King of the Elves

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

SWillie! wrote:I really hope we get to see this eventually! Those designs are sooooo nice.
And Aaron Blaise's other work is simply first-rate. What a talent! He also has art from The Legend of Tembo on that site, so I suppose until recently he was working at Tradition Studios. I wonder what he's doing now that that studio's been shuttered.

If he's jobless, I really don't think he'll be for long.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

SWillie wrote:Blasphemy.
It would only be blasphemy if it actually sounded good.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
SWillie wrote:Blasphemy.
It would only be blasphemy if it actually sounded good.
While I don't have strong feelings either way (shelving something is sad for the hard work done by everyone involved I guess), I can't help but agree with you to a certain extent.

The plot always sounds so thin and... uninteresting. I'm guessing it was shelved because the story simply didn't work.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

But it's gorgeous! But yes, if and when this film does happen, I hope the story is a little more developed. I assume it would be, since it's been years since we got any kind of synopsis for it.
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

Disney DID NOT quit on "Frozen" after the completion of Wizart's "The Snow Queen." So Disney will not give up on "King of the Elves."
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Honor Hunter wrote:And before anyone asks, there is/was no movement on "King of the Elves" at this time. It doesn't mean there won't be any, but as of right now, Chris Williams is busy helping on other projects right now and John and everyone feels that they'll just let this story sit for a while. It doesn't mean that it's dead, I mean, look how long it took for "The Snow Queen" to actually make it into production. And what it became is miles from where it started out, so who knows what it'll look like when/if it makes it to the silver screen. Animated film take a long time to come together. It doesn't mean that you won't see it be one of these films, but it's not one as of right now.
Source: http://www.blueskydisney.com/2013/06/bl ... m-hat.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Polizzi wrote:Disney DID NOT quit on "Frozen" after the completion of Wizart's "The Snow Queen." So Disney will not give up on "King of the Elves."

sigh
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Polizzi wrote:Disney DID NOT quit on "Frozen" after the completion of Wizart's "The Snow Queen." So Disney will not give up on "King of the Elves."
Are you Putin? Seriously, what is it with you and this wizart thing? This is a King of the Elves thread and you still manage to drag that film in.

I'm truly baffled here. No one outside of you and Russia will see that film. Disney doesn't care about low budget, low technology foreign animated features. Their decision to make Frozen wasn't in any way, shape or form affected by this Wizart film. In fact, it's been in various stages of development over the past 20 years at Disney. So once again:

It's. Not. On. Disney's. Radar.

Sorry if I come off strong here, but its really starting to look like you represent Wizart and are just here to spam the forum promoting their work.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

to be fair I still don't get any of this whlizart hate. yep that's what it sounds like; hate. it's just still doesn't look too bad to me not even visually. UC much worse on TV
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

Well excuse me for creating an example. In fact, how about this? DreamWorks Animation did not give up on "Puss 'n' Boots" after the completion of "The True Story of Puss 'n' Boots." Or Pixar's "Ratatouille" after DreamWorks Animation's "Flushed Away." "A Bug's Life" after "AntZ." "Brave" after "How to Train Your Dragon." And more. Even DreamWorks Animation's "Monsters vs. Aliens" after "Monsters Inc."
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

There's more. "Shark Tale" after "Finding Nemo." "Surf's Up" after "Happy Feet." "Happily N'ever After" after "Shrek." You get the idea.

Back to the subject, Disney has a HIGHER advantage against, "Epic." Once "Epic" gets released, it will give Disney a chance to study the feature, and put it in their own perspectives to do whatever it takes to triumph.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

Polizzi wrote:There's more. "Shark Tale" after "Finding Nemo." "Surf's Up" after "Happy Feet." "Happily N'ever After" after "Shrek." You get the idea.

Back to the subject, Disney has a HIGHER advantage against, "Epic." Once "Epic" gets released, it will give Disney a chance to study the feature, and put it in their own perspectives to do whatever it takes to triumph.
Edit: Misread the post. Never mind.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Re: King of the Elves

Post by Warm Regards »

Apparently, this film is back in production:

[quote]... King of the Elves seems to be dong well and is set for a 2018 debut. It has been shelved for years, but was recently put back in production and even competed with Frozen for a release date at one point!
[/quote]

Source: http://ging-ler.tumblr.com/post/7983011 ... alt-disney

IMPORTANT EDIT: EVERYTHING IS FALSE. DISREGARD THE ABOVE INFORMATION COMPLETELY.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Is the project still dead? Is it being developed? :shrug:
Q: Is there anything else you want to say about upcoming projects? I hear maybe you’re doing a Philip K. Dick thing that you may or may not be able to talk about?

Chris Williams: I think I know what you’re referring to, but I’m not working on that show. At home, I’ve always got my little piles of ideas and characters and genres that I’m excited about, but I’m trying to make a real point of not racing back into something.
Source: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/nonfi ... -williams/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I've found a pencil test by Brian Ferguson, a pencil test by Jamaal Bradley, as well as a couple of concept art sketches by Paul Briggs.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote:I've found a charming 2D animation test by Brian Ferguson as well as a couple of concept art sketches by Paul Briggs.
Thanks for posting! That looks really lovely. It's a shame they never went ahead with this film, because the concept art is all so beautiful. I suppose it doesn't spill pockets the way other films with a more catered demographic do (Frozen, Big Hero 6, Wreck-It Ralph).

I enjoy seeing Disney work on fairytales that don't involve princesses, such as Pinocchio, Alice, Peter Pan, Jack and the Beanstalk, technically Snow Queen, although we all know how that ended up. Does anyone know what fairy tale this is based off of or is it just original work like Brave? I always thought the elves were supposed to come from the Elves and the Shoemaker.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Does anyone know what fairy tale this is based off of or is it just original work like Brave? I always thought the elves were supposed to come from the Elves and the Shoemaker.
The film was based on the short story of the same name by Philip K. Dick which Disney bought the rights to.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Concept art by Claire Keane.

Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Does the fact that concept art is being released for this cancelled film mean that it will definitely not ever see the light of day?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Clay Kaytis reveals in a new interview that the movie was shelved due to creative differences.
Q: What was the next one that you worked on after Tangled?

Clay Kaytis: Well, I finished Tangled and we did a Tangled short and then I was supposed to be head of animation on a film called "King of the Elves". It was a fantasy movie that Disney was developing and at the time Aaron Blaise and Bob Walker were directing this film. Eventually, it went into the hands of Chris Williams and that's when I came on. I was going to be head of animation on that and, maybe a year into it, Chris Williams decided this wasn't the movie he wanted to make and he stepped back from it and the movie kind of dissolved in our fingers.
Source: http://www.ianimate.net/podcasts/item/i ... aytis.html