King of the Elves

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:It looks like it's back on the shelf at the moment but it's a film that's been in and out of development over the past couple of years so it could conceivably go back into development again soon if they figure out a solution to the problems that they're having with the story. Recent films like Bolt and Tangled went through problems and significant changes during production and made it through so there's still hope for this film.
Grrrr, I hope it won't take long. It has been on-off, on-off, on-of. I just want it to come already. It has never been this long to make 1 movie, besides Tangled right?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
DisneyAnimation88 wrote:It looks like it's back on the shelf at the moment but it's a film that's been in and out of development over the past couple of years so it could conceivably go back into development again soon if they figure out a solution to the problems that they're having with the story. Recent films like Bolt and Tangled went through problems and significant changes during production and made it through so there's still hope for this film.
Grrrr, I hope it won't take long. It has been on-off, on-off, on-of. I just want it to come already. It has never been this long to make 1 movie, besides Tangled right?
Snow Queen, Little Mermaid, Alice in wonderland, Peter Pan, Beauty and the Beast.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Super Aurora wrote:Snow Queen, Little Mermaid, Alice in wonderland, Peter Pan, Beauty and the Beast.
The Thief and the Cobbler. :wink:
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Julian Carter wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:Snow Queen, Little Mermaid, Alice in wonderland, Peter Pan, Beauty and the Beast.
Oh, true, true. thanks guys
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Julian Carter wrote:
indeed jules! Can't think of any better exampleAnd well worth the wait.. Loved that movie!!
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

REINIER wrote:And well worth the wait.. Loved that movie!!
Which version did you see? The Fred Calvert edit or the Gareth Gilchrist restoration?
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Anonymous #1: KOTE hasn't been shelved, if that's any consolation.

Anonymous #2: Honor is correct about Chris [Williams] leaving the project. He's busy boarding some other peoples project right now. Sad, I was looking forward to it. But there were too many notes and he wanted to do something else for a break.
Source: http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2012/ ... ngdom.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
O.B.gene

Post by O.B.gene »

DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

that story has nothing to do with KotE :lol:
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
O.B.gene

Post by O.B.gene »

it's in a similar vein
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

O.B.gene wrote:it's in a similar vein
Actually, Blue Sky Studios's, "Epic," is based on, "The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs," by William Joyce. That movie has NOTHING to do with the elves, especially Disney's, "King of the Elves." "King of the Elves," is based on a short story by science fiction writer, Philip K. Dick. I read it on Wikipedia. Even though it is a false site, but it's worth it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: Is King of the Elves still on hold?

Steve Hulett: "King of the Elves?" Got no idea where it is in the mix.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... ailer.html
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Chuck Williams wrote:Producer/Writer - KING OF THE ELVES

Walt Disney Animation Studios

January 2008 – December 2009 (2 years)

Original CGI feature film in development and pre-production, premised from a short story by Philip K. Dick.

• Brought project and world to WDAS Walt Disney Animation Studios (WDAS) with directors.

• Created believable immersive fantasy world of elves, trolls, faeries, working closely with directors, artists and technicians to achieve "look" of the film.

• Developed story structure, theme, characters and all scenes with directors.

• Orchestrated and led all research, screenings, offsites, trips & lectures.

• Wrote "bible" of the film's world.

• Wrote first two drafts of the screenplay.

• Orchestrated and participated in several pitches to top echelon company's executive leadership of the company.

• Hired all key personnel on the team - story artists, additional writers, Art Director, Associate Producer, VFX Supervisor, etc.

• Worked closely with directors, artists and technicians to achieve "look" of the film.

• Initiated several technical tests to explore realistic eye simulation and complicated vegetation.

• Partnered/worked with studio to create budget and schedule plan.
Source: http://www.linkedin.com/in/chuckwilliams2010
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Plenty of new concept art by the former co-director of the film, Aaron Blaise.
Aaron Blaise wrote:So when we were designing our elves, we wanted them to feel as if they could actually be out in the forest. If they had been there for thousands of years without having been seen, how did they do it? We looked at animals that use camouflage and mimicry to conceal themselves. Eventually the elves began to take on a unique feel. They began to grow leaves right out of their bodies! We thought that there are so many insects, lizards and birds that match the foliage that they live in then why not the elves?
Source: http://aaronblaiseart.blogspot.com/2012 ... years.html
Aaron Blaise wrote:These are a series of characters I designed for a film I was developing a few years ago. Creating fantasy creatures like these is a joy for me. When I was young growing up in the Everglades of south Florida I spent a large amount of time out in the swamps and forests drawing and painting. I often imagined that there were creatures there that I couldn't see. I'd like to add that these were all done well before Avatar.
Source: http://aaronblaiseart.blogspot.com/2012 ... ers-i.html
Aaron Blaise wrote:These are a collection pen drawings from several years ago that I drew over a few days as I brainstormed hidden creature/elf ideas.
Source: http://aaronblaiseart.blogspot.com/2013 ... i-did.html

There's also concept art by Disney animator Russ Edmonds.
Russ Edmonds wrote:These are recent character designs and structural anatomy artwork I did for a Disney film that got shelved. The film was supposed to be the next CG film in line after Frozen. Now, it may never get made. I really enjoyed creating these new characters and playing with preparing them for the CG modelers and riggers.
Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... eam_ref=10
Last edited by Sotiris on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Wow, this is some of the most beautiful & lush Disney concept art I have ever seen. :o

I hope that some of these elements have survived. I would love a true fantasy adventure from Disney, not one set in medieval times or dealing with princesses.

I wonder what the film's current status is.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wish this project would just die already. And stay dead.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

For some reason, Epic came to mind while reading these
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I wish this project would just die already. And stay dead.
Why? What did it ever do to you? Have you seen some of that artwork?

Also, this is Disney. Not everything stays dead at Disney Animation. Look at Tangled, Beauty and the Beast, or the Little Mermaid.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Neal wrote:I wonder what the film's current status is.
It must still be in limbo.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I wish this project would just die already. And stay dead.
Blasphemy.

I really hope we get to see this eventually! Those designs are sooooo nice.