Frog Princess found & renamed!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I like the new name much better. The old name was just really dry and dull. I hope this turns out to be one of the better Disney movies.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

PapiBear wrote:
darth_deetoo wrote:You know the new Doctor Who girl is a coloured girl (geeze, it's so hard picking out a word to describe black people these day because you have to walk on eggshells so as not to offend them!)
How about "Black people"? That's what we are. Or "Africans"? That's also what we are (although some of us deny the term, which is ridiculous). The term "colored" is antiquated, and most of us consider it offensive. The term "people of color" or "person of color" (POC) is acceptable, however. I realize you're ignorant about us (or unaware, if you'd prefer), but you don't have to "walk on eggshells," just learn about us and treat us with the same respect you treat your family.
darth_deetoo wrote:But if you had bothered to read my post properly
Excuse me? "Properly"? Tell me, your highness, just what is the "proper" way to read your royal posts? Whilst having a spot of tea?

Ever stop to consider that maybe you just wrote it wrong? (I doubt it.)
PapiBear ... seriously, I'm white and all out against racism, but that really is not the way to behave! Those two comments of yours that I quoted are exceptionally unpleasant. darth_deetoo is a nice guy and never meant to offend you! If you keep on like that, then I'd really feel like I'd have to tread on eggshells to not hurt your feelings! You're being too touchy, and I have a feeling that it's deliberate. :headshake:
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Not the best name in the world, but it's okay. Still, I myself feel there may be at least a hint of polictical correctness in this film. Anyway (since I'm too afraid to say more), I would like to hear more about the plot. It's pretty elusive.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I don't really like the new name anymore, but I feel like it may be more relevant to the story. Who knows though, we really can't tell anything right now i guess.

OK, so PapiBear and darth_deetoo from my standpoint you two have both said some offensinve comments to each other and it really needs to stop!

First of all, it's hard to describe how just a few words can mean so much if you havn't been discriminated against before. darth_deetoo, the things you said do seem offensive. Disney has never gone by the original stories so by enhancing this story to involve Black people in New Orleans really isn't that different than loaning story details from Hamlet and putting them in the African savanah. So therefore why question this now. I guess it sort of does look like a PC thing, but honestly it's about time. It wouldn't matter when a black princess was coming because whether it actually be a african tale or not it would still suffer from this same critisism

PapiBear I think you can be more aware of the situation. People that are not from the U.S. are not going to understand the kind of history that blacks in the U.S. have had, without really deep research. Therefore you can't blame them for coming off as a little harsh at times. You need to keep that in mind while dealing with anyone now-a-days. And the way you handled this was not classy in any sence at all. If you expect to fight racism then don't fire back with racism. Quotes like, "Tell me, your highness, just what is the "proper" way to read your royal posts? Whilst having a spot of tea?" just make you look bad. Sometime I wonder if anyone really learned from what Martin Luther King was preaching.

I'm sorry for the rant (we've been discussing things like this all semester in one of my classes), but maybe it helped a little. Really this needs to stop or else this topic could get locked.
PapiBear
Banned

Post by PapiBear »

darth_deetoo wrote:You know, I think someone's got a chip on their shoulder.

It's amazing how some people will take a person's comments and misinterpret them to try and score a point.
Score a point? So you think I'm playing a game? *BUZZ!* Sorry, Hans, wrong guess! Would you like to try for Double Jeopardy where the stakes can really change?
darth_deetoo wrote:I'm still trying to work out where I said I didn't like the idea of a black princess, but I felt a black princess was necessary.
OK, well, when you get that worked out, let me know, because I have no idea what you were trying to say.
darth_deetoo wrote:I'm going to say again - Mulan, Kida, Pocahontas, Esmeralda. Mmm, let's throw in Jasmine, Tigerlily, Nita, Shanti and Nani.
OK. Which one of them was Black?
darth_deetoo wrote:You know this is exactly the same kind of misguided reasoning where people decide that it's time that we had a black or female James Bond or Doctor Who. Just to satisfy political correctness.

It extends to anything, be it race, sexual preference or gender. The PC brigade decides that it's time to have a black princess, a gay Doctor, a female Bond.
Oh, I see. So, in your mind, Black women cannot BE princesses, because they are Black, and princesses are anything but Black. I see.
darth_deetoo wrote:Any decisions should be in service to the story. As I understand it, this is based on a story which does not have it's roots in African culture. But as I said, I'll reserve judgement until that time.
Too bad your decision to reserve judgment didn't come BEFORE you said you didn't like the idea of the princess being Black.
darth_deetoo wrote:My concern is that this is just pandering to a vocal minority who scream racism at the drop of a hat. But I see this same person is also beating their chest on the theme park board about gay issues too.
Ah, ok. Well, none of us Black folk asked for Disney to take a Black character and adapt a European fairy tale to her ethnicity. (So you can relax.) We just asked for a Black princess. If Disney's manner of doing that is to do a European fairy tale in blackface, then I agree, it's pretty unimaginative.
darth_deetoo wrote:Mmm, I bet this person was the same kind of person who accused George Lucas of racism with the Star Wars Saga. How Anakin was a sweet, wholesome white boy until he was corrupted and became the baddest brother in the galaxy. Get over it!
If you're talking about me, you sure picked a stupid way to do it.
All have fallen short.
Let's stop throwing stones at people who have made mistakes in their life, and let's start throwing medicines and food at those who need it the most.
- Bono
PapiBear
Banned

Post by PapiBear »

darth_deetoo wrote:For the record, I also think it's pretty cheap to take other people's posts, and isolate quotes outside of the whole posting, then twist them to try and make them look bad.

