King of the Elves

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I doubt it. That looks so plain, as if it was made on Microsoft Paint.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

looks lame and fake.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

[Andy Harkness] is now deep into King of the Elves, a feature in the works.
Source: http://www.cdispatch.com/lifestyles/art ... p?aid=6867
Michael Crawford wrote:Word has started to emerge that the gears are turning at Disney once more. King of the Elves, a fantasy based on a story by Philip K. Dick, was originally scheduled for a 2012 release before development was scrapped. Happily, allegations have recently emerged that work has resumed on this project. Even better is the recurring rumor that the film has been retooled as a traditionally animated feature, giving Disney’s artists something meaty to work on after Pooh.

Sources report that Chris Williams (Bolt) is now in the director’s seat for the revived King of the Elves. Also, I have some doubt as to the earlier rumors that it would be traditionally animated; it’s looking more likely that it will be another CG production. This leaves only Winnie the Pooh on the hand-drawn slate, although Ron Clements and John Musker are said to have a few new proposals in the pipeline.
Source: http://progresscityusa.com/2010/07/20/s ... formation/
Honor Hunter: Now you all know that Disney Animation was going to do a film called "The King of the Elves," based on the Philip K. Dick story. Well, it too was shelved because of story problems. The take that Aaron Blaise & Robert Walker had wasn't going smoothly. Lasseter decided to stop development on it until they had a better take on the project. Well, now they have that better take, and the version that will be going forward is much different thanks to Chris Williams new direction on the project. That's right, Williams is the new director of KOTE, and it is moving forward in development. While it hasn't received approval to go into production, Williams is one of John's "first finds" at WDAS and he likes what he sees in the young animator/director. Since he came aboard, the story flow has become much smoother than the previous try.

Q: Paul Briggs was on King of the Elves a while back - does anyone know if he is still working on it as well?
Source: http://www.blueskydisney.com/2010/07/re ... rth-2.html
Q: The article is true. Williams is now in charge of the project.

Steve Hulett: Yes, now that Blue Sky has broken it, I will confirm that Elves is back in development. I've talked to artists working on it.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... o-box.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It may be a new logo. I seem to remember either TPATF or Tangled (maybe even when it was "Rapunzel") had a logo like that, black on gray, uncolored. But it may just be my mind playing tricks on me.

But to be honest, I don't even remember the old logo.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

UmbrellaFish wrote:It may be a new logo. I seem to remember either TPATF or Tangled (maybe even when it was "Rapunzel") had a logo like that, black on gray, uncolored. But it may just be my mind playing tricks on me.
Rapunzel, Tangled, Brave (I don't recall TPatF though) all at one point had a black font logo on a white background. However, the difference was that all those logos were stylized while this one is incredibly plain, which is why I agree with the other members that it's probably a fake.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

sotiris2006 wrote:
UmbrellaFish wrote:It may be a new logo. I seem to remember either TPATF or Tangled (maybe even when it was "Rapunzel") had a logo like that, black on gray, uncolored. But it may just be my mind playing tricks on me.
Rapunzel, Tangled, Brave (I don't recall TPatF though) all at one point had a black font logo on a white background. However, the difference was that all those logos were stylized while this one is incredibly plain, which is why I agree with the other members that it's probably a fake.
This one is stylized as well. Not overtly, but it is. I don't necessarily think this is real, but it could be. I wouldn't rule it out.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Someone probably should've told them that they already did Jack in the Beanstalk in the second half of Fun and Fancy Free.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Steve Hulett wrote:I spent most of my time in the story department. Presently, King of the Elves is in script development and board artists are waiting to see pages.

