John Carter

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

It's just out in The Netherlands and I just saw the trailer for the first time.

Has Disney really sunken this low? Just when you thought it couldn't get much worse after Prince of Persia and Sorceror's Apprentice, it did.

#epicfail
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

Goliath wrote: Has Disney really sunken this low? Just when you thought it couldn't get much worse after Prince of Persia and Sorceror's Apprentice, it did.

#epicfail
100 year old story that's loved by many + Pixar team = epic fail? That does not sound possible to me. We will have to see though since a few people feel the way you do.

-Skyler
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

Goliath wrote:It's just out in The Netherlands and I just saw the trailer for the first time.

Has Disney really sunken this low? Just when you thought it couldn't get much worse after Prince of Persia and Sorceror's Apprentice, it did.

#epicfail
Good for you to judge and condemn a movie before even seeing it.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

qindarka wrote:Good for you to judge and condemn a movie before even seeing it.
Thanks. I'll gladly take in your misplaced sarcasm. There are 'kinds of' -movies, if you get what I mean. Like, there are no-budget straight-to-dvd action films with C-stars like Dolph Lundgren and the like with the same plot every time: a bunch of guys fighting for 90 minutes and uterring maybe two words max. That's a 'kind of ' -movie. Those kinds of movies are bad. That's why they have no budget, no stars and are straight to dvd. No intelligent person has to view all of them to judge them all. If you've seen one of them, you've seen them all. Because they're 'kind of' -movie.

The same with John Carter. The trailer shows this is a 'kind of' -movie. In this case, the same kind of movie we've seen much of in recent years: pumped up heroes, outer-wordly locations, strange creatures and CGI special effects. Many special effects. Loads of special effects. Special effects taking precedence over story and characters. Yes, I've seen this 'kind of' movie already before. Many times. The trailer confirms this. So instead of wasting my time on it, I can just skip it.

You don't have to agree with me. I was just expressing what *I* thought upon seeing the trailer.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

I understand your apprehension, Goliath. The marketing of the film has been indeed underwhelming. However, considering all the positive buzz and reviews from people who watched the film, I'm willing to give it a chance and see it in theaters.

Tangled, also had really bad trailers and promotion but the movie itself turned out to be quite good. I think John Carter might be one of those cases.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

I guess I was a little judge mental. If it does good, I'll eventually see it.
steven132
Limited Issue

Post by steven132 »

I was lucky enough to be able to attend the premiere and would say that I really enjoyed it, it was what Star Wars episode 1 should have been if it had more intriguing characters and a more fleshed out story and I liked it more than Avatar. There is a great balance of humor, action, romance, etc and you have a but in to the characters My main issue is that the main characters were a little robotic and seemed a lot like the prince of persia. I hope it does really well but working at a high school haven;t heard students talking about it or knowing what it is. Probably the marketing teams fault, if they could sell wall-e they should be able to sell this for sure.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

steven132 wrote:I was lucky enough to be able to attend the premiere and would say that I really enjoyed it, it was what Star Wars episode 1 should have been if it had more intriguing characters and a more fleshed out story and I liked it more than Avatar. There is a great balance of humor, action, romance, etc and you have a but in to the characters My main issue is that the main characters were a little robotic and seemed a lot like the prince of persia. I hope it does really well but working at a high school haven;t heard students talking about it or knowing what it is. Probably the marketing teams fault, if they could sell wall-e they should be able to sell this for sure.
Just what I wanted to hear because I was worried it would be painfully preachy like Avatar or it would not live up to its hype. :)
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Problem with that is that Wall-E had Pixar's marketing team behind it. John Carter is stuck with Disney's, unfortunately.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Goliath wrote:There are 'kinds of' -movies, if you get what I mean. Like, there are no-budget straight-to-dvd action films with C-stars like Dolph Lundgren and the like with the same plot every time: a bunch of guys fighting for 90 minutes and uterring maybe two words max. That's a 'kind of ' -movie. Those kinds of movies are bad. That's why they have no budget, no stars and are straight to dvd. No intelligent person has to view all of them to judge them all. If you've seen one of them, you've seen them all. Because they're 'kind of' -movie.
While I want to see John Carter, I agree with what you've said here. I don't need to see Twilight and films like it to know what its quality is; it's part of a certain cinematic niche, and if the trailers show the best of it (as they're supposed to), then I can safely assume that the Twilight films and its copycats (e.g. I Am Number Four) are terrible. I agree that John Carter looks like a cliche, CGI-filled, explosive and below average action romp, but I have hopes for it because the stories by Edgar Rice Burroughs are interesting and Andrew Stanton is directing it.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney's new 'John Carter' film dedicated to Steve Jobs
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12 ... _jobs.html
(via mickeynews.com)

*edit*

ScoreKeeper Goes Mano E Mano With Michael Giacchino About JOHN CARTER, STAR TREK, and More!!!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54008

4 out of 5 stars review:
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1265828 ... eview.html
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

"John Carter is a fantastic fusion of old-fashioned adventure and a modern blockbuster spectacle. Disney's adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' A Princess of Mars knocks it out of this world."
http://movies.ign.com/articles/121/1219191p1.html
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

'John Carter' unveils astronomy's vanished view of Mars
Warring aliens, imperiled princesses and parched desert canals, a vision of the Red Planet still lingering today.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/co ... 53338798/1
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Well, it certainly does seem to be getting some pretty fantastic reviews... I've been seeing a TON of previews on TV in the past week or so.

Maybe there is hope for this yet.

I do agree with Goliath that this definitely looks like one of those "kind of" movies. It just looks like another action flick. But based on what I know about the story, the film, the people involved, and the reviews it's getting... I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised.
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

A new John Carter Files Fan Trailer:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzPVYy7LHIo[/youtube]

Enjoy!
Last edited by Hogi Bear on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

10 minutes of John Carter

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HaE5Zs8dAY[/youtube]

If it's like what they did with National Treasure, then they have cut pieces out of the middle to make it 10 minutes. So when you see it in theatres, don't be surprised if the scene is longer.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Hogi Bear on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I just watched both clips- the 10 minute one and the white ape one. Gah, I'm so excited- this movie is going to be wonderful!!!
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Roger Ebert's review:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /120309985

As for me, I've seen TV spots, and to me, it looks like this film will do pretty good. :)
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

I just returned from seeing it in 3D IMAX and it was a nice and fun movie. The lead wasn't annoying for a change, but the story itself was very predictable (i haven't read the books).

There were only a few fight scenes and they were all over before you could blink. It was entertaining though and didn't mind seeing it.

That dog-thing was so cute! :lol:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Goliath wrote:The trailer confirms this. So instead of wasting my time on it, I can just skip it.
You'll always think your absolutely 100% right about the film when you still haven't seen the whole thing? You've never been pleasantly surprised when you watched a film that you thought was going to be different?