Frog Princess found & renamed!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

sotiris2006 wrote:
enigmawing wrote:Ok, maybe not quite as extreme then. ;)

The whole "cartoony" feel still doesn't seem that far off to me though, although it admittedly seems they're really trying to play off the comedy of the kiss by exaggerating her bit. I do like what they've done with her so far regardless, I think her expressions work well with what we've seen so far of her personality.
I don't think is a matter of personality but the effect the filmmakers want to create. She could have the same personality but with less "cartoony" expressions. Perhaps they've exaggerated her mannerisms to fit with the whole "slapstick-y" mood and tone of the film. I just hope they 'll make her animation more subtle in the movie than they did in the teaser.
I disagree. It's not like 3D animation where characters have to (geometrically) look the same in every scene. This is 2D. Hand-drawn expressions have always been somewhat exaggerated to look appropriate, and last time I checked, Jasmine wasn't too disgusted at the idea of kissing Aladdin. And since tiana doesn't like naveen at all in the beginning, I'd say personality and character growth do have something to do with her expressions, and the way she animates.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

That video makes me crack up- it's so funny. Naveen might turn out to be one of my favorite characters- I just watched the video twice, and he wasn't any less funny the 2nd time. I love it!!! I think that the animation looks great (even in the low-quality video), and it will be so funny!!! I know that some of you are wanting more romance and whatnot, and it surely will have some of that, but of course it's going to be funny, too- it's about people turning into frogs! Just like how Kenai turning into a bear is funny!!!

I'm so excited!!! :pink:
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

Still excited for this movie :D

I'm not too sure on the whole flamboyant villian thing, but at least he has character.

(spoiler) I quite like their reasoning for why Tiana becomes a frog. It actually makes sense as she isn't a princess when she kisses him - he just thinks she is. So the fact that they both end up as frogs isn't really a twist when watching the actual film from the beginning.
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

SpringHeelJack wrote:The scene I saw has already made me determined to hate the movie. I'm pretty sure it's going to be terrible. The font started it for me, and this all just confirmed it. :(
I feel that way too Brendan. I was hoping that this would turn out to be like Aladdin or TLM, but unfortunatly the obnoxious firefly, the voodoo guy, and the fat gator won't help the movie to get that "true DC" status with us fans, but I'm hoping that they're just trying to convince us that the movie is crap, so we'd get to see it and change our minds. Only time will tell.
Disney Duster

The Princess and the Frog

Post by Disney Duster »

I am not saying the film will be bad, but c'mon everyone the animation's not up to snuff and you know it. It's too humorously exaggerated for the serious human princess, and just not good in some places. Look at Naveen's poorly done "cutting a rug" and tripping over his legs, which is also terribly unfunny. Yea, that is rather Swan Princess-reminding too. You want the film to be only as good as that?

Tiana's scream is funny. And some of the animation is beautiful. See, I see the good things too.
Mr arrow wrote:but now that Ive been so informed I will certainly keep a terse eye out for stereotypes ...and right now Goofy and his texas drawl is starting to get my gander up.
Well something like Goofy shouldn't be in a Disney fairy tale, but even still, the firefly is no Goofy, but a very, very negative, unsightly, unfunny cajun stereotype.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

We've still barely seen Ray; I fail to see how he's such a horribly negative stereotype.
Mr arrow
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mr arrow »

