Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

ChrisLyne wrote:
Not sure on Anne Hathaway as I've never heard her sing.
Here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5_gtIj7L84

She actually has a pretty good voice.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

In "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart," Anne's voice isn't the strongest, but in "Somebody to Love," it's actually very good. Hmm..
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I always wondered if that was actually her...
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Yes, it is her. They said they always planned for her to have a song at that part, but the original song chosen, the director didn't like it. He heared Anne singing Somebody to Love one day and said "That's it!" and so it was added to the picture. It is her voice.

Another example of her singing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tWUYpskEoY
:lol:

And holy sheet...she can have an operatic voice too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnLhKU6C5yQ

I'd say....she can sing.
Drawken

Post by Drawken »

The only thing I ever heard about a live action version of "Beauty and the Beast" was a throwaway comment someone made about it on the DVD.
Upon hearing it,I thought, wow, that would be neat. But after seeing this post I personally don't think it would be a good idea.
The biggest problem I have with it is the enchanted abjects. How would they translate into live action? Animation was the perfect medium for them to come alive. I think making them 3d would be a step back.
Plus the film is already a classic, so why make it again? If Disney really wants to make more money off Beauty and the Beast, just release it on DVD, people will buy it. And if they want theater ticket sales, release it to all theaters, not just IMAX.

If you don't know already, the information on Wiki is written by everyday people, not professionals, so the information is not always reliable, especially if there isn't any web links to "legit" news sites to back it up, which the statement about Anne Hathaway does not have.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

lord-of-sith wrote:
PeterPanfan wrote:She sand fairly well in Josie and the Pussycats! Unless they just dubbed her. :P
They did. They dubbed her with the lead singer from Letters to Cleo. Still a great movie though!

About a BatB film, I could go either way on it. It would be cool to see, but I won't be heart broken if it doesn't happen.
Yes, Josie and the Pussycats is one of my favorite films, and I LOVE the soundtrack, though it's not really the cast. Unfortunately, the girls I find the most gorgeous and the voices I find the most gorgeous usually are two different people (and, as a side note, the girls who have both are soooo stuck up, ha).

Incidentally, and not that I would cast him because he is certainly too old by now, but I was watching the animated feature last month, and when they Beast turned human he totally reminded me of Brendan Fraser, ha.

I too could go either way on a Beauty and the Beast film. Actually, I would love to own some take on the Broadway version that I could watch on my TV at home, but perhaps releasing a DVD of the stage show would have been the best thing to do. But I guess the show doesn't exist anymore, right? They ought to film the original productions of all hit Broadway shows and release them to DVD. They do that with some, don't they? Anyway, I did see this one when it came to San Antonio, TX, and it was amazing. But I agree with Drawken about how the enchanted objects would be an issue. I wonder if they would just use effects to make the stage folk in their stage costumes smaller, or if they would just use CGI, which does seem to make a live-action film a bit pointless. It would be too much like watching the original again, but in CGI.

My other issue is how picky I would be about Belle. Perhaps everyone has their own idea of what she should look like. Though that is strange since the idea (to me) should be that she should look as much like the animated character as possible. That's the problem I have. They screw that up so often (remember Rosie O'Donnel as Betty Rubble? What's up with that?). People see them translated differently I guess, and some folks just don't care about casting them to look much like the originals. To me though, it's crucial, and I just don't see Anne Hathaway as looking enough like Belle, except that she's a thin, pale brunette. And Emmy Rossum is only slightly better.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

I <3 Brendan Fraser, but I am not sure if he can get the tone and emotion of Beast.

Enchanted objects...likely CGI.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Thanks for those vids Siren, she actually does have a nice voice!

At the very least I'd hope to get the Broadway show as a special feature on the next Beauty and the Beast DVD. But I really hope they do this as a live action movie.

The enchanted objects they could do either way. The broadway show changes it to say they are slowly changing from human to objects so that could be used to explain a larger size. But CGI (IF done well) could be good.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Wait wait,how can this be a movie?.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Siren wrote:I <3 Brendan Fraser, but I am not sure if he can get the tone and emotion of Beast.

Enchanted objects...likely CGI.
I think he can be pretty surprising with his acting. He's just been stuck in comedies and action/adventure for a LONG time. Too old for the role though, if they're going with the whole 21 thing.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Ariel'sprince wrote:Wait wait,how can this be a movie?.
Well, it's casted, and then filmed, and then released to theatres, and then DVD, and becomes a movie. :P
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Eh, it won't happen anyhow.

Half of the reason for the Broadway show was to see it onstage with the costumes and special effects. There's really no reason to make a live-action version when you just watch the animated film which cuts through much of the stage show's treacle. If they were going to do anything they should have just filmed the show being performed in front of an audience.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Beauty and the Beast Live-Action?

