John Carter

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Disney Duster wrote:
Goliath wrote:The trailer confirms this. So instead of wasting my time on it, I can just skip it.
You'll always think your absolutely 100% right about the film when you still haven't seen the whole thing? You've never been pleasantly surprised when you watched a film that you thought was going to be different?
As if a trailer really confirms anything. Proof: Look at the trailers for "Tangled". The marketing for John Carter have been a mess, but people are saying that the movie is acutally entertaining and good.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

JOHN CARTER Review
Andrew Stanton has taken an old-fashioned adventure and given it a high-tech body. John Carter is visually stunning, thoughtfully constructed, and most importantly, the film is grand, goofy, old-fashioned fun. Rating: B+
http://collider.com/john-carter-review/150694/

"While the script has no problem with going broad, the excellent cast manages to bring their characters to life by making them more than Hero, Love-Interest, Chieftain, etc. I believe in John Carter because Kitsch sells his character’s reluctance, pain, bewilderment, and moral code (and thankfully, John Carter is not “the chosen one who must answer the call”). Collins plays Dejah without the interminable “tough chick” clichés. Yes, she knows how to wield a sword and the character is really smart, but Collins’ is unafraid to show Dejah’s vulnerable side, which is essential to strengthening the character’s determination."
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

DOes anyone know whether there will be action figures / toys released for this movie?
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Went to see the Midnight showing of John Carter in IMAX 3-D. See my review of the film under the "What Movie Did you Just Watch" thread.

This is truly the 'first blockbuster' of the year. Very, very good and just plain entertainment from the word go.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

dvdjunkie wrote:Went to see the Midnight showing of John Carter in IMAX 3-D. See my review of the film under the "What Movie Did you Just Watch" thread.

This is truly the 'first blockbuster' of the year. Very, very good and just plain entertainment from the word go.
This is defiantly what I wanted to hear.I also think why many people find John Carter cliche because of the fact John Carter inspired many of those action adventure cliches in the first place.The trope term for that is http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... dIsUnfunny.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Khonnor wrote:DOes anyone know whether there will be action figures / toys released for this movie?
I found it odd that there was no toys as well. Maybe they are waiting to see if the film is a big hit or not. I hope they go with someone who can make good action figures like hasbro. Also, just go with 3 3/4 inch scale figures, skip six inch and 12 inch figures. Make some of the big creatures as well.

I plan on seeing this very soon, like tonight!
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

An epic tale, really entertaining and funny as well. Wonderful effects, sets and costumes, and the cast is amazing. (Great chemistry between John Carter and princess Dejah Thoris.) I do hope Disney will make more John Carter movies. You guys must see this blockbuster action adventure on the big screen!:D
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Prince Edward wrote:An epic tale, really entertaining and funny as well. Wonderful effects, sets and costumes, and the cast is amazing. (Great chemistry between John Carter and princess Dejah Thoris.) I do hope Disney will make more John Carter movies. You guys must see this blockbuster action adventure on the big screen!:D
On the other hand lets hope they don't turn it into a zombie franchise like the Pirates of the Carribean.On the other hand Disney might want to base a ride on John Carter in order to cash in on its success. :)
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

jazzflower92 wrote:
Prince Edward wrote:An epic tale, really entertaining and funny as well. Wonderful effects, sets and costumes, and the cast is amazing. (Great chemistry between John Carter and princess Dejah Thoris.) I do hope Disney will make more John Carter movies. You guys must see this blockbuster action adventure on the big screen!:D
On the other hand lets hope they don't turn it into a zombie franchise like the Pirates of the Carribean.On the other hand Disney might want to base a ride on John Carter in order to cash in on its success. :)
I'm afraid though that Disney will not make any sequels and blame the high budget, when we all know that it is Disney marketing that should be blamed for their horrible marketing of this movie. I fear that some profit will not be good enough for the Disney suits, they need and wants a large profit and unless they see Pirates of the Caribbean numbers they will kill off any potential new franchise. It will be Prince of Persia all over again. And then they find a new blockbuster movie they think will start a new franchise instead and invests a lot in it, only to market it terribly bad and they will have a new disappointment in their laps.

Instead, Disney should acknowledge the poor marketing effort on this one and make improvements there, market the sequel better, perhaps cut the budget some. Give this universe a chance, there are so many epic and great stories to tell of John Carter! When movie number 2 comes, people will know who John Carter is, and sequels do tend to make more money than the original. And when they make the next one, they will have the first movie and it's designs, costumes and effects to build upon, instead of starting from the beginning with another movie set in another universe.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Excellent movie! Tons of action, great effects, Woola, cool story, a little romance, everything you want from a big blockbuster. I think that Disney is going to do really well with this one.

