly one way or the other. I loved what Rydstrom did with LIFTED, so I’m game to see him take on this project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:44 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I'm not too sure how I feel about this. I mean, I guess it sounds alright, but...

http://teendramaforum.proboards.com/
http://twitter.com/clemxens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:44 am 
Gold Collection

When I first heard about this, my first impression was that it sounded very weak storywise. Maybe had it been done earlier back in the 90's it wouldn't have mattered, but with the groundbreaking work done with films such as Nemo, Incredibles, Ratatouille and Wall-E, it does sound like a bit of a comedown for Pixar.

Still, its early days and there's no telling where the story will end up by the time its released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:40 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Bear in mind plot summaries are not meant to be read by everyone who will watch the film so expect it to be much different than a trailer. Teasers and trailers are to pull the audiences in as opposed to a paragraph of the film is meant to only be read to animators/story boarders to help spark ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:16 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

See, I think this one sounds really cute, and I think from what I've heard of the storyline, this one really has potential. I just wish the male newt's name wasn't Newt. It just seems lame. Otherwise, I think it sounds interesting and creative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:57 am 
Gold Collection

Location: Watching the video "Counterfeit Christians" by David Wilkerson, follow the link in my sig
I think Newt sounds like it could be a fun film, pixar usually do great work so i don't think it will be too disapointing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:04 am 
Platinum Edition

Another ball of fluff from Pixar. At least Up looks interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:29 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I believe that pic is new isn't it?

http://thedisneydigest.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:33 pm 

It seems interesting I suppose. I best not judge the movie by it's plot though. Because most movies with a weird plot end up turning pretty okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:32 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

i don't see why anyone is saying the plot is weird or all that simple. It's a love story, but it's a forced love. They have to love each other for their species to survive. I think this might end up being one of the most complex and dramatic plots pixar has come up with. If pixar simplifies the complexity of feelings that these two characters would be feeling then I'd be heavily dissapointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:01 pm 
Special Edition

not sure what is so "weird" about the plot ? would "it's a film about a boy who loves his toys... but there's a catch... the toys are alive." sound like a brilliant concept or plot ? how about "it's about a fish and his friend trying to find his son who lives in a dentist office fish tank." ?

truth is... a plot description is not a script... until you see what kind of personalities these characters have, who the supporting characters are, what sort of environments and settings they live in and over all how the film plays out... it's kind of hard to judge whether or not this will be a weak film.

i can't think of the last time there was a film made about the last two animals of any given species who were forced to love each other if they wanted to save their kind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:10 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Ratatouille sounded like such a bizarre plot I had reservations about that one myself. Goodness knows people must have looked at Lewis Carroll like he had two heads one too.

I'll wait till the movie comes out, but I do find it promising myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:05 pm 
Limited Edition

JDCB1986 wrote:
not sure what is so "weird" about the plot ?
i can't think of the last time there was a film made about the last two animals of any given species who were forced to love each other if they wanted to save their kind.

Umm.......ever see Ice Age 2 The Meltdown????
That's immediately what I thought of when I read the above spoiler. I mean, I know eventually they found more Mammoths so they really weren't the last 2, but they thought so for the first 3/4 of the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:56 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

People seem to forget that sometimes it isn't the story that matters, its how you TELL it.

You could have the most mundane storyline in existence and it will still captivate audiences because its execution is stellar.

Like its been said, many of Pixar's film feature concepts that seem boring at first, but end up being big hits because they are fun and well made films. So don't brush "Newt" as boring yet, because Pixar always delivers in the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:08 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm moderately excited for Newt. I think it could be okay... I just don't see how the concept will be fleshed out into two hours yet.

I am most excited for Bear and the Bow.

I think Toy Story 3 could be great. I get more excited the more I think about it.

I think Up will be bittersweet but different. Color me blasphemous but I didn't like The Incredibles. Finding Nemo was so funny and cute and when suddenly we have this other film that's more action-oriented and real life, it struck me the wrong way. Up may do that, too. This time I'll be more prepared for it.

I have no interest in Cars 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:22 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I am personally happy that Pixar is bold enough to try new things in their films.

Prior to Incredibles Pixar was heavily criticized for relying on formulas and cuteness. But afterwards, their films have been better received and their concepts are more fleshed out and daring.

Even "Cars", which is a "typical" Pixar film, had some bold decisions and took its story on new levels, even when it was founded on tradition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:48 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

pap64 wrote:
Even "Cars", which is a "typical" Pixar film, had some bold decisions and took its story on new levels, even when it was founded on tradition.

The designs of the Cars to use them for a WHOLE movie was a bold move! It was tricky giving them life in 3d compared to Suzy(?) in the Walt Disney short. In 2d, they could be able to make the car a bit more fluid and bouncy; but in 3d, you have to keep it stationary, no squatting or stretching.

Neal, it is not blasphemy you didn't like The Incredibles. Finding Nemo was not my cup of tea, but Monsters Inc. made me jump up and down begging for more sugar cubes. I personally love the range of favorite Pixar flicks; one might loathe A Bug's Life, but is obsessed with Cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:02 pm 
Limited Edition

Well some people think I have poor taste by not liking The Incredibles and blast me for it.

I liked WALL-E for being different and expect Up to be different as well.

My favorite Pixar films are the Toy Stories and Finding Nemo.

Only Cars and The Incredibles failed to do much for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:01 pm 
Special Edition

I don't know if this is new news but this is from the animation blog:

Quote:
Floyd Norman said...
Well, at least under Walt you knew what you were doing. Projects didn't languish in development hell for years. And while it's true Marc and Ken labored on "Chantecler" for six months, Walt killed it in a day. Not if or maybe - it was dead. The boss made decisions, and like it or not, all respected those decisions.

Of course, we weren't run by marketing bozos demanding silly title changes. "Cinderella" was a beloved fairy tale - and guess what? Everybody knew the name.

I guess running a cartoon studio must be really, really hard. I'm so glad I don't have that job.

Oh, and "Newt" is dead.
Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:04:00 PM
Michael said...
Thanks, Floyd. I was getting that vibe on newt but hadn't heard for sure. I really hate that, too - I thought it sounded interesting.

I guess Pixar is also having its own problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:05 pm 
Special Edition

Does anyone have Twitter?
Lee Unkrich uses it a lot and that would be a great thing to ask.
You can even quote Floyd Norman.
If it's still in the works they'll deny it.
If it's shot they'll say we can't comment.

Anyone?