Future of Walt Disney Treasures line from Leonard Maltin

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
TM2-Megatron
Anniversary Edition

Post by TM2-Megatron »

skippy wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever get all the Cartoons on DVD.

Basically, at that point, we have no reason to upgrade our collections to super-duper, better than real life. ultra hydroponic, superVHDVD mini on a chip.

If you really want to see these things, find a way to get your hands on them in other ways. If they eventually make it to Treasures, the better picture is just a bonus.

I learned a long time ago, not to depend on Disney to do the right thing by their films.
There'll be enough of a reason to upgrade to future HD versions of the Treasures for Disney to justify releasing them now, I think... anything they have the original 35mm source for can easily be transferred to digital format as HD or higher resolutions.

I'd likely buy them again, if they were released on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray at some point in the future. To be honest, a re-release of Donald V2 would be entirely welcome; given a few of the poor transfers on that set.

Besides, we're now pretty close to having the bulk of their classic animated material on DVD. Donald V4 would satisfy most of their customers, truth be told. It would be a bonus to get another Rarities tin with the remaining extant animated material that didn't make it into any of the others, of course.
UncleEd
Banned

Post by UncleEd »

I don't think that something like the Muppets at Disney World belongs on a Treasures because it would have commercial sale value on it's own. Things on the Treasures are traditionally the obscure that have no other outlet. Who wants to waste a spot for something we'd likely get on its own anyway? Fluppy Dog, and Gargoyles, etc. are in the same boat and shouldn't be treasures because they were animated over seas. I think Sports Goofy was too.

I'd like to see the Tony Danza and Harry Anderson Disneyland specials along with the Danny Kaye one and any other anniversary stuff they could find on a treasure.

I'd love to see both Donald specials on volume 4 (MAKE SURE MALTIN KNOWS THEY EXIST!!!!) but would they fit? Scrooge McDuck and Money should go there too with the remaining Chip and Dales.

The no fool shorts could go on the Pinocchio DVD as well but if he hosted enough shows I say put him on a Treasures with Woodlore and all the shorts Woodlore appeared in. Von Drake and Moby Duck just make sense together too. But would you need 2, 3, or 4 von Drake volumes to get them all on? And let's say they should put 3 per disc so 6 per set.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

UncleEd wrote:I don't think that something like the Muppets at Disney World belongs on a Treasures because it would have commercial sale value on it's own. Things on the Treasures are traditionally the obscure that have no other outlet. Who wants to waste a spot for something we'd likely get on its own anyway? Fluppy Dog, and Gargoyles, etc. are in the same boat and shouldn't be treasures because they were animated over seas. I think Sports Goofy was too.

The no fool shorts could go on the Pinocchio DVD as well but if he hosted enough shows I say put him on a Treasures with Woodlore and all the shorts Woodlore appeared in. Von Drake and Moby Duck just make sense together too. But would you need 2, 3, or 4 von Drake volumes to get them all on? And let's say they should put 3 per disc so 6 per set.
Don't know how many volumes Ludwig would need, but I'd say start with the best, and include Moby in the first volume. And it would be great if they included the Jiminy Cricket stuff on the Pinocchio 2-disc, but there probably ARE enough for him to have his own set if they would include the Disneyland eps he hosted (the Christmas one, On Vacation with Mickey and Friends, and maybe some I don't recall), and especially if he shared the set with Woodlore.

As for the Muppets At Walt Disney World, Sport Goofy, Gargoyles, and Fluppy Dogs, well, I have to disagree that Fluppy Dogs would be marketable on its own, and Disney doesn't seem to feel that way about the others either. At this point, I think Fluppy Dogs can certainly be considered a rarity along with some of the other '80's stuff, like Totally Minnie. Both are episodes of the Disney anthology, so I think they could be part of a fine "Totally '80's" themed Disney Treasures set, maybe coupled with the complete Love Bug TV series on disc two (not sure how many episodes of that there were, but I think Disney Channel only ever showed like 4 or so...). Sport Goofy could have been a nice inclusion on the Goofy set, or with one of the Goofy movies, or, considering its content, with some sort of DuckTales release. The perfect spot would have been on the sports themed shorts collection released a while ago, but for some reason they left it off that one (though I hear it IS on it in the UK). Like Fluppy Dogs, it can certainly be considered a rarity nowadays, so I'd welcome it on a Disney Treasures set. I can't imagine why anyone would be unhappy to receive it. Why should we, the fans, complain about getting something like that in the Treasures? I'd think we'd just be happy to get it finally. So, it'd just be a matter of convincing the Disney folks to do it. Considering that they've recycled stuff within the Treasures collection already, any unreleased material should be deemed welcome if it fits in with the title it is released on. I certainly wouldn't see it as "wasting a spot."

As for Gargoyles, I know that can go on its own, but apparently the sales didn't please Disney enough to finish the collection. If I could get the rest in a Treasures set, I'd greatly appreciate it and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Like with The Muppets At Walt Disney World, we'd buy it on its own and it would sell on its own to its loyal fans, but Disney doesn't seem to think they are marketable on there own. What makes you think that stuff is "likely on its way anyway"? How long have they been sitting on them? And where's the rest of Lizzie McGuire? Not that I would suggest that should be in the Treasures collection, but I can easily see the Muppets At Walt Disney World in a WDW themed set. And we definitely need a WDW themed set by now (which could have that EPCOT program with Danny Kaye and the Mouseketeers at WDW also).
UncleEd
Banned

Post by UncleEd »

I forgot to mention before that Oswald, Disneyland, and Destino as Legacy line DVDs were single disc treatments. So Destino would either belong on a Disney rarities 2 or on a new Fantasia Anthology set. I say they should edit Destino in with all the other completed shorts for the 3rd Fantasia with Claire de Lune on the next round of Fantasia DVDs. It would still run 40-50 minutes, wouldn't it? It seems silly to expect a 2 disc DVD for a 10 minute short no matter how important it is. I suspect that's why it wasn't carried over to a Treasure this round.

I can still see Fluppy Dogs being it's own single disc DVD. The problem is Disney stopped releasing its titles years ago. There's enough kids like us who grew up in the 80's who remember it fondly. I'd also say it could have a home on the final Gummi Bears volume or even the Wuzzles. It was a show of that period meant to be a series but was cancelled. I have no idea why.

Wasn't there 2 Sports Goofy shows? I'm all for seeing 80's stuff but not on a Treasure. It seems a bit out of place with that format. Also remember that the Treasure began as a venue to share projects Walt was involved with. Although there have been some post walt content it's always been made at the burbank or florida studio. But those were a continuation of what he started. He never did anything over seas and I always see things like Fluppy Dogs and Sports Goofy in the Disney Afternoon category. I love the Disney Afternoon but that's where these guys dwell.

The Love Bug series should have it's own season set. There were at least 7 episodes. I hate releasing series on the Treasures because they never get completed like the Swamp Fox.

Gargoyles would require at least 3 more discs to be completed. Last I heard Greg Weisman was trying to make this happen as recently as last October.

I'd love to get all of the things you suggested but look at it from a fan of the old Disney too. What's more likely to get it's own DVD stand alone release? A beloved pop culture special/series recent adults think fondly of and would love to own, or a episode of Disneyland with an obscure character or subject that the core generation who grew up with it is nearing their 60's? We have out whole lives to get this 80's stuff but if too much time passes between the 50's and DVD releases Disney may decide that there is no audience for this stuff just because it's "old". So it's better to get this stuff while we can than not at all. And I still say all of your suggestions are great but are strong enough to merit their own release.