I think the ads at first weren't the greatest but they got better. In the last week, they really started pushing this movie like crazy. It was cool seeing this in IMAX 3D... we really had a great time.

Now I NEED a Woola action figure. C'mon Disney!
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

I remember something along the line of the fact that John Carter From Mars is from the same author of Tarzan.It means that Disney has adapted two stories from Edgar Rice Burroughs.I mean what would have happened if Disney made this movie an animated movie instead of live action.

Man,now we need fanart of Tarzan and John Carter together because the books they are based on share the same author.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Prince Edward wrote:
jazzflower92 wrote: On the other hand lets hope they don't turn it into a zombie franchise like the Pirates of the Carribean.On the other hand Disney might want to base a ride on John Carter in order to cash in on its success. :)
I'm afraid though that Disney will not make any sequels and blame the high budget, when we all know that it is Disney marketing that should be blamed for their horrible marketing of this movie. I fear that some profit will not be good enough for the Disney suits, they need and wants a large profit and unless they see Pirates of the Caribbean numbers they will kill off any potential new franchise. It will be Prince of Persia all over again. And then they find a new blockbuster movie they think will start a new franchise instead and invests a lot in it, only to market it terribly bad and they will have a new disappointment in their laps.

Instead, Disney should acknowledge the poor marketing effort on this one and make improvements there, market the sequel better, perhaps cut the budget some. Give this universe a chance, there are so many epic and great stories to tell of John Carter! When movie number 2 comes, people will know who John Carter is, and sequels do tend to make more money than the original. And when they make the next one, they will have the first movie and it's designs, costumes and effects to build upon, instead of starting from the beginning with another movie set in another universe.
I fear the same fate may be in store for "The Lone Ranger." What a joke that the guys from Marvel's marketing department were the ones who got the pink slip!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Does anyone else think they're jinxing it by calling this "the first big blockbuster of the year"?
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Just got back! It really was great - not a life changing event, and not on the same level as "Pirates"... but very entertaining. Much more so than Prince of Persia, which it has been compared to.

While it is still fairly predictable, there is a LOT in the movie that the trailers give no hint of. Definitely the highlight for me was John Carter's solo fight against the Tharks.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised to see "John Carter of Mars" as the end title. It seems the filmmakers found a way to get the "real" title in there despite Disney's meddling.

All in all, definitely go see it!!
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

EW graded it D and People gave it 2 1/2 out of 4 stars.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

I would say it's "almost" up there with the first Pirates. Not quite, there, but better than any of the Pirates sequels anyway.

The film was as good as I think it could have been considering how dated the original source materiel is, but in a weird way that actually worked for it. The movie sets out to have fun, and that's exactly what it accomplished. I really didn't like Prince of Persia, but I loved John Carter, in spite of a few things.

Also, I have to say WOW @ Lynn Collins. The whole movie I was thinking how she should play Wonder Woman. Beautiful, Strong and gave a great acting performance. She stole the movie for me.

Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Lynn Collins was really good as princess Dejah Thoris. And she had great chemistry with Taylor Kitsch (John Carter).

"On Friday, at least, John Carter failed to overcome an awful marketing effort and barely took first place ahead of last weekend's winner The Lorax. (...) Disney's mega-budget sci-fi spectacle John Carter opened to a middling $9.82 million on Friday, which is lower than almost all recent comparable movies. (...) Since it's only one day in, and there are rumblings of strong international numbers coming out of Russia and East Asia, it's premature to write John Carter's obituary."
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3390&p=.htm

Here's hoping that the international numbers will be great and that this movie will have great word of mouth and great legs. Perhaps we can get those sequels after all... It opened in almost all markets Friday, except Japan and China.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Disney just seems to be painfully unlucky when it comes to sci-fi movies. No matter if its animated or live-action, Disney just can't catch a break with sci-fi, ironically since Disney himself pushed the idea of space, technology and such hard enough that we got Tomorrowland out of it.

The only movie that seemed to do really, really well was Wall-E.
ImageImageImageImage

Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

"Overseas, it has earned roughly $13 million in the first territories where it's opened (in some countries, movies open on Wednesday or Thursday). That's a soft number, though there were several bright spots.

Russia bought welcome news for Disney. John Carter grossed an estimated $6.5 million there Thursday, the biggest opening day in Russian cinema history.

It also did solid business in Hong Kong and Thailand, possibly portending a good run in China and other Asian countries."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/j ... sia-298092
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

pap64 wrote:Disney just seems to be painfully unlucky when it comes to sci-fi movies. No matter if its animated or live-action, Disney just can't catch a break with sci-fi, ironically since Disney himself pushed the idea of space, technology and such hard enough that we got Tomorrowland out of it.

The only movie that seemed to do really, really well was Wall-E.

Tron/Tron legacy didn't do well?
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif