John Carter

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

John Carter

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

As most probably are aware of, Pixar is working with an adaptation of John Carter. A short clip from the Bob Clampett test from the 1930's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H2ZdSbyHhQ
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

I'm really looking forward to this one, altough I would have preferred a
2-d treatment. This just screams classic disney, it has so much potential.
I'm curious as to how this will turn out, but untill then
excellent!
:excellent:
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

REINIER wrote:I'm really looking forward to this one, altough I would have preferred a
excellent!
Screams Classic Disney? Not if its even 20% true to it's source. It's far to violent, racy and sexist for a Disney film! People who had palputations about Atlantis or Treasure Planet will probably have a stroke!
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

2099net wrote:
REINIER wrote:I'm really looking forward to this one, altough I would have preferred a
excellent!
Screams Classic Disney? Not if its even 20% true to it's source. It's far to violent, racy and sexist for a Disney film! People who had palputations about Atlantis or Treasure Planet will probably have a stroke!
You can't argue with logic like that :D you're absolutely right, I must have gotten carried away by the premise of this becoming a disney film, I like the original animation so much :)
It is rather violent too, but that's something that disney hasn't shunned before right? I mean they can sugarcoat it and make it seem less so.
Still we will just have to wait and see
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

As long as they stay lojal to the original material and the atmosphere, it will be an interesting experience.
But it would really be amazing if a big budget animated feature had been made in the late 30's or early 40's. Disney made some great movies during that time, but none about science fiction or sword and sorcery.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

But I thought John Carter was to be live action? They're even talking about another CGI company (ILM) doing the bluk of the effects rather than Pixar themselves.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
crazycalichic06

Post by crazycalichic06 »

2099net wrote:But I thought John Carter was to be live action? They're even talking about another CGI company (ILM) doing the bluk of the effects rather than Pixar themselves.
You're right. I read that this is going to be Pixar's first live action film. Or is it a different film? I can't remeber.
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever."- Walt Disney
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

I really hope this will be live action w/CGI effects. I have never seen the original animation - I've only read the books. It seems a little racy for Disney/Pixar, but nothing worse than the PG-13 rated POTC series.

If they do it, they need to give it royal treatment and do it right.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

An update from comingsoon.net!

<<Andrew Stanton Talks John Carter of Mars
Source: SCI FI Wire January 13, 2009

WALL•E writer/director Andrew Stanton told SCI FI Wire that things are moving forward on Disney's John Carter of Mars:

"[I'm] deep into it... I'm on my next draft of it. We're in preproduction art-wise, and we're starting to talk to actors. So it's full bore."

Stanton confirmed that Carter, based on the books by Edgar Rice Burroughs, will be live-action. "Yeah, I think that's the only way," he said. "I mean, there are so many creatures and characters that half of it's going to be CG whether you want it to be [or not], just to realize some of these images that are in the book. But it will feel real. The whole thing will feel very, very believable."

You can read the full interview here.
http://scifiwire.com/2009/01/wall-e-hel ... s.php#more

Created by Edgar Rice Burroughs, John Carter first appeared in 1911's "A Princess of Mars," the first Burroughs novel set on the fictionalized version of Mars.>>
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

It doesn't bode well for this movie when only a grand total of 4 forum members have enough interest in the books to post over a total of 10 months.

For those of you who don't know at least A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, it's really worth checking out from the library and giving it a read. I am only mildly interested in "sci-fi" and I was hooked.

This really has the potential to be a great movie, but so many people are unfamiliar with the source material, I think.
Will Barks
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Will Barks »

I'm really looking forward to see JCoM. With Stanton it's surely in good hands.
For everyone who has never heard of the story, the book "A Princess of Mars", whereon the movie is based, is public domain in the US. So, you can download it legally!

E.g. from this page:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/62
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

oh don't worry. I may not have read the books, but I'm looking forward to whatever Stanton is going o do next.

I'm very much looking forward to this project and it will be interesting to see in what way Disney and Pixar are making this. Pixar has so far distanced itsself from live-action and serving as a visual effects studio on live action. Yet Wall-E and their involvement in John Carter appear to prove otherwise.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

This is mentioned (but worded differently) in the article that kbehm29 posted the link for:

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -mars.html

The pic will not be released through Pixar, but Disney. It appears that the Lamp is too family friendly, but the Mouse isn't... I won't even address the irony in that statement, but the other big news is that he confirmed it'll be live-action. Or at least a good deal of it. Although I'm sure the Martian landscape of Barsoom will have plenty of CG creatures... 2012 can't get here quick enough.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

1. No villain.

I'm glad to hear that there still is some development going on.