"The new take on Elves is solid, and the story is shaping up."
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... t-diz.html
avonleastories95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by avonleastories95 »

Ugh, I am confused.
THEY CANCELED THE SNOW QUEEN AND THEY ARE STILL MAKING THIS?!?!? DISNEY, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING! DO MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE TO STRAIGHTEN YOU OUT! ALL YOU'S CARE ABOUT IS YO MONEY. NOT WHAT "WE" WANT! SHAME ON YALL!
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

avonleastories95 wrote:DISNEY, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING! DO MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE TO STRAIGHTEN YOU OUT! ALL YOU'S CARE ABOUT IS YO MONEY. NOT WHAT "WE" WANT! SHAME ON YALL!
Disney only cares about money? this is news to me...
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

avonleastories95 wrote:Ugh, I am confused.
THEY CANCELED THE SNOW QUEEN AND THEY ARE STILL MAKING THIS?!?!? DISNEY, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING! DO MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE TO STRAIGHTEN YOU OUT! ALL YOU'S CARE ABOUT IS YO MONEY. NOT WHAT "WE" WANT! SHAME ON YALL!
What's so bad about King of the Elves compared to The Snow Queen? If done right, King of the Elves could bring Disney to new levels. The preliminary artwork posted a few pages back looks extremely promising and seems to show that they are at least reaching for high standards in quality, even early on.

Plus, I wouldn't count out The Snow Queen just yet; as we all know, projects at Disney have the tendency to disappear and resurface over and over until they finally iron out all the kinks in story development. I think I heard The Little Mermaid had been down that route since back in the company's early days (1940's?) and look how that turned out.
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

What's wrong with this story?
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

Apart from that, why do you think WE want Disney to do only fairy tales for now? The last two classics were fairy tales; I think that's enough for a couple of years.
RIPJoeRanft
Gold Classic Collection

Post by RIPJoeRanft »

Snow Queen will eventually get done, but what's the rush? They just released princess films Princess and the Frog and Tangled to critical acclaim. Let's mix things up a little.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Wut.

King of the Elves, from what I've seen and heard, seems like it could be a great movie. Awesome animation, awesome character concepts, original idea... why are you hating on it?
mariadny
Gold Classic Collection

Post by mariadny »

I don´t like the idea.
I prefer fairy tales and classics stories.
But well, I'll wait.
VISITTTTT, SPANISH DISNEY FORUM
http://animacionud.mforos.com/
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

King of the Elves is not as much of an "old" classic as Snow White, Cinderella, etc., but the story isn't that new. Based on the Wikipedia entry, it was written in 1953: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_o ... t_story%29

I think the fantasy aspect of it fits right in with the Disney canon. I am honestly pretty excited about this film, I think Disney could be on the verge of something very exciting, fresh, and new! I just hope that they make this movie so that it stands on its own, rather than trying to force the story into some kind of mold based on past successes.
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
avonleastories95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by avonleastories95 »

I guess I got too carried away. Sorry about that!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It isn’t so much that it’s not a fairy tale (like TSQ), it’s just that it doesn’t even sound that good. To me, at least. Admittedly, I haven’t read the original story, but the Jack/Reboot Ralph and Mort ideas sound more interesting to me.

I think the only reason this didn’t get the ax (at the time) and TSQ did is because it’s 3D (or Motion Capture, can’t remember) and TSQ is 2D. TKotE is a “boy’s” movie and TSQ is a “girl’s” movie. TP&TF failed to meet their expectations--it was a 2D “girl’s” movie. Now that Tangled has soared, they’re changing their mind about TSQ. I’m just worried it’ll end up 3D because of the TP&TF v. Tangled battle.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

I will admit that I've always been quite interested in King of the Elves, and don't know why so many Disney fans seem so repulsed by the very idea of it. If people are going to play the "it's not a fairy tale!" card, then I urge them to look at the very title; it's a fantasy, and features creatures often associated with fairy tales. On paper at least, it certainly comes across as more of a fairy tale (in a tonal and thematic sense) than most everything produced by WDAS between Mulan and The Princess and the Frog. Granted, I've not read Philip K. Dick's original story, but I would imagine that it would fit more the mould of a reasonably cheery American animated family film than anything dark or psychological that one normally associates with Dick's oeuvre (and from what I understand, the original is among Dick's lighter works). I have to say that I'm more intrigued by this film than Reboot Ralph or Mort, actually, and am glad it's back on schedule.