As for the Muppets. Disney has mismanaged them from day 1. They shut down the fantastic Palisades figure line, which was the only thing keep those character alive for years. Then they just sat on them. They issued some of the movies to DVD and the first Muppet Show season but heavily edited it. Season 2 took 2 years to get released. Still, what have they done with the Muppets that's new? I'd suspect we'll either get the Muppets at Disney World on a season set or a single release at some point. But I'd much rather get an uncut Muppet Family Christmas or Jim Henson's Christmas Toy. It's unclear who owns Christmas Toy now in fan circles but if it's Disney many doubt they will release it since Toy Story bares a close similarity to it's story.

I tend to be optomistic that these titles will be on their way as Disney's vault runs low or when the powers that be rediscover them. In the early days of DVD there were so many great obscure and vintage and made for TV in the 80's Disney material coming to DVD monthly it was unreal. But when HD DVD came closer the releases seemed to have dried up. I still hope one day the rest will come. But ask yourself what would be moe likely to get a single release, Ludwig von Drake or an 80's beloved cartoon fantasy and I'd have to say Fluppy Dogs would win out. I'd take a vintage Treasure over a contemporary one any day.

Disney needs to have some people like us who know what they have and realize the potential in charge of their DVD releases. I'm sure most of the people there are young and have no idea who Walt Disney was let alone all of the great things he created and their bosses see no value in 80's material. Either that or these people never grew up with Disney and to them it's just a job on the way to making more money. Anyway...
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

UncleEd wrote:I forgot to mention before that Oswald, Disneyland, and Destino as Legacy line DVDs were single disc treatments. So Destino would either belong on a Disney rarities 2 or on a new Fantasia Anthology set. I say they should edit Destino in with all the other completed shorts for the 3rd Fantasia with Claire de Lune on the next round of Fantasia DVDs. It would still run 40-50 minutes, wouldn't it? It seems silly to expect a 2 disc DVD for a 10 minute short no matter how important it is. I suspect that's why it wasn't carried over to a Treasure this round.
Totally agree on all of that. I just see Destino as something that could be added to a second Rarities set myself. Some folks argue that there aren't enough shorts for a second rarities, but I think that's ridiculous if you just figure in everything that hasn't gotten its own set, even excluding most of the educational stuff and just including the better known ones (which I mentioned before, like Jiminy Cricket and the What Should I Do series, and a few others). Of course, we have to get past this "it has to be Walt's idea" concept to include some of this stuff.
UncleEd wrote: I can still see Fluppy Dogs being it's own single disc DVD. The problem is Disney stopped releasing its titles years ago. There's enough kids like us who grew up in the 80's who remember it fondly. I'd also say it could have a home on the final Gummi Bears volume or even the Wuzzles. It was a show of that period meant to be a series but was cancelled. I have no idea why.

Wasn't there 2 Sports Goofy shows? I'm all for seeing 80's stuff but not on a Treasure. It seems a bit out of place with that format. Also remember that the Treasure began as a venue to share projects Walt was involved with. Although there have been some post walt content it's always been made at the burbank or florida studio. But those were a continuation of what he started. He never did anything over seas and I always see things like Fluppy Dogs and Sports Goofy in the Disney Afternoon category. I love the Disney Afternoon but that's where these guys dwell.
Well, they may have been intended for the Disney Afternoon (Fluppy Dogs at least), but they never made it there so I wouldn't group them there. The fact is, they never became anything more than single episodes of the Disney anthology series, and that series is a big part of the Treasures Line. I just don't see why the line can't be given room to grow. Why be stubborn about the idea that it must be something Walt worked on? I understand wanting to keep the content high-quality, but to me it is more than anything a way to release Disney material that is unlikely to be released any other way, and that's how I see it fitting for Fluppy Dogs and Soccermania, and other stuff I mentioned before. They passed on a good opportunity to release Soccermania with other shorts on a single compilation release for some reason, and the thing about Fluppy Dogs is that it is one case where I feel Disney might be right that it wouldn't have enough consumer interest if released on its own. Anyway, this whole issue people have with including '80's stuff on the Treasures is the reason I suggest a set specifically themed to the '80's with only majorly special programs included.
UncleEd wrote:The Love Bug series should have it's own season set. There were at least 7 episodes. I hate releasing series on the Treasures because they never get completed like the Swamp Fox.
While I am not a big fan of releasing shows on the Treasures series for the same reason, they could have easily released all of Swamp Fox on one set if it had been devoted to him, as it should have been. I don't remember Disney Channel ever airing that many episodes of Love Bug, but it's possible there were more, but if not, I could easily see it as part of a Treasures set. Again, my opinion is that the Treasures line should focus on rarely seen Disney that probably couldn't sell much outside of the Treasures line. I just don't see that one selling much outside of the Treasures line, but maybe. The main reason I suggest it and some other shows here is because I get the feeling Disney wouldn't release them any other way.
UncleEd wrote:I'd love to get all of the things you suggested but look at it from a fan of the old Disney too. What's more likely to get it's own DVD stand alone release? A beloved pop culture special/series recent adults think fondly of and would love to own, or a episode of Disneyland with an obscure character or subject that the core generation who grew up with it is nearing their 60's? We have out whole lives to get this 80's stuff but if too much time passes between the 50's and DVD releases Disney may decide that there is no audience for this stuff just because it's "old". So it's better to get this stuff while we can than not at all. And I still say all of your suggestions are great but are strong enough to merit their own release.
I always look at it from the oldschool Disney fan point of view too, as I'm an oldschool Disney fan, even if I wasn't alive back in the day. The thing is, I really don't see Disney releasing that '80's stuff now, when it would have the most chance of being a success, so it's unlikely they'll release it when I'm fifty. Also, I still see this line as a great place to release it. I don't want to see an end to releasing the oldschool stuff, but I think the waves could include a nice mix that might even get a younger group of DVD collectors into the fold. Now, if Disney for some reason is in a hurry to end this line, I guess there's no point. But, I personally am in no hurry for this line to end. I do want to see Donald and Swamp Fox finished more than anything else. I do put Ludwig, Moby, and the leftover Disney shorts on higher priority than any post Walt stuff, but I still want to milk this great line for all its worth, and to me that includes getting some post Walt "Treasures" out of it too if possible. The thing is, there currently isn't any other format for releasing that later stuff that probably wouldn't sell on its own.
UncleEd wrote:As for the Muppets. Disney has mismanaged them from day 1. They shut down the fantastic Palisades figure line, which was the only thing keep those character alive for years. Then they just sat on them. They issued some of the movies to DVD and the first Muppet Show season but heavily edited it. Season 2 took 2 years to get released. Still, what have they done with the Muppets that's new? I'd suspect we'll either get the Muppets at Disney World on a season set or a single release at some point. But I'd much rather get an uncut Muppet Family Christmas or Jim Henson's Christmas Toy. It's unclear who owns Christmas Toy now in fan circles but if it's Disney many doubt they will release it since Toy Story bares a close similarity to it's story.
I don't think the similarity of Toy Story would prevent a release of "A Christmas Toy," and I thought I had read that Disney does own it. I believe the Palisades line was doomed anyway, since, as I understand it, a company bought them out that had no interest in toys. Though, I realize they probably would have squeazed out more figures before then had it not been for Disney. I totally agree Disney has been killing the Muppets. Still, I consider The Muppets At Walt Disney World one of the best Muppet TV specials, and no surprise since Jim Henson was still alive. I severely want an uncut "Muppet Family Christmas," but I want the "Muppets At Walt Disney World" at least as much. I want the Christmas Toy too, but I want those other two more. I agree that all three could sell on their own, but, again, Disney is just sitting on them and the Disney World One would be great if they released a Disney World themed Treasures set, which I've been wanting forever since it's the resort I've visited most often.
UncleEd wrote:I tend to be optomistic that these titles will be on their way as Disney's vault runs low or when the powers that be rediscover them. In the early days of DVD there were so many great obscure and vintage and made for TV in the 80's Disney material coming to DVD monthly it was unreal. But when HD DVD came closer the releases seemed to have dried up. I still hope one day the rest will come. But ask yourself what would be moe likely to get a single release, Ludwig von Drake or an 80's beloved cartoon fantasy and I'd have to say Fluppy Dogs would win out. I'd take a vintage Treasure over a contemporary one any day.
I'd have to disagree that Fluppy Dogs would win out. I really don't think it would. I seriously don't think there is a bigger audience around for Fluppy Dogs than for Ludwig, and I don't think Disney would think there is either. Think about it, Fluppy Dogs didn't get nearly as many airings as Ludwig did with all his shows. He's a character that's even popped up on modern shows like DuckTales, Quack Pack, House of Mouse, and so on. Vintage is big, and while '80's vintage is big too, Fluppy Dogs alone I don't think is worth much as a property. An '80's themed Disney DVD set, however, might be very successful. And I certainly don't remember a time when Disney was releasing tons of their made-for-TV stuff onto DVD in the early days of DVD. All I remember were bare bones Limited Issues of Disney animated Classics. What exactly are you referring to? If such DVDs are out there, I'd like to get 'em! They did start releasing a ton of live-action after a while, but it was mostly bigscreen stuff I believe.
UncleEd wrote:Disney needs to have some people like us who know what they have and realize the potential in charge of their DVD releases. I'm sure most of the people there are young and have no idea who Walt Disney was let alone all of the great things he created and their bosses see no value in 80's material. Either that or these people never grew up with Disney and to them it's just a job on the way to making more money. Anyway...
Have to agree with you there.
ohmahaaha
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ohmahaaha »