And I agree with the guy who says it is ironic that it is Disney who will release it (through Touchstone perhaps?), because Pixar is seen as too family friendly. Especially when one remembers it was Pixar who wanted to avoid any formulas or definitions. They even wrote some rules before Toy Story; no villain, no happy village, no “I wish” moment, no singing characters and no love story. And now it looks like they are less free to do what they want than Disney. But they still take changes, as seen with Wall-E, as long as it is family friendly chances.

(Some other examples about animated movie cliches found in another forum:

1. THE SLO-MO NO - This is a scene played for laughs which usually involves some kind of (usually mid-air) slow-motion action. Extra points for scenes that involve slow-motion speech. Extra-extra points if that speech is the word “Nooooooo!”

2. YESSSS! - This involves a character (it’s usually a kid) pumping his fist and saying “Yesssss!” aloud or simply mouthing the word.

3. GREETING THA ‘HOOD - This usually occurs at the opening of a movie where a character (typically the protagonist) is stolling through his “neighborhood” greeting everybody he passes (typically with a big wave and/or a high-five). Extra points if the character does the “wink and point.” Extra-extra points if he uses both hands to do the “wink and point”.

4. AAAAAAAAAAAAGH! (a.k.a. Whoooooaaaaa!) - This is a scene that includes a reaction shot in which one or more characters engage in a prolonged scream in a frightening situation. Extra points if one character continues screaming long after all the other characters have stopped.

5. THE CRASH AND SLIDE - This is where a character crashes into some sort of obstacle (typically a window, but sometimes a wall or ceiling) then sticks there for a moment (usually to make some offbeat remark) before sliding off.

6. THAT’S GOTTA HURT - Right after some slapstick calamity, some other character fliply remarks, “That’s gotta hurt.” or something similar.

7. THE MILITARY MANEUVER - Typically happening right before the final showdown, The Military Maneuver involves civilian protagonists in non-military situations springing into action and adopting military mannerisms. These include call and response chants, training montages, lots of inspections and saluting and are usually accompanied by lots of snare drums and horns on the music track.

8. THE ANIMATED BOOGALOO - When a character in a non-musical suddenly busts out into a fit of spontaneous dancing (usually breakdancing).

9. THE RIGHT STUFF REVISITED - Scene which parodies the slow-motion walking scene from “The Right Stuff.”

10. ANNOYING A.D.D. SIDEKICK - Blabbermouthed sidekick or secondary character with Attention Deficit Disorder. Males are usually cowards, females are usually loud and sassy. Bonus points awarded when the character is portrayed by an African American actor.)
brownie
Special Edition

Post by brownie »

^ Haha @ 1, 3, and 10!

I'm actually looking forward to this movie. A lot. A Disney sci-fi blockbuster directed by Andrew Stanton? This spells instant classic to me.
blackcauldron85

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -mars.html

That's an article with just a little info about the movie.
blackcauldron85

www.animated-news.com:

John Carter of Mars gets a new screenwriter
IO9 reports that Michael Chabon, author of books such as "The Amazing Adventures Of Kavalier & Clay" and "The Yiddish Policemen’s Union", has signed on to rewrite the script for Disney’s big-screen adaption of "A Princess of Mars", the first of eleven books in the John Carter saga. According to Chabon, “I’ve been hired to do some revisions to an already strong script by Andrew Stanton and Mark Andrews,” Chabon said. “I wrote my original screenplay The Martian Agent back in 1995 because I wished I could do Burroughs’s Barsoom. So this is pretty much a dream come true for me.” The article however suggests that it is unclear whether Chabon will be revising the first draft which was completed by Stanton and Mark Andrews in 2008 or completely rewriting the script. The movie is currently set for a 2012 release.

The film is supposed to be called John Carter of Mars, isn't it? Because this blurb says it's an adaptation of "A Princess of Mars"...but the film won't be called that, right? Is this supposed to be a series of films? I think that I thought that, but no one else posted about that in this thread... :?
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I'm looking forward to this, but I think I prefer Pixar animation to be......well, animation.
blackcauldron85

ajmrowland wrote:I'm looking forward to this, but I think I prefer Pixar animation to be......well, animation.
me, on Jan. 14 wrote:The pic will not be released through Pixar, but Disney. It appears that the Lamp is too family friendly, but the Mouse isn't... I won't even address the irony in that statement, but the other big news is that he confirmed it'll be live-action. Or at least a good deal of it.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^right. :oops: