The Lone Ranger (2013)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

The Lone Ranger (2013)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

(via http://www.laughingplace.com)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 7be375dd49

Disney preps 'Lone Ranger' remake
By Borys Kit and Carl DiOrio

March 27, 2008

Writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio are going from "shiver me timbers!" to "Hi-ho Silver!"

The writing duo, best known for their work on the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films, are in final negotiations to write a live-action big-screen adaptation of "The Lone Ranger" for Disney and producer Jerry Bruckheimer.

The project will be made by Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer Films in association with Entertainment Rights.

"Ranger," owned by Classic Media, began life as a 1930s radio show. Its popularity led to movie serials, TV shows, comic strips and comic books, toys, novels and more.

The hero's origin story begins with a group of Texas Rangers chasing down a gang of outlaws led by Butch Cavendish. The gang ambushes the Rangers, seemingly killing them all. One survivor is found, however, by an American Indian named Tonto, who nurses him back to health. The Ranger, donning a mask and riding a white stallion named Silver, teams up with Tonto to bring the unscrupulous gang and others of that ilk to justice.

Despite the long-standing presence in pop culture, however, "Ranger" has not enjoyed success in modern times. The character's most recent shot at the big screen, 1981's "The Legend of the Lone Ranger," failed so badly that the film's star, Klinton Spilsbury, never worked in Hollywood again. In 2003, WB Network aired a TV movie that served as a backdoor pilot, but it also bit the dust.

Part of the problems are the character's tropes -- wearing a mask, using only silver bullets, a creed that includes not killing your fellow man, the exclamation "Hi-yo Silver, away!" -- which can seem musty to today's audiences.

Rossio and Elliott, however, do have experience bringing back genres that seemed passe. The CAA-repped duo wrote "The Mask of Zorro," the hit adventure movie featuring one of the Ranger's contemporaries, as well as Disney's "Pirates" franchise, which breathed new life into the old skull and crossbones.

Bruckheimer is producing "Ranger," and Bruckheimer Films' Mike Stenson and Chad Oman are executive producing. Jason Reed is overseeing at Disney.

I remember reading something about Disney making a "Lone Ranger" film, but I had completely forgotten about it. This is pretty exciting news! I don't know too much about "The Lone Ranger", but it sounds exciting!
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

I think a Big Thunder Mountain movie would be far more interesting.

But none the less Disney + Jerry Bruckheimer + Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio= me there opening night.
Escapay

Re: Disney preps 'Lone Ranger' remake

Post by Escapay »

Hi-yo, Ames, away! wrote:In 2003, WB Network aired a TV movie that served as a backdoor pilot, but it also bit the dust.
I vaguely remember that tv movie, I recorded it off the TV when it aired, thinking it was the beginning of a new series. But given the fact that they aired it in (I think) May or June of that year, I was unsurprised, and a bit disappointed, when subsequent episodes didn't turn up the following week! :lol: :cry: I think WB was also working on a youth-itized version of "MacGuyver" that year as well (but I don't think they ever aired the pilot). I know that in 2004 they did a youth-ized version of "Dark Shadows" which I (and many others) were looking forward to, and WB strangely passed over it and opted for "The Mountain" instead.

Anyway, I'm excited for this new movie. The western genre is usually (but not always) a reliable one to bring in profits, and the iconic Lone Ranger is due for a comeback as well. Of course, now I'll never get the William Tell Overture out of my head...

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

I'm psyched for this. I was rather into the Lone Ranger as a little kid. There was a movie that was popular when I was very little, and yet I haven't heard anything about it coming to DVD yet. I would love to see it again and see if it was any good, and I'd love to see a new Disney version! Wish they'd do some Zorro movies about Don Diego too, but not just the old origin story. I didn't care much for the Zorro sequel and wish they'd done a prequel or two instead.
blackcauldron85

Apparently Johnny Depp will be playing Tonto:

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... -guns.html
blackcauldron85

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2009/ ... again.html

Production Weekly has a twitter-feed that says Mike Newell(Prince of Persia) is in negotiations to film Terry Rossio & Ted Elliott’s screenplay of Walt Disney Pictures "The Lone Ranger" remake/reboot/retool?

Word is the Suits like what they're seeing in the dailies and are confident in Newell as the director of Jerry Bruckheimer's next ginormous undertaking set for release in 2011. Crowded year with some other movie from the Mouse called TRON 2. Should be an interesting year for WDP. Johnny Depp is the only cast member signed right now. He's the faithful sidekick Tonto, but now the question will be who is the Lone Ranger?
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85

SPOILER ALERT!!! Read at your own risk!

Complete Story Details from Walt Disney Pictures' and Jerry Bruckheimer's THE LONE RANGER Adaptation
http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=71
(via laughingplace.com)
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Any of you notice that "The Lone Ranger" is NOT on the schedule of films to be released in 2010 or early 2011. I will believe this film is actually in the works when we here about a final script, and full casting, and an actual start date for making this film.

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
blackcauldron85

'Lone Ranger' adaptation finds 'Revolutionary Road' scribe
http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/02/l ... aythe.html
(via laughingplace.com)
Cosmic Creepers

Post by Cosmic Creepers »

Everybody who is interested in the film has been wondering the whole time who would be the Lone Ranger. Does it really matter? Johnny Depp is going to be "Tonto". If it's like all of his other movies does it really matter who anybody else is? Though I know some will probably disagree with me, but Johnny Depp is always the star of the show. I love how the people at Disney made their formal announcement that "The Lone Ranger" and the fourth "Pirates" films were going into production at the Walt Disney Studios Showcase in 2008: Johnny Depp came on stage in his "Captain Jack" outfit wearing the Lone Ranger mask. :mickeyface:
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

Gore Verbinski in Talks to Direct The Lone Ranger?

Many of you might be wondering what Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy director Gore Verbinski has planned next. He is wrapping up production on the computer animated film Rango, and it doesn’t look like the Bioshock movie adaptation is going to happen. Word has it that Verbinski might again reteam with Johnny Depp on a big screen adaptation of The Lone Ranger.
http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/09/27/gor ... ne-ranger/
blackcauldron85

It's been confirmed- Verbinski is directing:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/toldja- ... ne-ranger/
(via disneyreport.com)
blackcauldron85

Nothing but logos yet, but the website is up:

http://www.jbfilms.com/#/film/loneranger
(via laughingplace.com)
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Is it just me, or does the logo look a little cheesy?
blackcauldron85

Both logos are kind of basic, but I think that they work for a western. I just noticed, though, that it's just Lone Ranger, no The.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Interesting how the Lone Ranger website pops up, around the same time that The Green Hornet is released, considering the two are related, I believe.

Maybe Seth Rogen will pull an Iron Man and make a cameo. :wink:
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
blackcauldron85

Johnny Depp talks about plans for his 'Lone Ranger' reboot -- EXCLUSIVE
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/01/18/j ... ger-tonto/
(via laughingplace.com)
avonleastories95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by avonleastories95 »

I do not know about this movie.......
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Honestly, I'm really not sure about this. I never saw the original, and I'm not too sure about Disney doing a remake. Usually, it's other studios' jobs to do that.