101 Dalmatians Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

101 Dalmatians Discussion

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Unfortunately, it's been a very long time since I've seen this. I rented the LE DVD from the school library, but it wouldn't play :(. I remember loving it, though. While I can't yet comment (unless I find the DVD somewhere, or decide to cave and watch VHS) on some of the more technical aspects of the films-- and I intend to revisit this thread when I can-- I can say that the overall plot, the characters, and the music made a lasting impression.

There's a lot of engaging action, one of Disney's more quickly-paced films, if I recall correctly.

Cruella stands out as one of Disney's greatest villains. I'm not an animal lover, but the family story that lies behind the dogs creates sympathy that makes you really hate her. I always loved the nanny. Of course, the main characters are great, too.

I don't remember the score, or even all the songs in the movie, but I of course remember and love Cruella DeVille. I guess it's my favorite, then. Were there any other songs? I guess I'll know when DisneyChris' poll comes up for this one. :)

Other adapatations- I liked Disney's live-action take on it, though I didn't think it lived up to the original (I had seen it much more recently at the time that I first saw the live-action one), though I thought Bette Midler would have been a much better fit than Glenn Close. 102 Dalmatians was pretty good, too. I haven't yet seen Disney's animated sequel, and I look forward to hopefully seeing the broadway play some day.

But for now, bring on the platinum! :P

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

i dunno how walt did it but somehow it always works super in the end
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

I can't wait to own 101 Dalmatians on Platinum Edition this was a very well made film.
I really loved this film but it should have had music in the film so it could be better.
101 Dalmatians now that's a lot of dogs!!!
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

This is one of my favorite Disney films! The late Betty Lou Gerison does a tremendous job as the voice of Cruella. Glen Close also does a wonderful job as Cruella. If Bette Midler had played Cruella, she would have had to almost exactly copy what she did in Hocus Pocus. The animated sequel is one of Disney's finest. The only problem I have with 102 Dalmations is that Roger and Anita are no where to be found. A purely great film!
SofaKing381222
Anniversary Edition

Post by SofaKing381222 »

I couldnt wait for the platinum so I took a chance and ebayed..... and I got a legit copy for only $10 Its amazing!!!!!!! I love this movie. I remeber when I was little this was my favorite movie of all time, and I am very glad I got. They really need to push it up on the platinum line. I did like the Live action edition. It was one of the better Disney spin off kinda things. The 101 Dalmations II was your typical cheapquel but I still liked it. As for the sequel to the live action movie; even though many ppl say that they hated I loved it! It was very funny!
We need season sets of all DCOSs and all DCOMs on DVD! And Better Cover Art!

My DVD's / My Space
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I'm guessing it'll be the last Platinum release. I definitely think that the last year (2006, right?) will "go to the dogs," as someone on here once put it (was it Dreamer?) with L&TT and 101D both coming out that year, cross-promoting one another. TLM and TJB are also higher-profile and will probably come out first.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

One fascinating thing about this film is that a majority of people tend to spell the title incorrectly...
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

Lars Vermundsberget wrote:One fascinating thing about this film is that a majority of people tend to spell the title incorrectly...
Hehe :lol:

How true.

D-A-L-M-A-T-I-O-N-S
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Ciaobelli wrote:
Lars Vermundsberget wrote:One fascinating thing about this film is that a majority of people tend to spell the title incorrectly...
Hehe :lol:

How true.

D-A-L-M-A-T-I-O-N-S
:lol:

...Except that it's...

D-A-L-M-A-T-I-A-N-S

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

101 Dalmatians (or One Hundred and One Dalmatians as it was first called when people used to spell numerals in words) is known by Disney and also members of the public as a classic. It's not hard to see why. It has always been a huge critical and box office success. It has cute little puppies in it. Yet despite being a classic in many terms, I must admit I have mixed feelings on it.

First, I'll talk about the bad. I didn't like some of the animation in the movie. Mainly as it was sketchy. The sharp, pointy character designs of the characters are great, but the sketchiness can really dum it down a bit. Also, there's the problem with the pacing. Now it's not all bad. The film has some fast, exciting moments. But it can get a bit boring, especially towards the end when the dalmatians just go round and round and round the countryside. Also, I still think ninja racoons would've made better sidekicks for Cruella than a pair of goons...

But there are good things about the film, too. Firstly, the idea of the film being from a dog's eye view is very interesting, even though I wouldn't say it's totally original. The animation, despite being sketchy, is quite good, as it contains interesting shapes and exagerations. The backgrounds also look nice. And there's always Cruella de Vil, who is fabulous on all accounts.