Post by Disney Duster »

SpringHeelJack wrote:Eh, it won't happen anyhow.

Half of the reason for the Broadway show was to see it onstage with the costumes and special effects. There's really no reason to make a live-action version when you just watch the animated film which cuts through much of the stage show's treacle. If they were going to do anything they should have just filmed the show being performed in front of an audience.
I heard that every Broadway show has a video made for all who have to do with the show, to see and remember their work and good times.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

They typically always record a performance for posterity in the Lincoln Center Archives, but that is under the agreement that it's not used for commercial purposes (sometimes, exceptions are made, like when "The Light in the Piazza" was aired on PBS with the Lincoln Center's permission a few years back). You can see them if, like, you have a legit reason like writing a dissertation or something, but the average joe can't just wander into the Lincoln Center and watch "Evita".

Likewise, I don't think they record it for cast members. Maybe big members of the original cast, but I have a feeling even if they did that, we'd see more high-quality video bootlegs floating around.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

the last girl to play belle on broadway was christy carlson romano. she's a true disney actress- it would be cool to see her once again in the role of belle.
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin"
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Actually, I think Anneleise Van der Pol was the last to play Belle. :wink:
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Fidget1234 wrote:the last girl to play belle on broadway was christy carlson romano. she's a true disney actress- it would be cool to see her once again in the role of belle.
I absolutely adore her voice (as Kim Possible), but I don't find her physically attractive at all, so I naturally have always had a problem with her playing the "beauty" of Beauty and the Beast.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Live Action Beauty and the Beast & Sleeping Beauty?

Post by nomad2010 »

Here is an article about moer talk of a live action beauty and the beast. which could mean good news for this maleficent movie we have heard of. could it possibly be a live action sleeping beauty? personally i'd like 6 big directors such a tim burton, james cameron, ridley scott, etc. to each tackle the big six fairy tales as live action. snow white, sleeping beauty, cinderella, aladdin, little mermaid and beauty and the beast.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hilll ... -lady.aspx

Back then, Eisner was such a fan of the Broadway musical version of “Beauty and the Beast” that he wanted to preserve the stage show in some way. Depending on when you’d talk with Michael, he’d either propose producing a TV movie version of B & B that could then air on ABC just like Rodgers & Hammerstein's "Cinderella” and “Annie” did back in the late 1990s. Or Eisner would then plan on going all out, insisting that the live-action movie version of Broadway’s “Beauty and the Beast” had to be shot on location in France’s Loire Valley. So that this “Tale as Old as Time” really could be “True as it can be.

Well, Uncle Michael has been out of power at The Walt Disney Company since September of 2006. But evidently his pet project lives on, given that Menken and his writing partner – Glenn Slater – are supposedly working on a few new songs for this proposed live-action movie musical.

“And when exactly would this live-action remake of ‘Beauty and the Beast’ be put into production?,” you query. From what I’ve been hearing from studio insiders, the original plan was that this film would hit theaters in the late Fall / early winter of 2011 (i.e. the 20th anniversary of the theatrical release of the original animated version of “Beauty and the Beast”). But now that the Disney Digital 3D version of “Beast” is being released in February of 2010 (and – 8 months later -- will then be followed by the Diamond Edition Blu-ray / DVD of Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” ), the thinking in-house now seems to be that there really needs to be some distance between the Disney Digital 3D / Blu-ray DVD versions of “Beast” and the new live-action remake. Which is why (lately, anyway) I’ve been hearing that this proposed production has been bumped out to 2016 (i.e. the 25th anniversary of “Beauty and the Beast” ‘s release).

Now that I know that it may strike some of you as bizarre that The Walt Disney Company would ever consider remaking “Beauty and the Beast” as a live-action musical. But let’s remember that this is the Mouse House that we’re talking about here. Which just revealed that it has a Maleficent movie in the works. So just because an idea sounds unlikely doesn’t mean that it’s not actually happening.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hilll ... names.aspx

MALEFICENTMOVIE.COM

Which – I know – seems like kind of an odd choice. But let’s remember that – even as you read this – the Studio is shooting a “Sorcerer’s Apprentice” movie. And if Nicholas Cage can play the live-action version of Yensid, is it really such a stretch to think that some actress can strap on a horned headdress and play Sleeping Beauty’s nemesis?

I mean, Glenn Close did a pretty decent job with the live-action version of Cruella De Vil. So which modern day actress would you like to see step into the spotlight …
Last edited by nomad2010 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

The Maleficent Movie is already being discussed here: http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... c&start=80
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Disney Villain wrote:The Maleficent Movie is already being discussed here: http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... c&start=80
new b&tb info though. which could be seen as a grain of salt that this maleficent movie could be theatrical.