The Lone Ranger (2013)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

Why does this scream John Carter to me :S I love western movies, so hope this will be a great movie, though I'm not sure whether to like the greyish tone....
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The trailer is less than impressive. It seems Disney can't produce a decent trailer even if their life depended on it. Still, I find it more interesting than John Carter.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I wish they'd give us some story. These trailers (john Carter I'm looking at you) explain nothing. They just want to wow us. Failing.

The cinematography looks stunning though...
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

This is just a teaser trailer! Its not meant to give you the whole sotry, it's simply a tease. I'll wait until the first full length trailer before casting judgement.

John Carter's trailers wren't very well done but I went to see it on opening weekend anyone and thought that it was an excellent scifi/adventure movie. I'd love to get a sequel.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

A New Trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3L5pbgKyWs4" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The new trailer is much better than the previous one. Johnny Depp's accent sucks though.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

They said the same thing about his accent over on aintitcoolnews.com. I think that it's kind of funny though, because his accent sounds just like Tonto from the original Lone Ranger, which is what I think he's going for.
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Re: Disney preps 'Lone Ranger' remake

Post by Hogi Bear »

New Trailer:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd2C0TJTXNA[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd2C0TJTXNA

Download links. Right click and "Save ... As"
http://wdmp.rd.llnwd.net/wdsmp/TheLoneR ... r5_480.mov (58 MB - 480p)
http://wdmp.rd.llnwd.net/wdsmp/TheLoneR ... r5_720.mov (144 MB - 720p)
http://wdmp.rd.llnwd.net/wdsmp/TheLoneR ... 5_1080.mov (298 MB - 1080p)

This trailer is totally Awesome!!!! I can't wait to see this. July 4 can't come soon enough.
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

This portrays our Native Americans in a very foul way. The history of The Lone Ranger was that he was a last of a breed of lawmen who was lead into an ambush that killed all of his unit, injuring him and being saved by a caring Indian portrayed by Jay Silverheels, a Mohawk Indian in real life.

Johnny Depp's portrayal of Tonto is a joke, and the American Indian uprising is slowly coming to a head and will attempt to prevent this film from being the blockbuster success that Disney is hoping for.

They could have found a Native American to portray Tonto, and let Depp by just another sidekick, or better yet, let him be The Lone Ranger.

Those who followed the television series in the 50' and 60's will not put up with the "clown" get up that Depp wears on his head. And the masked man never removed his mask in front of anyone but Tonto, and never did it in a crowd, like the trailers show.

This movie is going to do more harm than good for a franchise that has live a long life in re-runs on television and in the movies. There were two movies made by Warner Bros back in 1949 and 1956. There was also a film made by Warner Bros. called "The Legend of The Lone Ranger" with Clinton Spilsbury, which tanked big time because of their portrayal of The Lone Ranger and Tonto. Warners even had the audacity to go to court to make sure that Clayton Moore didn't make any appearances as The Lone Ranger during the films release. This court action lead to the poor showing at the box office for the movie.

The American Indian movement is a very strong group of Native Americans, who will loudly protest this film when it is shown in theaters around the country. I can only hope that Disney is prepared for the colossal failure that this movie will be because of the casting of this movie.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Very surprised that no one has an answer to this. Or do you all agree with the fact that Johnny Depp is wrong for the role of Tonto?

I am sure that I am not the only one concerned about this. (I am part Cherokee Indian myself.)
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

dvdjunkie wrote:Very surprised that no one has an answer to this. Or do you all agree with the fact that Johnny Depp is wrong for the role of Tonto?

I am sure that I am not the only one concerned about this. (I am part Cherokee Indian myself.)
Depp has identified himself as also being of Native American heritage and was even adopted into the Comanche Nation through a privately-held ceremony under the presence of Johnny Wauqua.

Are you suggesting there was nothing racist or derogatory about the original portrayals of Tonto? From what I can tell, he was basically a sidekick that lacked dimension and the episodes/films themselves carried stereotypes that would probably come off as cringe-worthy to modern audiences. The current incarnation of Tonto is supposed to be authentic of the Comanche culture and is given a rich backstory, and Disney is at least trying to be exceedingly careful about being respectful to Native American culture, inviting people like LaDonna Harris onto the set and even having local Navajo elders perform a blessing before shooting began. I'm paraphrasing here, but Chris Eyre supports the casting of Depp and says he appreciates him for the film and for rewriting Tonto for a new generation. And an insider at Disney claims that feedback from Native American groups thus far has been overwhelmingly positive.

I obviously haven't seen the movie yet but I'm not concerned, and for the record I'm also of Native American heritage on my mother's side. ;)
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Here we go. I am really pissed now. Disney's "The Lone Ranger" has received a PG-13 Rating from the MPAA, which means that there will be a ton-load of unneeded violence, foul language and such.

Those of you who are too young to know the story of The Lone Ranger from radio to television won't recognize this code of The Longe Ranger but he always said, "I will not kill a person. I will only shoot to wound, I am not the judge of his crimes, I will leave that for the courts."

In the years he was on radio, and all the years on television he did not kill a single bad guy, and his trusty Scout, Tonto was always by his side, WITHOUT any warpaint and always willing to help the Ranger carry out his quest for law and order in the old west.

They tried to 'reboot' this show way back in 1981 when Warner Bros. made "The Legend of the Lone Ranger" starring Klinton Spilsbury and Michael Horse in the featured roles. The producers even went to court to force Clayton Moore, the Lone Ranger, to not make any personal appearances and not to wear the 'mask of the Lone Ranger' for a year. The movie bombed bigtime, and the court-orders were dropped.

What gets me is that Mr. Depp says he has some Native Indian in his family tree but doesn't know where or how far back. His indoctrination into a Native Indian tribe doesn't mean that it is okay for him to portray a Native Indian, and there are still protests being organized against the film.