UncleEd wrote:Here is what I don't understand. Why couldn't their Legacy series come out in May or June and the Treasures in December? It's more collector friendly that way and we'd be more likely to get all of the things we hope to see. People and Places would make a great Legacy edition and if they did ut like the TLA we'd get them all in one shot. This is why I wonder if Legacy was meant to kill the Treasures on purpose.
I think that the difference between what would qualify as a "Treasure" and what would qualify as a "Legacy" is highly subjective. We all thought for years that the True Life Adventures would have made great entries in the Treasure line. We knew that they all wouldn't fit onto 1 single Treasure volume, but I think we all would have accepted them being rolled out over a few waves.

As it is, we ended up getting them as Legacy editions, which is fine - because that way we got them all at once. Only, everything else that I saw proposed as a future Legacy edition would also have made a great Treasure set, and in fact now we have 2 of those as Treasures.

I say the Treasures line was there first, and that's what they should stay with. Let the Legacy line die a quiet death. If we should have both of these lines ongoing, it might be nice to get something in the spring and not have to wait until December, but I think we'd also start to run out of stuff fairly quickly.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

slave2moonlight wrote:Some folks argue that there aren't enough shorts for a second rarities, but I think that's ridiculous if you just figure in everything that hasn't gotten its own set
I wonder what they were thinking, though, when they didn't include "Susie..." and "Casey..." on the Rarities volume.
UncleEd
Banned

Post by UncleEd »

I think there are plenty of rarities for a volume 2. You have the 60's and 70's left, the Small one, and the shorts from the 90's. Even the Fantasia 3 shorts could go here. Then put on the Jiminey Crickets and the educational shorts with characters and you'd have a fairly full set.

I only group Fluppy Dogs in the Disney Afternoon group because the same people and division made them. Weren't they on the Sunday Night Movie though instead of Walt Disney Presents? I know I recently read that Disneyland is considered dead after around 1983 or so. The movie of the week that replaced it is considered a different series. Fluppy Dogs is like an ET or Flight of the Navigator crowd kind of film. The same people who bought those would buy Fluppy Dogs. It's the same audience. Disney should market it to them. Even if they released it and put an ad on the Platinum DVDs I'm sure new Fluppy fans would emerge. It's a fun little film.

Sports Goofy was passed by for two reasons. It wouldn't fit on the Goofy set (that set was PACKED) and it was animated over seas.

I don't see it as the time has passed forever to do these as stand alone releases though. That's where we differ. I just have a hard time seeing the Treasures crowd lapping these up.

The Love Bug has a fan base so I'd say the TV series would work as a season set.

Swamp Fox runs 9 episodes so it wouldn't fit on a complete Treasure set when they choose to only give us 5 shows tops, 6 in that case since it was 3 and 3.

Palisades was bought out as a result of Disney taking forever to approve anything. This dried up Palisades income so it was sold. If Disney had not bought the Muppets there would have been 2 more years of figures andsales were strong enough at the end to have had a full year of waves lined up in the planning stages. But Disney wouldn't approve anything because they do everything in house now so Palisades broke up the last wave Henson approved into comic con exclusives to give a gradual decline to the series.

You're thinking of Sesame Street. That line was in the works but by that point they were near bankrupt over the Muppets so that is why it all came crashing down.

Muppet Central is where I read Toy Story is why the Christmas Toy is sat on. Muppet Family Christmas may never be released uncut. Disney made HIT cut Kermit from the Emmet Otter DVD and since HIT handles the Frangles who is to say HIT wouldn't make Disney cut the Fraggles? Christmas Toy and Bunny Picnic may still be over at HIT since Emmet Otter is. I think that all films like that where Kermit was involved should have gone with the Muppets themselves.

I love the Muppets at Walt Disney World too but I'd only go along with it if it were on a Disney World theme set with 70's stuff too. It still seems a bit too grand for a Treasure.

I don't remember Ludwig ever being on Duck Tales but I could be wrong. I know he was popular in the 60's but that was the height of his popularity. Now he's a background supporting character at best. Sure he appears every now and then but he still gets confused with Uncle Scrooge. Some people even call him racist because he's a German scientist duck in the 60's so they say he must have been a defected Nazi. Isn't that stupid?

I've seen a lot of early 80's Disney theatrical and TV live action stuff on DVD. This was when they were putting out vintage DVDs as well though. This should happen again. Do you know how many times I've read people asking for A Mom For Christmas on DVD?