Disney Duster wrote
I am not saying the film will be bad, but c'mon everyone the animation's not up to snuff and you know it.
know it? ...know it?...Golly... well for the record I worked in the animation industry for twenty five years of my life (not that it means Ive got great judgement...if anything Im usually quite jaded) and... (PERSONALLY)... I think what little I saw of it looks great ..real great actually. Especially the forties style backgrounds... (but thats a 'personal' opinion and Ive never ever been dissapointed by anything John Muskar or Ron Clements has done in the past...
Well something like Goofy shouldn't be in a Disney fairy tale, but even still, the firefly is no Goofy, but a very, very negative, unsightly, unfunny cajun stereotype.
So you dont like it then? ....
Im not affected by it in either a negative OR a positive way...to me its just a firefly ...a cartoon firefly and I'll reserve judgement until I see it in the context of the whole film I think...and I think it will be fun to see how the character serves the story. ..I mean I wasnt bothered by a rastafarian crab in a fairy tale either. :)
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Mr arrow wrote:know it? ...know it?...Golly... well for the record I worked in the animation industry for twenty five years of my life (not that it means Ive got great judgement...if anything Im usually quite jaded) and... (PERSONALLY)... I think what little I saw of it looks great ..real great actually. Especially the forties style backgrounds... (but thats a 'personal' opinion and Ive never ever been dissapointed by anything John Muskar or Ron Clements has done in the past...
I've never worked in the industry but animation has always been a tremendous part of my life. I'm not sure how much validity that gives my humble opinion but I must agree that what little we've seen looks great so far. But what makes any animation great is all subject to opinion. While I'm definitely hoping to see a throwback to classical "Disney animation," I'm also hoping to see something a little new and different, and I wouldn't say a little extra squash and stretch is ruining anything.

And yes, the backgrounds are especially gorgeous here. :)
Mr arrow wrote:So you dont like it then? ....
Im not affected by it in either a negative OR a positive way...to me its just a firefly ...a cartoon firefly and I'll reserve judgement until I see it in the context of the whole film I think...and I think it will be fun to see how the character serves the story. ..I mean I wasnt bothered by a rastafarian crab in a fairy tale either. :)
I'm pretty anxious to see more of this character actually, as I'm a huge fan of Jim Cummings. ;) But yeah, we have no clue yet what this character will be like in the context of the film.
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

enigmawing wrote:We've still barely seen Ray; I fail to see how he's such a horribly negative stereotype.
Me either it's a cartoon firefly it has personality and charm where is the negative sterotype?
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

I'm still rejoicing at the fact that Disney is doing 2-D Animation again. If Princess and the Frog isn't good enough, then the next hand-drawn film might be. It really is embarrassing Disney ever threw 2D away. But seriously, just WAIT until December before you have your say. It's like if the creators of Freakazoid came back together to make new episodes...it would not be the same at all and people shouldn't expect it to be. So stop comparing this to previous Disney films. Artists change styles so we should embrace the change. We can't expect them to do everything the same every time! So suck it up until you see the end product you were MEANT to see as a WHOLE.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Haven't seen the trailer yet (my good computer is being worked on and the library doesn't allow YouTube), but I can say that whether or not you would like Ray should've been known from the first teaser trailer. I, personally, don't mind the character from what I've seen. So, unless he becomes abnormally more stupid from the teaser to the trailer, I don't think my mind or anyone else's could've been changed on that point anyway.

And I find it hilarious, not to mention slightly idiotic, that anyone would write off a movie that's not even finished yet. I'm starting to get an Ariel's Beginning vibe in here--don't expect a film to be what you want it to be, accept it for what it is.

Sometimes I wonder if things would be better if there were no information given at all, and you saw everything concerning a film in theaters for the first time.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Sometimes I wonder if things would be better if there were no information given at all, and you saw everything concerning a film in theaters for the first time.
I often wonder that myself . . . or if it would be better if it were like the old days, you maybe caught a trailer in the theater or some promos on TV just a few weeks/months before the release.

Getting all this info 6 months to a year or more prior to the release date that we can watch over and over again, frame by frame, leaves people plenty of time to speculate and nit-pick over just a teensy bit of information.

That is both the blessing and the curse of the internet. :p
Marky_198
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marky_198 »

sotiris2006 wrote:
I don't think is a matter of personality but the effect the filmmakers want to create. She could have the same personality but with less "cartoony" expressions. Perhaps they've exaggerated her mannerisms to fit with the whole "slapstick-y" mood and tone of the film. I just hope they 'll make her animation more subtle in the movie than they did in the teaser.
I agree with you. It's really exaggerated, and I guess it's to fit the slapstick-y mood too.