If you'rs so insecure, or so angry at life, that you feel you have to do that - well, I just pity you.
And isn't it interesting how you never actually addressed the questions I asked you? How convenient for you to do that. Just bypass the issue and concentrate on what a terrible person I am instead. Yes, yes, I know, I'm horrible, I'm rotten - go on, call me what you want to call me. You know you want to call me it. Go on, say it. C'mon, precious. Say the word.
All have fallen short.
Let's stop throwing stones at people who have made mistakes in their life, and let's start throwing medicines and food at those who need it the most.
- Bono
PapiBear
Banned

Post by PapiBear »

Julian Carter wrote:PapiBear ... seriously, I'm white and all out against racism, but that really is not the way to behave!
I don't seem to recall asking you for any advice on how to behave, Julian. And yet, here you are.
Julian Carter wrote:Those two comments of yours that I quoted are exceptionally unpleasant. darth_deetoo is a nice guy and never meant to offend you! If you keep on like that, then I'd really feel like I'd have to tread on eggshells to not hurt your feelings! You're being too touchy, and I have a feeling that it's deliberate. :headshake:
And you're who again?
All have fallen short.
- Bono
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

PapiBear wrote:
darth_deetoo wrote:For the record, I also think it's pretty cheap to take other people's posts, and isolate quotes outside of the whole posting, then twist them to try and make them look bad.

If you'rs so insecure, or so angry at life, that you feel you have to do that - well, I just pity you.
And isn't it interesting how you never actually addressed the questions I asked you? How convenient for you to do that. Just bypass the issue and concentrate on what a terrible person I am instead. Yes, yes, I know, I'm horrible, I'm rotten - go on, call me what you want to call me. You know you want to call me it. Go on, say it. C'mon, precious. Say the word.
I don't even know what you're trying to do here, save for instigate something now.
PapiBear wrote:
Julian Carter wrote:Those two comments of yours that I quoted are exceptionally unpleasant. darth_deetoo is a nice guy and never meant to offend you! If you keep on like that, then I'd really feel like I'd have to tread on eggshells to not hurt your feelings! You're being too touchy, and I have a feeling that it's deliberate. :headshake:
And you're who again?
He's a poster on a public forum speaking his mind as people are wont to and have every right to do, kind of like what I'm doing now. This may be a strange concept, but let's roll with it, shall we?
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

SpringHeelJack wrote:
PapiBear wrote: And you're who again?
He's a poster on a public forum speaking his mind as people are wont to and have every right to do, kind of like what I'm doing now. This may be a strange concept, but let's roll with it, shall we?
As SpringHeelJack points out PapiBear, this is a public forum and anyone is welcome to post their thoughts as long as they do not contain personal attacks. Something I believe you stated and defended (using unforgivable personal insults) on the Selective Service System thread before it was closed.

At UltimateDisney we are not against debate, and we do not censor any political, ethical or faith based debates unless they descend to personal attacks in which we are most likely to simply close the thread.

Please pay more attention to the tone and language of your posts PapiBear.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
darth_deetoo
Special Edition

Post by darth_deetoo »

I've not got anything more to say on this. I stand by my comments, I know I am not racist in anyway, they weren't mean't to cause offence and I think they are only offensive to the overly sensitive.

However, comments made against me here are just personal and uncalled for. But, let the posts speak for themselves - because I have no need, or find no pleasure in arguing with someone with a chip on their shoulder.

Looks like I'm up to ignoring 2 forum members now. At this rate I may as well just quit while I'm ahead!

:x
Left. Waiting for account to be deleted.
Harbinger
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Harbinger »

I actually like the new title better. Something about "The Frog Princess" sounded awkward.
Ting Ting
Anniversary Edition

Post by Ting Ting »

Thank goodness the role will not be voiced by Alicia Keyes! I would rather jump off a cliff than listen to that woman's awful speaking voice! :P
numba1lostboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by numba1lostboy »

Papi and detoo

If you think about it, Nala and Kiara could arguably be African princesses...

In other news, I do not like this new title. It sounds too similar to other Disney titles (The _____ and ______).
I quite liked the name "Maddie" as well.
:pan: Love It.
darth_deetoo
Special Edition

Post by darth_deetoo »

Well, I was going to make reference to The Legend of the Lion King show at Disneyland Paris and the casting decisions in that, but I thought that a certain person would take that out of context too.