I don't think it matters what qualifies as a Legacy and what qualifies as a Treasure. All I was suggesting is they should have 2 outlets for vintage stuff 6 months apart rather that 8 titles 2 weeks apart. Even I can see that's poor marketing. But I would propose that Legacy titles should be material that takes multiple sets to release and make whole waves of that. We could get People and Places, Zorro, Swamp Fox, all that stuff that way. I think that makes a lot of sense and the best part is there's no waiting between waves hoping they get completed before the line ends. Anyone heard from Roy what happened with that? He seemed to feel the sales were strong last year but I haven't seen a peep since. I don't understand why you would reject another outlet for MORE vintage Disney stuff. Why do all the tins need to match as long as we get it? There's plenty of stuff Treasures hasn't touched and shouldn't touch that Legacy could do as long as they keep up the full series per wave.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Lars Vermundsberget wrote:
slave2moonlight wrote:Some folks argue that there aren't enough shorts for a second rarities, but I think that's ridiculous if you just figure in everything that hasn't gotten its own set
I wonder what they were thinking, though, when they didn't include "Susie..." and "Casey..." on the Rarities volume.
Don't know, but there are two more for a second rarities set right there. Another folks may have forgotten, though it's one of the recent ones, is John Henry. I haven't been bothered by the lack of Susie or Casey though, as they're extras on other discs, but they should be included in a second rarities set if there is one.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

UncleEd wrote:I think there are plenty of rarities for a volume 2. You have the 60's and 70's left, the Small one, and the shorts from the 90's. Even the Fantasia 3 shorts could go here. Then put on the Jiminey Crickets and the educational shorts with characters and you'd have a fairly full set.

Considering that there are enough educational shorts to warrant their own set, a second rarities set could be as full as possible if they only include the best of those and drop the idea of a purely educational shorts set. Don't know if all of those are worth seeing, as many may be like the wartime training shorts and not really worth repeat viewings. Yes, I definitely feel they should include the Fantasia 3 shorts, Small One (original version), Scrooge McDuck and Money, the Jiminy Crickets, and all the other desirable ones we've been talking about. And, again, I'd still like an in sync version of "Runaway Brain."
UncleEd wrote: I only group Fluppy Dogs in the Disney Afternoon group because the same people and division made them. Weren't they on the Sunday Night Movie though instead of Walt Disney Presents? I know I recently read that Disneyland is considered dead after around 1983 or so. The movie of the week that replaced it is considered a different series. Fluppy Dogs is like an ET or Flight of the Navigator crowd kind of film. The same people who bought those would buy Fluppy Dogs. It's the same audience. Disney should market it to them. Even if they released it and put an ad on the Platinum DVDs I'm sure new Fluppy fans would emerge. It's a fun little film.
Never heard that Disneyland ended around 1983 and the Disney Sunday Movie was a different show. But, in essence it was the same thing, so why nit-pick. And I'm still not convinced that most of the Treasures audience isn't interested in the '80's stuff. I'm interested in it and in the earliest stuff as well. Anyway, nothing wrong with giving a little something to the younger audience too, which isn't really all that young anyway. Remember that us children of the '80's are in our 30's now, and many of us are collectors of the Treasures sets. I am part of the "Flight of the Navigator"/"E.T." generation, and I haven't missed a single Treasures set since the first wave (except Oswald, which I will get as soon as I have the spare cash again after Christmas). Furthermore, Treasures is the only DVD series I can say that about right now. However, I still don't buy that Fluppy Dogs will appeal to the entire "Flight of the Navigator" crowd. Remember that Fluppy Dogs wasn't a big screen release played over and over again on television even to this day (on Hallmark Channel and such). Fluppy Dogs came and went like a flash. It got replayed a bit on the Disney Channel, but for most folks I suspect it is still only a vague memory. I think it would have way more luck being sold as part of a package set like an '80's themed Treasures release.
UncleEd wrote: Sports Goofy was passed by for two reasons. It wouldn't fit on the Goofy set (that set was PACKED) and it was animated over seas.
Yes, I figured it wouldn't fit, but why was it passed on the sports themed single disc release yet included on the overseas release? The fact that it was animated overseas is not a reason to exclude a film that carried the Disney name, in my opinion.
UncleEd wrote: I don't see it as the time has passed forever to do these as stand alone releases though. That's where we differ. I just have a hard time seeing the Treasures crowd lapping these up.
I don't see it as "passed forever" either. What I see is that the best time for it would be now and even a few years ago, but Disney hasn't done anything with them yet. And I really think you're estimating the average age of the Disney Treasures buying crowd as older than it is. And while the bulk may be older than me, I'm sure there are many Treasures collectors who are my age as well. And, again, I'm from that Fluppy Dogs/Flight of the Navigator era. Just because we buy DVD releases of the '50's shows and the silent cartoons doesn't mean we saw them when they were new.
UncleEd wrote: The Love Bug has a fan base so I'd say the TV series would work as a season set.
Would love to see it as a season set, but I don't know if Disney respects the fan base enough to release it on its own. Releasing feature films is one thing, but they haven't even released the '90's TV movie sequel. Plus, the time to release all that stuff would have been when Herbie: Fully Loaded came out, yet they only chose to release the bigscreen films. It would just really surprise me to see the show get a solo release now. Plus, it wasn't that great of a show, hence the short run, which is why it would be served better to be sold with something else (like combining Swamp Fox with Baca, not that I approved of that).
UncleEd wrote: Swamp Fox runs 9 episodes so it wouldn't fit on a complete Treasure set when they choose to only give us 5 shows tops, 6 in that case since it was 3 and 3.
I'm pretty sure Swamp Fox was 8 episodes.
UncleEd wrote: Palisades was bought out as a result of Disney taking forever to approve anything. This dried up Palisades income so it was sold. If Disney had not bought the Muppets there would have been 2 more years of figures andsales were strong enough at the end to have had a full year of waves lined up in the planning stages. But Disney wouldn't approve anything because they do everything in house now so Palisades broke up the last wave Henson approved into comic con exclusives to give a gradual decline to the series.
Palisades was already in trouble if they couldn't expand beyond Muppet figures. Sad to see them go though. I LOVED those figures. I have several, including three of the playsets, though there are many more I still need to get.