I, myself, am 1/4 Cherokee, and amy insulted that Hollywood couldn't come up with a Native Indian actor to portray Tonto, at least in a better way than Depp is doing. That God-awful dead bird on his head is horrifying, and his use of warpaint is very disturbing. Tonto was a peacful Indian and never lashed out unless he was threatened.

Another thing that really bugs me about this production is that The Lone Ranger will be without his mask and we will get to see what Armie Hammer really looks like. Clayton Moore never revealed himself without a mask except when he was disguised as an old prospector, one of his favorite disguises.

We have two Lone Ranger movies available on DVD, "The Lone Ranger", and "The Lone Ranger and the Lost City of Gold", both were produced by Warner Bros. during the television shows long run. On radio, Brace Beemer portrayed the Lone Ranger and when it went to television Clayton Moore was the first choice of the producers.

I know everyone is going to use my age against me on this. But I was raised on The Lone Ranger, Red Ryder, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry and Hopalong Cassidy, just to name a few. My afternoons after school were spent in front of the radio listening to these great adventure programs.

Now with this movie they have ruined it for all of those remember The Lone Ranger being the special man who stood for law and order and the American way of life. Long live The Real Lone Ranger (Clayton Moore) and Tonto (Jay Silverheels) and may there legacy not be tarnished by this piece of crap that comes to theater July 3rd.
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

You know, I'm fearing that this movie's gonna bomb. Not only is it because it's playing at the same day as Despicable Me 2, but there are people that are somewhat negative towards the movie's promotions. I heard it right there (scroll down if you wanna read the part where the film will flop):
http://razzies.com/forum/what-wuz-hotan ... c6203.html
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

dvdjunkie wrote:What gets me is that Mr. Depp says he has some Native Indian in his family tree but doesn't know where or how far back. His indoctrination into a Native Indian tribe doesn't mean that it is okay for him to portray a Native Indian, and there are still protests being organized against the film.

I, myself, am 1/4 Cherokee, and amy insulted that Hollywood couldn't come up with a Native Indian actor to portray Tonto, at least in a better way than Depp is doing. That God-awful dead bird on his head is horrifying, and his use of warpaint is very disturbing.
Why exactly are you insulted about Depp's heritage? :scratch: The first Tonto was originally played on the radio for over 20 years by John Todd, an actor of Irish descent, and was usually replaced for public appearances because he didn't look even remotely Native American. An actual Native American was hired to replace him at one point, but was subsequently let go because he refused to speak the broken English as written for the character because he personally found it offensive.

Many Native Americans found the original depiction of the character degrading actually, and as I already tried to point out in my previous post, many are hoping that Depp will change that dated, cringe-worthy image for the better. As a Cherokee descendent yourself, I'm surprised you're offended over Depp portraying a Native American but are apparently okay with Todd for doing the same. And where the heck are all these protests that you keep speaking of?

As for the makeup and the crow, check out Kirby Sattler, known for his Native American portraits and the inspiration for Depp's look.

About the bird itself, Depp explains, "It’s his spirit guide in a way. It’s dead to others, but it’s not dead to him. It’s very much alive." Within the following link he also explains the warpaint, and the artist of the original painting reacts to his interpretation. ~cowboysindians.com
dvdjunkie wrote:I know everyone is going to use my age against me on this.
You're the only one bringing up age as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure why you have such a big chip on your shoulder over this other being annoyed that Disney is meddling with your nostalgia; perhaps it would do you well to wait and judge the film on its own merits rather than aggressively attacking it over unfounded assumptions.

I have no clue how well it may or may not do in the theaters, and I don't know how the Native American community will react to the final film, but at the very least Disney is taking extraordinary measures in an attempt to be respectful; offending a culture to the extent you're claiming means losing money, and that's the very last thing they're trying to purposefully do. :p
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

So, I wasn't really interested in this based on the trailers, but I've just watched a few behind the scenes videos and the more I look into it the better it looks. But I do think it's going to have a hard time doing very well at the box office, what with Despicable Me 2. I just don't think many people will make a trip to the theater for this.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Why on earth did Disney put it against Despicable Me 2? It's like they want the movie to fail.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Sotiris wrote:Why on earth did Disney it put it against Despicable Me 2? It's like they want the movie to fail.
It wouldn't be the first time it appears that is Disney's intentions.

Winnie the Pooh Vs The Final Harry Potter movie

And I'm certain there are others I can't think of at the moment
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

disneyboy20022 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Why on earth did Disney it put it against Despicable Me 2? It's like they want the movie to fail.
It wouldn't be the first time it appears that is Disney's intentions.

Winnie the Pooh Vs The Final Harry Potter movie

And I'm certain there are others I can't think of at the moment
Except this movie has many times the budget of Winnie the Pooh and has the potential to be a big bomb. They wouldn't intentionally set it up to fail.

(Not that I believe in the theory that Disney sabotaged Winnie the Pooh intentionally, just stating that the situations aren't comparable)
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

It just hasnt worked up a buzz from anyone I don't think; barely any of my friends knew of its existence! They mostly now know of it due to Helena being on the cover of UK Vogue this month, in support of the film.

Just comparing it to a Pirates/Alice/Oz scale .... just seems to not be quite hitting it for the general public?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:Just comparing it to a Pirates/Alice/Oz scale .... just seems to not be quite hitting it for the general public?
Maybe because it's a western? There seems to be a particular stigma against western-genre films that seems greater than stigmas against other genres. In my own experience, westerns were ugly movies that looked exactly alike that only my grandpas watched. It was until I was older and introduced to High Noon, Stagecoach, How the West Was Won, etc. that I learned the genre could have any value to me.