ENCHANTED compared to animated Disney classics (images)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Escapay wrote: A true Disney fan would hate Enchanted because it made no obvious references to The Rocketeer. Surely they could have fit in a Nazi or even just one gratuitious shot of Jennifer Connelly's cleavage! :P

Albert
They could have also used the line

Giselle: How do I look?
Robert: Ya look like a hood ornament.

Also a reference to The Apple Dumpling Gang wouldn't have hurt either.
musicradio77
Anniversary Edition

Post by musicradio77 »

Vermin Friends wrote:Also, about the other references, those are all listed on Wikipedia. ;) The last three I have from Snow White:

Image Image Image
Thanks for this example. I've seen this one in "9 to 5" where Violet was dressed as a Snow White ripoff played by Lily Tomlin. I posted these screen caps. This was long before "Enchanted" was made. Those of you haven't seen "9 to 5" here they are, but they looked similar.

Vermin Friends wrote:Three more from Snow White, but now I have a LOT from Pocahontas, as well as one or two more from Aladdin, Cinderella and Lion King. ;)

Image Image Image
This one is similar compared to this one from "9 to 5".

I'll post more later.
steve
Gold Classic Collection

Post by steve »

I can't believe that no one has posted a comparison of the poisoned apple rolling out of Snow White's/Giselle's hand after she has fallen to the floor.

Snow White falls from screen left to screen right, and Giselle the other way around, but it's a definite reference, surely?
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

in the shot where they zoom in on the bookshop..a merryweather bakery book is on the left by the window
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Am I the only one who saw this "Aladdin" reference?

Blanket = Magic Carpet
Giselle's turquoise dress = Jasmine's turquoise outfit
Belly dancer = obvious reference to Middle East

steve
Gold Classic Collection

Post by steve »

mooky_7_sa wrote:Image
I've always wondered what's with that woman between Robert and Giselle - is she some reference to Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast? I got the impression that she's a reference to something, cause the camera just kind of lingers on her for no reason...
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

steve wrote:I've always wondered what's with that woman between Robert and Giselle - is she some reference to Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast? I got the impression that she's a reference to something, cause the camera just kind of lingers on her for no reason...
That's why I think it has to be an "Aladdin" reference. Some belly dancers use that technique (holding candelabra on their heads) and Middle East/Arabian countries are famous for belly dancers. Otherwise it makes no sense to have her in the scene.
Vermin Friends
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Vermin Friends »

mooky_7_sa wrote:Am I the only one who saw this "Aladdin" reference?

Blanket = Magic Carpet
Giselle's turquoise dress = Jasmine's turquoise outfit
Belly dancer = obvious reference to Middle East

Good one! I never would've caught that one in a million years! :shock: Nice job, mooky! :D

I think I'll post some of the ones I was going to post earlier before somebody came along and told us off. Speaking of...
Timon/Pumbaa Fan wrote:If you really would like to believe Beauty and the Beast was the first film to have a mismatch couple dancing or that Aladdin was the first movie to have a princess brushing her hair, and that by Enchanted having these in the movie, it was directly "referencing" them, then by all means, believe what you'd like.

Mary Ilene Coselotti and the Fun and Fancy Free clip were the only "real" Disney references. Clearly not impressive for a true Disney fan: a fan who loves mostly everything that make up Disney(the animated movies, the shorts, the theme parks, Walt himself, television, merchandise etc.) and actually knows Disney and is smart enough to point out the Walt era didn't just start with Snow White and end with Sleeping Beauty. A good Spielberg movie usually has more Disney references to offer than Enchanted .
Yes, I'll admit that it could have been complete coincidence that all those things ended up in the film. But because Enchanted was labeled as a tribute to past Disney animation (not the parks, merchandise, etc), everything that has been mentioned is significant, and supports the film's label with saying it is a tribute.

And you keep saying that Spielberg's films have more Disney references than Enchanted, but you never tell us which one, or give us any examples of the references.