Although I am mixed on the film, I will probably give it 3.5 out of 5 stars, as it was interesting and cute at the same time.
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

This might sound lameand all but I never really cared to much for 101 Dalmations. I mean i think its a great movie but it never really sparked an intreast in me. Although I did like the beginning when Roger and Anita meet at that park I though that part was cute. and Cruella well I mean she swas just werid I remember asking my self on sevral occasions whats up with that hair half black half white. But you know w/e. My favorite Character has been and always will be rolly. " I am hungry mother I really am" hahahaha :lol: . I dont know maybe I'll watch it again sometime soon when I have free time again and it could grow on me. :)
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

awallaceunc wrote:
Ciaobelli wrote: Hehe :lol:

How true.

D-A-L-M-A-T-I-O-N-S
:lol:

...Except that it's...

D-A-L-M-A-T-I-A-N-S

-Aaron
Just proved you right again. :lol:
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... slate.html
Mr. Peet was faithful in his adaptation, although he left out a few poignant scenes (one with an old man remembering his faithful dog in front of a blazing fireplace) that failed to make the cut for the animated version, probably because they played well on the printed page but not on a storyboard.
In the comments section, Floyd Norman had this to say about the production:
Floyd Norman wrote:I remember 1959 and everything feeling right about this project. It was very fresh and exciting after the rather tedious years of "Sleeping Beauty."

Loads of talent made this film happen. Bill Peet, Ken Anderson, Tom Oreb and Walt Peregoy. Some projects just seem to come together - while others are like pulling teeth.

If you're working from existing material, the adaptation really has to work. Luckily, this one did.
IagoZazu
Gold Classic Collection

Post by IagoZazu »

I like 101 Dalmatians. It's a fun film with entertaining characters and music. Even though it was the end of an era of the kind of animation used in Sleeping Beauty and before, it still had a good look to it with the backgrounds and characters.

My favorite parts about it were Cruella De Vil and the music. Marc Davis must of put a lot of effort into Cruella, and it shows. There's no doubt that Cruella's one of the best Disney Villains because you love to hate her. The Cruella De Vil song is so catchy that it often gets stuck in my head sometimes. Even though some might disagree, I thought Jasper and Horace were pretty good henchmen.

I also like how the animals are portrayed in the film. This is also the first Disney movie to have classic black-and-white TVs. I think one of the reasons why this was a success was because it was a more modern movie for back then.

101 Dalmatians has my favorite opening credits because it's so fun and wild. Overall I would put this in my top ten and give it an eight out of ten.
Say no to moldy, disgusting crackers!
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

This is by far in my top fifteen (I can't pick a top ten, I love them all) Disney movies. I don't yet own the DVD, but even in VCR it still is great. I loved this movie when I was a child, and that might have something to do with my continuing love for it. And me being a huge fan of musicals, even with only 2 songs, (3 if you include Kanine Crunchies) I still love this movie to no end.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Scarred4life wrote:This is by far in my top fifteen (I can't pick a top ten, I love them all) Disney movies. I don't yet own the DVD, but even in VCR it still is great. I loved this movie when I was a child, and that might have something to do with my continuing love for it. And me being a huge fan of musicals, even with only 2 songs, (3 if you include Kanine Crunchies) I still love this movie to no end.
Well....if you wanna own it on DVD ...id try to get it soon...as it just went into the vault this past January.....so its not impossible to find yet....but the longer you wait...
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Something I found at Cartoon Brew:

Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Haven't been in this thread for a while...
disneyboy20022 wrote:Well....if you wanna own it on DVD ...id try to get it soon...as it just went into the vault this past January.....so its not impossible to find yet....but the longer you wait...
Yes well... Idiot that I am, I completely ignored the vaulting, and now I'm ebaying it... :P
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

i love this movie... easily one of my favourites. i grew up with bill peets books, so 101 will always be a favourite due to bills involvement. i can see his hands all over it.
i like all the characters equally, though tibs is slightly above the others. i love how the movie was all hand drawn and how they managed to keep all the spots from scene to scene.
i like the sequel as well, especially how cruella is still driving her wrecked car and it falls to bits as she drives down the road. the continuation is great. one bit i hate is the accent change.

last time i watched it, i noticed something on horace and jaspers tv... dancing sunflowers. were they from a silly symphony scene?
big kid at heart
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Marc Davis' Early Designs for Cruella DeVil
http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest.asp?I1=ID&I2=74475

101 Dalmatians Development Art
http://cartoonmodern.blogsome.com/2007/ ... almatians/

101 Dalmatians Color Keys by Walt Peregoy
http://cartoonmodern.blogsome.com/2007/ ... t-peregoy/