I really don't appreciate being called racist by a sanctimonious preacher who has no idea who I am or what I believe in, and who has themselves, made far worse racial slurs and historical stereotypes in their follow up posts.

You know what, I'm stepping back from this. I'm ignoring this person from now on, because this could get very ugly, and I have no wish for that.
Left. Waiting for account to be deleted.
PapiBear
Banned

Post by PapiBear »

SpringHeelJack wrote:
PapiBear wrote: And isn't it interesting how you never actually addressed the questions I asked you? How convenient for you to do that. Just bypass the issue and concentrate on what a terrible person I am instead. Yes, yes, I know, I'm horrible, I'm rotten - go on, call me what you want to call me. You know you want to call me it. Go on, say it. C'mon, precious. Say the word.
I don't even know what you're trying to do here, save for instigate something now.
Well, we could start by actually getting my questions answered. What a novel concept that would be.
SpringHeelJack wrote:
PapiBear wrote: And you're who again?
You're speaking your mind? Really? What are you saying, exactly? Doesn't sound like much.
All have fallen short.
- Bono
PapiBear
Banned

Post by PapiBear »

2099net wrote:
SpringHeelJack wrote: He's a poster on a public forum speaking his mind as people are wont to and have every right to do, kind of like what I'm doing now. This may be a strange concept, but let's roll with it, shall we?
As SpringHeelJack points out PapiBear, this is a public forum and anyone is welcome to post their thoughts as long as they do not contain personal attacks. Something I believe you stated and defended (using unforgivable personal insults) on the Selective Service System thread before it was closed.

At UltimateDisney we are not against debate, and we do not censor any political, ethical or faith based debates unless they descend to personal attacks in which we are most likely to simply close the thread.

Please pay more attention to the tone and language of your posts PapiBear.
Hey, I got no problem with people expressing themselves, but remember - communication's a two-way street, and how things sound from my angle might not be what the speakers had in mind. If some folks don't like how their own words sound from my position, then they might want to reconsider those words. I'm just letting them know how what they say comes across from my perspective. I'm not abrogating anyone's 1st Amendment rights, and it's laughable to imply that I am.

While I can certainly follow forum rules, I'm not here to kiss anyone's rear end or stroke anyone's inflated ego.
All have fallen short.
- Bono
PapiBear
Banned

Post by PapiBear »

numba1lostboy wrote:If you think about it, Nala and Kiara could arguably be African princesses...
They're not even human characters. Nice try but no cigar. Ludwig Von Drake isn't exactly representative of Germans.
All have fallen short.
- Bono
PapiBear
Banned

Post by PapiBear »

darth_deetoo wrote:Well, I was going to make reference to The Legend of the Lion King show at Disneyland Paris and the casting decisions in that, but I thought that a certain person would take that out of context too.

I really don't appreciate being called racist by a sanctimonious preacher who has no idea who I am or what I believe in, and who has themselves, made far worse racial slurs and historical stereotypes in their follow up posts.
Well, really, who you are and what you believe in isn't my concern; what you said is. And I don't appreciate what you said, and I found what you said to be ignorant and insensitive. But you don't like being told that, so instead of discussing it, you pout and stamp your feet and fling accusations and labels at me, as if I'm the offender rather than the offended.

But it's interesting how you're so defensive about all this, coming back again and again to deny it over and over. You must have something to prove. Who you trying to convince, anyway? Me or yourself?
darth_deetoo wrote:You know what, I'm stepping back from this. I'm ignoring this person from now on, because this could get very ugly, and I have no wish for that.
Yeah, well, like Harry Truman said, when you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Very convenient for you to just run and hide and not have to deal with it; just pretend it was all a bad dream.
All have fallen short.
- Bono
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

Yo, could we take the completely unneccessary bickering to your personal e-mails? This thread really isn't the place for this [might I add, random] argument.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
Princess Stitch
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Princess Stitch »

Hm, I'm trying to figure out what this all has to do with the name of the movie....

First of all, darth_detoo isn't a bad person. He was expressing his opinion and I don't see anything wrong with that. All he said was that maybe having a black princess didn't particularly fit with the frog princess story that he was used to. There was really no need to name-call here.

Personally, I feel it's about time there was a black princess and I'm happy to see one. I feel the same as darth_deetoo though. I hope they chose the proper story for her and didn't just slap her into the next production they were doing for the sake of it. I think that Disney has probably been looking at this for years now, and finally decided that they had a story that was fitting. Otherwise they would have put her in rapunzel or something else. I guess some people were just wondering why they chose THIS particular movie as it may not seem suited. I guess in a year or so when we know more about the plot we'll understand.

Lets not forget though that Disney has always given the fairy tales they adapt their own spin. The final product will most likely not end up being much like the European fairy tale that people are talking about.

Anyhow, I enjoy reading people's opinions on this subject. Sometimes it's nice to have a more intellectual discussion than "what colour do you think her dress will be?", but the personal attacks really take away alot of the fun. Discussion and debate is one thing, name calling and rudeness is quite another....