Also:
Siren wrote:Can you post a pic of the troll and then pics of all the princesses in the dresses he has on his belt?
I've had that one for a while, but never thought anyone wanted it. lol I'll upload them soon. ;)
Check out some of my other work @ my Deviant Art profile
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Vermin Friends wrote:
Siren wrote:Can you post a pic of the troll and then pics of all the princesses in the dresses he has on his belt?
I've had that one for a while, but never thought anyone wanted it. lol I'll upload them soon. ;)
Oh, please do! Post all the images with the references you found, I want to see them.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

mooky_7_sa wrote:
Vermin Friends wrote: I've had that one for a while, but never thought anyone wanted it. lol I'll upload them soon. ;)
Oh, please do! Post all the images with the references you found, I want to see them.
Me too!!!!
Disney Princess Ariellen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney Princess Ariellen »

steve wrote: I've always wondered what's with that woman between Robert and Giselle - is she some reference to Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast? I got the impression that she's a reference to something, cause the camera just kind of lingers on her for no reason...
I just sort of assumed that the camera lingered on her because she would be providing the "fire's glow" to the "private picnic" about which Giselle is singing in that particular moment. I did think of Beauty and the Beast with the chandelier and Aladdin with the Middle Eastern look of her costume, though.

And to whoever posted the shot of Giselle waving while she and Robert are sitting on the blanket for the picnic and compared it to Jasmine waving from her magic carpet ride with Aladdin? I love that! Al/Jas and Robert/Giselle are my favorite Disney couples; that comparison, intentional or not, made me smile.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Now it makes me wonder what other background singers/dancers are Disney references :)
Vermin Friends
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Vermin Friends »

Disney Princess Ariellen wrote:I just sort of assumed that the camera lingered on her because she would be providing the "fire's glow" to the "private picnic" about which Giselle is singing in that particular moment. I did think of Beauty and the Beast with the chandelier and Aladdin with the Middle Eastern look of her costume, though.
Same here, except I never considered the middle-eastern look.

As promised, here are the caps I took of the troll's loincloth, as well as his earrings. ;)

Image Image Image Image Image

The first shows the earrings, which are Ariel's sea shells. The second shows the troll's back, which are Aurora and Cinderella's peasant dresses (respectively). The third shows Belle's and part of Snow White's. The fourth is basically the same thing, except less detailed, but easier to see. And the fifth is like the second, except the colors are a little more like the original coloring, so Aurora's actually looks like her peasant dress. ;)

I also decided to upload one of the two Princess and the Frog references:

And, three of the bell jar with the rose in it (like the one in Beauty and the Beast) that's in Giselle's cottage:
Image Image Image

I'll try to find whatever I had left, but I think I already uploaded all of the ones I made already- or at least most of them. We'll see. Anyway, enjoy, guys! :D
Check out some of my other work @ my Deviant Art profile
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Thank you Vermin Friends!!!

I haven't seen all those dresses!!!

:D
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Vermin Friends wrote: I also decided to upload one of the two Princess and the Frog references:
Actually, I thought that was a reference to King Triton.

And the dress pics were great! Thanks! :D
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

There's a scene where Narissa insists Giselle comes with her to the fountain, which looks just like the scene where Jafar (as the old man) tries to persuade Aladdin to come with him to the Cave of Wonders. In fact I'm pretty sure it's the exact same piece of animation. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

Disney-Fan wrote:There's a scene where Narissa insists Giselle comes with her to the fountain, which looks just like the scene where Jafar (as the old man) tries to persuade Aladdin to come with him to the Cave of Wonders. In fact I'm pretty sure it's the exact same piece of animation. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Yes indeedy, I recently watches Aladdin and noticed this. :)
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Enchanted Comparisons

Post by Disney Duster »

Siren wrote:Actually, I thought that was a reference to King Triton.
Very good! I didn't notice until you said something, he has a beard like Triton, and it and the crown are made of bubbles (like from water, from the sea). I think they did a cross reference. Kind of like how they had children playing Rapunzel for the upcoming film version, but used square Sleeping Beauty trees.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

How about this one?:
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

And this is a non-Disney reference I found, both Anastasia and Giselle have the same hairstyle and pyjamas :D