UncleEd wrote: Muppet Central is where I read Toy Story is why the Christmas Toy is sat on. Muppet Family Christmas may never be released uncut. Disney made HIT cut Kermit from the Emmet Otter DVD and since HIT handles the Frangles who is to say HIT wouldn't make Disney cut the Fraggles? Christmas Toy and Bunny Picnic may still be over at HIT since Emmet Otter is. I think that all films like that where Kermit was involved should have gone with the Muppets themselves.
That sounds like sour grapes to me. I mean, Disney has released a lot of stuff with similar plotlines. Not releasing Christmas Toy because of its similarity to Toy Story doesn't really make any sense. It's just too hard to believe. Maybe if they were both computer animated I could believe it. That's too bad about Emmet Otter though. I thought Disney had gotten that one as part of their deal when I heard about its rerelease. Hadn't heard they were cutting that one up too. I am pretty sure they are supposed to have gotten Muppet Family Christmas though, but the issue there was with song rights I believe, so who knows what will happen with it. Sounds like they might not have gotten the Christmas Toy either then though. Yes, I thought that was the case, that the films with Kermit in them had gone to Disney in the deal. Too bad they didn't! Well, I think we can still hold SOME hope for Muppet Family Christmas.
UncleEd wrote: I love the Muppets at Walt Disney World too but I'd only go along with it if it were on a Disney World theme set with 70's stuff too. It still seems a bit too grand for a Treasure.
Well, that was what I was suggesting. As for it being too grand to be a Treasure, I love it but don't see it that way. It is one that I could see them selling on its own though, but it also would be nice as part of a WDW set. A set with Muppets, the EPCOT Opening show with Danny Kaye, Follow Us... To Walt Disney World, and the Mouseketeers At Walt Disney World would be an excellent Disney Treasures release in my opinion.
UncleEd wrote: I don't remember Ludwig ever being on Duck Tales but I could be wrong. I know he was popular in the 60's but that was the height of his popularity. Now he's a background supporting character at best. Sure he appears every now and then but he still gets confused with Uncle Scrooge. Some people even call him racist because he's a German scientist duck in the 60's so they say he must have been a defected Nazi. Isn't that stupid?
Yes, that's stupid, but I don't think THAT many people feel that way about him. True, he's a bit player nowadays, but the point is he still is well known. I don't think people confuse him with Scrooge as much now that we've seen DuckTales and Ludwig has been on House of Mouse and even appears on that new Clubhouse show (at least I think he does). As for him being on DuckTales, he was Launchpad's doctor in the Golden Fleece episode.
UncleEd wrote: I've seen a lot of early 80's Disney theatrical and TV live action stuff on DVD. This was when they were putting out vintage DVDs as well though. This should happen again. Do you know how many times I've read people asking for A Mom For Christmas on DVD?
Off the top of my head, the only live-action '80's Disney TV stuff I can think of on DVD is the Parent Trap sequel that was coupled with the latest release of the original Parent Trap. I could believe that I'm forgetting one or two others, but I'd be shocked if I'm forgetting anymore than that.

Incidentally, one Disney live-action TV show I am dying to see a DVD release of is "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids: The TV Show," though I won't hold my breath.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Lars Vermundsberget wrote:I wonder what they were thinking, though, when they didn't include "Susie..." and "Casey..." on the Rarities volume.
Well at the time Rarities was released I emailed Leonard Maltin and his response (whether true or just an excuse so not to admit to a slip up) was that they were being saved for a future Treasures set.

*edit*

In fact I posted the contents of the email here:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... sey#186656
UncleEd
Banned

Post by UncleEd »

What was in the original version of Small One? Wasn't it an alternate lyrics thing?

I forgot about John Henry but, yes, he belongs of Rarities too.

I'll never understand why that American Legends disc was so hack jobbed. They should have presented each cartoon uncut and added Pecos Bill, Wind Wagon Smith, Ben and Me, and both Casey at the Bats (Did I miss any?) That would be a great, packed themed disc.

"Never heard that Disneyland ended around 1983 and the Disney Sunday Movie was a different show. But, in essence it was the same thing, so why nit-pick. "

I'm just saying that whatever group officially tallies show season runs counts it as being another show.

I'm afraid we're exceptions to the rule of the 80's generation. I've found that among my age peers few care about anything pre 70's and see Disney as being old fashioned. There are a select few of us who enjoy the older stuff, and I enjoy all kinds of older films, but the vast majority seem to care less and live in the now or what they grew up with. I still think this 80's stuff would be a hit with these people but the Treasures may not even be the best place from a marketing stand point. You'd probably want a box set that reeked of pop culture and a silver tin doesn't do that. Plus the way the Treasure are limited in number and distribution would probably kill the success of that. I really think the 80's stuff has the potential to be more successful on its own than as a Treasure.

I remember Fluppy Dogs getting played quite a bit in the 80's. I'm probably a few years younger than you (I was born in 1980) so I may have watched more cartoon stations in the late 80's/early 90's than you would have. I remember Fluppy Dogs first airing on ABC in 85 or 86...maybe even 84. It reaired at least one more time there. Then it was on places like the USA Network, local networks, and the Disney Channel. I'm sure more people grew up with it than you think. Also remember there was a toy line for this film so it had to get some attention to sell those Fluppy Dogs. For anyone who grew up with this it probably hold the same beloved spot as ET or Fraggle Rock or Gremlins and they'll buy if they're aware it's out there. I'd also rather see this come in a 10.00 DVD than a 25.00 one. More people would be likely to buy. I have a feeling that after this first round of Disney Afternoon shows is completed in 2008 that Fluppy Dogs and the Wuzzles will be considered for DVD. I'm even expecting Gargoyles to finish up in 08. There's only so many Disney Afternoon shows to release.

"Yes, I figured it wouldn't fit, but why was it passed on the sports themed single disc release yet included on the overseas release? The fact that it was animated overseas is not a reason to exclude a film that carried the Disney name, in my opinion."

I'm not aware of this. Is this one of those mass market cartoon shorts DVD's? This would be a great place to release all the stuff we're talking about.

I think most Treasures buyers are in their early to mid 30's through their 60's. The bulk I've met seem to be in their 40's or 50's. I know there are exceptions, as I'm one of them, but I've not met many in my age group.

The 90's Love Bug was one of the first Disney DVDs ever. Sadly I never got it but it was released. I'd love to get a copy even though it was strange to have Herbie be a Nazi experiment. Maybe that's why it was never reissued but Geppetto wasn't either.

Palisades tried to make the transition to other lines but nothing sold better than the Muppets. Had Disney backed off long enough for Sesame Street to get started they may still be around today. Before the sale they were even going to add Fraggles and characters like Emmet Otter to the line ups. Sadly that will never happen now.

I think Disney should have got all the Kermit hosted films and done a box set. There would have been Hey, Cinderella, the Great Santa Claus Switch, The Frog Prince, The Bremmen Town Musicians, Emmet Otter, the Christmas Toy, and throw in the Bunny Picnic and Mr. Willoughby's Christmas Tree. Oh, and that Muppet Classic Theater they did for Disney in the early 90's. That would have been a great set. HIT has been treating Emmet Otter and Fraggle Rock right with the bonus features so it's sad that they couldn't have gotten their act together before the sale and did the Muppet Show right.

I would say von Drake is known of today but not well-known. I was thrilled a few years ago to get a vintage von Drake figure on Ebay for 4.00 and he had his glasses. I saw one at a toy show for 80.00 missing and arm without the glasses. Oddly he was never made into a PVC, only a mini Disneykin. Isn't that odd? Not even in Japan where the most bit of players get made into figures has he been made.

If you look up Scrooge on ebay in a lot of cases it's Ludwig merchandise.

I didn't know he was on Ducktales. I'll have to check that out. That's one episode I hadn't got to yet. So many shows on DVD with so many episodes so little time you know...

I forgot all about the Honey I Shrunk the Kids TV show. Yeah, it is odd that vanished fast.

The Christmas Star with Ed Asner was a TV movie they put on DVD. I remember seeing at least 5 other and in the late 90's all new ones were issued to DVD.
UncleEd
Banned

Post by UncleEd »

Interesting thing in Maltin's reply there. I wonder how well recieved they were? It's the only title of that wave not to shelf warm my local Best Buy. Plenty of the rest there though.

The good thing about the Legacy line is that it evened out the titles we misseed in years there were only 3 treasures. Just for fun here is what could be done in the Legacy line:

Complete Swamp Fox
Complete Elfago Baca
Texas John Slaughter Volume 1-3(?)
People and Places Volume 1&2 (Is that enough?)
Zorro Volumes 1-4 (Too many?)