I also think the movie clips look better than the teaser trailer by the way.
The teaser trailer looks extremely cartoonish and sequel-ish.

I can't put my finger on what it really is.
But compare the 2 new shots with the trailer.

The trailer ones look like every sequel that Disney ever produced.
The 2 new ones actually do kind of look like a Disney classic.
What is this look they create only for the classics?
Skin tones, etc just look different.

And the funny thing is, films only look like this when they first come out.
When a restoration is done (like TLM, BATB or Cinderella), this look is gone and skin tones, etc look like a sequel again. It really is the same difference as in these pics.
Interesting.

PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

You can't compare the trailer to the youtube clip. The youtube clip was filmed from TV.

I do understand what you mean though. BatB in particular lost that "thing" on dvd.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Re: The Princess and the Frog

Post by PatrickvD »

Disney Duster wrote:I am not saying the film will be bad, but c'mon everyone the animation's not up to snuff and you know it.
:lol: :lol:

Tell that to Henn, Deja, Musker, Clements and Goldberg. I mean you base ALL this on those tiny segments on a youtube clip, wich is poor quality anyway. Why are you so desperate to convince us of your opinion? Not everyone thinks it looks like crap, so let it go.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: The Princess and the Frog

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Disney Duster wrote:The "Frog" part does NOT have gold sparkles. Those are little bumps that...a frog has. That part of the title is green and bumpy like a frog.
I never said golden sparkles, I said sparkles. And really I was referring to a post by ajmrowland, which said that it looked better with the "sparkles" (it was a slight jab... Being on this site has made me so cynical, not that I don't love it). In fact, to me, I don't see bumps or sparkles, but algae off a pond. I can't really say for sure what it is, the Title is so small, but I don't think you can either.

Anyway, on to Tiana's facial expressions. I have wild expressions, I'm a very quiet person, so I use the my face to say what I mean a lot of the time. It certainly a part of my personality, maybe of Tiana's too, and I think people just look more interesting if they use their face properly.

The quality of the animation- It's from YouTube and taped from a TV, so it's low quality and it's lovely. ALSO, it's very important that no one judges this film to early. As Disney's Divinity said, it's really getting to parallel of AB in here.

So Cindy 3 came out and we all adored it so that set the bar high for AB, and since it was about a Disney Princess, the boards were cluttered with it. And so we begin to over-analyze, people pick sides, fights spark out, yada yada yada, and it ruins the movie for some people.

That's the last thing we want to happen with the first 2-D animated movie. Not that we can't share our opinions, but for a just cause. I don't think that the limited amount of footage we've seen (one teaser trailer and this TV show) is enough to make it a full-blown classic, or a piece of utter garbage. We just have to wait.

Really, this thread gets more ridiculous with every little piece of information.
Last edited by UmbrellaFish on Wed May 06, 2009 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Sometimes I wonder if things would be better if there were no information given at all, and you saw everything concerning a film in theaters for the first time.
I doubt it, because there wouldn't be any advertising and so noone who go see the film and thus the company would go backrupt again and resort to DTV sequels :o
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

Warning from this point on how about instead of watching previews, digging up all the information that you can, and trying to look through every nook and cranny that you seriously wait until December when the film arrives to make a judgment.

I think that's why some of the excitement, joy, and suspense is gone when some of you see new releases because you've practically have already seen them. I have no seen anything prior to seeing this film beside the trailer. I suggest most of you do the same.

What I don’t understand is how one of the most beloved Disney Classic’s Beauty and the Beast has shoddy animation and you all adore the film. So lets just back off with the hate, nitpicking, and overall negativity until we have see the film.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

A Review from someone who saw a test screening:

http://micechat.com/forums/movies/11602 ... ilers.html
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:A Review from someone who saw a test screening:

http://micechat.com/forums/movies/11602 ... ilers.html
Well, that was quite positive, wasn't it?

Anyway:let's withold our judgment a bit until the movie comes out and don't try to be overly negative.