See there's plent that could be released in another series in the spring/summer and still let the Treasures do things like:

Donald 4
Ludwig von Drake 1-3
Jiminy Cricket/Woodlore
More Rarities
Hardy Boys 2
Spin & Marty 2
Annette (Is one enough?)
Educational Shorts
More Disneyland
More Behind the Scenes at the Disney Studios (with all of the shows from the 70's and 80's as well as the little making of segments they'd air on the next upcoming release with shows like Mickey's Christmas Carol or the Disney Afternoon Christmas.) Maybe the Disney Making ofs of the 90's could fit here and John Canemaker's 9 Old Men Film.
Disney World
80's Disney

Anyway, there's at least 14 more Treasures titles alone with no overlap with Legacy. Run out of content? I don't think so!
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

ichabod wrote:
Lars Vermundsberget wrote:I wonder what they were thinking, though, when they didn't include "Susie..." and "Casey..." on the Rarities volume.
Well at the time Rarities was released I emailed Leonard Maltin and his response (whether true or just an excuse so not to admit to a slip up) was that they were being saved for a future Treasures set.
Yeah, I remember that someone got a response to that effect. I still wonder what they were thinking, though, since of all the shorts not included those two really stand out as missing...
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

UncleEd wrote:What was in the original version of Small One? Wasn't it an alternate lyrics thing?
Yes, one of the songs was altered. I'd like to get the original version that I grew up with, not to mention I hear the condition of the current release (on a holiday compilation disc) is pretty bad.
UncleEd wrote:I'll never understand why that American Legends disc was so hack jobbed. They should have presented each cartoon uncut and added Pecos Bill, Wind Wagon Smith, Ben and Me, and both Casey at the Bats (Did I miss any?) That would be a great, packed themed disc.
True.
UncleEd wrote:I'm afraid we're exceptions to the rule of the 80's generation. I've found that among my age peers few care about anything pre 70's and see Disney as being old fashioned. There are a select few of us who enjoy the older stuff, and I enjoy all kinds of older films, but the vast majority seem to care less and live in the now or what they grew up with. I still think this 80's stuff would be a hit with these people but the Treasures may not even be the best place from a marketing stand point. You'd probably want a box set that reeked of pop culture and a silver tin doesn't do that. Plus the way the Treasure are limited in number and distribution would probably kill the success of that. I really think the 80's stuff has the potential to be more successful on its own than as a Treasure.
I see that attitude a lot, but in truth, I don't encounter a lot of general Disney fans daily either, let alone Treasures collectors. You have to go to where Disney fanatics congregate. Now, I still am not sure where that is offline, except maybe off-season at the parks (too far away for me), but online I have learned there are lots of Disney fans of all ages who love all aspects of Disney, and I think most of them would be aware of the Treasures collection releases.
UncleEd wrote:I remember Fluppy Dogs getting played quite a bit in the 80's. I'm probably a few years younger than you (I was born in 1980) so I may have watched more cartoon stations in the late 80's/early 90's than you would have. I remember Fluppy Dogs first airing on ABC in 85 or 86...maybe even 84. It reaired at least one more time there. Then it was on places like the USA Network, local networks, and the Disney Channel. I'm sure more people grew up with it than you think. Also remember there was a toy line for this film so it had to get some attention to sell those Fluppy Dogs. For anyone who grew up with this it probably hold the same beloved spot as ET or Fraggle Rock or Gremlins and they'll buy if they're aware it's out there. I'd also rather see this come in a 10.00 DVD than a 25.00 one. More people would be likely to buy. I have a feeling that after this first round of Disney Afternoon shows is completed in 2008 that Fluppy Dogs and the Wuzzles will be considered for DVD. I'm even expecting Gargoyles to finish up in 08. There's only so many Disney Afternoon shows to release.
I was born in '75, but since I still watch any cartoon stations I can, I doubt you've watched more than me, ha. I'm a cartoonist myself, and would have been a Disney animator if things had gone more according to plan for me. However, I have never heard of it being run on USA and am amazed if I missed that (becuase I watched USA a lot back then. In my area, it only ran on ABC in its initial airing (and possibly the rerun you mentioned), and then later on the Disney Channel. The thing about comparing it to E.T., Gremlins, etc..., is that the exposure for a big screen release is naturally going to be much greater than what was basically a made-for-TV movie with a rather exclusive run. And, in truth, there are A LOT of Disney Afternoon shows left to be released, plus a ton of Saturday morning stuff, and Disney isn't exactly speeding through them. Plus, there's the whole reissue onto Blu Ray. Disney usually doesn't get around to releasing all their stuff, before quitting one format and starting completely over with the next. Yeah, I'm aware that it was a toy line (even before it was an animated program), though I'm not sure how successful that line was, and though it was marketed for everyone, it was primarily viewed as a girl's line (I think the animated program was trying to change that and even the main characters were boys). As for the higher price of Fluppy Dogs in a Treasures set, keep in mind that it would only be one part of the set, not the only program on there. I think Fluppy Dogs needs some support to get good sales, which is why the Treasures collection would be so good for it. I feel like most of those Disney episodes are like that, whether they came out in the '50's or the '80's. They aren't really enough to stand on their own and bring in the dollar amounts Disney would want.
UncleEd wrote:I'm not aware of this. Is this one of those mass market cartoon shorts DVD's? This would be a great place to release all the stuff we're talking about.
Yes. We had a similar release in the U.S., but it didn't include Soccermania.
UncleEd wrote:I think most Treasures buyers are in their early to mid 30's through their 60's. The bulk I've met seem to be in their 40's or 50's. I know there are exceptions, as I'm one of them, but I've not met many in my age group.
I would agree with your guess, and I'm in my early '30's myself, though I think there are a lot of Treasure Buyers in their '20's as well. But this is my whole point. I'm in my early '30's, but I grew up in the '80's and was in High School in the '90's. I'm that "Flight of the Navigator" generation and yet also part of that Treasure buying majority. And even those a bit older than me are into '80's nostalgia. This is why I think the Treasures line should not be opposed to an '80's themed set. I think it'd be a big hit for them.
UncleEd wrote:The 90's Love Bug was one of the first Disney DVDs ever. Sadly I never got it but it was released. I'd love to get a copy even though it was strange to have Herbie be a Nazi experiment. Maybe that's why it was never reissued but Geppetto wasn't either.
Well, that's what VW's were, unfortunately, ha. The '90's Love Bug was only released on VHS. Trust me, I looked into it. I had to settle for a VHS.
UncleEd wrote:Palisades tried to make the transition to other lines but nothing sold better than the Muppets. Had Disney backed off long enough for Sesame Street to get started they may still be around today. Before the sale they were even going to add Fraggles and characters like Emmet Otter to the line ups. Sadly that will never happen now.
They can blame Disney, but it sounds like bad business practices to me. They were around for quite a while doing the Muppets and should have expanded earlier on. A true shame, because they must have had the finest sculptors in the business.
UncleEd wrote:I would say von Drake is known of today but not well-known. I was thrilled a few years ago to get a vintage von Drake figure on Ebay for 4.00 and he had his glasses. I saw one at a toy show for 80.00 missing and arm without the glasses. Oddly he was never made into a PVC, only a mini Disneykin. Isn't that odd? Not even in Japan where the most bit of players get made into figures has he been made.
I have been after a Von Drake toy for a while. Well, I was, but haven't searched for one in some time. I'll get back to it eventually. Cool that you got one! What is tricky, I think, is finding one that is not only in good shape with the glasses but also with his bootle beetle friend, and he may have come with a book or something too. Plus, there was a big, talking Von Drake doll that turns up on Ebay sometimes too.
UncleEd wrote:If you look up Scrooge on ebay in a lot of cases it's Ludwig merchandise.
Well, this is mainly sellers who don't know squat about cartoon characters or who are trying to cover the bases, assuming people searching will make that mistake and having the item labeled as both Scrooge and Von Drake.
UncleEd wrote:The Christmas Star with Ed Asner was a TV movie they put on DVD. I remember seeing at least 5 other and in the late 90's all new ones were issued to DVD.
I'd be interested in a list of these. That's the only '80's one I can think of, but it's a Christmas movie, and that's sort of different because almost anything Christmas related gets a DVD release. I know lots of '90's and more recent Disney TV movies have gotten DVD releases, but that's the only one I've heard of from the '80's, besides Parent Trap 2 as part of that double feature Parent Trap release (unless you want to count the Avonlea type stuff, but that wasn't Magical World of Disney or Disney Sunday Movie material).
Last edited by slave2moonlight on Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

Disney Treasures DVDs I would like to see:

Ludwig Von Drake (multiple volumes of the Wonderful World Color shows)

Ranger Woodlore and Humphrey (not only the shorts but the original WWoC hours)

Jiminy Cricket (Educational shorts plus the hour shows hosted by Jiminy)

Disneyland Vol 3 (From the Pirates of the Caribbean to the World of Tomorrow, Disneyland Showtime, films from the parks no longer shown like America the Beautiful and Captain EO)

The Magic Mirror (TV hours hosted by Hans Conreid as the Magic Mirror)

The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh (all episodes and Dr Syn, Alias the Scarecrow feature)

Annette (MMC serial, plus Annette extras and her unavailable films like Escapade in Florence, the Horsemasters, The Monkey's Uncle, etc. - - multiple sets?)

Zorro (the four one hour episodes, the two feature compilations - all 78 half hours - - in black and white, not colorized!)

Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color (various cool episodes that don't fit an easy category)

Chip 'n' Dale (all the shorts plus the TV hour)

The Prince and the Pauper (feature version or the episodes)

A Walt Disney Christmas

A Walt Disney Halloween

and of course

Song of the South (with The Joel Chandler Harris Story)
So Dear to My Heart
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

Disney Treasures DVDs I would like to see:

Ludwig Von Drake (multiple volumes of the Wonderful World Color shows)

Ranger Woodlore and Humphrey (not only the shorts but the original WWoC hours)

Jiminy Cricket (Educational shorts plus the hour shows hosted by Jiminy)

Disneyland Vol 3 (From the Pirates of the Caribbean to the World of Tomorrow, Disneyland Showtime, films from the parks no longer shown like America the Beautiful and Captain EO)

The Magic Mirror (TV hours hosted by Hans Conreid as the Magic Mirror)

The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh (all episodes and Dr Syn, Alias the Scarecrow feature)

Annette (MMC serial, plus Annette extras and her unavailable films like Escapade in Florence, the Horsemasters, The Monkey's Uncle, etc. - - multiple sets?)

Zorro (the four one hour episodes, the two feature compilations - all 78 half hours - - in black and white, not colorized!)

Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color (various cool episodes that don't fit an easy category)

Chip 'n' Dale (all the shorts plus the TV hour)

The Prince and the Pauper (feature version or the episodes)

A Walt Disney Christmas

A Walt Disney Halloween

and of course

Song of the South (with The Joel Chandler Harris Story)
So Dear to My Heart
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Well, this would be my wish list (off the top of my head and in no particular order, except to complete unfinished collections first):

Donald 4 (with Your Host and This Is Your Life)

Rarities 2 (with Destino and Scrooge McDuck and Money among them)

Educational Shorts

Jiminy and Woodlore

Legendary Heroes (multiple volumes, but the first finishing up Swamp Fox)

Totally '80's (with Totally Minnie, Fluppy Dogs, Return of the Shaggy Dog, Soccermania, etc.., possibly with multiple volumes for other '80's episodes of the anthology, and possibly a '70's set too, and other decade themed sets could work for Killroy and other anthology episodes/sagas)

Von Drake (multiple volumes, the first including Moby Duck)

Disney Celebrations (with Mickey's 60th and park birthday party/anniversary shows)

Walt Disney World (multiple volumes including in the first: Mouseketeers at Walt Disney World, Muppets at Walt Disney World, EPCOT program with Danny Kaye, and Follow Us to Walt Disney World)

More from Disneyland (including Disneyland Showtime, Captain Eo, and other stuff)

People and Places volumes

Disney Americana: So Dear to My Heart and Song of the South Unedited

Disney Adventures in Music: Melody Time and Make Mine Music Unedited

Disney South of the Border: Saludos Amigos and the Three Caballeros Unedited

Doctor Syn

Chip N Dale

Disney Christmas (which should have an original/restored version of Small One, Disneyland Candlelight Ceremony, etc...)

Disney Halloween (Don't know if a full set could be themed on Halloween, but I know many folks would love to get A Disney Halloween Treat, plus there are various shorts that could be compiled, and maybe some Magic Mirror episodes of the Disney series, or other creepy episodes.)

More Behind the Scenes at the Disney Studios (among other stuff, Major Effects could be on this one!)

And, more Mickey Mouse Club and MMC serials could be released, though I'd rather see this show in all its incarnations get its own complete DVD release, and Zorro too.

Of course, some of the above could be tightened up to be released on multiple volumes of fewer headings. For example, Jiminy Cricket's Christmas show could work on a Christmas Treasures set or a Jiminy Treasures set.

I too would like to see the unreleased Disney features, Monkey's Uncle for example, get DVD releases, though I think features should get their own, solo DVD releases myself, but treated well (in other words, widescreen and restored if possible). I know I include some features in my list above, but they are ones that have been edited or deemed controversial, or in the case of So Dear To My Heart, both unreleased for some reason and well matched with the other.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Ah, and here's another idea. We have on Tomorrowland themed set. Since I'm sure anthology material to fit the titles could be found, I think it'd be really neat if they released a Frontierland set, an Adventureland set, a Fantasyland set, a Main Street set, and whatever else. In fact, Song of the South could be released as part of a Critter Country set (is that what that area is called now?). Also, a Mickey's Toontown set could include Fluppy Dogs, Soccermania, and stuff like that. Just some alternative Treasures titles there. And, I'm sure some of these could have multiple volumes, Tomorrowland too.
UncleEd
Banned

Post by UncleEd »

I have a vintage LP of the Small One and that DVD. I'll have to compare the songs but I'm afraid the LP skips a lot when I tried to copy it to a CD this past summer. The child who owned it must have loved it well.

I was talking more about people our own ages and animators our age in general. When I was in college no one cared for the old animation unless it was Chuck Jones. I feel Jones' work is vastly over rated. He did some very brilliant things but a lot of it is crap. But the thing is he said many times it was so. I remember seeing him say a few times that those Road Runner cartoons were just hacked together to make up for more expensive cartoons like What's Opera Doc? Some are quite good but a lot of those are pretty meh. But I think the most impressive thing Jones ever did is the Grinch. I'm in awe at how great this turned out and it's limited animation. Probably only animators or really into it animation buffs will understand why I say that. But compare that to limited animation today even and it's apples and oranges. Anyway, work like Walt Disney's, Max Fleischer, and George Pal's were ignored by my fellow students while the Ren & Stimpy, Beavis and Butthead type stuff was flocked around.

Fluppy Dogs aired a bunch of times around noon on USA. They would often run a 1 hour Hanna Barbera cartoon or 2 half hours ones in that slot and this aired at least a dozen times there. It also showed up on Global and this Canadian station we used to get.

I meant no offense that I probably watched more cartoons than you in that period. I was speaking from my own experience of when I pulled from wathing as many made for TV cartoons and it seems to hold true with many people my own age. We turned away for a few years in high school then came back. That's all I meant. That period would have placed you in high school too. My period of withdrawl spanned from around 1991 0r 93 through 1996 or 97. I watched things like Animaniacs and the latest Disney fare but quite watching cartoon stations and Saturday morning stuff.

Hey, is it just me or do Saturday morning cartoons today over all seem more bleh than they were ten or 20 years ago? You have some gems but most seem to be rehashes of Pokemon to me. I feel sorry for kids today not growing up with fun things like the Smurfs or Inspector Gadget or Teddy Ruxpin. There were a lot of great visuals in those 80's cartoons.

I too would have been a Disney animator had things worked out differently with the animation industry and Disney in general. I got my animation degree in 2003 and unable to find too mand jobs worth moving for I took the cards I was dealt and started my own company doing books, comic books, etc. I'm happy with what I'm doing but sometimes I miss the bright future I dreamed my whole life since age 4 I'd have.

So Fluppy Dogs toys came out first? I thought they coincided? I remember the Gummi Bears and Wuzzles toys too. Even if people didn't grow up with Fluppy Dogs I'd still feel that if Disney marketed to the group who likes E.T. and Gremlins then they'd pick up a lot of new fans. All of that stuff is out on DVD so there isn't much left for us along those lines that's "new". To find something along those lines from that era that is "new" might go over well with this group. I'll use another example. I'm insane about Christmas films, simply mad. But I've found the last few years there are fewer and fewer titles to add to my collection because I have everything tha's been released. There's tons of stuff not on DVD I'd love to get but the studios keep reissuing the same titles year after year rather than expand their line ups. I havea hard time believing that there really are that many people out there rebuying Rudolph and White Christmas every year. Why not issue the rest of the films and make even more money? To me this is what issuing the Fluppy Dogs geared to that core audience would be like.

Sports Goofy should have been on that release you mentioned. Now I only remember that airing on network TV once and I have it taped. It may have been on Disney a handful of times. What was odd to me as a child was Uncle Scrooge wore his comic book colors and was voiced by Will Ryan. Having only known the character from Mickey's Christmas Carol and Ducktales I was baffled. I knew him from Scrooge McDuck and Money too but for some reason that didn't bother me.

"I would agree with your guess, and I'm in my early '30's myself, though I think there are a lot of Treasure Buyers in their '20's as well. But this is my whole point. I'm in my early '30's, but I grew up in the '80's and was in High School in the '90's. I'm that "Flight of the Navigator" generation and yet also part of that Treasure buying majority. And even those a bit older than me are into '80's nostalgia. This is why I think the Treasures line should not be opposed to an '80's themed set. I think it'd be a big hit for them."

Yeah, but do people in our generation or into 80's nostalgia make up enough of the Treasures audience to merit it? I'd say at best we make up 20% at most. Personally I'd rather cater to the older generation first because we have our whole lives ahead of us for our childhood Disney.

I know the VW's were the Model T of the Nazis but that whole Hitler car from hell thing was a bit strange to me. I can't remember if what made the car evl was they dropped a photo of Hitler into the molden metal as the car was cast? I'm surprised Disney didn't get complaints over it or given how PC they are with vintage stuff even allowed it to be filmed. I wasn't offended but it was just so weird. I'm sure I saw a 90's Love Bug on DVD several times in my life. I almost won one on Ebay and it looked authentic. I think Amazon had them used at one time but they were like 40.00. This was back when the other Herbie films came out. It may have been such a limited release that you've had trouble finding it. I've run into that several times.

I gave up on getting the accessories with him. I think he had the Bootle Beetle, a book, a real pencil and a real note pad. saw one go with all that and the box for like 800.00 once. I was just happy to get one with his glasses and that's fairly clean. For beingalmost 50 years old he's in tremendous shape and for 4.00 plus shipping he was a steal. My von Drake Disneykin cost me .99, was part of a lot with 3 other ones, and was wrongly listed as Uncle Scrooge. I only found it because I bought a friend a Hot Stuff PVC from the same seller. I'd like to see the talking doll but have no interest in buying one. I'm just surprised that for how big he was pushed in the 60's, von Drake had a relatively short mainstream career. I also find it odd that when Don Rosa did the Disney Duck family tree he was forbidden to put von Drake on it. There's only one of Scrooge's sisters he could be married to so he covered the photo with a branch but revealed years later that's who he was covering up.

Didn't one of the other Parent Trap sequels make it to DVD too?

"I'd be interested in a list of these. That's the only '80's one I can think of, but it's a Christmas movie, and that's sort of different because almost anything Christmas related gets a DVD release."

Oh, how wrong you are! I have at least 300 Christmas DVDs and there's a TON, mostly well-known vintage stuff, that's NEVER been on DVD. I'd love to get It Happened One Night (a film many critics say is on par with It's a Wonderful Life, the Bishop's Wife, and Miracle on 34th Street), the 3 earlier versions of 3 Godfathers, or some later films like the Night They Saved Christmas, Raggedy Ann and Andy's Christmas (Remember the Big Bad Wolf and his Gloopstick?), and a host of others on DVD. But for some reason these studios won't release these films and refuse third party distributors from releasing them. Disney has In the Nick of Time and A Mom For Christmas alone. Then there's all that Disney Caannel film stuff. With every other Christmas film out on DVD you'd think these other beloved ones would find their way too. I wish things still fell into public domain so we could get this stuff. Those public domain Christmas DVDs have some great stuff on them, let me tell you!

Magic Mirror shows would be a good choice too. I'm surprised I haven't seen that mentioned before.

Woodlore didn't host enough shows to fill a whole Treasures set and there's only a handful of cartoons he and Humphrey appeared in. That's why he'dneed to be paired with another series. Jiminey Crickey may be the best choice, providing he didn't host more than 3 times.) The mirror hosted many times. You could even have the Halloween show later using his footage included so he could fill a set.

What was on the Joel Chandler Harris Story?

With 78 Zorro episodes you prove my case why we need a Legacy line too buty later in the year. Can you imagine waiting for 78 episodes to come out on Treasures?

Now I look at Davy Crocket and American Heroes as being the Fronteirland sets. Fantasyland is nearly everything we have from Disney that's animated. Adventureland is the True Life Adventures since that's what inspired the creation for that end of the park. Hence the Jungle Cruise Ride and many of the removed rides mentioned on the new Disneyland DVD.

Here's an idea. How many times did Tinkerbell host Disneyland? She's a very popular character and an extra could be the peanut butter commecials.